Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

January 19, 2006, 1:45 pm CST

Public schools

Quote From: jettav

As I said, I realize that there are some good schools out there but I have no desire to send my kids to public...............Of course I cannot speak for all privatre schools but the schools here that we are considereing are smaller in class size, which I think has it's advantages. I don't care how good a teacher is, the bigger, the class, the harder it is to manage and with all the disorders, behaviors, personalities and learning levels of the kids, there is no way, a teacher can manage that whole class her self and meet each and every child. I personally think the schools need to go by a "pace" system which is what the Montessory (spell?) schools do, some kids seem to get left behind while others are flying by.....I think dress codes now days should be in, because kids who don't have the "proper" (in style) clothing gets made fun of, and for those who may not be able to afford it, there should be a way to help with the uniforms as the school that my daughter would be attending has something in place there. More violence (school shootings) and drugs are in the public school system and the private has stricter (good) rules then the public, I know kids who are scared to go to school because of "cliques", and violence. Disciplining a child is "almost" a thing in the past as parents will sue over every little thing. The school system in our area is one of the lowest ratings school and though they may be trying to make things better, they are not there at this point and test scores are low. and with the tutoring that I have done, and teaching at Church, 4th graders are only reading on a first grade level.............. Now, I know that parents need to take responsibility in these areas as well, but the schools basically only concentrate on the mandortory testing, not concentrating on the "needs" of the children............I am not saying that private schools have it all togetehr for any time you that you are working with groups of people/children, there are going to be problems but I do think that the private schools are safer when it comes to violence, sad to say, but the schools are not a safe zone for our children now days....When I was in school, yes kids fought and got into arguements, and even had a few riots, but the "shootings" are getting more popular and who for the most part are doing these things, it is usually the lonely, neglected, hurting, bullied kids..................How often do we hear of these things going on in the private schools?....I also real;ize that we don't hear everything going on in the schools whether public or private, but we do need to keep our eyes, and ears open and step up to the plate as parents. Also, teachers ( usually coaches, have sexually abused children, maybe not often, but as a parent, I am responsible to make the best decissions that I can for my kids and though every system/area is different and we all base our decissions on different things/reasonings, we must follow our hearts............I want my children to be in an environment that they are free to voice and talk about their beliefs and not feel alienated (?) because of their christian upbringing, I know a kid personally who was asked not to bring his Bible to school, all he was doing was reading it, at lunch time and waiting on the bus. persoanlly, I don't think it is no one elses business that he brings his Bible to church, only his own............If a teacher, even mentions God, he gets in trouble. they can't even have a personal conversation with a Bible believeing Christian student. Any one/thing who discourages God, I am not for.........I went to public and though I did good in school and was treated well, I would have liked the smaller setting better and I can tell already that my oldest especially is going to be the same way, she may be a spit in image of her daddy, but she has mommy's personality LOLLLLLLL

Jettav- You said pretty much everything I feel about public school. I do think if you are going to send your kids to school, that Montessori is an option worth looking into. I researched that before, but in the end I thought it was best for me to educate my own children. Who knows them better?  

I don't want to keep disagreeing with Amy at all and I can tell that she/you Amy are such a loving parent, but I think it's naive to say that MOST teachers are wonderful. I have not seen or heard the evidence to back that up. I think the wonderful teachers are the exception to the rule. I'm not referring to you as a bad teacher at all. I would not know what you were like as a teacher unless my child was in your classroom. 

Now from a teachers point of view in a public school, would you say that you agreed with all that goes on in a public school? Do you believe in testing? In grades? Do you believe that you could meet the needs of every child in your class? do you think children get lost in the system and fall behind. Do you think that the social skills in school are positive most of the time?  I would like your opinion on those issued out of curiousity.  

Sherri 

January 19, 2006, 7:11 pm CST

Amy

I apologize. I didn't realize that quote was from luna. I thought it was yours.  

I am really glad to have so much to talk about on here becuase I've been looking for some homeschoolers for awhile and this board had been pretty much inactive, except for the odd post. I'm sorry that I was getting so defensive, but I've have homeschooled for 1 year in Oct. and I have heard so many people talking about homeschooling and the negative affects it has on children because of the socialization and when I started to read that I reacted. I don't believe school makes children more social. I have been asked so many questions about homeschooling and I don't mind the kind questions, but I also get those nasty looks like I'm going to harm my child socially.  

