Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 21, 2008, 10:51 am CDT

school

Quote From: profmaryann

We're ahead of ya by 2 weeks, as we start up the 18th. Can't believe that's just 2 weeks away.

We've had a fairly busy summer. We spent 2 weeks puttering around in Northern California -- LOVED IT. The only real "bummer" of the trip (besides a 3-y/o on transcontinental flights) was attending the memorial service of Hubs' uncle. We had hoped to pay him a visit during our trip, too. =(

Vacation Bible School was 2 weeks ago, and 3 out of the 4 of us were involved in some way, either as a student (Jack) or helping out (Anne & myself). Last week, Anne was off at church camp. After a bout with homesickness, she had a BLAST!!. While she was gone, we (*I*) rearranged the furniture in and painted her bedroom. MAN, was I sore yesterday!

The suitcases are emptied and the dirty stuff laundered just in time to fill them again for a trip to Grandma's in South FL, assuming Hubs' car can be fixed in time (it wouldn't start this AM =(  ).

The saga of "M" may be coming to a conclusion. The 2 girls have hardly seen each other the entire summer. M's having to attend summer school complicated matters there.

Hope you've kicked that sinus infection, Becky. How did Scout camp go for the adventurers? Is Matthew recovered by now?

Hope John can find an externship and/or job closer to home. I have a (sort of) culinary question, though. Anne has become ADDICTED to Gordon Ramsey (-ay?)'s programs. Is what we see on those shows pretty close to realistic, or how much of it is GR mugging and playing it up for the cameras? If Anne keeps this interest in things foodie, I'll tell her to seriously consider applying to the Culinary Arts magnet at the HS across town, as it's consistently the best program of its kind in the state and among the top in the country. That's still over a year away, though.

All for now.

Prof

I've never watched the cooking shows...I think a lot of it , though, is played up for the cameras...I think most people get along when they are doing their jobs...culinary kid is still looking for an externship...he is wanting to come home for that...

The HS culinary arts program is a good way for Anne to get her feet wet without investing a bunch of money...then, if she likes it, she can go into a college culinary arts program.  We are hoping that John will consider getting a 4 year degree in restaurant management or something...it can only boost his pay and make him eligible for more jobs in the future...

We've been busy all summer with Boy Scout and Cub Scout stuff...and now Band Camp...School starts Sept. 3rd.

By the way...are you affected by the hurricane passing through Florida?  I saw on the news that many areas are flooded...

Becky

August 22, 2008, 10:04 am CDT

School Issues

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I've never watched the cooking shows...I think a lot of it , though, is played up for the cameras...I think most people get along when they are doing their jobs...culinary kid is still looking for an externship...he is wanting to come home for that...

The HS culinary arts program is a good way for Anne to get her feet wet without investing a bunch of money...then, if she likes it, she can go into a college culinary arts program.  We are hoping that John will consider getting a 4 year degree in restaurant management or something...it can only boost his pay and make him eligible for more jobs in the future...

We've been busy all summer with Boy Scout and Cub Scout stuff...and now Band Camp...School starts Sept. 3rd.

By the way...are you affected by the hurricane passing through Florida?  I saw on the news that many areas are flooded...

Becky

That's sorta what I thought about the Ramsey genre -- it happens, but much of the dramatics are for the cameras' benefit.

As you may have figured from my earlier post, we do our share of "stuff," too. We start off the FIRST DAY of school with a district-wide coupon book sale. The elementary school IMMEDIATELY follows up with (grossly overpriced) gift wrap, and the middle school has a nearly identical drive about a month after that. That's over and above the box tops, soup labels, and the like. I'd imagine that in as small a burg as yours, the fundraising gets old by about Halloween. In our local paper recently, the whine has started coming up to the effect of "I don't have kids, why should *my* tax money pay for public education, especially when it seems to do no good?" The latest manifestation of "ME Generation" selfishness, I guess, as that segment of the population hits retirement age. Sigh.

The center of the storm is passing over us as I type -- things were calm most of the AM, but the rain has picked up in the last 5 minutes, and the worst of the winds are yet to arrive -- some time this afternoon. Schools closed yesterday and today. The worst of the flooding was near the Space Coast, about 140 miles SE of here -- we do need to check in with Hubs' cousin, as she would be right in the thick of that.

All for now.

Prof

September 9, 2008, 10:36 am CDT

did you survive the storms??

That's sorta what I thought about the Ramsey genre -- it happens, but much of the dramatics are for the cameras' benefit.

As you may have figured from my earlier post, we do our share of "stuff," too. We start off the FIRST DAY of school with a district-wide coupon book sale. The elementary school IMMEDIATELY follows up with (grossly overpriced) gift wrap, and the middle school has a nearly identical drive about a month after that. That's over and above the box tops, soup labels, and the like. I'd imagine that in as small a burg as yours, the fundraising gets old by about Halloween. In our local paper recently, the whine has started coming up to the effect of "I don't have kids, why should *my* tax money pay for public education, especially when it seems to do no good?" The latest manifestation of "ME Generation" selfishness, I guess, as that segment of the population hits retirement age. Sigh.

The center of the storm is passing over us as I type -- things were calm most of the AM, but the rain has picked up in the last 5 minutes, and the worst of the winds are yet to arrive -- some time this afternoon. Schools closed yesterday and today. The worst of the flooding was near the Space Coast, about 140 miles SE of here -- we do need to check in with Hubs' cousin, as she would be right in the thick of that.

All for now.

Prof

From watching the news, it seems as if there is just one storm after another after another...and all devastating...Have you had to evacuate for any of them? 

Our town has a lot of older people who are done raising kids...I'm really glad that it was voted that for our school district, the school levy only needs a simple majority...much easier to get them passed...when a super-majority was required, it took several tries, and cuts, to get them passed...I think that the older generation under-estimates how much the younger generation impacts their lives and well-being...our future is in their hands...we had better educate them properly...they will be the doctors, nurses, caregivers, business owners, bankers, politicians, and US presidents of our old age...if the school districts are struggling for money, the kids' education is compromised, along with "our" future...so "my" tax money paying for public education really DOES impact EVERYBODY, no matter their age and "kids in school" status...I agree...sigh...

School is back in session...as of last week...Scott has been bringing home math homework every day, but nothing for his other classes...he claims "no homework" for the other classes...today, I am emailing the school counselor for a list of email addresses for his new teachers...and also to schedule the 504 meeting for this year...I'm not sure what accomodations should be made...he should be responsible for himself by this age...but from what the other Boy Scout parents are saying, he isn't the only one who fails to bring home his work...not that it makes it right...just that we're not alone in our struggles with the homework monster...

Matthew is now in 5th grade...he hasn't had any homework yet...and him I believe when he says "no homework"...he has been honest about it all along, so we can take him at his word...I just hope that the pattern of honesty continues.  Mattew starts band today...he will be playing the saxophone...a friend sold us one at a really good price...and it is in good repair and good working condition...it was a "rent-to-own", and she took it in for a final "free repair" before making the last payment...so all of the pads are good to go, and the keys are all properly adjusted...I need to find out about the service contract that the music store offers...they charge a flat rate per year, and that covers all repairs and one cleaning for the year...and saxophones are the most expensive instrument to maintain...better to replace the pads one at a time than to have a complete overhaul at $350!!

