Message Boards

Topic : Homeschooling

Number of Replies: 374
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:17:37 pm
Author : dataimport
Do you prefer an alternative to traditional schooling? Share tips, advice, support, and chat with others that homeschool their children.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 9, 2008, 4:14 pm CDT

Links from Private and Public Schools.

Quote From: tlc2225

Anyone have any favorite books you'd like to post...along with the age range of the book???  I'm trying to find some new material - we're tapped.

Five in a Row series this is good until they are about 12 yrs old.  I found out the names of the local schools and checked out their links and we get a lot of fun things from all over the USA like this.  Check the internet, we search all the time and some times we are on there for hours learning so many things.  This is unschooling.  I have collected a lot of text book from local schools that we use and we get books from the teacher store.  Good Luck!  Tracy

March 10, 2008, 12:49 pm CDT

I will defend homeschooling to anyone including Dr. Phil

Quote From: asukavx

I took homeschooling up lightly, and it makes me feel better because now I am at home and not having to worry about anyone else distracting me or having the constant worry of being assaulted, or even killed. And I don't have to worry about my mental health either.

I pulled my son from school in the fourth grade for many reasons.  He has the right to a good education because he is gifted.  Because of his intelligence he was made fun of.  His teachers had too many students in one class and he was forced to stay on their educational level.  I also pulled him from school because God is not allowed in school.  I am so tired of certain people who think that their rights are being stomped on by having God in school because they don't believe.  So these people can go to court and say they are being discriminated against, so they take the rights of Christians away to please a small group of non-Christians.  I also do not want my son exposed to all of the sexual innuendos at school.  I believe that courting a person is a lost art.  I want him to know that he should and is expected to wait until marriage to give the most important gift to his wife.  It can only be given once.  I speak of this by experience.  I didn't wait.  Did I regret it, HELL YES!  I am a nurse and my son is informed of sexually transmitted diseases, condoms etc.  But....He also knows what I and God expect from him.  Anyone who has a problem with that.  Bring it on.

March 10, 2008, 4:15 pm CDT

Homeschooling

I homeschooled my 4 kids. I graduated my 22 yr. sons, 18 yr., and 17 yr. old children..I still have my 15 yr.

too graduate. I use SOS Alpha Omega with him...I have been homeschooling for 12 yrs... 

March 10, 2008, 4:24 pm CDT

Forgot to say

My 22 yr. old son has a well paying job..My 17 yr. daughter is doing well with her job..My 18 yr. son is

autistic and retarded. So, he doesn't work. However, the school and thearpists professionals said this child would never be potty train, talk, write his name, or learn to read..He is potty train, talks nonstop at times, and can read on about a 6th grade level....I feel he is still cabale of much more and will not put any limitations on him like the doctors and school professionals did...This child did work for a short time..However, he was teased(bully) at the job...The main person doing the bulyling was fired...My 18 yr. son is scared now to work because of the builly..However, in time I see him working a job with some supervision..

March 29, 2008, 12:11 am CDT

homeschooling/points acknowledged!

Quote From: wyett17

Homeschooling is a very personal decision, and is one that should not be taken lightly.  I shared your feelings for a long time, until my sister-in-law decided to homeschool all three of her children, staring in 1st grade.  I was concerned about the childrens' social well-being and opportunities for extracurricular activities.  Since she started doing this 7 years ago, I have been proven wrong over and over again.

It takes a very special parent to have the desire and will to dedicate their life to schooling their children.  It appears that the people you know of who failed were not cut out to do this in the first place.  There are endless opportunities for homeschooled children to participate in outside activities - the parents just need to be motivated enough to search them out.  My neices and nephew are all extremely involved in basketball, volleyball, church activities, piano lessons, just to name a few.  Plus, there are homeschool groups all over the country that provide opportunities for the students to meet for field trips, group learning classes, and several other activities.  Again, the parents need to take the initiative to seek them out.