My 11 year old also had panic attacks and anxiety. We had her tested for medical reasons, but found none. Then in the summer we noticed she had no anxiety, or panic attacks. All tummy pains were gone and she was so happy. This is why I chose to home school.  

My children are happier and healthier and I guess I was being too sensitive and I'm sorry. 

Here are my wonderful children whom I adore. 

Sherri 

January 19, 2006, 7:14 pm CST

Homeschooling

This is my children and I on New Years Eve building a snow man, hubby was taking the photo.

January 19, 2006, 7:16 pm CST

Homeschooling

These are the girls playing outside on a school day. I love that they are not sitting at a desk all day.  

January 20, 2006, 7:53 am CST

Continued

I had to cut my post short. Life was calling! Imagine that, lol.  

Dana has a paper route once a week and that has been great for her. She makes about $100 per month and puts half into a saving account. She is learning alot about money that way. She used to do a morning route 6 mornings a week and there was collecting involved and 2 days of flyers, but that proved to be too overwhelming for her. One day a week is great. 

She learned to sew this year and our neighbor who makes the most beautiful scarves showed us both how to knit them. That was fun and since she is a night owl, she can now read and do that at night because even this mom needs a break. Her bedtime is 9pm, but she can't sleep, so the rule is she goes to her room, but can stay up to read and knit until she gets tired.  

Mikayla (4) is my mini artist, lol. She can spend hours a day drawing, colouring and printing her letters and numbers. She is very social and attends the Y.M.C.A and had has playdates. She sleeps great and is in bed asleep at 8:30 which is great because I need a break. She still naps sometimes also. She is high energy, where Dana is quiet and passive. THey get along great, but can also butt heads at times, like all siblings. Dana loves to buy things for her and never buys a toy for herself without getting one for her sister. I'm really proud of her generousity.  

Do you teach anymore? I think you said you don't because you are at home with your son. Will you teach again when he gets older? 

I don't know what I'll do when my girls are grown. I'm so devoted to them, that I can lose track of what my own interests are. I like to exercise and we going swimming as a family once a week at the University where my husband works. Yes, it's kind of ironic that he works at a University. There are many perks to that. My girls can attend free if they choose to go to University, but the catch is, they must pass. If they fail, they have to pay. We get to attend some plays for free and we go swimming for free also.  

Well I'm off to be with the girls for the day and will check in tonight when it's mom time. 

Sherri 

January 21, 2006, 1:07 am CST

Homeschooling

Do you ever worry about the fact that no matter how good you do at home,  your children will still face the real world some day.  ADHD and these other disorders were not always recognized, and children grew up just the same.  I am a parent, and I often think that looking for a disorder is a way of avoiding what you don't  want to take responsibility for. I am no saint,  yet I am willing to accept  anger, emotional and other issues that my child has. It is something you deal with, not medicate. That being said,  There are

January 21, 2006, 6:56 am CST

Hello there!

Quote From: joceysmom

Do you ever worry about the fact that no matter how good you do at home,  your children will still face the real world some day.  ADHD and these other disorders were not always recognized, and children grew up just the same.  I am a parent, and I often think that looking for a disorder is a way of avoiding what you don't  want to take responsibility for. I am no saint,  yet I am willing to accept  anger, emotional and other issues that my child has. It is something you deal with, not medicate. That being said,  There are

I think I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure. I know quite a few parents who have their children in riddilin and a couple of them suggested this to me for my 4 year old because she is a high energy child. I was quite offended that a parent would suggest that to me for a child they don't know- my child. In this situtation, I agree that meds are abused these days. I know a parent who was very upset because the teacher suggested her daughter be put on riddilin. I know this child and she is a high energy child, but a wonderful happy child that I like very much. I don't think the teacher had the right to suggest medication at all because that is not her field of expertise. 

Now with that being said, we can't classify everyone into one group either. Children are individuals with different needs. As a home schooler I believe that each child had their own needs and I would apply that to ADHD as well.  

I have heard it said many times that we our parents will face the "real world". Well I wouldn't have it any other way, but they do need to be protected, don't you think? She we just let them wander with no guidance through their childhood and let them take their hard knocks without us to back them up? I want my children to know that I'm there soft place to fall and if they need me, I'm there.  

