Message Boards

Topic : School Issues

Number of Replies: 685
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:14:15 pm
Author : dataimport
Does your child dread going to school? Are they having problems with unfinished homework or slipping grades? Is their a personality conflict with their teacher? Share your school issues here and get advice and support from other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 13, 2005, 9:31 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: bmcbbreed

Hello,  

I have a question, My son is 6 and in the first grade. He is a very smart little boy, does fine in his school work. Brings home good grades. His teacher tells me, he is one of the nice, hard working little boys she seen. He is not hurtful to others, and love to lean and work on school things. But then it comes to free time, sitting still, hands to him self, or trying to be center of attention. It all falls apart. They have a program, a dime a day, or cash out. You can cash out up to 3 times. You guessed it he cashes out 2 to 3 times a day. For things like making noise when they are to be quit, jumping up and down in line, and a lot of other things like this. Not hurtful to other, just distracting to others. 

We have cleaned out his room, then let him work to get it back, had him write many times over what he did wrong, Taken him out of football games and other things, grounded over a day or weekend, so many things. It does not seem to get better. It just stays the same. He tells me, he just can not stop, or does not know why. He will do something get in touble, then 5mins later do it again.I do not want to medicate my son, I believe that is what it is leading to. What is left....... 

Hope someone can help,,,,,, 

You could have him evaluated by an Occupational Therapist that specializes in Sensory Processing Disorders.  (You can go to www.spdnetwork.org to learn more about this.)  It has nothing to do with intelligence.  Some really bright people (including my son who is in high school honors classes and gets really good grades) have problems with sensory processing. 

October 14, 2005, 6:31 am CDT

thank

Quote From: joyceymay

You could have him evaluated by an Occupational Therapist that specializes in Sensory Processing Disorders.  (You can go to www.spdnetwork.org to learn more about this.)  It has nothing to do with intelligence.  Some really bright people (including my son who is in high school honors classes and gets really good grades) have problems with sensory processing. 

Thank-you 

Anything is worth looking in too, I've never heard of this. 

Who knows it may help. 

Thanks, 

Michelle

October 14, 2005, 11:36 am CDT

School Issues

Quote From: bmcbbreed

Hello,  

I have a question, My son is 6 and in the first grade. He is a very smart little boy, does fine in his school work. Brings home good grades. His teacher tells me, he is one of the nice, hard working little boys she seen. He is not hurtful to others, and love to lean and work on school things. But then it comes to free time, sitting still, hands to him self, or trying to be center of attention. It all falls apart. They have a program, a dime a day, or cash out. You can cash out up to 3 times. You guessed it he cashes out 2 to 3 times a day. For things like making noise when they are to be quit, jumping up and down in line, and a lot of other things like this. Not hurtful to other, just distracting to others. 

We have cleaned out his room, then let him work to get it back, had him write many times over what he did wrong, Taken him out of football games and other things, grounded over a day or weekend, so many things. It does not seem to get better. It just stays the same. He tells me, he just can not stop, or does not know why. He will do something get in touble, then 5mins later do it again.I do not want to medicate my son, I believe that is what it is leading to. What is left....... 

Hope someone can help,,,,,, 

Hey,

First of all I want to mention that this can be rather normal 6-year-old behaviour. I've heard that a 6 year old grows about a 1 centimeter (almost half an inch) a month and because of that they naturally need to move around.

Secondly, this doesn't sound like ADHD or ADD to me, it sounds like TS, Tourettes syndrome. Google that, it might give you some answers.

Cheers,
Sanna-Terocia.

October 14, 2005, 1:09 pm CDT

Clingy Kindergartener

My 5 year old daughter is very clingy and refuses to go to school, she cries and sticks herself to me like crazy glue.  She will not follow the lineup with the other kids and gets very upset about going to school, she continuously asks me to stay with her, and has a lot of anxiety about being seperated from me. 

I have asked her "why" she doesn't want to go, and what she is afraid of or upset about, and her only answer is that she "misses her mommy" 

She has always really liked school, and she has said she loves school and loves her new teacher, and she already has made some new best friends.  She is fine/happy once she is in the classroom, plays with the other children and participates in the activites, and she is happy when I pick her up.  But, I am having tremendous trouble getting her to seperate from me, and go to school independantly and happily.  She also does the same behavior at ballet class (and she really enjoys ballet), she refuses to line up with the other children, and the teacher has to take her hand and coax her into the room.  She loves ballet and it is only 45 minutes long, and she knows I am outside the room sitting in the parent lobby.  She still says she misses me too much to go. 

