Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 10, 2007, 3:25 pm CDT

Possible Suggestions

Quote From: danamikayl

My daughter is also into music and she loves to sing. She just joined the adult choir at the church we used to go to. We no longer attend church, but she does enjoy going to sing and it's a great work out for her voice and it's free music lessons, so she can learn to read music.

My daughter will turn 13 next month and I want to do something really special. I'm not sure if it should be just the two of us, or a family thing with my hubby and her sister (6 years old). Do you have any suggestions? When she was little, I had always thought of this day  and thought I would throw her a teen party,. but she is not into that and not very social, although she is coming around and she has one best friend that is turning 15 next month as well. I would love it if you could give me some suggestions.

THank you so much!

Sherrilynn 

Well, that's great that me and your daughter have something in common; I also love to sing.

Being a parent and having your daughter become a "teenager" can be difficult I'm sure. Throw her two parties maybe? Have a family birthday party and then plan a little sleepover. But since your daughter isn't too social, you could just have a birthday party with everyone and then plan something special with your daughter. Let her invite her best friend, I'm sure she would love that. I'm not sure how close your family and relatives are, but the birthday party is just a suggestion.
Maybe you should ask her for some ideas, you could always change up what she wants just a bit.    :p
It sounds to me like your daughter is very appreciative so it shouldn't be too tough.

And you are absolutely right on the relationship topic. I could understand if maybe the boy she liked didn't have as much experience, but this boy might have too much for someone that's never been with someone before. Try to explain to her that if it's meant to be, they will still feel the same way about eachother in a few years and then they can see what happens. I'm sure this is just a temporary feeling, hopefully.    :p

And you have the right to nag, you are the parent, but remember, too much isn't good if you want an honest relationship with your daughter. One thing you do not want to do is scare her into thinking if she messes up she can't tell you because she will get in huge trouble. Every parent tries to be the perfect parent, it is impossible. As long as you try your best and your daughter realizes how much you do for her, you will seem like a super hero to her.

Hehe, and everyone has hectic times and needs someone else to turn to for advice, EVERYONE. You seem like a great parent from what you've been saying and I know you want the best for your daughter. And by the way, stress causes us all to take it out on others in some way even when we don't notice, that's just how it is, I'm sure your daughter will see that some day.

Nice chatting with you again Sherrilynn.
I'll check back a bit later.

-Angela

By the way, I wrote your daughter back and I'm glad to know that people don't depend on one's age anymore when it comes to getting advice.

clownvixen@hotmail.com

May 10, 2007, 5:05 pm CDT

Angela

Quote From: justangela

Well, that's great that me and your daughter have something in common; I also love to sing.

Being a parent and having your daughter become a "teenager" can be difficult I'm sure. Throw her two parties maybe? Have a family birthday party and then plan a little sleepover. But since your daughter isn't too social, you could just have a birthday party with everyone and then plan something special with your daughter. Let her invite her best friend, I'm sure she would love that. I'm not sure how close your family and relatives are, but the birthday party is just a suggestion.
Maybe you should ask her for some ideas, you could always change up what she wants just a bit.    :p
It sounds to me like your daughter is very appreciative so it shouldn't be too tough.

And you are absolutely right on the relationship topic. I could understand if maybe the boy she liked didn't have as much experience, but this boy might have too much for someone that's never been with someone before. Try to explain to her that if it's meant to be, they will still feel the same way about eachother in a few years and then they can see what happens. I'm sure this is just a temporary feeling, hopefully.    :p

And you have the right to nag, you are the parent, but remember, too much isn't good if you want an honest relationship with your daughter. One thing you do not want to do is scare her into thinking if she messes up she can't tell you because she will get in huge trouble. Every parent tries to be the perfect parent, it is impossible. As long as you try your best and your daughter realizes how much you do for her, you will seem like a super hero to her.

Hehe, and everyone has hectic times and needs someone else to turn to for advice, EVERYONE. You seem like a great parent from what you've been saying and I know you want the best for your daughter. And by the way, stress causes us all to take it out on others in some way even when we don't notice, that's just how it is, I'm sure your daughter will see that some day.

