Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 18, 2008, 8:28 am CST

Welcome to the world of Junior High

Quote From: frustratedmom2

I'm writing today with such a sense of frustration today, that I really don't know where to turn.  I have a 12 year old son who up until last year excelled at school.  He would always get straight A's, we never had to ask him if he completed his homework or even have to check his homework.  He just did well & was very disciplined with his school work.  Last year he went through a change with a teacher who was not very structured, but taught the kids a LOT!  My son would wait until the end of each quarter and turn in all of his work for the quarter & turn his grades from F's to B's by doing over 75 papers in one weekend.  This year he is in middle school and late homework is no longer acceptable and his grades are now truly suffering.  We have disciplined him at home by taking away his phone, his TV privileges, his sporting privileges and it just doesn't seem to be working.  His friends all are doing well with school.  He loves school but we just can't seem to get him to care about his grades.  Every night it seems to be a fight as to whether he has homework, whether he's done his homework, and what is coming up for the week.  He is now lying to us and it's not until we get the progress reports that we find out how poor his grades have become & then it's too late.  If anyone has any advice as to what to do or how to handle this I would greatly appreciate some advice. 

Our middle son is 15, and he is in 10th grade.  Junior high is such a change from elementary school...instead of one teather, they have 5 or 6...and that makes it more difficult to track one student...the teachers have 100 or more students to keep track of...

I would suggest getting in touch with the school counselor before it goes any further...we are dealing with the lying too...our son will say he doesn't have homewor, and then, missing assignments show up on the school's grade-check website...

The grade-check website is an excellent tool...but the drawback is that I don't find out about the missing assignments until it is too late....

Set up a conference with each of your son's teachers...or a group conference with all of his teachers and the school counselor...

In the conference, set up arrangements where you can email the teachers once a week to find out what the upcoming assignments are...that way, you can be ahead of the game by already knowing what is in store...and then, ask your son to show you the completed assignments when he says he is done...

We also dump our our son's backpack on a regular basis to see what is in there...he has his assignments well organized...but they are blank...

He is making excuses in Science class that the teacher picks "favorites", and that he "already knows" everything there is to learn in the class.....because of a failing grade in Science, he has been banned by the school from participating in Pep Band for the basketball games...according to our son, a high number of sophomores are failing in that particular class....I'd be interested to find out the real story...I'll be stopping in to see the teacher right after Christmas break...I will be emailing the teachers today to find out if there are any assignments or projects expected to be done over the break....

Communication is your greatest weapon...we found that banning our son from all fun things wasn't working...we made a contract with him...a point system based on improvement of his grades every week...if there was improvement, he gained points...if there was grade-sliding, he lost points....with a reward at the end of the school year for making the set goal of points (basically a B average)...he did actually  improve his grades...however, this time of year seems to be the most difficult for him...

I should mention that our son has Narcolepsy, and ADHD...so it is more difficult for him...but we are not allowing him to use those as an excuse...other than Science, he is doing pretty well...

I hope this helps...Becky

January 23, 2009, 2:16 pm CST

Hi

Quote From: mustbecrazy

This board has been awfully quiet...does that mean that all of our kids are doing so well in school that we don't have anything to discuss?  Or maybe everybody is busy?  (busy is the word for me)

Scott's report card came yesterday...his Power Point presentation saved his Science grade...and they are done with evolution...on to REAL biology...they will be doing dissections of plants and animals, using a microscope...all of the things that SHOULD be done in Biology class....

Scott earned and A in Math....the first academic A for him since starting high school!!!  I told him that when he accumulates 5 A's in academic classes (that excludes music, art, and PE), he will get a school sweat shirt...he really wants one of those...his other grades were B's and C's...and a D in Science...better than an F...I hope that he is doing his work now..........I need to check the grade website today to see where he is at...if he has F's in any classes, he will be barred from playing in Pep Band for the basketball games...and the band is so small that it really hurts them when players are missing.....Scott ended up doing a solo for the Star Spangled Banner at the last game because there were only three kids in the Pep Band...the rest were banned due to grades....I hope the turn-out is better this week...

Matthew earned a "gold" honor roll award, and he is among the top 10 readers for the whole 5th grade....determined by the amount of AR points...which isn't really an entirely accurate way to rate the readers...those with more points are reading easier books than Matthew is...he is reading LONG books...he has finished the Harry Potter series, and he is now reading Eragon...Matthew gets bored with books that are too easy....His weakest point is his handwriting...still developing neatness...but he is improving...it is mostly legible now....

John, the culinary kid, is still doing his externship at a very exclusive restaurant...a lot of his hours are unpaid...which is how an externship works...he has developed some recipes that have been on the daily specials menu...including a salad that cost $24 per plate.......however, he needs a lot of work in the self-motivation department...he thinks that he can sleep all day...time this morning for the squirt bottle to get him out of bed....he is SUPPOSED to be getting his room cleaned up, so there is room to store his things that are currently stacked in the play room.....he should have had this done weeks ago...