John has 3 more weeks of culinary school before he starts his restaurant experience externship for 3 months...and he still hasn't lined up a restaurant...so he is scrambling at the last minute...he plans to come home for the externship...so he has been contacting local restaurants...a couple have said "no", one gave him a mini interview over the phone, and asked him to send his resume, and the rest gave him their email addresses, so he can send them his resume and overview of the externship details.  One place said to come and see them when he gets to town.  John is supposed to check today on whether he has to have a place lined up before the 3 weeks is up, or whether he has a "grace period"...because doing it long-distance is difficult...the restaurant managers/owners will probably want to interview him face-to-face, and at $100 per round trip for gas, he can't afford to make multiple trips...

John was "laid off" from his job...zero hours, and being "on call" for anybody who doesn't show up for their shift...the manager of the place is flakey...several of the employees are on "on call" status...it seems that if an employee makes mistakes, she "punishes" them by taking away their hours...and these are MINOR mistakes, like forgetting to put toast on some of the breakfast plates...partly because the kitchen staff is slow at getting the toast out...he is a server (or was)...we have been after him since January to find another job...but he didn't...my sister in law suggested that he go to the temp agency...maybe get some hours through them...anywhere...but I didn't hear whether he actually got there or called yesterday to follow up...he hasn't heard from them since he applied last week...and he needs money to pay for his gas and parking for the rest of the three weeks, plus money for gas to get home...and money for gas to get out to his restaurant interviews...and if the externship is non-paid, he will need to find a paying job locally, to pay for his gas back and forth...and we don't have spare money laying around to support him...he will live at home during the externship, so he won't have rent...

However, when he is done with school, and working, he will be paying rent to us, which will go into a savings account for him (in our name, so he doesn't have access to it), and when he has enough saved up, he can move into his own apartment, buy furniture, and live on his own...

But, the bombshell came a couple of weeks ago...as if we didn't already have enough stress...(with hubby's knee injury, and the passing of hubby's mom, and pressures of his job, and our volunteer ventures with Boy Scouts and band)...when I went online to pay our cell phone bill, I discovered that John had used up all of our minutes, all of our roll-over minutes, and had gone 1265 minutes OVER...at 45 cents per minute...that's over $550 in overage charges!!   I talked with AT&T, and they reduced it down to $120 in overage charges...very nice of them...and John will be paying every cent of it!!  But that's NOT the WORST of it!!  I grilled him about WHO he had been talking with, and WHAT they could possibly be spending 3 HOURS PER DAY talking about!!  He met somebody online and broke ALL of the internet safety rules by giving out his personal information AND phone number...which we had told him NOT to do...he was only to use his phone for business and school-related calls (calling us is free)...I did a reverse phone number look-up, and we called the home number...it was one kid that he has been talking to...but we told him that on the internet, you don't know who you're talking to...it could be a DOG for all you know!!  (BTW, I'm NOT a dog...I'm a real mom with real kids and real problems)...anyway, our son told us that he is gay, and that he has fallen "in love" with the kid he has been conversing with...he met him on myspace or one of those sites, and he has been spending a bunch of time on live-chat...and then moved to phone conversations...he and this kid were planning on getting an apartment together (the other kid is 18...confirmed by HIS MOM)...thank goodness that neither of them has any MONEY!! I think this kid had a huge influence on our son's "decision"... 

John asked me NOT to share his "news" with DAD...but of course, I did...that's why we've been married for 27 years...NO SECRETS between each other...and hubby appreciated the heads up...

Last night, hubby happened to be in the town where our son is...for his work...he had a heart-to-heart talk with John, and got the full story...and hubby had some hard questions for him...he gave John a graphic description of gay relationships...which made John grimace...a GOOD sign...and hubby told him that he thinks John is confused about those issues...and that he shouldn't worry about it right now...time will tell...right now, he needs put ALL of his focus on school and finding a restaurant for his externship...and we are offering to pay for counseling for him when he comes back into town (confidential, of course...he only needs to share with us what he feels like sharing)...not to sway him in any particular direction, but to give him the tools he needs to cope with life in general, and to help him find direction...actually, I think that ALL young adults need some kind of counseling...some un-biased third party to tell them what we parents have been saying all along...but we as parents can't possibly prepare them for EVERY one of life's circumstances...all we can do is try to give them the tools to figure it out for themselves...

And, I just don't think that John "fits" the "mold" of being gay...and he seems to be fabricating memories...yes, he did play mostly with the girls when he was in day care...the little boys did a lot of hitting, which he didn't like...but that isn't an indication of being gay...and the one girl friend that he had didn't have any "appeal" to him...but she was only ONE girl...and obviously not his match...and being too shy to ask other girls out doesn't mean that he is gay either...Deep down, I just don't see it...maybe I'm just in total denial...but right now, I'm not going to put any more worry into it...time will tell...

As a result of the minutes overage, we have put a block on John's phone for the numbers that he was calling to run up our phone bill...both the cell phone and home number of the kid...but we can't stop him from talking online with him right now...however, when he comes home we will NOT be providing a wireless router for his computer...he will have to use OUR computer to go online...SUPERVISED...and he will NOT be allowed to go to myspace, facebook, or any site like it...only school and work-related sites...and if he breaks the phone rules again, we will take away his phone, and he will have to pay for a pay as you go phone himself...

I definitely feel that the "distractions" are what have kept him from finding a new job, getting his externship lined up, and probably to getting laid-off too...or maybe he let the word out about his "orientation", and the boss didn't like it...we are NOT spreading the word among our family and friends...it's hard to "un-ring" a bell...best not to say anything until he gets straight in his own mind (no pun intended)...Not to discuss politics here, but I really hope that he doesn't let his confusion get in the way of making a good decision on who to vote for in November...we know who WE are voting for...and he has the right to make his own decisions...but he needs to look at ALL of the issues and details about the canditates...most of Washington State (the Eastern half, anyway) is of the conservative mindset...including us...and experience counts!!

Anyway...that's the skinny on our lives...but we did have a fun summer...Scout camp, family reunion, and putting in a pond and waterfall...but our existing fish pond was raided last week by raccoons, who ate all of our fish and destroyed all of our beautiful plants in the process...we are not in a hurry to replace the fish...why feed the raccoons??  Our neighbor down the street feeds the ferral cats...and the raccoons and skunks too!! (and that's why they hang around)...

For all of their "trouble", I painted a cat rock for my brother and his wife...we are so grateful that our son was able to live with them while in school...think of how much trouble he COULD have gotten into (I shudder to think about it!!)...I used some pictures of their cat to paint her portrait...she is a Snowshoe cat...a cross between a Siamese and an American Shorthair...here she is...I'm not sure why the picture showed up so huge...I reduced it on our computer to email size, and I also tried to edit it smaller on this website...anyway...I hope your life is a little less "eventful"...I like mundane better...Becky

September 10, 2008, 7:36 am CDT

School Issues

From watching the news, it seems as if there is just one storm after another after another...and all devastating...Have you had to evacuate for any of them? 