Nice chatting with you again Sherrilynn.
I'll check back a bit later.

-Angela

By the way, I wrote your daughter back and I'm glad to know that people don't depend on one's age anymore when it comes to getting advice.

clownvixen@hotmail.com

As I read this, I thought how wise you are and how I really think you are going to make a difference in the world. You are insightful and helpful. I hope you never lose that. When I was young (about 12) I wanted to help teens somehow in fostercare. I was in fostercare for most of my young life and I wanted to help kids in a way that no one helped me. I guess I had the "I want to save the world" mentality and there is nothing wrong with that thinking, but as I got older I realized that to work in any goverment situation like that, I would have to conform and do things their way and I could not do that. I still think that one day I may end up in a related field. When I was 12 I was in group home after group home and workers came in on shifts to look after us. I would love to do that also, but again I think I would get fired, lol for being too much like myself. I can see a teen telling me that school sucks and me agreeing and shooting off my mouth about school and telling giving them the Teenage liberation handbook. I don't think I would last long, lol. I have been a stay at home mom for almost 13 years and I'm starting to want a little something of my own now that the girls are getting a bit older. Maybe something part time. I just  don't know what I want to be when I grow up, lol. Where does a home schooling vegan mom fit in, lol? I know I will just be myself whereever I end up, but I want to feel like I can be me at whatever it is I decide to do. I would really like to work a few days a week.  

Are you working at all right now? My daughter has a babysitting job 2 days a week for neighbors across the street. She is at choir practise right now and my 6 year old is napping. She has a nasty cold.

My hubby works full time at a University near by (ironic I know). It's nice though because if the girls do decide they want to go to University, it will be free as long as they pass. If they fail, we have to pay. Talk about pressure, lol. I would really be nagging them, lol.

I will have to think about the party thing, but I think it may be a good idea. We have other families that we could invite and we have a pool, so we could have a pool party. Maybe I could have an outdoor party and do something special in the way of getting a local band? I have no idea how to go around that, but could find out. I could also invite that boy she likes. I don't mind that when it's a supervised thing. Maybe you coudl give me some tips on what to do at the party to entertain teens? I don't want to do something I think will be cool and it ends up being embarassing for her. I know I want something to do with music. Maybe a kareoke (spelling?) thing would be cool. What if it rains though? hmmmm, will have to think about all this. I'm excited!!!!

May 11, 2007, 12:55 pm CDT

Homeschooling

As I read this, I thought how wise you are and how I really think you are going to make a difference in the world. You are insightful and helpful. I hope you never lose that. When I was young (about 12) I wanted to help teens somehow in fostercare. I was in fostercare for most of my young life and I wanted to help kids in a way that no one helped me. I guess I had the "I want to save the world" mentality and there is nothing wrong with that thinking, but as I got older I realized that to work in any goverment situation like that, I would have to conform and do things their way and I could not do that. I still think that one day I may end up in a related field. When I was 12 I was in group home after group home and workers came in on shifts to look after us. I would love to do that also, but again I think I would get fired, lol for being too much like myself. I can see a teen telling me that school sucks and me agreeing and shooting off my mouth about school and telling giving them the Teenage liberation handbook. I don't think I would last long, lol. I have been a stay at home mom for almost 13 years and I'm starting to want a little something of my own now that the girls are getting a bit older. Maybe something part time. I just  don't know what I want to be when I grow up, lol. Where does a home schooling vegan mom fit in, lol? I know I will just be myself whereever I end up, but I want to feel like I can be me at whatever it is I decide to do. I would really like to work a few days a week.  

Are you working at all right now? My daughter has a babysitting job 2 days a week for neighbors across the street. She is at choir practise right now and my 6 year old is napping. She has a nasty cold.

My hubby works full time at a University near by (ironic I know). It's nice though because if the girls do decide they want to go to University, it will be free as long as they pass. If they fail, we have to pay. Talk about pressure, lol. I would really be nagging them, lol.