I'm sure some homeschooled children do miss out on fun things in life, but publicly schooled children miss out on just as much when their parents don't provide them with experiences.  As for surviving in the real world after they graduate...do you think these kids have been living in a box for the past 18 years?!?!  If homeschooling is done right, they fit into society just as well, if not better, than other children.  Many, many Ivy League universities have a high percentage of homeschool graduates enrolled, look it up if you don't believe it. 

I have tossed around the idea of homeschooling my children, simply because I'm disgusted at what kids are exposed to in public schools.  I have decided that is not best for our family, because I personally don't think I could offer my children as many experiences as I would like them to have.  But, there are so many wonderful parents out there who are able to do this (I have met several), and I think they deserve the utmost applause!!! 

You should look into some successful homeschool stories rather than basing your opinion on two miserably failed attempts at it.  Hopefully you will be able to see the positive in homeschooling before you pass on your narrow-minded, completely false ideas to others!

First...Thank you!  You had some very excellent points, ideas!  Next, please know that I wasn't "bashing" any brave or capable individuals willing to take on such as serious "profession".  That is, what I believe homeschooling is...A profession.  No, I definitely do not believe these well cared for, loved and blessed children are "living in a box".  I do, however, as I stated, believe that it is a profession to be a parent who provides homeschooling.  So, are we as regular parents well-equipped enough to be their teachers without a teaching degree or a sort of experience as time spent as a student teacher, then a full teacher?  Also, I firmly agree that there is a terriblly large amount of disgusting and terrifying occurrances in any schools.  You did state, specifically, publc schools as to the above negative comments I agreed with.  However, it is not a "public school" issue - or even a promised lack of occurrance in any child's daily life for that matter.  Even if homeschooled, a child can fall prey to disgusting and terrifying occurrances as they leave the house.  I must state that I believe that the children who "go" to school have an advantage of at least seeing how to deal with these happenings.  Either by watching another student handle it or working through these issues on their own.  Also, never forget that shools have social workers, counselors, psychologists and many other personal adult contacts for help of any nature.  School staff is VERY available and involved.  Also, todays schools' teachers have been equipped with the latest teachings to them of how to treat and teach each child as if they were their only student.  Today's teachers are phenominally intuitive of each student's personalilty, social capabilities and processes as well as each student's educational ways of learning.  Today's classrom's and schools include very personal teachings.  But never forget they also include the daily "norms" that homeschooled children are never blessed with...The Pep Rally's.  The in-service educational visits.  The daily lunchtime with friends of their own age where they can just "vent" or cry if they need to.  Or lunch/recess time where they can be silly with their fellow classmates or friends.  There are field trips available to schools that are not as much available to homeschooled children - based on the size/"power" a true school is entilted to.  Again, I must strees the availability of the staff adults for these children.  Sometimes our children are having problems, or they have questions or issues they do not want to come to us parents - or CAN'T sometimes!!!  There are just as many terrible "things" happening in our own homes than many care to admit to! 

Anyway, I will again state that I was not condemning parents who choose homeschooling.  And, I did state that I, too, believed that these are very dedicated and special people.  I just want to stress that I believe that it is a much more detailed and serious issue to consider.  That one should not assume or predict that it is a better life for their child.  Okay, yes.  I do think these children are much more sheltered and less adventageous as they become adults.  No survey can truly prove otherwise.  I'm sorry.  Life will happen whether you want it to or not.  The better preparation we offer our children - yet offer and show that we are always ther for them - is the best gift, I sincerely believe.

March 29, 2008, 12:24 am CDT

Help, I hope

Quote From: sramca

If you have the internet then you have everything you need.  It can all start there.  When searching online, you can find something that might interest you or your children.  This is called unschooling.  Making your own curriculum combined with books that I purchased at a teachers store.  It works for us and my children are so happy.  It just takes time be patient.  My prayers are with your family. 