Our town has a lot of older people who are done raising kids...I'm really glad that it was voted that for our school district, the school levy only needs a simple majority...much easier to get them passed...when a super-majority was required, it took several tries, and cuts, to get them passed...I think that the older generation under-estimates how much the younger generation impacts their lives and well-being...our future is in their hands...we had better educate them properly...they will be the doctors, nurses, caregivers, business owners, bankers, politicians, and US presidents of our old age...if the school districts are struggling for money, the kids' education is compromised, along with "our" future...so "my" tax money paying for public education really DOES impact EVERYBODY, no matter their age and "kids in school" status...I agree...sigh...

School is back in session...as of last week...Scott has been bringing home math homework every day, but nothing for his other classes...he claims "no homework" for the other classes...today, I am emailing the school counselor for a list of email addresses for his new teachers...and also to schedule the 504 meeting for this year...I'm not sure what accomodations should be made...he should be responsible for himself by this age...but from what the other Boy Scout parents are saying, he isn't the only one who fails to bring home his work...not that it makes it right...just that we're not alone in our struggles with the homework monster...

Matthew is now in 5th grade...he hasn't had any homework yet...and him I believe when he says "no homework"...he has been honest about it all along, so we can take him at his word...I just hope that the pattern of honesty continues.  Mattew starts band today...he will be playing the saxophone...a friend sold us one at a really good price...and it is in good repair and good working condition...it was a "rent-to-own", and she took it in for a final "free repair" before making the last payment...so all of the pads are good to go, and the keys are all properly adjusted...I need to find out about the service contract that the music store offers...they charge a flat rate per year, and that covers all repairs and one cleaning for the year...and saxophones are the most expensive instrument to maintain...better to replace the pads one at a time than to have a complete overhaul at $350!!

John has 3 more weeks of culinary school before he starts his restaurant experience externship for 3 months...and he still hasn't lined up a restaurant...so he is scrambling at the last minute...he plans to come home for the externship...so he has been contacting local restaurants...a couple have said "no", one gave him a mini interview over the phone, and asked him to send his resume, and the rest gave him their email addresses, so he can send them his resume and overview of the externship details.  One place said to come and see them when he gets to town.  John is supposed to check today on whether he has to have a place lined up before the 3 weeks is up, or whether he has a "grace period"...because doing it long-distance is difficult...the restaurant managers/owners will probably want to interview him face-to-face, and at $100 per round trip for gas, he can't afford to make multiple trips...

John was "laid off" from his job...zero hours, and being "on call" for anybody who doesn't show up for their shift...the manager of the place is flakey...several of the employees are on "on call" status...it seems that if an employee makes mistakes, she "punishes" them by taking away their hours...and these are MINOR mistakes, like forgetting to put toast on some of the breakfast plates...partly because the kitchen staff is slow at getting the toast out...he is a server (or was)...we have been after him since January to find another job...but he didn't...my sister in law suggested that he go to the temp agency...maybe get some hours through them...anywhere...but I didn't hear whether he actually got there or called yesterday to follow up...he hasn't heard from them since he applied last week...and he needs money to pay for his gas and parking for the rest of the three weeks, plus money for gas to get home...and money for gas to get out to his restaurant interviews...and if the externship is non-paid, he will need to find a paying job locally, to pay for his gas back and forth...and we don't have spare money laying around to support him...he will live at home during the externship, so he won't have rent...

However, when he is done with school, and working, he will be paying rent to us, which will go into a savings account for him (in our name, so he doesn't have access to it), and when he has enough saved up, he can move into his own apartment, buy furniture, and live on his own...

But, the bombshell came a couple of weeks ago...as if we didn't already have enough stress...(with hubby's knee injury, and the passing of hubby's mom, and pressures of his job, and our volunteer ventures with Boy Scouts and band)...when I went online to pay our cell phone bill, I discovered that John had used up all of our minutes, all of our roll-over minutes, and had gone 1265 minutes OVER...at 45 cents per minute...that's over $550 in overage charges!!   I talked with AT&T, and they reduced it down to $120 in overage charges...very nice of them...and John will be paying every cent of it!!  But that's NOT the WORST of it!!  I grilled him about WHO he had been talking with, and WHAT they could possibly be spending 3 HOURS PER DAY talking about!!  He met somebody online and broke ALL of the internet safety rules by giving out his personal information AND phone number...which we had told him NOT to do...he was only to use his phone for business and school-related calls (calling us is free)...I did a reverse phone number look-up, and we called the home number...it was one kid that he has been talking to...but we told him that on the internet, you don't know who you're talking to...it could be a DOG for all you know!!  (BTW, I'm NOT a dog...I'm a real mom with real kids and real problems)...anyway, our son told us that he is gay, and that he has fallen "in love" with the kid he has been conversing with...he met him on myspace or one of those sites, and he has been spending a bunch of time on live-chat...and then moved to phone conversations...he and this kid were planning on getting an apartment together (the other kid is 18...confirmed by HIS MOM)...thank goodness that neither of them has any MONEY!! I think this kid had a huge influence on our son's "decision"... 

John asked me NOT to share his "news" with DAD...but of course, I did...that's why we've been married for 27 years...NO SECRETS between each other...and hubby appreciated the heads up...

Last night, hubby happened to be in the town where our son is...for his work...he had a heart-to-heart talk with John, and got the full story...and hubby had some hard questions for him...he gave John a graphic description of gay relationships...which made John grimace...a GOOD sign...and hubby told him that he thinks John is confused about those issues...and that he shouldn't worry about it right now...time will tell...right now, he needs put ALL of his focus on school and finding a restaurant for his externship...and we are offering to pay for counseling for him when he comes back into town (confidential, of course...he only needs to share with us what he feels like sharing)...not to sway him in any particular direction, but to give him the tools he needs to cope with life in general, and to help him find direction...actually, I think that ALL young adults need some kind of counseling...some un-biased third party to tell them what we parents have been saying all along...but we as parents can't possibly prepare them for EVERY one of life's circumstances...all we can do is try to give them the tools to figure it out for themselves...

And, I just don't think that John "fits" the "mold" of being gay...and he seems to be fabricating memories...yes, he did play mostly with the girls when he was in day care...the little boys did a lot of hitting, which he didn't like...but that isn't an indication of being gay...and the one girl friend that he had didn't have any "appeal" to him...but she was only ONE girl...and obviously not his match...and being too shy to ask other girls out doesn't mean that he is gay either...Deep down, I just don't see it...maybe I'm just in total denial...but right now, I'm not going to put any more worry into it...time will tell...

As a result of the minutes overage, we have put a block on John's phone for the numbers that he was calling to run up our phone bill...both the cell phone and home number of the kid...but we can't stop him from talking online with him right now...however, when he comes home we will NOT be providing a wireless router for his computer...he will have to use OUR computer to go online...SUPERVISED...and he will NOT be allowed to go to myspace, facebook, or any site like it...only school and work-related sites...and if he breaks the phone rules again, we will take away his phone, and he will have to pay for a pay as you go phone himself...

I definitely feel that the "distractions" are what have kept him from finding a new job, getting his externship lined up, and probably to getting laid-off too...or maybe he let the word out about his "orientation", and the boss didn't like it...we are NOT spreading the word among our family and friends...it's hard to "un-ring" a bell...best not to say anything until he gets straight in his own mind (no pun intended)...Not to discuss politics here, but I really hope that he doesn't let his confusion get in the way of making a good decision on who to vote for in November...we know who WE are voting for...and he has the right to make his own decisions...but he needs to look at ALL of the issues and details about the canditates...most of Washington State (the Eastern half, anyway) is of the conservative mindset...including us...and experience counts!!