I will have to think about the party thing, but I think it may be a good idea. We have other families that we could invite and we have a pool, so we could have a pool party. Maybe I could have an outdoor party and do something special in the way of getting a local band? I have no idea how to go around that, but could find out. I could also invite that boy she likes. I don't mind that when it's a supervised thing. Maybe you coudl give me some tips on what to do at the party to entertain teens? I don't want to do something I think will be cool and it ends up being embarassing for her. I know I want something to do with music. Maybe a kareoke (spelling?) thing would be cool. What if it rains though? hmmmm, will have to think about all this. I'm excited!!!!

Thanks for the comment, and making a difference is what I am aiming for. I know exactly what you are talking about, even in psychology I see that almost all of them are the same, they train them to be robots. I hope to overcome that and try and be the best I can be. I've still got so much to learn and many more experiences to come by that will help me with that goal.

About the group home idea, I've got a group home right across the street from me and they all seem like themselves over there. Every time I look across the street I see the adults over there smoking and I think to myself, what a great influence on those kids. Almost every kid that is over there is because of bad behavior in foster homes and nobody wanted them. Hehe, wow, you really do have a strong opinion about school don't you? That's fine though because I do too, I notice any time it's mentioned I get a bit of anger in me and go off.

You'll fit in somewhere, there are many things to do, but not much without a college degree. Just follow what you'll love, you'll fit in perfectly. My mom is already talking about doing something on the side as well, but my youngest brother isn't even in school yet, lol; I'm sure she's talking about when he's older.

I am not currently working at the moment. I'm planning on taking my highschool equivilancy test when I turn 16 so I can get a full time job with whoever's insurance will cover someone under 18. A couple of years ago, I made a promise to myself that I will NOT work fast food or in any little gas staions. I guess I know I can do better than that.  I figure I will start saving for college after I get my job; I'll go to our local community college for psychology and transfer out to a better college after attending as many years as I can.

About the university plan, that's great. I'm sure your daughters will pass if they understand that if they do not, there will be a PRICE.  lol 

Well, a pool party is always fun and throwing in a band is even better. If you know of any local bands in that area that your daughter likes, see if they have a myspace; you can talk to them on there and book it at your house. I would love a karaoke type party, that would be great if you know that many people would be participating. If your backyard is big enough, they rent out those giant shade type rain covers everywhere, you could get some of those     :p         Bah, you took all the good ideas, so I'll keep my mind active this weekend   ;-)

Well, just to let you know, I will be going camping for the weekend and won't reply until Sunday evening. My family and my friend's family go out about every two weekends to ride dirt bikes, it's quite fun, it's a great get away. 

Thanks for keeping up a conversation, if you want to conversate over the phone some time let me know. I'll just leave my cell number, I'm sure too many people won't call....
So many people online have my number that call on a daily basis just to talk, I don't have a problem with it though because they are all in their late 20s.  :p
661-487-4588

-Angela

clownvixen@hotmail.com

May 12, 2007, 12:07 pm CDT

Angela

Thanks for the comment, and making a difference is what I am aiming for. I know exactly what you are talking about, even in psychology I see that almost all of them are the same, they train them to be robots. I hope to overcome that and try and be the best I can be. I've still got so much to learn and many more experiences to come by that will help me with that goal.

About the group home idea, I've got a group home right across the street from me and they all seem like themselves over there. Every time I look across the street I see the adults over there smoking and I think to myself, what a great influence on those kids. Almost every kid that is over there is because of bad behavior in foster homes and nobody wanted them. Hehe, wow, you really do have a strong opinion about school don't you? That's fine though because I do too, I notice any time it's mentioned I get a bit of anger in me and go off.

You'll fit in somewhere, there are many things to do, but not much without a college degree. Just follow what you'll love, you'll fit in perfectly. My mom is already talking about doing something on the side as well, but my youngest brother isn't even in school yet, lol; I'm sure she's talking about when he's older.

I am not currently working at the moment. I'm planning on taking my highschool equivilancy test when I turn 16 so I can get a full time job with whoever's insurance will cover someone under 18. A couple of years ago, I made a promise to myself that I will NOT work fast food or in any little gas staions. I guess I know I can do better than that.  I figure I will start saving for college after I get my job; I'll go to our local community college for psychology and transfer out to a better college after attending as many years as I can.

