Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 3, 2005, 5:11 pm CDT

failing school

I am  having quite a time with my 13 year old son.  He failed 7th grade last year and is off to a poor start this year with 2 f's and 2 d's on his first report card of the year.  "We" spent the first half of the year last year punished from all activities, and it really showed no results.  The second half I decided to try reward for the good grades that he did make but that didn't help either.  When the report cards came it was always bad.      HELP!!!!    He does seem to have somewhat of a concentration problem, and several of my friends and relatives suggest I have him evaluated for attention deficit disorder........any thoughts???

October 5, 2005, 9:35 am CDT

Truence

I have a 15 yr old son who will not go to school. He is know a freshman in high school. we have had this problem with him last yr. when he was only 14 he is know on probation for a year and take the chance on being sent away. I've always praised him when he goes to school. He does have ADHD and doesnt want to even take his medication for that either He wont get up for school all he want to do is sleep all day how can I convince him to go to school so he does not get pulled out of our home and sent away

October 9, 2005, 11:34 am CDT

School Issues

Quote From: nebrgal363

I have a 15 yr old son who will not go to school. He is know a freshman in high school. we have had this problem with him last yr. when he was only 14 he is know on probation for a year and take the chance on being sent away. I've always praised him when he goes to school. He does have ADHD and doesnt want to even take his medication for that either He wont get up for school all he want to do is sleep all day how can I convince him to go to school so he does not get pulled out of our home and sent away

You could drive him to school, walk him to his class and stand outside the door until school is over.   

Tammy 

October 9, 2005, 11:44 am CDT

Ask your mom what problem she has with AVID?

Quote From: problemo

I am a 14 year old Freshman in high school and my mom is very controlling towards my whole family, everyone is sick of her. we usually just put up with it and roll our eyes. but , recently things have gotten out of hand. You see, I want to attend this college prep course called AVID. my dad thinks its wonderful, but, my mother doesn't think its necessary to recieve an education when I could just stay home and clean all day. All my teachers and councelers are being really flexible in helping me fit AVID into my schedule. any ideas to help convince my mother to let me stay in AVID?

I would ask your mom a directly question of why she would want to pull you from AVID?  This would give you the option to overcome any objections she has.  I have a BA but am a stay at home mom.  I have heard the arguement many timesabout getting a degree and then staying home.  I have told people that I look at it like life insurance.  It is there to help me get a better job and get a job quicker than without a degree if I ever need a job.  We can't be sure what life will throw at us and if my husband gets hurt or something where he can't work bills will not just stop.  Try to figure out how to steer the conversation to where she would WANT you to take this course.  Even if you need to work it to where she would take pride in the fact that she has a daughter smart enough to be allowed into this course. 

Tammy   

October 10, 2005, 10:44 pm CDT

School Issues

My 8th grade year was the last year in the public school system, health problems being the main reason but there were many, many more.  First thing i must say to the parents:  if your child tells you "this teacher is out to get me", dont just blow it off, you would be supprised how many situations that this is a fact.  Nowadays a lot of teachers just teach for the paycheck, not for the passion of teaching.  that was the case at my school.  I have only had a few good teachers in the years that i attended public school, the rest just didnt really give a damn.  sometimes parents will go and sit in on a class to see what their kid is complaining about...do you really think the teacher or the students will act the same as if no one from the outside was in there?  the teacher doesnt want to deal with a complaining parent, so they arent going to mistreat any students.  my old principal would do just about anything to get a parent out of his office.  a lot of teachers JUST DONT CARE.  personality conflicts are always an issue, sometimes they happen for no reason, and sometimes they happen because of the childs work in class. 

Homework and classwork have always been an issue with me.  there should be no such thing as "home" work.  you do learning at school, if you cant get everything done there then the teacher is not doing their job.  When you stay up until 10 or 11 doing homework...that just isnt acceptable in my mind.  teachers need to cut the useless stuff out of the curriculum and just do the basics.  read the chapter, do an assignment.  thats it.  instead it seems like there is so much more.  they push way too much onto kids.  the homeschool parents will agree with me here.  especially if your child has been in the public school system, y'all will back me up, HAH!

October 12, 2005, 3:06 pm CDT

good boy, bad habits,

Hello,  

I have a question, My son is 6 and in the first grade. He is a very smart little boy, does fine in his school work. Brings home good grades. His teacher tells me, he is one of the nice, hard working little boys she seen. He is not hurtful to others, and love to lean and work on school things. But then it comes to free time, sitting still, hands to him self, or trying to be center of attention. It all falls apart. They have a program, a dime a day, or cash out. You can cash out up to 3 times. You guessed it he cashes out 2 to 3 times a day. For things like making noise when they are to be quit, jumping up and down in line, and a lot of other things like this. Not hurtful to other, just distracting to others. 

We have cleaned out his room, then let him work to get it back, had him write many times over what he did wrong, Taken him out of football games and other things, grounded over a day or weekend, so many things. It does not seem to get better. It just stays the same. He tells me, he just can not stop, or does not know why. He will do something get in touble, then 5mins later do it again.I do not want to medicate my son, I believe that is what it is leading to. What is left....... 

