Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 20, 2005, 12:31 pm CDT

homeschooling

I just wanted to post to encourage everyone who is considering homeschool.  I was a substitute teacher part-time for 2 years & my oldest was in public school.  I really believed that this was best.  After-all, I knew most of his teachers, I worked there some, and I was a PTA officer.  However, after a while my eyes were opened to what was really going on.  The bullying, fighting, favoritism, etc.  was too much to bear.  When I was a happy volunteer at the school, I saw what they wanted me to see.  After becoming close with the administration, I saw that there were so many problems from unconcerned parents down to misappropriated funds.  I just couldn't see keeping my son in there any longer.  The thought of sending my precious little daughter to kindergarten there was horrifying. 

I came to looking into homeschool.  I got most of my information on the internet.  Then I found a local homeschooling group.  What a whole different world was opened up to me.  After gathering all of my information, I took it to my husband.  With a bit of hesitation we began on August 2, 2004.  My son doing 5th grade work and my daughter doing K.  After about a week, a sense of peace came over me & we have never been happier.  I know this is what our family is suppose to be doing right now.   

There are many different curricula to use.  My favorite catalogs for it are Rainbow Resource and Rod and Staff Publishers.  We tried a few different things last year, my favorite of those was Five in a Row.   This year we use Rod and Staff for my now 1st grader for Phonics, Reading & math.  My now 6th grader uses Rod and Staff Math, English & spelling and Pathway for Reading and we all do Apologia Astronomy together.  Also if you are studing something you can go out and actually explore, touch, taste, etc whatever it is instead of just reading about it. 

There is much more learning going on at our house now other than just academic.  My children are learning very important life skills.  My son knows how to balance a check book.  They both know how to do laundry, clean properly, and cook.  Most of all they are learning to take responsibility for their own actions.  There are many people in their 20's who cannot do some of that!   

There are many different books available on homeschooling and I would encourage you to check your local library.  One of my favorites is Life Skills For Kids by Christine Field.    Another good author is Charlotte Mason.  There are also many different websites and message board out there.   

My main point is if you want to homeschool, you probably can.  If you are willing to put in the time & effort.  I was told by some of my fellow school employees that I was crazy for trying this and that my children would have low test scores & be unsociable.  Well the opposite has happened.  Test scores are great and with our homeschool group he actually goes on more "field trips", park days, etc.    But, guess what.....many other of my fellow teachers (even ones that have been teaching for years) Congratulated me quietly and told me that they think homeschooling is wonderful.     

We also live on strictly one income now.  That can be hard for some, but I assure you, it is possible.   And we don't have a dumpy home or broken down cars.  We live on a machinists salary and with careful planning and budgeting it CAN be done.  We have lived like this for several years now and if we can do it, anyone can.   

Of course not all days are roses and sunshine, but most are!  If it's storming and cold outside I no longer have to go sit in my car with my shivering son waiting to get on an unheated bus.  We can just opt for school at the kitchen table with hot cocoa! 

October 20, 2005, 7:51 pm CDT

Homeschooling

Quote From: tynabsmom

I just wanted to post to encourage everyone who is considering homeschool.  I was a substitute teacher part-time for 2 years & my oldest was in public school.  I really believed that this was best.  After-all, I knew most of his teachers, I worked there some, and I was a PTA officer.  However, after a while my eyes were opened to what was really going on.  The bullying, fighting, favoritism, etc.  was too much to bear.  When I was a happy volunteer at the school, I saw what they wanted me to see.  After becoming close with the administration, I saw that there were so many problems from unconcerned parents down to misappropriated funds.  I just couldn't see keeping my son in there any longer.  The thought of sending my precious little daughter to kindergarten there was horrifying. 

I came to looking into homeschool.  I got most of my information on the internet.  Then I found a local homeschooling group.  What a whole different world was opened up to me.  After gathering all of my information, I took it to my husband.  With a bit of hesitation we began on August 2, 2004.  My son doing 5th grade work and my daughter doing K.  After about a week, a sense of peace came over me & we have never been happier.  I know this is what our family is suppose to be doing right now.   

There are many different curricula to use.  My favorite catalogs for it are Rainbow Resource and Rod and Staff Publishers.  We tried a few different things last year, my favorite of those was Five in a Row.   This year we use Rod and Staff for my now 1st grader for Phonics, Reading & math.  My now 6th grader uses Rod and Staff Math, English & spelling and Pathway for Reading and we all do Apologia Astronomy together.  Also if you are studing something you can go out and actually explore, touch, taste, etc whatever it is instead of just reading about it. 