About the university plan, that's great. I'm sure your daughters will pass if they understand that if they do not, there will be a PRICE.  lol 

Well, a pool party is always fun and throwing in a band is even better. If you know of any local bands in that area that your daughter likes, see if they have a myspace; you can talk to them on there and book it at your house. I would love a karaoke type party, that would be great if you know that many people would be participating. If your backyard is big enough, they rent out those giant shade type rain covers everywhere, you could get some of those     :p         Bah, you took all the good ideas, so I'll keep my mind active this weekend   ;-)

Well, just to let you know, I will be going camping for the weekend and won't reply until Sunday evening. My family and my friend's family go out about every two weekends to ride dirt bikes, it's quite fun, it's a great get away. 

Thanks for keeping up a conversation, if you want to conversate over the phone some time let me know. I'll just leave my cell number, I'm sure too many people won't call....
So many people online have my number that call on a daily basis just to talk, I don't have a problem with it though because they are all in their late 20s.  :p
661-487-4588

-Angela

clownvixen@hotmail.com

Have a great time camping! I loved camping at your age. Now, it's just all work, lol.

Sherriylnn

May 16, 2007, 12:53 pm CDT

Sherriylnn

Have a great time camping! I loved camping at your age. Now, it's just all work, lol.

Sherriylnn

Hello again, I'm finally back online. I've been a bit busy since I've returned home on Sunday.
Anything exciting happen recently?

May 17, 2007, 3:43 pm CDT

Angela

Hello again, I'm finally back online. I've been a bit busy since I've returned home on Sunday.
Anything exciting happen recently?

I have been really busy myself. This time of year is quite busy, now that I have outside work to do as well as inside. We have been doing some outdoor renovations. Hard work to do it ourselves, but so much more rewarding and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I had to take my 6 year old to get cavities fillled, which broke my heart, but my hubby is great with that. I get so emotional and stressed. He held her hand and talked to her the whole time. He is awesome. My picture I have on here is a tattoo he got on his arm of me for Valentines day. He is a real sweetie. Not to say, he can't also drive me bananas from time to time, lol, but I'm positive I do the same to him.

Dana received your e-mail and wrote you back.

how was your camping trip? Do you have alot of friends?

Talk to you later,

Sherrilynn

Have you started that book yet???? I know it could be a great one!

May 18, 2007, 10:34 am CDT

Sherrilynn

I have been really busy myself. This time of year is quite busy, now that I have outside work to do as well as inside. We have been doing some outdoor renovations. Hard work to do it ourselves, but so much more rewarding and a heck of a lot cheaper.

I had to take my 6 year old to get cavities fillled, which broke my heart, but my hubby is great with that. I get so emotional and stressed. He held her hand and talked to her the whole time. He is awesome. My picture I have on here is a tattoo he got on his arm of me for Valentines day. He is a real sweetie. Not to say, he can't also drive me bananas from time to time, lol, but I'm positive I do the same to him.

Dana received your e-mail and wrote you back.

how was your camping trip? Do you have alot of friends?

Talk to you later,

Sherrilynn

Have you started that book yet???? I know it could be a great one!

Wow, you have been quite busy. We mostly do everything ourselves as well, it is nice to look at something and feel proud. Yeah, I still hate the dentist   :p       I know in the future I wouldn't be able to watch my six year old in that chair either. Your husband sounds like a great man, that was sweet of him to get a tatoo of you. Hehe, I'm sure everyone drives eachother crazy in relationships, but hey, that only makes a relationship more exciting.

My camping trip was great, I had alot of fun. I have too many friends, but only a couple of true friends. I grew up mostly around boys, so that's mostly who's left. I've known one kid for 15 years now, and another for about 11 years. We all get along and it's great. I did have a close friend that is moving to Washinton today, at least we convinced him to stay one more week and it looks like the week is already gone.

Hehe, I have pages and pages of some of my past experiences and thoughts. I suppose if I put it all together in an organized way it would be a huge start. I do want to go to the Convelesant home and start getting biographies before it's too late and the ones over there are forgotten. I've been asked so many times to gather up information to write a short book on someone's life. I will start that as a side project.

Well, thanks for the reply, hope to read more from you.

