Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 25, 2005, 7:24 am CDT

your thoughts

What are all of your thoughts on schools having a "full time" nurse at the school? My son will attend kindergaten this year. He is a diabetic child on insulin. The school he will be going to has a part time nurse. She goes to different schools each day throughout the county. I had to sign a  piece of paper when I registered him for school this year stating that the school would not be held responsible for anything that happens to him at school. The schools are granted immunity. I later found out that if anything happened to my son at school pertaining to his disease, that I would be held responsible for "medical neglect". I dont think this is fair. We are now pushing the school to get a full time nurse for his care while he is at school. I have contacted the American Diabetes Association and got a copy of all of my sons "civil rights". He cannot be discriminated against because of his diabetes. I was told that he has to have his glucagon kit kept at school so that way the school will be forced to get a full time nurse. I have also contacted the Board of Education about this and the man said that if the  school got a full time nurse, the school will have to pay for the full time nurse. (I thought the Board of Education pays for this). Either way I think the school is going to be upset that we are requestiong a full time nurse, because they are not wanting to pay for one, but I know that the school is receiving funds for my child attending there and I think they can use those funds to pay for his nurse. Whats a concerned mother to do? I want to have "peace" in knowing that my child will be taken care of properly while in the schools care.  I think ALL schools ought to have a full time nurse. Anything can happen to anyone while being there. What do you guys think?

July 25, 2005, 9:40 am CDT

nurses in school

I do not have children in the schools at this time but your message certainly concerns me and another thing to be checked up on before it is time for my children to attend, We have already decided against the public school system as far as our children go, but knowing that the schools are denying this type of care is redicoulous and wrong, the schools need to be held accountable in taking care of the kids properly and need to have experienced and knowledgeable staff on hand. I think if you supply all the things that your child needs and I am sure they have medical and shot records on file and everything concerning your sons health needs to be documented. I would certainlly keep pursuing this and don't stop til you find the help that you need. Have you actually talked to a lawyer about this and seeing what your options are. Getting advice and some professional input certainly would not hurt. And to be perfectly honest, I personally would have a hard time sending my child to a system that doesn't have the staff to over see medical conditions, too bad that the school doesn't think hiring a full time nurse is a good investment...........

July 25, 2005, 4:08 pm CDT

Seems Simple

Quote From: jettav

I do not have children in the schools at this time but your message certainly concerns me and another thing to be checked up on before it is time for my children to attend, We have already decided against the public school system as far as our children go, but knowing that the schools are denying this type of care is redicoulous and wrong, the schools need to be held accountable in taking care of the kids properly and need to have experienced and knowledgeable staff on hand. I think if you supply all the things that your child needs and I am sure they have medical and shot records on file and everything concerning your sons health needs to be documented. I would certainlly keep pursuing this and don't stop til you find the help that you need. Have you actually talked to a lawyer about this and seeing what your options are. Getting advice and some professional input certainly would not hurt. And to be perfectly honest, I personally would have a hard time sending my child to a system that doesn't have the staff to over see medical conditions, too bad that the school doesn't think hiring a full time nurse is a good investment...........

It really does seem simple from the outside. I sincerely doubt it is a matter of the school not thinking the school nurse is a sound investment. I am a teacher who gets about two dollars per student per year to buy my supplies. I have watched schools, at least in California, eliminate musisc, counseling, services for students in resource programs (students with diagnosed learning disabilities), and the list goes on and on. Your problem is really with your state legislators. Naturally you suggest that the parents get a lawyer. Of course that always the answer to not having enough money. I would suggest you talk with the principal and your child's teacher to see what you can work out. I would also suggest that you take the time to ask how your school receives its money. Find out how much of the money is already earmarked for what programs, these programs being regulated by statute, and how much the school and the district actually receive. I think you will be shocked at how much of the money goes to duplicate work at the state level. It has become so fashionable to take shots at schools, like they have set this up themselves. School funding never keeps up with inflation and legislators frequently add requirements and programs that they neglect to fund. Reading posts like yours is disheartening. Parents are really the only advocates schools have. For parents to not bother to understand the issues becomes self-defeating. You are not fighting the enemy, you are fighting your ally. In education it is only the schools who are accountable. I would just once like to see parents, politicians and their lawyers held even partially accountable.