There is much more learning going on at our house now other than just academic.  My children are learning very important life skills.  My son knows how to balance a check book.  They both know how to do laundry, clean properly, and cook.  Most of all they are learning to take responsibility for their own actions.  There are many people in their 20's who cannot do some of that!   

There are many different books available on homeschooling and I would encourage you to check your local library.  One of my favorites is Life Skills For Kids by Christine Field.    Another good author is Charlotte Mason.  There are also many different websites and message board out there.   

My main point is if you want to homeschool, you probably can.  If you are willing to put in the time & effort.  I was told by some of my fellow school employees that I was crazy for trying this and that my children would have low test scores & be unsociable.  Well the opposite has happened.  Test scores are great and with our homeschool group he actually goes on more "field trips", park days, etc.    But, guess what.....many other of my fellow teachers (even ones that have been teaching for years) Congratulated me quietly and told me that they think homeschooling is wonderful.     

We also live on strictly one income now.  That can be hard for some, but I assure you, it is possible.   And we don't have a dumpy home or broken down cars.  We live on a machinists salary and with careful planning and budgeting it CAN be done.  We have lived like this for several years now and if we can do it, anyone can.   

Of course not all days are roses and sunshine, but most are!  If it's storming and cold outside I no longer have to go sit in my car with my shivering son waiting to get on an unheated bus.  We can just opt for school at the kitchen table with hot cocoa! 

I agree with what you are saying, though my oldest is in preschool now and will probasbaly attend kindergarten at the private school she is in, we will probably home school, I told my daughter it will be noce not to have to go out in the freezing cold :). Home schoolers for the most part do just as good if not better then public school kids on the testings and even college, I know several families who have homeschooled and the kids are doing great. I agree that there are so many more options for the kids with home schooling

October 22, 2005, 1:26 pm CDT

Homeschooling for 8 years

We are in our 8th year of homeschooling and it is awesome.  I have three wonderful, well mannered, socially astute daughters (ages 12,8,5).  I am not dealing with a bunch of nonsense like peer pressure regarding boys, clothes, music, drugs, alcohol, bullying and have a wondefully peaceful home.  To top it off, I have done this while suffering from lupus, and though there are days I teach from bed, my oldest has consistently done well on standardized tests.  I encourage homeschooling parents to stick with it.  It has truly been a blessing, helped to strengthen our relationships with each other and shown the world that it can be done successfully.  My mom was totally against it in the beginning, but now she is one of our biggest supporters because she sees the difference and success of what we are doing with God's help.

October 25, 2005, 5:20 pm CDT

Homeschooling

I have been homeschooling my daughter now for going on the third year,she is 15 and in the 10th grade.We both love it.I would really love any advice I could get on the different kinds of circulum everyone uses.I have been using the same for the third year now but it is getting kinda old now.I hear alot of people say they make up their own please give me some suggestions on this.

October 28, 2005, 6:03 am CDT

Hello!

Quote From: dreamcycle

I have been homeschooling my daughter now for going on the third year,she is 15 and in the 10th grade.We both love it.I would really love any advice I could get on the different kinds of circulum everyone uses.I have been using the same for the third year now but it is getting kinda old now.I hear alot of people say they make up their own please give me some suggestions on this.

I also make up my own curriculum and would love to give you some ideas and I'd love to hear what you do as well. I will post some great links we use as well. I have 2 girls, ages 11 and 4 and we LOVE homescooling. I will be back in a bit to share some ideas and links.  

Sherri 

October 28, 2005, 6:13 am CDT

a link!

http://www.m-w.com/

Here is a link for a dictionary. Click on kids dictionary and they have a daily buzzword. They will email you a new word 365 days a year. It's a great way to expand vocabulary. I learn alot myself right beside my children. It's awesome!  

Sherri 

October 28, 2005, 6:14 am CDT

another great link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

This one is for an encyclopedia.  

October 28, 2005, 6:16 am CDT

Math!

http://www.funbrain.com/

Great math site! Fun!

October 28, 2005, 6:19 am CDT

Math!

http://www.funbrain.com/cgi-bin/cr.cgi?A1=s&A14=hard&country%5Bcan%5D.x=79&country%5Bcan%5D.y=28

one of my daughters favs.

October 28, 2005, 6:21 am CDT

Homeschooling

http://www.ontariohomeschool.org/

Even if you don't live in Ontario, this is a great homeschooling website for info. I get alot of book ideas there as well. 

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last