Message Boards

Topic : Sleep Issues

Number of Replies: 119
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:21:39 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child afraid of monsters under the bed? Do you have a hard time getting them to stay in their bed at night or setting a regular bedtime? Do you have a bedwetter? Share advice and support with other parents of children with sleep issues.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2007, 8:23 am CST

sleep issues

my son is 2. he will be 3 in July. I still have to rock him to sleep and he still dosen't sleep all the way through the night. he is still in a baby bed because he can't climb out in the middle of the night. he wants a race car toddler bed. would that make him want to sleep in his own bed like a big boy? how can i make bed time fun and not a fight. what can I do to make him undrstand when to go to bed? he wants to sleep with me and his daddy (and lets face it) we are all three sort of bed hogs. how can we make him sleep on his own ? we need sleep!!!!

April 17, 2007, 8:37 am CDT

Sudden bedwetting

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know anything about sudden bedwetting for a preschool age child?  I know the automatic reaction would be that something traumatic or stressful has occured in the child's life, but neither of those are the case.  My son is almost 5, and had a REALLY difficult (because of stubborness) transition from diapers to big-boy underwear.  But, he did get it and has been potty trained since his 3rd bday.  No accidents through the night or anything - he'd even come wake me up at 3am sometimes to let me know he had just woken up and gone potty because he was so proud of himself.

Now all of a sudden, for the past 3 nights, he has wet his bed.  I know it could be something as simple as him taking in too much fluid too closely to his bedtime and not peeing before he gets in bed.  But, I'm just worried this might mean something more.  Any ideas?

We're going to really pay attention the next few nights and make sure we cut him off from liquids about 2 hrs before he goes to bed.  Then we'll make sure he wakes up to go pee before we go to bed and hopefully that will resolve the issue.  I'm just worried because we've NEVER had these kind of problems with him and it seems so sudden.

Any input would be great.  Thanks for listening.

May 4, 2007, 4:50 pm CDT

My Six Year Old still sleeps with me

I need some help or any suggestions about how to get my six year to sleep in his own bed.  I have tried reading to him for 30 to 45 minutes and I think he is asleep but I am mistaken he is still awake.  I have tried playing soft and soothing music after I read to him and that is not working.  I need time to clean house at night when he is asleep because I am a single parent and also a full time student and sometimes I need to study for school.

Can some one please give me some advice?

Thanks

June 4, 2007, 7:28 am CDT

3 year old wakes up every night

My three year old son has been getting up every night for the past three weeks and staying up for 2-3 hours at a time. I have tried everything to get him to go back to sleep, playing a CD, letting him keep the TV on with no sound, he has a night light and a lamp that stay on. I have to lock him in his room or he will get out and run all over the house and possibly get outside. I am at the end of my rope. When I don't let him keep the tv on he starts screaming at the top of his lungs and kicking his door and throwing things until he either gives up or I give in. I also have a 5 year old who needs to sleep. When my 3 year old gets up he isn't scared or crying, he is happy and wants to play until he is ready to go back to sleep. Can anyone tell me why he is doing this or how I can get him to start sleeping throught the night again?

June 4, 2007, 1:05 pm CDT

Sleep Issues

Quote From: jaimie1974

Because this has been going on for 3 weeks, it has become a pattern for your son. Do your two sons share a bedroom? Of course your five year old needs his sleep, but you ALL need your sleep.

Does your three year old have a nap during the day? If he does, consider that it might be time to either cut that nap down to make it shorter, or, cut it out altogether. It is more important that he sleep during the night, all night.

You say that he kicks his door and screams until he gives up or you give in. That is the key! Youve got to be consistent and not give in while he has his tantrum. He is going to do it, as you know, until he gives up or you give in. You need to be determined NOT to give in. If you do, this is going to get worse, and youll find that you will end up doing this every night for a long time. Choose a Friday night to begin to really buckle down and get consistent with your son. When he wakes, walk him back to bed, tuck him back in, tell him that it is time to sleep and you arent going to allow him to stay up. Do what it is that you normally do- when he begins throwing things, etc., go ahead and put him back in bed, tell him this is the last time Mommy is going to tuck him in, say love you, good night. Then, while he carries on his fit, you just have to wait for him to give up. If this wakes your other son, at least it isnt a school night. Your three year old is going to learn that mom means what she says. Right now, he knows that you dont really mean it- he knows that youll give in, or at least there is a really good chance that youll give in. Do this consistently every night and it should take less than five nights. I know that Im making this sound simple, and I know that it is NOT simple- being consistent is very difficult when everyone is tired- but you need to do this for the good sleeping health of everyone in your household. Best of luck!