-Angela

July 13, 2007, 2:37 pm CDT

12 year old homeschooled son is so shy

I am have been homeschooling my two boyz since the were in K.  One is ADD and the other dyslexic - both things run strong in our families.  Both boyz at home are very talkative, funny, very close to us, open, not the least bit hesitant about anything.  Both have grown up going to soccer year round since they were five and they go to Sunday School.  My youngest I would say is pretty social overall, he can make a friend pretty easy...not afraid of meeting someone new, or going to something new.  Within a few days, he has a friend or two - he's 9yrs. old.  My oldest however, tends to be very shy around people he doesn't know.  As long as he knows them and we are at home, he is his normal cut-up self...but every soccer season and anything new, he has a very hard time meeting new people.  He's quiet, head down a lot, shoulders forward...not at all like at home.  I am looking for ideas to get him to be more outgoing and how he is at home.  He actually has a chance to be on a club soccer team, because he has excellent ball skills - they can just tell that he has a hard time interacting - especially with new trainers - and he doesn't like anyone he doesn't know in his 12 inch space - which I know I don't care for it either and neither does my husband.  I just want to get him to be more like himself around others, instead of what appears to be "withdrawn".  We have noticed it more lately - and we are wondering if his maturing quickly has something to do with it.  He is only 12, but already looks like he's 14 or so. He will actually be shaving here pretty soon and he is already 5'3", much taller than alot of his peers.  Any suggestions or ideas?

July 14, 2007, 11:09 am CDT

My opinion!

Quote From: onlygurlie

I am have been homeschooling my two boyz since the were in K.  One is ADD and the other dyslexic - both things run strong in our families.  Both boyz at home are very talkative, funny, very close to us, open, not the least bit hesitant about anything.  Both have grown up going to soccer year round since they were five and they go to Sunday School.  My youngest I would say is pretty social overall, he can make a friend pretty easy...not afraid of meeting someone new, or going to something new.  Within a few days, he has a friend or two - he's 9yrs. old.  My oldest however, tends to be very shy around people he doesn't know.  As long as he knows them and we are at home, he is his normal cut-up self...but every soccer season and anything new, he has a very hard time meeting new people.  He's quiet, head down a lot, shoulders forward...not at all like at home.  I am looking for ideas to get him to be more outgoing and how he is at home.  He actually has a chance to be on a club soccer team, because he has excellent ball skills - they can just tell that he has a hard time interacting - especially with new trainers - and he doesn't like anyone he doesn't know in his 12 inch space - which I know I don't care for it either and neither does my husband.  I just want to get him to be more like himself around others, instead of what appears to be "withdrawn".  We have noticed it more lately - and we are wondering if his maturing quickly has something to do with it.  He is only 12, but already looks like he's 14 or so. He will actually be shaving here pretty soon and he is already 5'3", much taller than alot of his peers.  Any suggestions or ideas?

I can what a wonderful,caring, loving parent you are and as parents we worry about so much because a good parent wants the very best for their children. I have a 13 year old who is not very social at all. At this time, she has friends that she wants to hang around and she sticks to home alot. I have tried many things and I think I just made it worse in my relationship with her when I was trying things because I was doing what she didn't want me to. One day I decided to just let her be and she would find her own way.

Your son is at the age of puberty and that is not an easy time. So many changes, inside and out. My suggestion would be to let him know that you are open to anything he wants to try and then let him come to you.

I also have a 6 year old who is VERY social and just loves being around people, yet she is still not a joiner of things either. I put her in sparks last year and within a month she wanted to stop going. We have a Y.M.C.A just down the road from us and I just let the girls know that I will take them if they want to go and then leave it up to them.

They are enjoying the summer right now and are happy.

nice chatting with you,

Sherri (unschooler)

September 12, 2007, 5:01 pm CDT

Homeschooling

I'm 17 and have been homeschooled my whole life. honesty...... I love it!! you have much more time on your hands, you finsih much earlier the public schools and you aren't restricted to certain areas of study..... In my case I pick (besides that of what the state requires) what I want to do..... Physics, science...... engineering...... How to build a nuclear reactor (to bad it costs so much)=)

First | Prev | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next | Last