Anyway...that's the skinny on our lives...but we did have a fun summer...Scout camp, family reunion, and putting in a pond and waterfall...but our existing fish pond was raided last week by raccoons, who ate all of our fish and destroyed all of our beautiful plants in the process...we are not in a hurry to replace the fish...why feed the raccoons??  Our neighbor down the street feeds the ferral cats...and the raccoons and skunks too!! (and that's why they hang around)...

For all of their "trouble", I painted a cat rock for my brother and his wife...we are so grateful that our son was able to live with them while in school...think of how much trouble he COULD have gotten into (I shudder to think about it!!)...I used some pictures of their cat to paint her portrait...she is a Snowshoe cat...a cross between a Siamese and an American Shorthair...here she is...I'm not sure why the picture showed up so huge...I reduced it on our computer to email size, and I also tried to edit it smaller on this website...anyway...I hope your life is a little less "eventful"...I like mundane better...Becky

About the storms, no, we haven't had to evacuate -- yet. We're far enough inland and on high enough ground that evacuation wouldn't be necessary, or even considered, unless it looked like a Katrina was about to bear down directly on either coast nearest here and make a beeline for us. In  that scenario, it would be the winds that would get us -- probably blowing a tree or 2 on the house -- rather than floodwaters.

So your summer had some negative stuff -- ours, too. Having to bury a close relative is no picnic. We were fortunate enough to be able to make it to the memorial service for Hubs' uncle while we were in California.

As far as John goes, dunno what to tell ya. He does sound very mixed-up, at present. On the one hand, he wants to do his externship @ home; on the other, he wants to "set up housekeeping" with this guy (where is he, again? Not in your hometown, I presume). Given that, it's probably best to keep the orientation issue relatively quiet for the time being. However, if he chooses to "come out" to folks in your community, there isn't going to be a lot you can do about that.  Leaving the orientation issue out of it, even, the behavior is still irresponsible and erratic for a 19-y/o. Hopefully, a counselor can help him sort stuff out.

Let's hope this is the year Scott grows up concerning the homework issue! So Matthew is taking up the sax? I could not convince Anne to take up an instrument, no way, no how. That's one way she's rebelling against what her dad wants for her. Unfortunately, he's the sort that he expects HIS word to be law, even on stuff that there's no way he (or anybody) can micromanage, eg, tastes in music. They've had some nasty "discussions" the last few months -- I suggested they see the counselor that Anne has used in the past, but he gave some BS excuse that the counselor wouldn't talk to him. As far as school goes, she's in Advanced courses in Reading and Language Arts (again), and regular courses in everything else. After attending last week's Open House, I came to the conclusion that all you had to to do pass with a "C" was to show up, make reasonable attempts to do the daily work and any homework, and score higher than 50% on any quizzes and tests!

She has been informed that she's better than that, and that she'd better do more than just show up! In short, no more "C"s. She's getting a little more latitude as to when the HW gets done, I'm not planning on nagging as much as last year, but that's the caveat -- she needs to *do* it and get the grades she's capable of making. If she's having trouble, she needs to ask a teacher or me for help ASAP, not the day before the test! We'll see how this works.

Jack LOVES pre-school!! =) It almost makes me wonder why I didn't do this sooner, x/c potty-training was an issue, and we didn't get that accomplished until December.

I have about an hour to get something done before I need to get Jack, so I need to go.

Pretty kitty, BTW.

Good luck.

Prof

September 12, 2008, 11:26 am CDT

Friday update...

About the storms, no, we haven't had to evacuate -- yet. We're far enough inland and on high enough ground that evacuation wouldn't be necessary, or even considered, unless it looked like a Katrina was about to bear down directly on either coast nearest here and make a beeline for us. In  that scenario, it would be the winds that would get us -- probably blowing a tree or 2 on the house -- rather than floodwaters.

So your summer had some negative stuff -- ours, too. Having to bury a close relative is no picnic. We were fortunate enough to be able to make it to the memorial service for Hubs' uncle while we were in California.

As far as John goes, dunno what to tell ya. He does sound very mixed-up, at present. On the one hand, he wants to do his externship @ home; on the other, he wants to "set up housekeeping" with this guy (where is he, again? Not in your hometown, I presume). Given that, it's probably best to keep the orientation issue relatively quiet for the time being. However, if he chooses to "come out" to folks in your community, there isn't going to be a lot you can do about that.  Leaving the orientation issue out of it, even, the behavior is still irresponsible and erratic for a 19-y/o. Hopefully, a counselor can help him sort stuff out.

Let's hope this is the year Scott grows up concerning the homework issue! So Matthew is taking up the sax? I could not convince Anne to take up an instrument, no way, no how. That's one way she's rebelling against what her dad wants for her. Unfortunately, he's the sort that he expects HIS word to be law, even on stuff that there's no way he (or anybody) can micromanage, eg, tastes in music. They've had some nasty "discussions" the last few months -- I suggested they see the counselor that Anne has used in the past, but he gave some BS excuse that the counselor wouldn't talk to him. As far as school goes, she's in Advanced courses in Reading and Language Arts (again), and regular courses in everything else. After attending last week's Open House, I came to the conclusion that all you had to to do pass with a "C" was to show up, make reasonable attempts to do the daily work and any homework, and score higher than 50% on any quizzes and tests!

She has been informed that she's better than that, and that she'd better do more than just show up! In short, no more "C"s. She's getting a little more latitude as to when the HW gets done, I'm not planning on nagging as much as last year, but that's the caveat -- she needs to *do* it and get the grades she's capable of making. If she's having trouble, she needs to ask a teacher or me for help ASAP, not the day before the test! We'll see how this works.

Jack LOVES pre-school!! =) It almost makes me wonder why I didn't do this sooner, x/c potty-training was an issue, and we didn't get that accomplished until December.

I have about an hour to get something done before I need to get Jack, so I need to go.

Pretty kitty, BTW.

Good luck.

Prof

Friday Howdy...

I saw my psych doc yesterday (bipolar disorder), and I asked her about John...she said that questioning one's sexuality and orientation is a normal part of male development...not all go through it, but if it is going to be an issue, it usually happens around age 14 or 15...but age 19 is not abnormal for our son, since ADHD causes a delay in emotional maturity...John is especially vunerable because he has no friends at school...pretty lonely for company his own age...and the kid on the internet was "there and available" to sway him in that direction...plus, when he was growing up, he preferred the company of the girls because the boys were rough and hit a lot...and as he grew, the boys did most of the making-fun of him...probably because of the ADHD and lack of maturity...certainly NOT an indicator of being gay...when hubby went down to talk with him, he didn't get the sense of "gay"...and he told John not to be so concerned right now...focus on school and his externship...the rest will iron out in time...

The psych doc (psychiatric ARNP) agreed to see him for a couple of visits (more if necessary) to talk it over with him and let him know that his confusion (and that's what it is) is perfectly normal...and also, she can facilitate getting him in to a general doc for a complete medical check-up with complete labs, including thyroid screening and hormone levels...which can contribute to the questioning...he has been seeing the pediatrician all of his life, but he is now to old...so he needs to change docs...a scary thing, I think...at age 19, he's not very vocal when it comes to himself...and MOM and DAD have no "rights" when it comes to his medical care, because he is an "adult"...sucks if you ask me...I don't think he is "old enough" to take that on himself...and that's where the psych doc can help out...helping him know what to ask for...or ordering the tests herself ahead of time, and forwarding the results to his new general doc...

