Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 28, 2005, 6:35 am CDT

more websites for interested parents

www.starfall.com and www.iknowthat.com anda great game website www.bigideafun.com

October 28, 2005, 6:28 pm CDT

homeschooling websites

Jettav-I checked out the sites and saved them in favs. Thanks! 

Does anyone have anymore they want to share? 

Sherri 

October 28, 2005, 6:31 pm CDT

volunteer work!

We love to do volunteer work and I would love to hear any organizations that you guys have worked with and like. We have worked with. Family and childrens services, doing gift wrapping in the mall to raise money for kids. We worked with Easter seals and sold trinket socks in the mall to raise money for wheel chairs and we held a fundraiser party to raise food for the animal shelter. Dec. will be volunteer month for us and that will be our main focus, so I'm starting to search around now.  

Sherri 

October 28, 2005, 7:54 pm CDT

Hi Jettav

Quote From: jettav

I agree with what you are saying, though my oldest is in preschool now and will probasbaly attend kindergarten at the private school she is in, we will probably home school, I told my daughter it will be noce not to have to go out in the freezing cold :). Home schoolers for the most part do just as good if not better then public school kids on the testings and even college, I know several families who have homeschooled and the kids are doing great. I agree that there are so many more options for the kids with home schooling

I was just curious as to why you chose to send your dd to preschool. I remembered that you were talking about homeschooling months ago. I was just curious. 

Do you have to have your child tested where you live? We don't have to here and I was just wondering how you test them with goverment testing when you are not following a goverment curriculum? Maybe some of you are doing the goverment curriculum. I would love to know different opinions. 

Sherri 

October 28, 2005, 8:13 pm CDT

I think that's awesome!

Quote From: unschools

LOL! Take a look at my rather unoriginal username. :) Hi from an unschooler in Canada. And that was great advice. Too many kids these days don't get a good foundation of joy to build their characters and lives on.
I've been reading alot on unschooling and have loved everything I read.

October 28, 2005, 8:56 pm CDT

Homeschooling

Quote From: danamikayl

I was just curious as to why you chose to send your dd to preschool. I remembered that you were talking about homeschooling months ago. I was just curious. 

Do you have to have your child tested where you live? We don't have to here and I was just wondering how you test them with goverment testing when you are not following a goverment curriculum? Maybe some of you are doing the goverment curriculum. I would love to know different opinions. 

Sherri 

My oldest is attending preschool basically "just becasue" LOL she was the only one in her class at church not attending preschool and she was always talking about it so I didn't see any harm in it, she is going to a christian school within our own denomination and it is only 7 1/2 hours a week. she does wonderful and of course knows everything that they have been working on, definetly ahead of her class already. Plus I wanted to see how she respeonded to the classroom setting (though I knew she would do well) and get her into the mode of schooling. Now, we do work onher academics and all here but she is so used to doing things her way and when she basically wants to when it comes to working on certain things and I have reminded her that once she starts school, she will have to do as the teacher tells her and follow a certain curriculum and all, so getting her in this atmosphere is basicall just preparing her for the school setting and it gives me a littl emore one on one with my youngest, she too is a smart little girl but a little more laid back when it comes to academics. Any way, I am still thinking about homeschooling which doesn't start til the age of 6 and in the first grade, they don't care too much about kindergarten as far as home schooling goes. I am not esactly sure how the testing works at this point but will be checking into that probably more next fall.

November 1, 2005, 4:37 pm CST

A wonderful book!

I went to my local library and took out a book on interlibrary loan. It's called, "The homeschooling book of Answers, the 101 Most Important Questions Answered by Homeschoolings Most respected Voices. The Author is Linda Dobson.  

Have any of you read it? I think it's a must read for homeschoolers. It's very imformative.  

I'm also on a waiting list for another book called, Dumbing us Down. Has anyone read that one yet? 

Sherri 

November 3, 2005, 4:28 am CST

Good morning!

Well here I go again! Time to get off my butt and get back in the game. Day 1.  

I'm off to work and I'll check in tomorrow and let you know how I made out on day 1. 

Where is everyone eh????? 

C-ya Troy 

November 3, 2005, 4:33 am CST

Homeschooling

Hi everyone, 

I'm so excited today to have my hunny bunny back in the game. Our house will be a much better environment.  

Well I'm off to get some things done and have breakfast. Be back later! 

My plan for today is to drink more water, not eat in the evening and beat Troy in our new challenge,lol. We are weighing in together on Nov.14 and the winner gets a full body massage from the loser. That's worth fighting for,lol!!!! 

Shirley-How are you liking the ww? Or is it too early to tell? 

Kathy-How are you doing with the ie? 

Sherri 

November 3, 2005, 4:38 am CST

oops!

To all you homeschoolers, please ignore the last 2 posts from hubby and I. We posted on the wrong board.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last