She has never been in daycare or babysat by anyone other than family, and I am begining to feel like somehow I have done her an incredible disservice by being home with her, and being a stay at home mom, because she is so unprepared to be seperated from me.  I have asked her if she would like to spend the afternoon by herself with grandma(whom she knows very well) and this seems to cause her the same anxiety about being away from me.  

She is very shy and passive and has always been clingy, even in preschool she behaved in much the same way.  She spent 2 years in Jr. Kindergarten (preschool) the first year she went 2 half days a week, and last year she went 3 half days a week. 

The first year she spent in preschool she was very excited to go (she begged us to sign her up for school), and besides the usual bumpy first week she did very well for the first half of the year, but when school resumed after christmas break, she began the extremely clingy behavior.  Her teacher told me that for some kids the "novelty" of school just wears off around that time and so they begin to have some difficulties, but to hang in there and she would get through it.  She spent the rest of the year struggling with being seperated from me. 

The second year of preschool she had a lot of anxiety and clingy behavior for the first 2-3 months, then she had a period where she did very well and went happily to school, and then the last few months of the school year the anxious behavior started again, and became much worse.  To the point where she was making herself so upset at school that she was vomitting. 

This year she goes 5 half days/week.  She has been in school for 6 weeks, which has been 24 school days.  I was hoping she would get over this by now, but she hasn't, and she seems to be getting worse again.  For a while it seemed she was starting to get better, with the help of the teacher taking her hand to help her away from me and into the school.  But there has been a few long weekends that seem to have upset the routine and her progress and thrown her right back into the axiety. 

She likes to be the first in line so we arrive early and she stands in the lineup.  When the other kids arrive she is happy, and plays and goofs around with them.  She is generally happy during this time.  When the bell rings and the teacher comes outside, she runs out of the lineup and hugs me, and won't let go of me.  She used to take the teachers hand and help lead the lineup, but now she even resists that. 

When I try talking to her about why she is so upset, she becomes very embarassed, hides her face, and says "mom I don't want to talk about this" 

I have asked her if she is afraid, if someone was mean, if she doesn't like someone, if she doesn't like school etc.  She says the only reason she doesn't want to go to shcool is because she misses me. 

I have tried explaining to her that she is only at school for a small part of the day, and the rest of the time she is with me.  I have talked to her about how it is ok to miss someone, but you don't need to be sad, and it shouldn't stop you from doing fun stuff or learnign new things.  I have told her that even when she is away from me and misses me, I am always there in her heart etc.  and that I will see her again very soon when school is over.  I have talked to her about all the fun things they do at school, and all the stuff she would miss if she didn't go. 

On the days when she does well, I reinforce her good behavior by telling her how proud I am of her, and how proud and happy she should feel of herself. 

I have been very patient with her, and tried everything I can think of; 

security item from home, family picture (we even got her a luggage tag to wear it on her belt loops), we've read the "kissing hand" story (about the racoons mom kissing his hand, so when he feels sad and misses her he can just put his hand to his face to feel her), a special friend taking her hand, helping her into the school myself, letting her just sit and watch the other kids, rewards and consequences, tough love and just letting her cry, even tried just ignoring it. 

I can't think of any major events or changes that have caused her to feel so anxious.  She is healthy, eats good foods, and gets plenty of sleep. 

Nothing seems to be helping and I am frustrated and am very close to reaching my breaking point. 

October 14, 2005, 1:42 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: madmer

My 5 year old daughter is very clingy and refuses to go to school, she cries and sticks herself to me like crazy glue.  She will not follow the lineup with the other kids and gets very upset about going to school, she continuously asks me to stay with her, and has a lot of anxiety about being seperated from me. 

I have asked her "why" she doesn't want to go, and what she is afraid of or upset about, and her only answer is that she "misses her mommy" 

She has always really liked school, and she has said she loves school and loves her new teacher, and she already has made some new best friends.  She is fine/happy once she is in the classroom, plays with the other children and participates in the activites, and she is happy when I pick her up.  But, I am having tremendous trouble getting her to seperate from me, and go to school independantly and happily.  She also does the same behavior at ballet class (and she really enjoys ballet), she refuses to line up with the other children, and the teacher has to take her hand and coax her into the room.  She loves ballet and it is only 45 minutes long, and she knows I am outside the room sitting in the parent lobby.  She still says she misses me too much to go. 