Matthew is doing very well in school...he brings home his homework, and I touched bases with his teacher yesterday.  She said that he is thriving...and when he says that he has no homework, I can believe him because he has a history of honesty in that department (and in general)...Yes...Matthew is really excited about taking up the saxophone...right now he is the ONLY saxophone player, and they have a lot of beginning clarinet students...some of whom will probably switch to saxophone next year...there are 70 5th graders signed up for band...out of 100 5th graders...the numbers will pare down by the time they reach high school...only the really dedicated stick with it...many take up sports and lack the time to practice...so the high school band is still small...only 45 kids for grades 8-12 (8th graders get to be in marching band, at the band director's discressoin)...small school...there were several 9th graders who have dropped out of band this week...causing the band director to have to re-write their marching program for half-time...and the remaining kids to have to re-learn it...the kids who dropped out lack the dedication that it takes to be in band...suprisingly to them, it takes just as much dedication to be in band as it does to be in sports...and some of the kids do both, making it difficult for them to make it to both practices...the band director works hard to make sure that band practice and football practice happen at different times...and somehow, the kids don't think that they have to come to evening band practice...if they did that on a sports team, they'd be kicked off...but the band director doesn't kick anybody out...the band is already small enough...in my opinion, he SHOULD be kicking out the non-dedicated kids and tailoring the program around those who really want to do the work!!  (regardless of school size and band size)...jazz band has had a less than ideal turn-out this year...Scott is so far the only trumpet player...so I guess he'll have to play loud!!  There are six trumpets in the marching band (if they all stick with it, that is)...Scott is the section leader for the trumpet section in marching band...

Plus, in Boy Scouts, Scott was elected Patrol Leader for the year...that will be a good way to teach him about leadership and how to be a good leader...how to communicate...which he needs to work on...

And speaking of Scott...his 504 meeting is Monday...I will be meeting with the school counselor, and all of his teachers, and maybe the school principal, plus Scott will be there...the main thing that I want this year is communication with the teachers...going both ways...with an average of 100 kids per day for each teacher, they don't do a very good job of tracking the kids until the assignments hit the grade posting web site...and even then, they don't really pay attention until the grade reaches "critical mass"...and then there is a big hole for Scott to dig himself out of...or not...

Scott has been bringing home Math homework mostly every day...I emailed the teachers yesterday after checking the grade website...one of his teachers is new to the school district, and she is still learning her way around the school's computer programs...so nothing is posted yet for her class...but in English, Scott has already failed to turn in several homework assignments (having claimed "no homework" for that class)...so the manure will hit the ventilator today...the English teacher said that there is a major essay due on Tuesday, and a poem due Wednesday for peer editing, and Friday for the final draft.  Good to have the heads-up...bad that there are so many missed assignments that weren't already brought to my attention...and the English teacher's policy is "no late work"...if not turned in on the due date, it is an automatic F...hopefully, this early in the game, Scott can redeem his grade in that class...not all of the missing work has been posted yet, so his grade will surely go down when they all hit the system...

A new thing this year...the high school students can check their own grades on the school's website...good and bad for Scott...if he sees a good grade in a class, he takes it as a license to slack off...he still seems to fail to make the connection between cause and effect when it comes to homework and his overall grades...I think that part of the problem stems from the fact that there is no immediate feedback when he fails to turn in an assignment...there is a week or more delay before the grades hit the website...And the planner is still an issue...for some reason, Scott just doesn't fill it out...and lists are so important in my world...I'd be lost without my "to-do" lists...which is basically what a day-planner is...IF he does fill it out, he writes vague information, severely lacking in specifics and due dates...I need to revise the homework contract for this year...I will do that after the 504 meeting, and getting feedback from his teachers...he LOVES his stained glass class (of course...who doesn't like art class?...hands-on...right in his element...no writing involved)...Scott tends to be more of a hands-on learner, and the schools don't teach that way...they expect all learning styles to conform to their own teaching styles...and there is often a glaring mis-match...our school district is small, with one teacher per subject...so there is no choice in who they have for their teachers in junior high and high school.

And the homework issues magnify when they go from having one teacher to having six teachers, when they get into 7th grade...with no "transition" time to adjust...with no prior experience, they are expected to use they day-planner system, and suddenly, they go from the teacher asking for their assignments on a daily basis to being expected to put them in the "in box"...and complete unawareness on the teachers' parts on whether each kid has turned anything in...again...until there is a D or F glaring at them...and maybe not even then...so glad that I can keep track on the website...I think that the elementary and intermediate schools need to do a better job of preparing the kids for the transition...if they are expected to use a planner starting in junior high (which is an excellent idea), then they should be using a planner by 4th grade, where they can be supervised on their entries, and trained young to be in the habit...

Well...I have to tackle "laundry mountain"...our own laundry, anyway...I'm on strike from doing the kids' laundry until they pick it up off of their bedroom floor (Scott is the main culprit here), and until they get it sorted...their pile is getting huge...nearly every stich of clothing that they own...definitely, this weekend, it WILL be done...Scott and Matthew both know how to operate the washer and dryer...(except adding bleach), so they will be doing it themselves...and folding and putting away...In the past, I've done the picking up and sorting it, plus the folding and putting away, but they are certainly old enough to take some responsibility for it...of course, I'll supervise, but MOM is not the maid...I've repeatedly asked them to sort...I don't always follow-up on making sure tasks are completed because I have my own tasks to complete...I expect them do to what I tell them to do, when I tell them to do it...but recently, they haven't been...especially Scott...I'll give him a job (like the dishes), and then later, add another job, and he says that I'm giving him too much to do all at once...mind you, an hour has passed sinced telling him to do the dishes...plenty of time to have completed them...so I need to do more "cracking of the whip" (figuratively...for now...LOL)...and make sure that they are doing what they are told WHEN they are told to do it...give them an inch, and they'll take a mile...

Anyway...on to laundry mountain...yodel-ladee-ho...(waits for echo)...Becky

September 15, 2008, 11:35 am CDT

504 plan meeting today

I have a 504 meeting set up for later today with Scott's teachers and the school counselor.  Over the weekend, he spent a lot of time NOT doing his English paper...a simple 3-paragraph paper...but he spent a lot of time playing around and staring at his blank paper...I don't know what to do with him.  I think we will be setting time limits on his homework.  When time is up, he starts his chores...which he got out of over the weekend because of "doing his homework"...I'm on strike with the kids' laundry until they get it sorted themselves...there is quite a big mountain...practically all of the clothes that they own...and they're not allowed to wear dirty ones, so they had better get busy sorting...Matthew thinks that it is "Scott's job" to sort laundry...I say that it is the job of both of them...so somebody had better get busy...

And John has yet to have a restaurant set up for his externship...he has a couple who have said "maybe", but nothing for sure yet...he is to contact two of them tomorrow.  It may be that he will have to wait until he gets back into town, so he can make personal visits to the ones at the top of his list.

So, that's the update for now...Becky

September 17, 2008, 9:50 am CDT

Wednesday howdy

Hi Prof...how are things is Florida?  Ike missed you according to the news...hit Texas instead...are there more storms out there?  There have been years in the past where they have gotten all through the alphabet and had to start over...