Tracy

As I first started reading of your situation I could not believe what your schools had told you!  Then I saw the end where you stated that you are in a rural area - not that that is the problem - but that you knew you had a terrible school district.  Well, beyond moving to a better scholl district or spend MORE money or countless hors driving to another school, I agree with Tracy from above message.  The internet IS there for us all!  It can be family friendly and educational.  Seek assistance from someone you feel really KNOWS what your children must learn at their ages/school levels to move on to the next grades and to be successful in life.  From the internet, also, you can find support groups in your "area" or even online support groups and seminars - to help you and to keep updated.  The one thing we do not know about you is how much time you have to spend with your kids (full-time working, etc.) or to involve yourself so much!  Just always remember that you can only do what you are physically and mentally capable of handling!  My thoughts are with you.  And, you have given me another reason to realize how fortunate I truly am in this life!  Take care and best wishes to you and your family!

April 17, 2008, 12:27 pm CDT

Homeschooling

My mother homeschooled me for my freshman year and plans to attempt it again next year. We are affiliated with a Christian homeschool umbrella but will switch to a Pagan homeschool umbrella next year. Does anyone know of any secular or Pagan curriculum choices? We plan to use Saxon math, and have a chemistry textbook, but we are looking for psychology and grammar for my sophomore year (or possibly spelling as well, since we both do well with out vocabulary and grammar but lack spelling ability). Thanks, everyone. Also, I would like to say that I was in public school for the first nine years of my schooling (kindergarten through eighth grade) and suffered years of boredom and "socialization". I agree that i need to interact with children my own age (sadly to my mother, I don't interact well with my age group, although i'm fine with older and younger) but I do not need to be abused five days a week by ridiculous students. i also do not need condescending teachers who think that i cannot be anywhere near as intelligent as i am because i am from Cocke County, Tennessee. Thanks, All.

April 17, 2008, 12:37 pm CDT

I disagree

Quote From: juliekope

First...Thank you!  You had some very excellent points, ideas!  Next, please know that I wasn't "bashing" any brave or capable individuals willing to take on such as serious "profession".  That is, what I believe homeschooling is...A profession.  No, I definitely do not believe these well cared for, loved and blessed children are "living in a box".  I do, however, as I stated, believe that it is a profession to be a parent who provides homeschooling.  So, are we as regular parents well-equipped enough to be their teachers without a teaching degree or a sort of experience as time spent as a student teacher, then a full teacher?  Also, I firmly agree that there is a terriblly large amount of disgusting and terrifying occurrances in any schools.  You did state, specifically, publc schools as to the above negative comments I agreed with.  However, it is not a "public school" issue - or even a promised lack of occurrance in any child's daily life for that matter.  Even if homeschooled, a child can fall prey to disgusting and terrifying occurrances as they leave the house.  I must state that I believe that the children who "go" to school have an advantage of at least seeing how to deal with these happenings.  Either by watching another student handle it or working through these issues on their own.  Also, never forget that shools have social workers, counselors, psychologists and many other personal adult contacts for help of any nature.  School staff is VERY available and involved.  Also, todays schools' teachers have been equipped with the latest teachings to them of how to treat and teach each child as if they were their only student.  Today's teachers are phenominally intuitive of each student's personalilty, social capabilities and processes as well as each student's educational ways of learning.  Today's classrom's and schools include very personal teachings.  But never forget they also include the daily "norms" that homeschooled children are never blessed with...The Pep Rally's.  The in-service educational visits.  The daily lunchtime with friends of their own age where they can just "vent" or cry if they need to.  Or lunch/recess time where they can be silly with their fellow classmates or friends.  There are field trips available to schools that are not as much available to homeschooled children - based on the size/"power" a true school is entilted to.  Again, I must strees the availability of the staff adults for these children.  Sometimes our children are having problems, or they have questions or issues they do not want to come to us parents - or CAN'T sometimes!!!  There are just as many terrible "things" happening in our own homes than many care to admit to! 

