Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 10, 2008, 8:45 pm CDT

Homeschooling

Quote From: chameleona

Students who attend public school obviously do not learn how to deal with these occurences, or we wouldn't have school shootings. How many home schools have been shot up? None that i know of. And as for the personal adult consualing, even the good teachers are overworked and often unavaliable, and as for the psychologists and coulsours- don't make me laugh. My school officials consistently said that i "had violent tendencies" and needed counsualing just because i enjoy hypothetical situations. (Admittedly some of them were not proper for a school environment, but they didn't make me crazy.) As for being silly at lunch, you get punished. As for recess, it's been cut out for all but the youngest children. I am not sheltered, I am not less advantaged. In fact, I have more advantages, because now i am capable of doing things that correspond with what i already know. School staff is not very avaliable and involved, and teachers are not always equipped with the latest technologies. at the very least, equalized classes (where abilities are mixed) should be stopped in academic subjects.  While i respect your opinion, I don't think that what you say is true in all cases.... although i do not think it is false in all cases, either.
To some degree you are right, I've never heard of a homeschool shooting. On the other hand it what good would being homeschooled do if your child is constantly being watched by their parents. Us kids are humanbeings to and make bad choices as well as adults. I mean no one really wants to make bad chioces in front of their parents. Public schools help with dealing with issues OUTSIDE YOUR PARENTS NEST!  Let me put this as simple as possible ~ it really depends on how you raise your kids and how INDEPENDENT FROM THEIR PARENTS your kids are!  You can't keep them forever so hey why not start young?

September 9, 2008, 11:44 am CDT

How do i start?

Im a stay at home mom right now ..I have two beautiful boys ages 6 & 7.They have alot of attatchment problems ,seperation anxiety,they dont adapt well to change and they both do get ill quite frequently(lower immune systems).My oldest child has had a surgery every year for the past few years.

Right now my oldest is having alot of emotional distress with starting school,new class,new teacher,new kids,etc..

No matter how many times I try to quell his fears it never seems to last very long.He did great  in his previous years but for some reason this year is really causing him a great deal of grief.He begs for us to make his little brother *catch* up to him ,knowing its not possible for them to be in the same class.This year they are in the same school which is the only difference from last year.

I think homeschooling them would save us TONS of headaches and heartaches but i dont want to hinder their learning in any way either.

We live in Sparta,Wisconsin and any advice or things you could share with me about homeschooling would be fantastic because im at a loss.

October 30, 2008, 8:06 pm CDT

I home school

Quote From: chameleona

Students who attend public school obviously do not learn how to deal with these occurences, or we wouldn't have school shootings. How many home schools have been shot up? None that i know of. And as for the personal adult consualing, even the good teachers are overworked and often unavaliable, and as for the psychologists and coulsours- don't make me laugh. My school officials consistently said that i "had violent tendencies" and needed counsualing just because i enjoy hypothetical situations. (Admittedly some of them were not proper for a school environment, but they didn't make me crazy.) As for being silly at lunch, you get punished. As for recess, it's been cut out for all but the youngest children. I am not sheltered, I am not less advantaged. In fact, I have more advantages, because now i am capable of doing things that correspond with what i already know. School staff is not very avaliable and involved, and teachers are not always equipped with the latest technologies. at the very least, equalized classes (where abilities are mixed) should be stopped in academic subjects.  While i respect your opinion, I don't think that what you say is true in all cases.... although i do not think it is false in all cases, either.
I took my son out of school a year ago. My son has progressed dramatically. He has a lot of social deficits and other issues. It has worked well, but it is very draining. If you have a good support system and no job it probably work out. I put my son in soccer, we drive almost two hours on mondays for social skills, we do virtual school which can be very demanding and stressful. I have a daughter in public school which i'm very supportive of. I also work full time. I have found that i'm not going to be able to keep going like i'm going. I have found that without a very good support system which i donnot have, I am withering. I am in complete exaustion and recently trying to get him into a private school.  At homeschooling my son makes straight a b's and socially he is progressing but at the same time it's wearing me down which is making me irritable and he's picking up on it and also getting stressed. Just alot to think about. I wish you luck. Just realize it's not as easy as it looks and requires a lot of work. Later

June 20, 2009, 2:10 pm CDT

:P

im 16 and i went to public school right after moving from maryland to north carolina. at public school, i failed one class. my mother sent me to christian private school ( im athiest ) and i failed completley  my first semester.

my mother decided to homeschool me, and becaue of her having to work, and take care of my other siblings, she never finished my 9th grade year.

now i am held back, in a loop when it comes to getting drivers ed because they go by grade, not age, so ill be getting my license late.

im not saying homeschooling is bad for all kids, but parents need to be able to devote the time to their kids.

Plus, for kids without a disability, it can hurt not help us. we are teenagers, and need to be able to develop these social skills with other people. now that im back in public school, im into many things i shouldnt be, and while im not trying to say that homeschooling is the reason, it certainly helped.

parents please think about what your child wants to do with their lives, and think about how homeschooling will affect them

First | Prev | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | Next Page | Last Page