Could you elaborate more with what your trying to say, so we can understand where your coming from. Are you home schooling? There was nothing mentioned in your post about it.  

Sherri 

January 21, 2006, 7:04 am CST

Sorry

Quote From: danamikayl

I think I understand what you are saying, but I'm not sure. I know quite a few parents who have their children in riddilin and a couple of them suggested this to me for my 4 year old because she is a high energy child. I was quite offended that a parent would suggest that to me for a child they don't know- my child. In this situtation, I agree that meds are abused these days. I know a parent who was very upset because the teacher suggested her daughter be put on riddilin. I know this child and she is a high energy child, but a wonderful happy child that I like very much. I don't think the teacher had the right to suggest medication at all because that is not her field of expertise. 

Now with that being said, we can't classify everyone into one group either. Children are individuals with different needs. As a home schooler I believe that each child had their own needs and I would apply that to ADHD as well.  

I have heard it said many times that we our parents will face the "real world". Well I wouldn't have it any other way, but they do need to be protected, don't you think? She we just let them wander with no guidance through their childhood and let them take their hard knocks without us to back them up? I want my children to know that I'm there soft place to fall and if they need me, I'm there.  

Could you elaborate more with what your trying to say, so we can understand where your coming from. Are you home schooling? There was nothing mentioned in your post about it.  

Sherri 

I meant to say "I have heard it said many times that our children need to face the real world". I should really proof read what I type, lol, but sometimes I'm in rush and if you go over 20 min., you will lose your post, but you can avoid this by clicking preview and then edit, then you will have another 20 min. Also misspelled Ritalin. Still not sure, but this is what the spell checker said.  

Sherri 

January 21, 2006, 9:14 am CST

Homeschooling

Quote From: danamikayl

Sherri 

I am not homeschooling my daughter, she is only 4.  However my sister is homeschooling her children, so we discuss the things that they do  quite often. I also think that each child is an individual and should be treated as such.  I understand what you are saying about being a soft place to fall for our children, however,   We can't protect them from the world forever, we just have to equip them with the tools they need to succeed in life.  When my daughter has an issue with kids or teachers, or anything, I would like to have the opportunity to talk to her about it.  If she never has experiences as a child, how will she deal with these things when she is an adult and I am not always ther to discuss it.   

January 21, 2006, 10:17 am CST

Hi again!

Quote From: joceysmom

I am not homeschooling my daughter, she is only 4.  However my sister is homeschooling her children, so we discuss the things that they do  quite often. I also think that each child is an individual and should be treated as such.  I understand what you are saying about being a soft place to fall for our children, however,   We can't protect them from the world forever, we just have to equip them with the tools they need to succeed in life.  When my daughter has an issue with kids or teachers, or anything, I would like to have the opportunity to talk to her about it.  If she never has experiences as a child, how will she deal with these things when she is an adult and I am not always ther to discuss it.   

We aren't talking about protecting them from the world forever, but since you mentioned it, I will tell you what I think about that. I think I will do what ever I can to protect my child until the day I am no longer on the earth. I grew up with noone to protect me. I came from a disfunctional family and was in foster care. I can tell you the dangers of an unprotected child, but I don't wish to discuss that. I would prefer to stick to the topic of homeschooling.  

So if you are not homeschooling, what are you here to talk about? This is a home schooling forum. Are you here to tell us that we shouldn't protect our children? If you are, I don't think you'll find many people to chat with.  

You said that you are not always there to discuss things with your child. Well I make it my number 1 priority to be there to discuss anything with my child and if I wasn't there, I would certainly make sure someone was. How can a child take on a teacher (adult) if they are having issues and don't you want to make it clear to your child that she should and can discuss anything with you. You do not want her to feel as though you are not available. What if something serious happens and she feels that you are too busy for her. That happens alot in some families, that's why my kids come first and I would rather my children grow up in a safe protected environment, than an unprotected one. It's not the schools job to take care of your child, or to protect them, it's your job to be an involved parent.  

Even when your child leaves home, would you not be available to chat with her and give advice if she needs or wants it? Are we now preparing children to be out on their own at 4? 

So, was there something you wanted to discuss regarding homeschooling? Or you making a point that by home schooling we are protecting our children too much? I'm trying to understand where your coming from, but I need a little help here. 

Sherri  

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last