Hope someone can help,,,,,, 

October 12, 2005, 3:16 pm CDT

Grades

Quote From: tissuetech

I am  having quite a time with my 13 year old son.  He failed 7th grade last year and is off to a poor start this year with 2 f's and 2 d's on his first report card of the year.  "We" spent the first half of the year last year punished from all activities, and it really showed no results.  The second half I decided to try reward for the good grades that he did make but that didn't help either.  When the report cards came it was always bad.      HELP!!!!    He does seem to have somewhat of a concentration problem, and several of my friends and relatives suggest I have him evaluated for attention deficit disorder........any thoughts???

I am having the same type of problem with my oldest child. She has now failed the ninth grade and is headed down the same path this year. She has already missed 16 days out of the school year and we have had a conference with the school regarding illegal absences. Nothing seems to make an impact on her attitude. She takes my cell phone and uses all of the minutes, driving up the bill. She steals $ from us and my younger daughter.  

When she was evaluated for ADHD they put her on Stratera, but it was a joke to her and so we stopped giving it to her, knowing that taking it sporadically, would be worse than not at all. Just be very careful. Listen to him, care about him, know his friendships. We only seem to gain ground with her when we are open to her and let her tell us ANYTHING! I still give her my concerns in the ? form, but I try to get her thinking herself. Little by little, they can come back. 

Good Luck and remember, they never said parenting was easy! 

October 12, 2005, 8:03 pm CDT

Advice

Quote From: misscrab

I am having the same type of problem with my oldest child. She has now failed the ninth grade and is headed down the same path this year. She has already missed 16 days out of the school year and we have had a conference with the school regarding illegal absences. Nothing seems to make an impact on her attitude. She takes my cell phone and uses all of the minutes, driving up the bill. She steals $ from us and my younger daughter.  

When she was evaluated for ADHD they put her on Stratera, but it was a joke to her and so we stopped giving it to her, knowing that taking it sporadically, would be worse than not at all. Just be very careful. Listen to him, care about him, know his friendships. We only seem to gain ground with her when we are open to her and let her tell us ANYTHING! I still give her my concerns in the ? form, but I try to get her thinking herself. Little by little, they can come back. 

Good Luck and remember, they never said parenting was easy! 

Have you tried grounding her while supervising her.If you take things out of her room, cancel out a whole lot of privlages,and keep an eye on her at home she might feel as if your invading on her life, but it might make her tell her the message that she's being watched, and she can't get away with everything anymore. 

October 13, 2005, 9:07 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: sellingen

My 8th grade year was the last year in the public school system, health problems being the main reason but there were many, many more.  First thing i must say to the parents:  if your child tells you "this teacher is out to get me", dont just blow it off, you would be supprised how many situations that this is a fact.  Nowadays a lot of teachers just teach for the paycheck, not for the passion of teaching.  that was the case at my school.  I have only had a few good teachers in the years that i attended public school, the rest just didnt really give a damn.  sometimes parents will go and sit in on a class to see what their kid is complaining about...do you really think the teacher or the students will act the same as if no one from the outside was in there?  the teacher doesnt want to deal with a complaining parent, so they arent going to mistreat any students.  my old principal would do just about anything to get a parent out of his office.  a lot of teachers JUST DONT CARE.  personality conflicts are always an issue, sometimes they happen for no reason, and sometimes they happen because of the childs work in class. 

Homework and classwork have always been an issue with me.  there should be no such thing as "home" work.  you do learning at school, if you cant get everything done there then the teacher is not doing their job.  When you stay up until 10 or 11 doing homework...that just isnt acceptable in my mind.  teachers need to cut the useless stuff out of the curriculum and just do the basics.  read the chapter, do an assignment.  thats it.  instead it seems like there is so much more.  they push way too much onto kids.  the homeschool parents will agree with me here.  especially if your child has been in the public school system, y'all will back me up, HAH!

What are you doing now?  Are you attending a private school?  An "alternative ed" program?  Getting homeschooled?  There are also programs out there to help you get a GED.  

I understand your frustration.  I agree that there are a lot of problems with the public school system and that it's hard to fix it.  (I know because I've tried, but that's a long story.)  But if you don't find a way to finish your education, you're only hurting yourself. 

October 13, 2005, 9:25 pm CDT

first find out why he's failing

Quote From: tissuetech

Do you have regular communication with his teachers?  Does the first hint of a problem come when you see the report card?  By then it's too late.  Our school system sends out "midterm" progress reports when the marking period is supposedly half over, but even those arrive too late.   

I have plenty of ideas of things to try, but first you have to figure out WHY he's failing.  Is he just not doing the homework (because he's lazy)?  Or maybe he missed something in a previous grade and he needs extra help getting caught up.  He could be feeling overwhelmed and doesn't know where to start to get things turned around.  What were his grades like before 7th grade?  If he's been struggling for a long time, maybe he has an undiagnosed learning disability. 

That why I think you should start by talking to his teachers.  Request a face to face meeting.  Find out what they think the problem is.  If you're not satisfied with their answers, you can request that the school conduct a formal evaluation. 

Also, ask your son what he thinks the problem is.  And really listen to what he says.  You might learn something valuable. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last