July 25, 2005, 9:37 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: jb7ctx

What are all of your thoughts on schools having a "full time" nurse at the school? My son will attend kindergaten this year. He is a diabetic child on insulin. The school he will be going to has a part time nurse. She goes to different schools each day throughout the county. I had to sign a piece of paper when I registered him for school this year stating that the school would not be held responsible for anything that happens to him at school. The schools are granted immunity. I later found out that if anything happened to my son at school pertaining to his disease, that I would be held responsible for "medical neglect". I dont think this is fair. We are now pushing the school to get a full time nurse for his care while he is at school. I have contacted the American Diabetes Association and got a copy of all of my sons "civil rights". He cannot be discriminated against because of his diabetes. I was told that he has to have his glucagon kit kept at school so that way the school will be forced to get a full time nurse. I have also contacted the Board of Education about this and the man said that if the school got a full time nurse, the school will have to pay for the full time nurse. (I thought the Board of Education pays for this). Either way I think the school is going to be upset that we are requestiong a full time nurse, because they are not wanting to pay for one, but I know that the school is receiving funds for my child attending there and I think they can use those funds to pay for his nurse. Whats a concerned mother to do? I want to have "peace" in knowing that my child will be taken care of properly while in the schools care. I think ALL schools ought to have a full time nurse. Anything can happen to anyone while being there. What do you guys think?
Geeze.  I know some school districts around us have a traveling nurse.  However, I also know that if the need is there a child can be sent to another school, even if out of district, that has a full time nurse available.  The district would have to provide transportation.  Also, if the school cannot provide adequate supervision etc then it is the school districts responsibility to provide home education/turtoring so that the child may receive the adequate medical attention at home.

August 2, 2005, 9:22 am CDT

school nurse

Quote From: momof4gals

Geeze.  I know some school districts around us have a traveling nurse.  However, I also know that if the need is there a child can be sent to another school, even if out of district, that has a full time nurse available.  The district would have to provide transportation.  Also, if the school cannot provide adequate supervision etc then it is the school districts responsibility to provide home education/turtoring so that the child may receive the adequate medical attention at home.

I worked the health room at my childs elementary school several years ago.  It is amazing to me the number of children who are neglected.  I feel that every school should have a full time nurse period.  We had to call the paramedics several times for children with diabetic problems.  In my opinion that was THE BIGGIST issue that I delt with the many years that I worked the healthroom.

I think you should push the issue. Your child has rights and I think the school is responsible.

August 9, 2005, 9:07 am CDT

update

We got a full-time nurse!! Today is the first day of school for my son. He is excited, I am depressed. He was happy to leave me, I wasnt happy to leave him. I said "bye", he said "bye". I said "I love you", he just turned his head real quick like he didnt hear me and walked off. (I guess I may have embarassed him). He wouldnt even give me a kiss. lol! Oh well, I cant wait until he comes home today! Just wanted to share our good news.

August 18, 2005, 8:50 am CDT

My Grandaughter Hates Kindergarten!

Maybe some of you can help me with this problem:  my 5-year old granddaughter hates kindergarten!  She's been going every day since August 10 and I was hoping this was a problem that would eventually go away but instead it keeps getting worse every day.  She cries and clings and makes her mother (my daughter) feel very guilty.  She attended pre-school for three years without all this, but it's a new school, new kids, new routine.  We've tried de-emphasizing the negativity by emphasizing the positive aspects but still the behavior continues.  I feel sorry for her and don't want to be cold-hearted so what's the answer?  The teacher and principal have told us to tough it out and it will get better in a few days.  Yesterday I had lunch with her at school and she asked if I could take her home so I think I made it worse instead of better.  We went through all the crying and clinging again when I thought my visit would bring her comfort.  We've tried putting her favorite stuffed kitty in her back pack for comfort but this doesn't seem to have helped.  Some of her comments are "I would like to bulldoze the school," "My teacher is annoying and I don't like her," and "I hate PE most of all.  It is stupid and boring. They make us dribble-I hate to dribble!"  Should I just be patient and give it more time?  I'm the one who picks her up in the afternoon so of course then she's happy but no so in the mornings.  P.S.  She's in good health and can already read and gets enough sleep and eats well. 

