Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 6, 2008, 9:58 am CDT

School Issues

Quote From: mustbecrazy

Our high school has about 300 kids, and their size makes them an A school in the realm of sports and band competitions...

gotta run...Becky

I'm addressing both your most recent posts here.

Great to heat that the popcorn sale is going that well, given what I'm seeing in this neck of the woods about the economy.

I remember both the song *and* the hostess Elvira! LOL I'm not sure whether she still does that schtick, now that the actress is, I think, well into her 50s. Good to hear you all arrived at something!

Let's hope for the best about that externship, seems as though full shifts on Fri-Sat-Sun would just about cover it --

Three hundred is *tiny* in these parts.  No wonder students do "double duty!" At 1,200 students, my alma mater in South FL competed, and still competes, in 3A -- and we were looked down upon as a "little Catholic school!" For the most part in this county, the public schools  run in the 1,500 to 2,000 student range (Class 3A and 4A). The parochial schools & sectarian academies in town, and the public schools in the rural surrounding counties are much smaller & compete in 1A - 2A.

Jack wants the rest of his lunch; I need to scoot.

Prof

October 9, 2008, 2:22 pm CDT

FYI re BETA site

The "School Issues" board in the new format is included under only *one* category, "Pre-school/School Age," rather than under both that *and* the "Pre-Teen/Teen" category. =( According to the BETA FAQ page, the double-category link was not an option.

So if you go looking for this board on the BETA site, remember to look under "Pre-school/School Age". You will no longer find it under "Pre-Teens/Teens."

Prof

October 9, 2008, 5:42 pm CDT

UPDATE

Quote From: profmaryann

The "School Issues" board in the new format is included under only *one* category, "Pre-school/School Age," rather than under both that *and* the "Pre-Teen/Teen" category. =( According to the BETA FAQ page, the double-category link was not an option.

So if you go looking for this board on the BETA site, remember to look under "Pre-school/School Age". You will no longer find it under "Pre-Teens/Teens."

Prof

As of early evening Eastern, the good folks have set up a separate "School Issues" board under the "Pre-Teens/Teens" category.

This will be *separate* from the one under the "Pre-School/School-Age" category.

Thanks, Mods! =)

Prof

October 14, 2008, 7:49 am CDT

not familiar with the beta site

As of early evening Eastern, the good folks have set up a separate "School Issues" board under the "Pre-Teens/Teens" category.

This will be *separate* from the one under the "Pre-School/School-Age" category.

Thanks, Mods! =)

Prof

I haven't visited the beta site...how do you get there?  What is it?  (I haven't paid any attention to the blazing banners on the screen.)

For Scott, I visited his school yesterday afternoon to do a planner check...I talked with his teacher for English...when he misses a homework assignment, he ends up in lunch detention to do the work, and then he gets half credit...a shame because he does A work...and it gets an F....his grade isn't too bad, but he is capable of much better...plus, the English teacher would like to eat lunch with the adults.  His teacher for Developmental Psychology said that she doesn't assign homework...he does it all in class...and his grade is a C...he apparently is inconsistent on how much work he actually does...he turns in incomplete work...I told him that maybe he should check his papers for completeness before turning them in...

The chef kid is doing well at his job...he needs 25 hours per week for his externship requirements...he needs to talk with his boss to make sure that he gets them.  In the past couple of weeks, it has been more like 12-18 hours per week...he really needs to work on communication...as with any young adult, assertiveness isn't his strong suit...it will come though...he just needs to make sure that he is clear on what is expected of him...the boss gave him some homework for Saturday...he was to come up with three recipes for fixing fresh tuna...what he came up with sounds delicious...he was to give them to the boss when he got to work Saturday afternoon, but the boss "never asked for them", so he didn't mention them...I told him that when he sees the boss today, he needs to make sure to mention them...so the boss doesn't think that he isn't doing his homework...he was called in yesterday, and he will be going back today for training...and more communication...he hasn't received an employee number for logging into the computer when he arrives and leaves...he has been writing his hours on paper, and keeping the paper...so he may not get a paycheck this time...the hours might have to be on the following paycheck...I told him that he needs to go in early today and ask about that......they won't bite him or anything...

Matthew forgot his saxophone yesterday...they didn't need instruments all week last week because of half days for conference week...so he kind of got out of the habit of taking it...and his practice slip was in there, so he couldn't turn it in...he says the teacher won't accept it today, but being the first week of needing them, I think he might...Matthew just needs to ask.  Matthew's conference went really well...he was completely organized (student-led conference)...the teacher said that he is doing very well...I requested that she make sure that he is being challenged...the band kids don't get the extra Math workshop...so I asked the teacher if he could get weekly packets of the advanced class, so he can keep up on the latest methods...he gets really bored with the regular classroom math...I want him to stay challenged, so when he gets into junior high and high school, he will already know how to use his brain...Matthew just finished the 5th Harry Potter book...he is currently reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh...a really good book...he said that he wanted a quick easy book before going on to the 6th HP book...