How is Anne doing?  Has she decided to do more than just "show up" for class?  It seems to be a common thread among kids...only doing what is absolutely neccessary to get by...

How old is Jack?  Our boys didn't potty train until after they were 3 years old...we tried so hard with the oldest, but we were a little more laid back with the younger two...I figured they'd learn it much faster when they decided it was time...and once they decided that wet pants weren't for them, they trained pretty fast...with the oldest one, the daycare he was at didn't want to leave him in his wet pants because he "didn't like it"...well, that was the point...

Scott's 504 meeting went well...he really doesn't have anything on his 504 plan that the teachers wouldn't do anyway...but if there is a glaring problem, the plan can be revised.  He has been lying about his English assignments...and we are really pushing him to do his planner...if it is there in front of him, with due dates, it is harder for him to ignore it...harder to say "I didn't know"...he spent all weekend NOT doing his homework...and yesterday, I didn't get home until 4 PM...he had been home since 2:30...and he hadn't even started on his homework, instead watching cartoons...grrrr...and then he spent more time NOT doing his work...but this morning, before school, he spent 20 minutes and wrote the poem he was supposed to have been working on for the last 2 days...it seems that he needs a time crunch to put his behind in gear...

John III comes home from school at the beginning of next month...as of yet, he still doesn't have an externship set up...he's down to the wire...there are two restaurants who have said "maybe", and another that wants him to stop in after he is in town...hopefully, one of those will pan out...and then there is the matter of getting a paying job if the externship is unpaid...he needs money for gas and car maintenance...plus, he will be paying rent (which will go into a savings account for him to use for deposit and rent on an apartment...but we're in no hurry to have him out the door...he has a lot of growing up to do).

Well...on to my day...hope to hear from you soon...Becky

September 18, 2008, 10:07 am CDT

School Issues

Hi Prof...how are things is Florida?  Ike missed you according to the news...hit Texas instead...are there more storms out there?  There have been years in the past where they have gotten all through the alphabet and had to start over...

How is Anne doing?  Has she decided to do more than just "show up" for class?  It seems to be a common thread among kids...only doing what is absolutely neccessary to get by...

How old is Jack?  Our boys didn't potty train until after they were 3 years old...we tried so hard with the oldest, but we were a little more laid back with the younger two...I figured they'd learn it much faster when they decided it was time...and once they decided that wet pants weren't for them, they trained pretty fast...with the oldest one, the daycare he was at didn't want to leave him in his wet pants because he "didn't like it"...well, that was the point...

Scott's 504 meeting went well...he really doesn't have anything on his 504 plan that the teachers wouldn't do anyway...but if there is a glaring problem, the plan can be revised.  He has been lying about his English assignments...and we are really pushing him to do his planner...if it is there in front of him, with due dates, it is harder for him to ignore it...harder to say "I didn't know"...he spent all weekend NOT doing his homework...and yesterday, I didn't get home until 4 PM...he had been home since 2:30...and he hadn't even started on his homework, instead watching cartoons...grrrr...and then he spent more time NOT doing his work...but this morning, before school, he spent 20 minutes and wrote the poem he was supposed to have been working on for the last 2 days...it seems that he needs a time crunch to put his behind in gear...

John III comes home from school at the beginning of next month...as of yet, he still doesn't have an externship set up...he's down to the wire...there are two restaurants who have said "maybe", and another that wants him to stop in after he is in town...hopefully, one of those will pan out...and then there is the matter of getting a paying job if the externship is unpaid...he needs money for gas and car maintenance...plus, he will be paying rent (which will go into a savings account for him to use for deposit and rent on an apartment...but we're in no hurry to have him out the door...he has a lot of growing up to do).

Well...on to my day...hope to hear from you soon...Becky

Hi, Becky!

Yup, we just got the barest of brushings from Ike. As far as I know, there's nothing more out there that need concern us -- yet. Truth is, though, most years we may make it to K or L and that's about it. Oh-five was realy the outlier, what with having to resort to the Greek alphabet after Wilma!

We are about to see how serious Miss Anne is about doing more than "showing up" for class. I'm disappointed with her performance in math so far, although there have been no *major* tests yet, just 2 quizzes. The proof of the pudding will be today's science test and tomorrow's geography test -- it concerns me that she doesn't get the concept of READING the chapter as a way of learning the material. She has gotten used to her teachers "spoon-feeding" every bit of info they ned for the test, even to (in math class) the teacher giving them a "practice test" that is simply a different version of the one they will get the next day.

Unfortunately for me, though, she has discovered BOYS in a BIG way this fall. I have already gotten on her about clothes that are borderline dress-code violations; however, I don't have a whole lot of leverage when the school's enforcement of its' own policies seems to be something of a farce. 

Jack is now 3 1/2. I started the potty training (daytime) in earnest just less than a year ago. We went through WEEKS of wet pants and nasty carpets. Anne was in daycare too when she was that age, and there was no choice --- you HAD to provide the pull-ups. It made consistency almost impossible. Nighttime training is on the horizon, once the adults are over this cold that has left me with the voice of Suzanne Pleshette.

The cold, that has hit all 4 of us, is merely the latest in the series of "crises du jour" over the last few weeks. Before the colds, it was the $1500 repair bill on the 8-y/o van (that I'm NOT ready to trade in yet; we were discussing unloading Hubs' 10-y/o sedan), the dead computer and procuring its replacement, the head lice from camp...you get the idea.

Good luck with the 504 for Scott. Did he & Matthew ever negotiate Mount Dirty Sweat Socks?

*Still* no externship for John?!? Hopefully, he finds a paying one, and FAST!

Better get a grocery list drawn up -- what was *not* afected by the colds were peoples' appetites!

Later!

Prof

September 19, 2008, 1:33 pm CDT

school

Hi, Becky!

Yup, we just got the barest of brushings from Ike. As far as I know, there's nothing more out there that need concern us -- yet. Truth is, though, most years we may make it to K or L and that's about it. Oh-five was realy the outlier, what with having to resort to the Greek alphabet after Wilma!

We are about to see how serious Miss Anne is about doing more than "showing up" for class. I'm disappointed with her performance in math so far, although there have been no *major* tests yet, just 2 quizzes. The proof of the pudding will be today's science test and tomorrow's geography test -- it concerns me that she doesn't get the concept of READING the chapter as a way of learning the material. She has gotten used to her teachers "spoon-feeding" every bit of info they ned for the test, even to (in math class) the teacher giving them a "practice test" that is simply a different version of the one they will get the next day.

Unfortunately for me, though, she has discovered BOYS in a BIG way this fall. I have already gotten on her about clothes that are borderline dress-code violations; however, I don't have a whole lot of leverage when the school's enforcement of its' own policies seems to be something of a farce. 

Jack is now 3 1/2. I started the potty training (daytime) in earnest just less than a year ago. We went through WEEKS of wet pants and nasty carpets. Anne was in daycare too when she was that age, and there was no choice --- you HAD to provide the pull-ups. It made consistency almost impossible. Nighttime training is on the horizon, once the adults are over this cold that has left me with the voice of Suzanne Pleshette.