She has never been in daycare or babysat by anyone other than family, and I am begining to feel like somehow I have done her an incredible disservice by being home with her, and being a stay at home mom, because she is so unprepared to be seperated from me.  I have asked her if she would like to spend the afternoon by herself with grandma(whom she knows very well) and this seems to cause her the same anxiety about being away from me.  

She is very shy and passive and has always been clingy, even in preschool she behaved in much the same way.  She spent 2 years in Jr. Kindergarten (preschool) the first year she went 2 half days a week, and last year she went 3 half days a week. 

The first year she spent in preschool she was very excited to go (she begged us to sign her up for school), and besides the usual bumpy first week she did very well for the first half of the year, but when school resumed after christmas break, she began the extremely clingy behavior.  Her teacher told me that for some kids the "novelty" of school just wears off around that time and so they begin to have some difficulties, but to hang in there and she would get through it.  She spent the rest of the year struggling with being seperated from me. 

The second year of preschool she had a lot of anxiety and clingy behavior for the first 2-3 months, then she had a period where she did very well and went happily to school, and then the last few months of the school year the anxious behavior started again, and became much worse.  To the point where she was making herself so upset at school that she was vomitting. 

This year she goes 5 half days/week.  She has been in school for 6 weeks, which has been 24 school days.  I was hoping she would get over this by now, but she hasn't, and she seems to be getting worse again.  For a while it seemed she was starting to get better, with the help of the teacher taking her hand to help her away from me and into the school.  But there has been a few long weekends that seem to have upset the routine and her progress and thrown her right back into the axiety. 

She likes to be the first in line so we arrive early and she stands in the lineup.  When the other kids arrive she is happy, and plays and goofs around with them.  She is generally happy during this time.  When the bell rings and the teacher comes outside, she runs out of the lineup and hugs me, and won't let go of me.  She used to take the teachers hand and help lead the lineup, but now she even resists that. 

When I try talking to her about why she is so upset, she becomes very embarassed, hides her face, and says "mom I don't want to talk about this" 

I have asked her if she is afraid, if someone was mean, if she doesn't like someone, if she doesn't like school etc.  She says the only reason she doesn't want to go to shcool is because she misses me. 

I have tried explaining to her that she is only at school for a small part of the day, and the rest of the time she is with me.  I have talked to her about how it is ok to miss someone, but you don't need to be sad, and it shouldn't stop you from doing fun stuff or learnign new things.  I have told her that even when she is away from me and misses me, I am always there in her heart etc.  and that I will see her again very soon when school is over.  I have talked to her about all the fun things they do at school, and all the stuff she would miss if she didn't go. 

On the days when she does well, I reinforce her good behavior by telling her how proud I am of her, and how proud and happy she should feel of herself. 

security item from home, family picture (we even got her a luggage tag to wear it on her belt loops), we've read the "kissing hand" story (about the racoons mom kissing his hand, so when he feels sad and misses her he can just put his hand to his face to feel her), a special friend taking her hand, helping her into the school myself, letting her just sit and watch the other kids, rewards and consequences, tough love and just letting her cry, even tried just ignoring it. 

I can't think of any major events or changes that have caused her to feel so anxious.  She is healthy, eats good foods, and gets plenty of sleep. 

Nothing seems to be helping and I am frustrated and am very close to reaching my breaking point. 

first of all, there is absolutely nothing to feel guilty over, being a stay at home mom is a great thing. kids are all different from each other and some adjust better thenotehrs, I think in time she will be able to adjust, she likes school and the other activities that she is in and that is a plus, she misses you. Maybe you can encourage her to draw pictures of her family and things she is thinking about while at school, encourage her to talk about day and ask her what her favorite activity is for the day and then dwell on that. when you go to pick her up, let her know how much you missed her and that you are happy that you are together and give her big hugs. also remind her how proud you are of her that she was able to be at school and even though you miss each other, you have the rest of the day to be together. I know it must be hard but she is actually enjoying her day, Hang in there and know that you are the best mommy for her and in time, she will surprise you, that is how kids are. :)

October 15, 2005, 5:43 am CDT

separation anxiety

Quote From: madmer

I too was a stay at home mom.  The separation anxiety started for us when my son started preschool.  In his case, a little bus came to pick him up since he had developmental delays and had to go to a special school.  Every day when the bus came, the tears would start.  On one hand, I felt terrible knowing that I was sending my son out into the world without me.  On the other hand, it felt good to know that he wanted to be with me.  Also, I knew that I was doing the right thing by sending him, so that helped me deal with the guilt. 