Well...I have to be a good example for chef son, and not spend too much time on the message boards...he has been spending WAY too much time online...to the exclusion of doing his chores, getting his room ready to move back into...he has been living in our living room...which isn't my idea of "ideal"...he left his room a huge mess when he left for school...I hauled out three big bags of trash, and then I gave up...figured he could do it when he came home...plus, we have been storing a few things in there...so he was supposed to be helping me get the messy play room in order, so I can put the stored items in there...but he has to clean up his mess in his room before he will be allowed to move in there...otherwise, it will NEVER get cleaned...he tends to be a slob...his clothing is all over our dining room table...fine for now because the dining room table is hopelessly buried in stuff...that's a project for another day...anyway, I confiscated his computer last night, so he could get a good nights sleep, instead of being kept up by his chat room buddies...he was none too happy about it...he'll get it back for awhile today...maybe...I'll let him use our computer to print out his time sheet for school, so he can get the boss to sign it and get it sent off to the school...

Anyway...gotta scoot...Becky

October 14, 2008, 3:27 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I haven't visited the beta site...how do you get there?  What is it?  (I haven't paid any attention to the blazing banners on the screen.)

For Scott, I visited his school yesterday afternoon to do a planner check...I talked with his teacher for English...when he misses a homework assignment, he ends up in lunch detention to do the work, and then he gets half credit...a shame because he does A work...and it gets an F....his grade isn't too bad, but he is capable of much better...plus, the English teacher would like to eat lunch with the adults.  His teacher for Developmental Psychology said that she doesn't assign homework...he does it all in class...and his grade is a C...he apparently is inconsistent on how much work he actually does...he turns in incomplete work...I told him that maybe he should check his papers for completeness before turning them in...

The chef kid is doing well at his job...he needs 25 hours per week for his externship requirements...he needs to talk with his boss to make sure that he gets them.  In the past couple of weeks, it has been more like 12-18 hours per week...he really needs to work on communication...as with any young adult, assertiveness isn't his strong suit...it will come though...he just needs to make sure that he is clear on what is expected of him...the boss gave him some homework for Saturday...he was to come up with three recipes for fixing fresh tuna...what he came up with sounds delicious...he was to give them to the boss when he got to work Saturday afternoon, but the boss "never asked for them", so he didn't mention them...I told him that when he sees the boss today, he needs to make sure to mention them...so the boss doesn't think that he isn't doing his homework...he was called in yesterday, and he will be going back today for training...and more communication...he hasn't received an employee number for logging into the computer when he arrives and leaves...he has been writing his hours on paper, and keeping the paper...so he may not get a paycheck this time...the hours might have to be on the following paycheck...I told him that he needs to go in early today and ask about that......they won't bite him or anything...

Matthew forgot his saxophone yesterday...they didn't need instruments all week last week because of half days for conference week...so he kind of got out of the habit of taking it...and his practice slip was in there, so he couldn't turn it in...he says the teacher won't accept it today, but being the first week of needing them, I think he might...Matthew just needs to ask.  Matthew's conference went really well...he was completely organized (student-led conference)...the teacher said that he is doing very well...I requested that she make sure that he is being challenged...the band kids don't get the extra Math workshop...so I asked the teacher if he could get weekly packets of the advanced class, so he can keep up on the latest methods...he gets really bored with the regular classroom math...I want him to stay challenged, so when he gets into junior high and high school, he will already know how to use his brain...Matthew just finished the 5th Harry Potter book...he is currently reading Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh...a really good book...he said that he wanted a quick easy book before going on to the 6th HP book...

Well...I have to be a good example for chef son, and not spend too much time on the message boards...he has been spending WAY too much time online...to the exclusion of doing his chores, getting his room ready to move back into...he has been living in our living room...which isn't my idea of "ideal"...he left his room a huge mess when he left for school...I hauled out three big bags of trash, and then I gave up...figured he could do it when he came home...plus, we have been storing a few things in there...so he was supposed to be helping me get the messy play room in order, so I can put the stored items in there...but he has to clean up his mess in his room before he will be allowed to move in there...otherwise, it will NEVER get cleaned...he tends to be a slob...his clothing is all over our dining room table...fine for now because the dining room table is hopelessly buried in stuff...that's a project for another day...anyway, I confiscated his computer last night, so he could get a good nights sleep, instead of being kept up by his chat room buddies...he was none too happy about it...he'll get it back for awhile today...maybe...I'll let him use our computer to print out his time sheet for school, so he can get the boss to sign it and get it sent off to the school...