Believe it or not in the past three weeks we have tried the things you have mentioned. I spent the first week letting him tantrum until he wore himself out. But he continues to do this. He does still nap ocassionally. We have tried cutting out the nap all together and he still gets up, we shortened the nap, he still gets up, we let him nap longer, he still gets up. I was being consistent with him until just two nights ago, each night I would take him back in his room and tell him it is time to sleep and as soon as I was out of the room he was crying and screaming and throwing things at the door. This would carry on for about and hour, then it got longer and longer, this kid can go forever!!!! He doesn't even go to sleep until 10:30, even though he is in bed by 8:30, then he gets up for about 2 hours each night, sleeps til 8:00 am then does it all over again the next night. He isn't tired or crabby thoughout the day.  I appreciate your ideas but I have exhausted them all!!!

June 7, 2007, 6:44 am CDT

I need some advice on how to get my 6 year old to sleep in his own bed

I really need some advice on how I can get my 6 year old to sleep in his own bed.  I have tried reading to him and when I think he is asleep I quietly leave his room, he wakes up screaming that his bed is broken I have had him help me tear his bed apart and shown him that his bed is not broken.  I have also tried while reading the 5 stories having on soft classical music and the same thing happens.

Can some one please give me some advice.

Thanks

A frustrated single mom

June 8, 2007, 3:35 am CDT

Sleep Issues

Quote From: pattimarie4969

I really need some advice on how I can get my 6 year old to sleep in his own bed.  I have tried reading to him and when I think he is asleep I quietly leave his room, he wakes up screaming that his bed is broken I have had him help me tear his bed apart and shown him that his bed is not broken.  I have also tried while reading the 5 stories having on soft classical music and the same thing happens.

Thanks

A frustrated single mom

you could put him to bed, read him a story, or whatever your ritual is at night, and then just sit in his room, and not talk or make any contact with him. no eye contact, no reaction on his actions, just no contact. every night move further away, untill you end up on the other side of the door, maybe at first you can leave the door open, and close it at the next step.

another thing you could try, although i don't know if it works, i just made it up just now, is taking his matrass, putting it on the floor in your room, and moving him further away every time. so at first he sleeps close to you, but not in your bed, and every time he moves further away, untill he finally ends up in his own bed.

hope it helps.

July 20, 2007, 6:49 am CDT

What I am currently doing to get my 6 yr old out of my bed

Quote From: pattimarie4969

Thanks

A frustrated single mom

We tried redoing her room, buying her a big girl bed, reading bed time stories, we tried sleeping with her, we tried leaving after she fell asleep, we tried it all.  But there is one thing that is working for us.  We made a reward chart, being rewarded for good behavior is my daughters currency.  The reward chart is a progressive 4 week plan.  For each day she sleeps in her own bed she gets a sticker on her chart and when she gets 7 stickers she gets a prize.  The first week its a very small prize ($5), but it can be anything she wants as long as its under $5.  Then the second week its ($10) and so on.  We are on our third week and she has done beautifully, no crying, no resistance, she wants her bed time story then says good night - love you.  Like I say we've tried everything but this is working.  I hope this helps.

August 6, 2007, 5:25 pm CDT

OK for Mom to Sleep with 11 Year Old Daughter?

Daughter (11) has been sleeping with Mom (44) since Dad moved out almost 2 years ago.  Mom doesn't see anything wrong with it, and daughter thinks it's fun.  Daughter has no issues sleeping in her own room (no trauma, fear, tantrums, etc.  sleeps in own bed at Dad's house - this is mother's issue). 

Is this screwed up?  It seems creepy to me, and Mom says "show me where/who says this isn't OK".  Can anyone provide sources of professional opinions?  Thanks in advance for any info. 

August 12, 2007, 1:53 pm CDT

Sleep Issues

Quote From: sabre32

Daughter (11) has been sleeping with Mom (44) since Dad moved out almost 2 years ago.  Mom doesn't see anything wrong with it, and daughter thinks it's fun.  Daughter has no issues sleeping in her own room (no trauma, fear, tantrums, etc.  sleeps in own bed at Dad's house - this is mother's issue). 

Is this screwed up?  It seems creepy to me, and Mom says "show me where/who says this isn't OK".  Can anyone provide sources of professional opinions?  Thanks in advance for any info. 
i don't know about professional opinions, but if both mom and daughter don't have a problem with co-sleeping, why should it be done differently? just because it seems creepy to someone who isn't used to it? i never did co-sleeping, but i feel that everyone should decide what works best for them, and should not be influenced by what people think is 'normal' (unless it's something abusive of course)

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last