Profmaryann...I haven't heard from you in awhile...I hope everything is OK in your neck of the woods...we are bitterly cold here in Washington State....we woke up to 0.7 degrees F.......but other parts of the country are colder...with -25.....and the New York area has a wide-spread power outage after an ice storm....so I'll consider us lucky......we are now up to 6.0 degrees...near the predicted high for the day....

Becky

I guess it *has* been a while since I've been over here! I've fiddled with what is about to be the "new" Dr. Phil.com site off and on.

Glad to hear things w/the boys are improving, somewhat. I'll refrain from putting in my 2 cents about the science class, as the issue appears to be resolved for now.

School stuff with Anne -- is going. I'm annoyed that she's decided to fool around in class, rather than work, and the in-class work is the bulk of the grades! YIKES! I guess they've had too many problems with parents doing HW assignments *for* the students.

Hubs' job prospect appears to be at a dead end. The response from his letter of continuing interest was lukewarm in tone and late in coming. The upshot is I'm now looking for work, as his current position will end with the retirement of his boss. That could well occur next year.

Weather-wise, the last few days and nights were COLD -- by North FL standards, at any rate -- lows in the LOW 20s for the last 4 nights. The damage to the strawberry and citrus crops is still being assessed. Most of our plants made it (I think!), but we have a couple that are looking pretty ratty right now.

How much have you done on the BETA site? Not much, I gather. Tell you what I'll do -- I'll post a "comment" to your blog over there. Once you get the relevant info, just refuse to accept the comment, and it won't appear on your blog.

Prof

April 23, 2009, 1:07 pm CDT

fear of examinations

Hi Dr. Phil,

I'm a student in a High school...

I really have a motivation to send this letter to you.

I heard about you, and I like your show, also I Iike your way of thinking and talking honestly.

I really hope that you will help me and give me some information about fear of examinations.

There are more than 40 student in our high school have this problem "fear of examinations”, so my friends and I decided to make a study and a small project about this theme, maybe it will help those student to get over this problem, and we have some questions about fear of examinations, besides I want you to help us Dr. Phil, only you the most famous psychologist in the world.

Your great qualities and wonderful characteristics inspired me to ask you if you really want to answer!

Are you willing to give me your answers of my project theme?!

If you agree just send a massage to my e-mail address (s.massarwa_15@hotmail.com)

I hope so...

Thank you for everything...

Yours,

S.M

August 11, 2009, 6:04 am CDT

School Issues

Quote From: nice15rose

Hi Dr. Phil,

I'm a student in a High school...

I really have a motivation to send this letter to you.

I heard about you, and I like your show, also I Iike your way of thinking and talking honestly.

I really hope that you will help me and give me some information about fear of examinations.

There are more than 40 student in our high school have this problem "fear of examinations, so my friends and I decided to make a study and a small project about this theme, maybe it will help those student to get over this problem, and we have some questions about fear of examinations, besides I want you to help us Dr. Phil, only you the most famous psychologist in the world.

Your great qualities and wonderful characteristics inspired me to ask you if you really want to answer!

Are you willing to give me your answers of my project theme?!

If you agree just send a massage to my e-mail address (s.massarwa_15@hotmail.com)

I hope so...

Thank you for everything...

Yours,

S.M

I have this problem too and do not know what to do. I hope I get an advice oand help.

August 26, 2009, 10:56 am CDT

Kindergartener Cries at school

This is my daughters 4th day of school.  The first days she cried but now she is sreamiing.  She says that she hates school and that she doesn't want to go back to school.  I stay firm and with the pain I am also feeling I try to keep her calm but it has gotten harder. 

Today as I she was walking to her class she was still crying and screaming,  one of the helpers told me that it would be easier if I just dropped her off and left.  I didn't like that, I figured that since it wasn't her child crying and screaming, it was just easy for her to say that.  I waited until they went into class and she was still crying. 

What can I do???  I am super upset today I just want to burst into tears and cry.  I am wondering if she is being treated right, if she is getting yelled at because she doesn't stop crying.  I just don't feel a nice connection between the teacher and the kids.  She seems to be treated the kids as 1st graders.  I don't know if I am being over protected but I already talked to the teacher about her telling my how my daughter was not good in school.  She told me in front of everyone, that doesn't embarrass me, its that she is not really caring about the kids feeling.  It was their first day of kindergarten and she was already embarrassing them in front of everyone.  I called the teacher and I told her how I felt, since then she hasn't said anything about any student, and that makes me feel that she listens to us and is willing to work with us, but she still doesn't make me comfortable, what if she is just putting a nice face in front of me and then screams at my kid. 

Please someone help me.  What should I do???

First | Prev | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | Next Page | Last Page