The cold, that has hit all 4 of us, is merely the latest in the series of "crises du jour" over the last few weeks. Before the colds, it was the $1500 repair bill on the 8-y/o van (that I'm NOT ready to trade in yet; we were discussing unloading Hubs' 10-y/o sedan), the dead computer and procuring its replacement, the head lice from camp...you get the idea.

Good luck with the 504 for Scott. Did he & Matthew ever negotiate Mount Dirty Sweat Socks?

*Still* no externship for John?!? Hopefully, he finds a paying one, and FAST!

Better get a grocery list drawn up -- what was *not* afected by the colds were peoples' appetites!

Later!

Prof

And STILL no externship for John yet...one restaurant said that they "couldn't afford" to take on another person at this time...but it is OPTIONAL for the restaurant to pay him while he is there...he would really like to find a paid externship, but at this late date, he had better take what he can get!!  A couple of the restaurants told him to come by in person when he gets to town...that's hopeful...but he SHOULD have a few waiting in the wings...if he lands an unpaid externship, he can get a paying job in addition to that.  He needs to pay for his own gas to get back and forth...no busses out our way...too far from town...

Scott has been claiming "no English homework" again...except for the paper that was due Tuesday, and the poem due today...I'll find out soon enough if he has been telling the truth.  The teacher says that he is doing a great job on the in-class work...In 10th grade, they combine English and American History in one class...their essays are centered around the history lessons, with some creative writing added in.  The teacher does a great job with being creative with their assignments, to keep it interesting for them...no spoon-feeding the information...the spoon-fed method gets real old real fast for the kids...and boring. 

Mount Dirty Sweat Socks is still there...Scott pulled out some socks and underwear for a white load last night...and then, he forgot to put it in the dryer...so he still had nothing this morning...they did get dry in time for Matthew though...after I made Scott put the clothes in the dryer when he got up...I told him before bed to make sure that the load got into the dryer...didn't happen...too bad for him...but I don't want to be in the room when he takes his shoes off!!  They WILL be sorting laundry this afternoon...no playing, no computer, no TV until it's done, and a load is in the washer!!  And the playing, TV and computer will stop for folding and putting away as each load is finished...

UGGG!! Head lice...we have been fortunate so far in that department...I don't suppose they do lice checks at camp!!...at the elementary school, where the lice seem to be more common, they do lice checks, and they will send a child home if lice are discovered...and they must pass a lice check before being allowed to come back...I feel sorry for the girls with really long hair...the parents need to comb out the nits, as well as using the prescription shampoo...and I heard recently on the news that lice are becoming resistant to those shampoo treatments...scarey!!  I haven't heard about any lice checks on the older kids...

Scott has come down with a fall cold...and we hope it stops with him...time to get out the hand sanitizer, and use the sani-cycle on the dishwasher...hubby gets really sick when he gets a cold...usually ends up with pneumonia...he is diabetic, so he doesn't need any viruses...he takes lysine, and when he is exposed to a cold, he takes echinacia for a couple of weeks...it seems to prevent, or at least reduce the severity of a cold...

I'm so glad that our potty training days are done...our boys learned pretty quickly, once they decided that it was time (around 3 1/2)...and the nighttime training just happened naturally, after they were day trained...it was helpful to cut off any drinks an hour before bed...Grandma thought is was deplorable that we waited so long to train them...but it was really none of her business...kids will learn things in their own time...and to force the issue just makes them more resistant and defiant at that age.  Salty foods, prunes, and lots of drinks during the day were helpful in the beginning...more opportunities to take them to the toilet...and yup...been there with the messy carpets...we kept the Bissell handy...

Been there with the expensive car repairs too...we had $1500 in repairs on our 1993 sedan back in 2006...that is John's car now...we gave it to him in good repair...but he had to have a $700 brake job back in January...probably because my brother's house, where is is living, is on a steep hill...have to gear it down to preserve the brakes...we GAVE him the car, free and clear, so he is responsible for any reapirs to it...we are still paying the insurance, as long as he is in school...then, he will have to get his own policy...and probabaly pay a lot for it...being male and under 25...I don't know if good grades count anymore after they are out of school...probably not...but there is a non-smoker and good-driving discount...he will also have to get his own cell phone plan when he is out of school...and his student loans...time to take responsibility for his own expenses...we will let him live at home, as long as he pays rent (after he graduates)...and, as I've mentioned before, the rent will go into a savings account for him to save up to move out on his own (and we'll probably calculate the rent to be equal to rent plus utilities and incidental expenses, so he'll be used to that level of expenses in his budget...no wild shopping sprees)...but with ADHD, his maturity level is a few years behind, so we're not really in a hurry to have him on his own...we'll see how responsible he is when he comes back home...and when he graduates, he will no longer be eligible to stay on our medical insurance...unless he decides to go for that business degree at the local community college (the smart thing to do...but...)

I hope Anne did well on her tests...that will show whether she has been studying and paying attention in class...and math...I don't know how the teachers could make it more interesting for the kids...just this year, Scott has finally been showing his work...required by the teacher...I've been after him to use scratch paper for years to write down the steps...but he has always done it in his head...and successfully...but by doing it in his head, I think he wasn't really clear on the individual steps involved...until the teacher this year made him show his work...the teachers all say he is gifted in math...but his past grades never showed it...I think that the repetiveness of the homework was extremely boring for him (not that it should be an excuse)...One thing that previous teachers have done with the math is to have worksheets, where the answers represented letters of the alphabet, and by doing the problem and getting the correct answer, they would fill the letters in the blanks to come up with the answer to a word puzzle...that made it a little more bearable for Scott...this year, he seems to be more responsible in the math department...bringing home work most days...but the English class...I'll be checking the grade website later today...

Well...around here, all of the guys have healthy appetites...the budget is tight this month...due to the high cell phone from John, plus hubby broke his glasses...the glasses store was kind enough just to order a replacement part, instead of having to replace the whole frame...and these were supposed to be non-breakable frames, made from "memory metal"...must have been when he took his fall last month... home landscaping injury, where he landed face-first into a tree (don't remember if I mentioned that one...his knee took the worst of it...severe bone bruising...but not broken...fortunately)...plus, we have to pay the co-pay for hubby's new insulin pump (the old one gave out...just past the 5-year warranty, of course)...and our usual high prescription bills...it never ends...just when we think we're getting ahead, something else comes up!!

Next month, the boys will be working hard selling Boy Scout popcorn...a great fund-raiser for summer camp and other activities, plus some of their hiking and camping equipment...I hope that all of the boys in the troop work hard...hubby is the Scoutmaster, and I am the Webelos leader for the Cub Scout pack...plus I am Committee Chair for the troop...Scott is in the Boy Scout troop, and Matthew is in Webelos, and he will graduate to the troop in June, 2009...he is working on his Arrow of Light...the highest award a Cub Scout can get...

Well...gotta get to the shopping list...have to make up a menu first...probably will involve a lot of hot dogs this shopping day...and multiple-day meals like stew and spaghetti...have to go easy on the food budget due to the other expenses...and the cost of gasoline!!

Becky

September 22, 2008, 10:11 am CDT

School Issues

And STILL no externship for John yet...one restaurant said that they "couldn't afford" to take on another person at this time...but it is OPTIONAL for the restaurant to pay him while he is there...he would really like to find a paid externship, but at this late date, he had better take what he can get!!  A couple of the restaurants told him to come by in person when he gets to town...that's hopeful...but he SHOULD have a few waiting in the wings...if he lands an unpaid externship, he can get a paying job in addition to that.  He needs to pay for his own gas to get back and forth...no busses out our way...too far from town...

