Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 18, 2006, 5:32 pm CST

Parental involvement!

Just because you want to be involved in your childs school life, does not mean that your child will do well in that environment. I was very involved and that didn't happenn at all. They are still subjected to many negative things are you can't be there all the time to supervise them, or to supervise the teachers because all teachers are not wonderful at all. Some are, but certainly not even close to all.  

Sherri 

January 18, 2006, 6:59 pm CST

Amy

I just have to say that I disagree totally with your last (PS) paragraph..   

I went to school in Nova Scotia, Canada and my DD went to school in Welland, Ontario and there was more going on then name calling. Are children really that resilient, or do we just see more of the trauma when they are older and they have more control of there lives. How many children do you think stand up for themselves and have their own voice that they feel they can use without consequences? I think the term "Kids are resilient" was a term brought about by adults to make them feel better about the wrong choices they make or things they do to their children, to make the adult feel better. For instance, is it ok to move your children 10 times in their childhood and have them in so many different schools because the parent’s choice is to move? That parent could say, "Children are resilient". That could be an excuse for many things, that's just one example. Again, this is just another opinion.   

sherri  

January 19, 2006, 9:10 am CST

Still a sensitive subject

Ok I think by reading the last few messages I have the answer to a question I asked.. Homeschooling or public schooling is still a sensitive subject. But give us all a big pat on the back for the one thing we have in common. We are all wanting to do the best for our children. They win no matter what with parents that care that much!

January 19, 2006, 9:36 am CST

Homeschooling

Quote From: luna831

Ok I think by reading the last few messages I have the answer to a question I asked.. Homeschooling or public schooling is still a sensitive subject. But give us all a big pat on the back for the one thing we have in common. We are all wanting to do the best for our children. They win no matter what with parents that care that much!
I agree, I do believe we all want the best for our children, and when parents really care and consider their options as well as are involved in their kids lives in a positive way, then I think those are the kids who are going to be successful.

January 19, 2006, 11:53 am CST

ok, let's try it again LOL

Quote From: jettav

testing...testing............ok, here goes, ok, i pressed the enter button
testing once again I pressed it twice this time

January 19, 2006, 11:55 am CST

And it didn't work

testing once again I pressed it twice this time
ok, so I'm not smarted then the computer................. any way, this is why, if you have noticed that I started using..................(the dots) to seperate paragraphs, ideas and such............eventually, I will out smart this thing.............LOL

January 19, 2006, 1:29 pm CST

Amy

Quote From: luna831

I agree 100% with you in this regard. Even though I don't agree with you in other areas, I am glad you and I are here sharing different opinions. Being a good, caring, loving parent is #1, bottom line. Learning is everywhere! 

Sherri 

January 19, 2006, 1:42 pm CST

Man, am I the only one here that can't figure out the spacing

ok,blah blah blah I hit the enter button three times let's see what happens
Maybe, I need to go exercise my brain......Do you think CURVES will help me there as well................. blah blah blah I hit the enter button FOUR times this time

January 19, 2006, 1:44 pm CST

Testing

Maybe, I need to go exercise my brain......Do you think CURVES will help me there as well................. blah blah blah I hit the enter button FOUR times this time
Ok, here goes again. I have an idea.

January 19, 2006, 1:45 pm CST

Homeschooling

Ok, here goes again. I have an idea.
ok, didn't work! I pressed the preview button then posted. oh well.........Any monitors out there??!!!!!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | Next | Last