Anyway, I will again state that I was not condemning parents who choose homeschooling.  And, I did state that I, too, believed that these are very dedicated and special people.  I just want to stress that I believe that it is a much more detailed and serious issue to consider.  That one should not assume or predict that it is a better life for their child.  Okay, yes.  I do think these children are much more sheltered and less adventageous as they become adults.  No survey can truly prove otherwise.  I'm sorry.  Life will happen whether you want it to or not.  The better preparation we offer our children - yet offer and show that we are always ther for them - is the best gift, I sincerely believe.

Students who attend public school obviously do not learn how to deal with these occurences, or we wouldn't have school shootings. How many home schools have been shot up? None that i know of. And as for the personal adult consualing, even the good teachers are overworked and often unavaliable, and as for the psychologists and coulsours- don't make me laugh. My school officials consistently said that i "had violent tendencies" and needed counsualing just because i enjoy hypothetical situations. (Admittedly some of them were not proper for a school environment, but they didn't make me crazy.) As for being silly at lunch, you get punished. As for recess, it's been cut out for all but the youngest children. I am not sheltered, I am not less advantaged. In fact, I have more advantages, because now i am capable of doing things that correspond with what i already know. School staff is not very avaliable and involved, and teachers are not always equipped with the latest technologies. at the very least, equalized classes (where abilities are mixed) should be stopped in academic subjects.  While i respect your opinion, I don't think that what you say is true in all cases.... although i do not think it is false in all cases, either.

April 22, 2008, 8:37 pm CDT

I'm sorry for you...

Quote From: chameleona

Students who attend public school obviously do not learn how to deal with these occurences, or we wouldn't have school shootings. How many home schools have been shot up? None that i know of. And as for the personal adult consualing, even the good teachers are overworked and often unavaliable, and as for the psychologists and coulsours- don't make me laugh. My school officials consistently said that i "had violent tendencies" and needed counsualing just because i enjoy hypothetical situations. (Admittedly some of them were not proper for a school environment, but they didn't make me crazy.) As for being silly at lunch, you get punished. As for recess, it's been cut out for all but the youngest children. I am not sheltered, I am not less advantaged. In fact, I have more advantages, because now i am capable of doing things that correspond with what i already know. School staff is not very avaliable and involved, and teachers are not always equipped with the latest technologies. at the very least, equalized classes (where abilities are mixed) should be stopped in academic subjects.  While i respect your opinion, I don't think that what you say is true in all cases.... although i do not think it is false in all cases, either.
I am very sorry for upsetting anyone on this topic...Obviously I live in a much more fortunate and attentive school district area than any of you have been able to enjoy!  My 11 yr old son has had his share of issues relating to academic probs, ADD issues, learning issues, etc.  Our schools here have been on top of things and beyond accommodating and directly involved and helped in EVERY way imaginable!!!  These teachers and staff, including social workers, counselors, teachers and psychologists have been all over our needs!!!  I guess we are just so very blessed with these specific and attentive people that we are living a fantasy!  Thank God for them and for our fortunate situation!!!  Please leave me out of any further discussions/rebuttles since we seem to not be in an area that anyone can argue against.  Thank you and good luck to the rest of you!

May 21, 2008, 12:35 pm CDT

Homeschooling your kids

I believe that homeschooling can be a great alternative to public schools or the rather expensive private schools. However, it really depends on how it's done.  Kid's very much need to be socialized and to learn how to overcome social obstacles which can only be done when being immersed in social situations. There are many groups for parents who are interested in homeschooling there kids.  Toronto, Ontario has a homeschooling gym where parents can bring there kids to have social time with other kids.  This is a necessity for homeschooled children.  Also, parents have to be careful that having there kids around them so much isn't too much.  Parents do need time away from there kids, and vice versa...so be careful to make sure your kids get out of the house a lot and that the stresses of having them around all day isn't making you too stressed out.  One great benifit of homeschooling is that you have control over what your children are taught, however I believe that children need to know it's ok to learn about things that may not be something the family believes in (religiously, socially, interest and hobby wise, etc) so that they can learn about what is out there in the world and make their own educated choices. So be careful that you don't impart your own opinions to them without letting them know that they can learn about other peoples views as well.

First | Prev | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | Next | Last