I soon learned that the shorter and sweeter our good-byes were, the quicker he was able to adjust.  Because he had the bus ride, he was always calm by the time he got to school.  As a matter of fact, the bus driver used to say that as soon as the bus turned the corner and our house was out of sight, he calmed down.   

My advice is to talk about all of the fun, positive things about school as you're getting ready; remind her that you'll be there for her when school is over.  When you say good-bye, make it short and sweet.  Don't get sucked in by the tears to linger and offer her comfort.  Once you've said good-bye, it's somebody else's job to comfort her and distract her.  It's hard, I know, but it will get easier.  

By the way, after you've left her, go get yourself a latte or something.  Or do some deep-breathing exercises.  (Whatever you do to manage stress.)  Saying good-bye is stressful for you too. 

October 15, 2005, 2:54 pm CDT

problem with my 10 year old

I am having a problem with my 10 year old boy. He's in 4th grade this year. It has been about 7 weeks since the school year has started. I have not seen hardly any homework come home and I asked him about it and he says they don't have any. They have planners and are supose to write down in them what they are to be doing that night. Nothing ever. I think he has wrote in it about 4 times. I haven't received a call or letter from his teacher so naturally I asume everything is fine. Then I get a progress report all E's. I couldn't believe it. Not one phone call or letter. I went in and met with the teacher and princible and right from the start it was obvious that his teacher don't like him. She would rather send him back to 3rd than deal with the issue and try to help him. He is in what is called the upper elementry school which is 4-6 and I feel that sending him back is going to tell him we give up. I asked his princible if she feels he is capable and she says yes. I have been told by doctors and teachers that he is advanced for his age. He is however very lazy and has to be babysat just to get him to do something. His school does not have any hall monitors, lunch monitors or student teachers in his class. The whole time I was in there his teacher was disagreeing with everything I came up with if it ment her having to put forth an effort. I told her that I wanted a notebook with her writting in it telling me what he has to do that night and I would sign it. If he don't bring it home I will put him in his room for the whole night or print out worksheets for him to do.I am very torn in all directions I know he's capable of 4th grade and I know that if this keeps up he will fail. I had this problem last year too and I didn't know how bad it was until the third semester. It really burns me that I can't get a phone call or letter. I also am getting angry of hearing how any little effort on the teacher is not going to happen. If she is that overwhelmed then they need to get highschool kids to volunteer to come over for extra credit and help out.I also found out he is being picked on and tried to tell the teacher and she just holds her hand up and says that's not the point and lets it go. I went to this school when I was younger and had the same problems. If you don't play sports or have money you mean nothing. Please if you have any comments or sugestions I would love to hear them.

October 15, 2005, 11:33 pm CDT

School Issues

Quote From: ddccthom

I have a problem that has gone on for two years now, and I'm just not sure where to turn anymore.  I have a ten year old son that is very smart (according to his end of grade tests) but seems to be less than motivated to work on anything.  He's just recently started fifth grade, and has had three tests so far, and got two F's...one was a 0 (yes, that's a zero!).  He was diagnosed ADD/ADHD about a year and a half ago, and while medication does seem to help his overall demeanor, I'm not seeing any help with problems such as this.  

Basically, what we see on a day to day basis is a child that refuses to follow through on things that aren't "fun" to him.  He fights with me everyday about his homework, doesn't follow through on any chores without us riding his back, and has generally got a bad attitude.  We have tried doctor's, therapists, different positive reinforcement techniques, etc. but feel like we are still at the bottom of the mountain.  Nothing seems to work for more that a couple days.  He tells us that he cares about his schoolwork and grades, but then doesn't seem to do anything to change it.  I've been told to back off, let him fail, don't nag, and I've tried my best to follow these pieces of advice, but look at where we are...after almost two years, he's failing his tests and just doesn't seem to care.  Any advice for a mom that just isn't sure what else to do?????  

Please help!  