August 19, 2005, 8:11 am CDT

Hi

Quote From: babsp99

Maybe some of you can help me with this problem:  my 5-year old granddaughter hates kindergarten!  She's been going every day since August 10 and I was hoping this was a problem that would eventually go away but instead it keeps getting worse every day.  She cries and clings and makes her mother (my daughter) feel very guilty.  She attended pre-school for three years without all this, but it's a new school, new kids, new routine.  We've tried de-emphasizing the negativity by emphasizing the positive aspects but still the behavior continues.  I feel sorry for her and don't want to be cold-hearted so what's the answer?  The teacher and principal have told us to tough it out and it will get better in a few days.  Yesterday I had lunch with her at school and she asked if I could take her home so I think I made it worse instead of better.  We went through all the crying and clinging again when I thought my visit would bring her comfort.  We've tried putting her favorite stuffed kitty in her back pack for comfort but this doesn't seem to have helped.  Some of her comments are "I would like to bulldoze the school," "My teacher is annoying and I don't like her," and "I hate PE most of all.  It is stupid and boring. They make us dribble-I hate to dribble!"  Should I just be patient and give it more time?  I'm the one who picks her up in the afternoon so of course then she's happy but no so in the mornings.  P.S.  She's in good health and can already read and gets enough sleep and eats well. 
My son went to a pre-school last year and he did the same thing. What broke him of that crying and clinginess was his teacher had to hold him in her arms while he cried, as I left him there. He did this for 2 days and with the help of his teacher hanging onto him so I could leave, it eventually made him realize that the crying and clinginess isnt going to work and he had to stay at school. I know it breaks your heart to see her go through this, but if the teacher can help by holding her as you walk away, it will get better and she will adjust to it. My son is in kindergarten this year and every mourning he tells me he dont want to go to school. He hates it too. But I get him up and dressed and fed, and drop him off at school and they walk him in. He knows he has too, even though he dont want too. Give it some time and it will get better. When you drop her off, stay in a spirited mood even though she isnt in one, and tell her you will see her this afternoon. It does make us feel guilty leaving them somewhere they dont want to be, but it is what is best for them even though they dont realize it yet. My son gives me mean looks as I drop him off like, "I cant believe you are making me go here". But in the afternoons when I pick him up , he is glad to show me what all he did that day at school. Good luck!! and hang in there!

August 31, 2005, 10:11 am CDT

Severe Learning Disabilities!

Does anybody know if Dr. Phil has ever done a show pertaining only to children with severe LD and if he has how could I go about getting a copy of that show?  My 10 year old son has been diagnosed with LD, short term memory loss, low muscle tone etc. and is failing misarably in school.  He goes to a private school so has no IEP.  My biggest problem isn't with him failing in his classes but the fact that he is an overachiever in EVERYTHING he does but because of his diabilities his achievements are below average.  How can you keep a child like this motivated.  His muscle tone affects the sports he loves to play and tries SO hard at, his LD affect his school work which again he works So hard at sometimes spending 7-8 hours a night on homework and he has a hard time making friends and he has become a complete loner.  I don't want to see him just give up on everything...we have put him through tons of testing and I don't know where else to turn.  If this sounds like anything Dr. Phil has discussed please let me know.  Thanks a million

September 1, 2005, 2:31 pm CDT

school nurses

In my school district in NC we share our nurse with FOUR schools.  I think she is at our elementary school on tuesday and thursday mornings.  This is quite rediculous I agree.  However it is not an excuse for inadequate healthcare in schools.  The teachers are traing to handle emergencies.  There has to be a certified person to handout medications.  What I mean is that the school staff should trained to handle all emergencies that arise.  I think the major reason for the nurse is to help watch and diagnos abuse.  I may be wrong.
    The issue with the insulin dependent boy, I am so sorry but this is not uncommon at all.  I am friends with a family who has a 5 year old child beginning kindergarten on an insulin pump.  I was floored to find out all the hard work it takes to care for her.  She also has the glucagon kit and the nurse and two classroom teachers are trained on how to use it but the teacher is responsible for inputting all the nutritional information in the pump ( everytime she eats anything or drinks anything they input what and how much then the pumps regulates the insulin she receives) The teacher aslo has to check the childs blood sugar every half hour. 
Could you imagine being that teacher that is a great deal of responsibility? 
Could you imagine being a student in that class what a disruption? 
Could you imagine being that child?  Having to have special treatment all day long. 
    It breaks my heart thinking of this situation.  This is a BIG problem with our school systems.  I am not sure if I have any advice for you.   I am so glad you have a full-time nurse.  I don't think that you can be held responsible for any problems that occur at school unless it is your fault.  ie not sending the insulin or something.  I wish you the best of luck.  I hope that your school system provides you with the proper support. 

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last