Scott has been claiming "no English homework" again...except for the paper that was due Tuesday, and the poem due today...I'll find out soon enough if he has been telling the truth.  The teacher says that he is doing a great job on the in-class work...In 10th grade, they combine English and American History in one class...their essays are centered around the history lessons, with some creative writing added in.  The teacher does a great job with being creative with their assignments, to keep it interesting for them...no spoon-feeding the information...the spoon-fed method gets real old real fast for the kids...and boring. 

Mount Dirty Sweat Socks is still there...Scott pulled out some socks and underwear for a white load last night...and then, he forgot to put it in the dryer...so he still had nothing this morning...they did get dry in time for Matthew though...after I made Scott put the clothes in the dryer when he got up...I told him before bed to make sure that the load got into the dryer...didn't happen...too bad for him...but I don't want to be in the room when he takes his shoes off!!  They WILL be sorting laundry this afternoon...no playing, no computer, no TV until it's done, and a load is in the washer!!  And the playing, TV and computer will stop for folding and putting away as each load is finished...

UGGG!! Head lice...we have been fortunate so far in that department...I don't suppose they do lice checks at camp!!...at the elementary school, where the lice seem to be more common, they do lice checks, and they will send a child home if lice are discovered...and they must pass a lice check before being allowed to come back...I feel sorry for the girls with really long hair...the parents need to comb out the nits, as well as using the prescription shampoo...and I heard recently on the news that lice are becoming resistant to those shampoo treatments...scarey!!  I haven't heard about any lice checks on the older kids...

Scott has come down with a fall cold...and we hope it stops with him...time to get out the hand sanitizer, and use the sani-cycle on the dishwasher...hubby gets really sick when he gets a cold...usually ends up with pneumonia...he is diabetic, so he doesn't need any viruses...he takes lysine, and when he is exposed to a cold, he takes echinacia for a couple of weeks...it seems to prevent, or at least reduce the severity of a cold...

I'm so glad that our potty training days are done...our boys learned pretty quickly, once they decided that it was time (around 3 1/2)...and the nighttime training just happened naturally, after they were day trained...it was helpful to cut off any drinks an hour before bed...Grandma thought is was deplorable that we waited so long to train them...but it was really none of her business...kids will learn things in their own time...and to force the issue just makes them more resistant and defiant at that age.  Salty foods, prunes, and lots of drinks during the day were helpful in the beginning...more opportunities to take them to the toilet...and yup...been there with the messy carpets...we kept the Bissell handy...

Been there with the expensive car repairs too...we had $1500 in repairs on our 1993 sedan back in 2006...that is John's car now...we gave it to him in good repair...but he had to have a $700 brake job back in January...probably because my brother's house, where is is living, is on a steep hill...have to gear it down to preserve the brakes...we GAVE him the car, free and clear, so he is responsible for any reapirs to it...we are still paying the insurance, as long as he is in school...then, he will have to get his own policy...and probabaly pay a lot for it...being male and under 25...I don't know if good grades count anymore after they are out of school...probably not...but there is a non-smoker and good-driving discount...he will also have to get his own cell phone plan when he is out of school...and his student loans...time to take responsibility for his own expenses...we will let him live at home, as long as he pays rent (after he graduates)...and, as I've mentioned before, the rent will go into a savings account for him to save up to move out on his own (and we'll probably calculate the rent to be equal to rent plus utilities and incidental expenses, so he'll be used to that level of expenses in his budget...no wild shopping sprees)...but with ADHD, his maturity level is a few years behind, so we're not really in a hurry to have him on his own...we'll see how responsible he is when he comes back home...and when he graduates, he will no longer be eligible to stay on our medical insurance...unless he decides to go for that business degree at the local community college (the smart thing to do...but...)

I hope Anne did well on her tests...that will show whether she has been studying and paying attention in class...and math...I don't know how the teachers could make it more interesting for the kids...just this year, Scott has finally been showing his work...required by the teacher...I've been after him to use scratch paper for years to write down the steps...but he has always done it in his head...and successfully...but by doing it in his head, I think he wasn't really clear on the individual steps involved...until the teacher this year made him show his work...the teachers all say he is gifted in math...but his past grades never showed it...I think that the repetiveness of the homework was extremely boring for him (not that it should be an excuse)...One thing that previous teachers have done with the math is to have worksheets, where the answers represented letters of the alphabet, and by doing the problem and getting the correct answer, they would fill the letters in the blanks to come up with the answer to a word puzzle...that made it a little more bearable for Scott...this year, he seems to be more responsible in the math department...bringing home work most days...but the English class...I'll be checking the grade website later today...

Well...around here, all of the guys have healthy appetites...the budget is tight this month...due to the high cell phone from John, plus hubby broke his glasses...the glasses store was kind enough just to order a replacement part, instead of having to replace the whole frame...and these were supposed to be non-breakable frames, made from "memory metal"...must have been when he took his fall last month... home landscaping injury, where he landed face-first into a tree (don't remember if I mentioned that one...his knee took the worst of it...severe bone bruising...but not broken...fortunately)...plus, we have to pay the co-pay for hubby's new insulin pump (the old one gave out...just past the 5-year warranty, of course)...and our usual high prescription bills...it never ends...just when we think we're getting ahead, something else comes up!!

Next month, the boys will be working hard selling Boy Scout popcorn...a great fund-raiser for summer camp and other activities, plus some of their hiking and camping equipment...I hope that all of the boys in the troop work hard...hubby is the Scoutmaster, and I am the Webelos leader for the Cub Scout pack...plus I am Committee Chair for the troop...Scott is in the Boy Scout troop, and Matthew is in Webelos, and he will graduate to the troop in June, 2009...he is working on his Arrow of Light...the highest award a Cub Scout can get...

Well...gotta get to the shopping list...have to make up a menu first...probably will involve a lot of hot dogs this shopping day...and multiple-day meals like stew and spaghetti...have to go easy on the food budget due to the other expenses...and the cost of gasoline!!

Becky

Never rains but it pours, huh? Sigh.

Fortunately (I guess), I caught the lice *before* school started & could start the treatment. Camp is the best guess as to where she got them. Luckily, her dirty laundry never made it upstairs -- it took the direct path to the downstairs laundry room. It still took two treatments and some careful combing to rid her of the infestation completely.

My glasses are way overdue for a new prescription, as I got confirmed this AM. These frames have about had it -- they haven't sat on my face right in some time -- so I'm looking at some $ this go-round. That "memory metal" is something of a joke.

No, you hadn't mentioned the knee. So far, Hubs has escaped the worst of those sorts of injuries; the most recent was a set of wasp (??) stings collected last week while he was trimming some dead palmetto branches.

I need to stick an additional hamper in the kids' bath so they can do their own front-end sorting. Miss Anne is old enough to do that much. Right now, I think I've just succeeded in the struggle to get her to deposit the dirties in the hamper in a timely manner, rather than leaving the pile to grow on her bedroom floor.

Interims come out tomorrow -- stay tuned.

Prof

First | Prev | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | Next | Last