Anyway...gotta scoot...Becky

The blazing banners at the top of the MB page have the links to the BETA FAQ page (I have been a PEST there!) and the actual BETA site. I would recommend that, especially if you threw up you hands in disgust at the earlier attempts (this testing version, buggy though it still is, is MUCH better than last year's "live" attempts), to check out the FAQ page first.

FYI, you will have to login separately at the BETA site (same username and PW), and re-upload your preferred profile image. After you login, you will see your profile. On the lefthand side of the page is a box showing whether you have any comments needing your approval or "Friends" that want to be added (I know of one! ;)  ).

Hope that can at least get ya started. I'll talk about actual "school stuff" tomorrow.

Later!

Prof

October 15, 2008, 12:09 pm CDT

Now for the school stuff

The blazing banners at the top of the MB page have the links to the BETA FAQ page (I have been a PEST there!) and the actual BETA site. I would recommend that, especially if you threw up you hands in disgust at the earlier attempts (this testing version, buggy though it still is, is MUCH better than last year's "live" attempts), to check out the FAQ page first.

FYI, you will have to login separately at the BETA site (same username and PW), and re-upload your preferred profile image. After you login, you will see your profile. On the lefthand side of the page is a box showing whether you have any comments needing your approval or "Friends" that want to be added (I know of one! ;)  ).

Hope that can at least get ya started. I'll talk about actual "school stuff" tomorrow.

Later!

Prof

We're coming up on the end of the 9-weeks' grading period here. Hopefully, Anne can maintain the rest of her class grades & bring up the sagging math grade in time! She is carrying a C-plus at last accounting.

The 7th-graders don't "have" to do the Science Fair, but they *do* have to research a topic and compile the background information as though they were going to do a full-blown project. This is due Friday; I *think* she can get a decent job done in time. That reminds me! I need to get the paperwork in so I can judge the thing in December, no doubt much to the chagrin of Miss Anne!!

She has a geography test tomorrow and an essay due Friday, and that may be about it for the grading period. Next weekend, they have a 4-day weekend, between what might be called a "local" holiday on the 24th and a teacher workday on the 27th.

Hope stuff works out with that externship -- I'm a fine one to talk right now about computer time on occasion!! LOL It's time for Jack's snack.

Prof

October 24, 2008, 8:53 am CDT

Now for the car crash stuff!!

We're coming up on the end of the 9-weeks' grading period here. Hopefully, Anne can maintain the rest of her class grades & bring up the sagging math grade in time! She is carrying a C-plus at last accounting.

The 7th-graders don't "have" to do the Science Fair, but they *do* have to research a topic and compile the background information as though they were going to do a full-blown project. This is due Friday; I *think* she can get a decent job done in time. That reminds me! I need to get the paperwork in so I can judge the thing in December, no doubt much to the chagrin of Miss Anne!!

She has a geography test tomorrow and an essay due Friday, and that may be about it for the grading period. Next weekend, they have a 4-day weekend, between what might be called a "local" holiday on the 24th and a teacher workday on the 27th.

Hope stuff works out with that externship -- I'm a fine one to talk right now about computer time on occasion!! LOL It's time for Jack's snack.

Prof

Kulinary Kid John crashed his car last night. He mis-negotiated a sharp curve, hit the gravel, lost control, and rolled his car...it landed upsidedown...thank God that he was wearing his seat belt...and that his chef knives were in the trunk!!  He had put them in the case, but he forgot to ZIP the case!!  He is lucky to be alive...but his car is totaled...

That means that MOM is his taxi service, until he can save up enough to get another car...problem is, for his budget, he will be buying somebody elses car problems...hopefully, he can get that worked out soon...it is 30 minutes each way...twice a day...because I don't want to stay out in town for 7 or 8 hours while he is at work...he will be paying us for the gas...he will pay per mile based on our gas milage and current gas prices.  He will continue to pay rent, which is going into a savings account for him...probably first for the car, but also to start paying early on his student loans. 

He is doing very well at his externship...he wasn't getting enough hours for what he needs for school credit...only 2 or 3 days per week...so he arranged with the head chef to go in and work for free to get the rest of his hours...now, the chef has decided to add him to the schedule...paid...for 5 days per week...great news...all except the taxi service...there are NO busses out our way...being 30 minutes from town and all...