Worn out/frustrated mom in NC  

Your story sounds alot like my son's.  Last year when he was in 1st grade his teacher called us in and stated that my son had no motivation in school, was flunking, did'nt follow directions.  They told me that he was lazy and unmotivated because he scored in the 89% on his Iowa basic Test so according to them he should have no problem with the material. I was so frustraed and  was trying everything to motivate him - nothing was working.  The teacher wanted to have him evaluated for learning disabilities and so I agreed.  After about a month we got called in and the team that they had looking at him said they felt that he was ADD/ADHD and suggested that we get him on medication.  I did not agree with this and took him to many doctors -  the MD felt that he was ADD/ADHD and the eye doctor I took him to not only tested the eye (my son has 20/20 vision) but also the visual perception that a person sees.  They said that 20% of the children diagnosed with ADHD actually have a visual perception problem.  They display many of the symptoms that a child with ADHD exhibit however it is because they can't see the work as they should and give up therefore being labeled as lazy and unmotivated.  My son finished 1st grade and could not read above a pre-kindergarten level therefore was far behind.   The eye doctor arranged for vision therapy for my son and after 8 weeks of therapy (they estimate 25 weeks of therapy) he asked to read me a book today.  I was'nt sure if he would be able to do it and he read a whole chapter to me.  He is still way behind in school because he has to catch up on what he missed last year but there has been a huge improvement in his motivation with doing his work.  The doctors are saying that right now they are training his eyes to work together and after that is done we will start seeing the progress in school.  I am so impressed with the progress he has made ( He is now reading at a 1st grade level) that I am having my daughter who is in 5th grade tested this week because she has always struggled in school.

October 16, 2005, 7:43 am CDT

Education or nursing care?

Quote From: momof4gals

Geeze.  I know some school districts around us have a traveling nurse.  However, I also know that if the need is there a child can be sent to another school, even if out of district, that has a full time nurse available.  The district would have to provide transportation.  Also, if the school cannot provide adequate supervision etc then it is the school districts responsibility to provide home education/turtoring so that the child may receive the adequate medical attention at home.
The school district does get money for your child to attend school. So, the question is, do you want an education for your child or do you want nursing care? Schools don't have the funds to hire full time nurses. If you want a full-time nurse, you and others who feel the same need to pay for it.

October 16, 2005, 7:50 am CDT

unmotivated student

Quote From: yapper

I am having a problem with my 10 year old boy. He's in 4th grade this year. It has been about 7 weeks since the school year has started. I have not seen hardly any homework come home and I asked him about it and he says they don't have any. They have planners and are supose to write down in them what they are to be doing that night. Nothing ever. I think he has wrote in it about 4 times. I haven't received a call or letter from his teacher so naturally I asume everything is fine. Then I get a progress report all E's. I couldn't believe it. Not one phone call or letter. I went in and met with the teacher and princible and right from the start it was obvious that his teacher don't like him. She would rather send him back to 3rd than deal with the issue and try to help him. He is in what is called the upper elementry school which is 4-6 and I feel that sending him back is going to tell him we give up. I asked his princible if she feels he is capable and she says yes. I have been told by doctors and teachers that he is advanced for his age. He is however very lazy and has to be babysat just to get him to do something. His school does not have any hall monitors, lunch monitors or student teachers in his class. The whole time I was in there his teacher was disagreeing with everything I came up with if it ment her having to put forth an effort. I told her that I wanted a notebook with her writting in it telling me what he has to do that night and I would sign it. If he don't bring it home I will put him in his room for the whole night or print out worksheets for him to do.I am very torn in all directions I know he's capable of 4th grade and I know that if this keeps up he will fail. I had this problem last year too and I didn't know how bad it was until the third semester. It really burns me that I can't get a phone call or letter. I also am getting angry of hearing how any little effort on the teacher is not going to happen. If she is that overwhelmed then they need to get highschool kids to volunteer to come over for extra credit and help out.I also found out he is being picked on and tried to tell the teacher and she just holds her hand up and says that's not the point and lets it go. I went to this school when I was younger and had the same problems. If you don't play sports or have money you mean nothing. Please if you have any comments or sugestions I would love to hear them.
If your child has a planner that he never writes in, that is a problem. Ask the teacher if she would be willing to require your child to bring the planner to her every day for an intial in it that shows he has written down the homework. Then it is up to you to follow through and make sure he does the homework. Take away whatever activity or privilege your child wants/likes the most until you see improvement no matter how long it takes. If no homework is listed, require your child to read or work on basic math problems for 30 minutes nightly.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last