Scott did a video for English class...very creative...based on Thomas Payne's essay...they did an analogy between the Revolutionary war based on a basket ball game...they started with volley ball, but they couldn't manage to keep the ball in the air, so they switched to the two-on-two basket ball...it was really cute when the only girl on the team hurt his finger...Scott ran over to make sure she was OK...he probably would have done that for anybody, but it was cute...several girls appear to have a crush on him...just my observation from being around them at band events and helping with his school project.

Because of the car crash, we were up until 2 AM helping Scott finish editing his video...

Matthew is coming along on his saxophone...he is playing ahead of the class in his book...there are 70 kids in beginning band...and only one teacher...the principal of the school helps out when he can with the trumpets...and that's what I'll be doing too...At the end of the school year, the band teacher is inviting any of the beginning band kids who have siblings in Jr. High or High School band to march in a local parade with the Jr. high band...he will get them the music well in advance...

Last Friday night, I and the intermediate school principal played our trumpets with the band at the homecoming game...to help out the very small trumpet section...it was a blast!!  The band teacher says we're "hired"...we were helping to conserve the lips of the kids because their marching band competition was the next day...their scores at the contest were MUCH improved over the previous contest...they placed third in their division...

I haven't checked Scott's grades this week...gotta do that...I want to see if he has improved on getting his assignments turned in...the English teacher keeps him in lunch detention and makes him do any missed assignments...for half-credit...better than a zero, but still an F...for an A paper...eventually, he'll see the light...

Gotta go...lots to do...Have a good day...Becky

October 28, 2008, 6:37 pm CDT

security at school

I am a teacher. I am activily involved with the local police gang unit as this is a burgeoning problem for middle school teachers in my community. Most recently the juggalos! I feel my job is not only to educate, but protect, hence my active relationship with local police reporting suspicious activity . Since I have moved my community I have lived in the community, and remained at my 'persistently dangerous' school for that reason. I teach instrumental music, which I doubt my school district will be keeping the next year. The kids who turned in their funraisers past the deadline were not able to collect their items which came in today.

So I'm at school, staying late, and an angry parent comes in bc her child did not turn in his fundraiser by the deadline. I explained regarding the parent leter that came home came home , the deadline,and the fact that late fundraisrs might not come in time. She begins verbally abusing me, calling me names, putting her finger up to my nose, constantly interrupting, clenching her fists inches from my face face, telling me to go f myself.  I braced myself, convinced she was going to hit me. No one was in the room except my 12 yr old daughter who was terrified. I told her that she had to leave and continue this discussion with an administrator. She demanded that I get one now! Nobody was at the school. No deans, no hall monitors. I fled looking for help and no one was there. She left by the time I came back, and I don't even know if she took another kid's items to get even.

At that point I was plain freaked out. I left a message for the principal explaining what happened, who the parent was etc... I said I was going home although the (approvedby administration) stated I would be on campus until 6:00pm to distribute the items. Why was personnel not kept on site if they knew I would be there alone? Did I do the right thing? I really thought she was going to hit me! There  was no protection on campus to diffuse her or make her leave. My daughter and I ran for help from my own classroom.

What could I  have done differently in this situation? I beleive that kids model their parent's behavior and I am in a no win situation. I was a Disney Teacher of the Year Nominee. Does that even matter? I feel like I am fighting a losing battle in our school system. Any suggestions? I've been a teacher for 7 years, but I am new here (this board). I am so discouraged I am ready to quit. My students have beeen featured on television 2 years in a row. I am competent. But I am not safe!

October 28, 2008, 6:38 pm CDT

School Issues

Sorry for the typos. I know better.

October 29, 2008, 8:35 am CDT

My daughter was threaten (direct specific threat) at school and they are doing nothing, what do I do?

In the beginning of the year this kid was doing defensive Pressure Points on the back of my daughters neck. Then my daughter told on a boy for giving her an Indian Rug Burn and he told her that the next time she tells on him he will Twist her neck. I have seen this kid with his hands around another girls neck and he also have extreme behavior problems. We spoke to the principle but he put the blame back on my daughter for not saying anything and when he talk to her, he told her that he, her teacher and I won't always be around to protect her. My daughter is only 7 and scared! What do I do since the school will not punish or do anything about this??

Also The School hand book states that bullying and threats will not be tolerated but it since like they just tolerated it!
I think my next plan is to contact other parent in the class and find out if the same thing has happen to their child. Maybe with more complaints the school might do something. If that doesn't my next step is to get the cops involved and maybe file a restraining order against the child so he can't go to school with her.  I'm I over reacting?

First | Prev | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | Next | Last