Message Boards

Topic : Sleep Issues

Number of Replies: 119
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:21:39 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child afraid of monsters under the bed? Do you have a hard time getting them to stay in their bed at night or setting a regular bedtime? Do you have a bedwetter? Share advice and support with other parents of children with sleep issues.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 28, 2007, 9:44 pm CDT

8 years won't sleep in his bed.

My 8 year old won't sleep in his bed.  if he tries he is up in the middle of the night and goes into his grandmother room to sleep with her.  grandmother is not well and does not know he climbs in bed with her.  My son states it his way to take of his grandmother and when she goes to heaven he wants to remain close to her. 

I need helo any advice please email me.

thank you

August 29, 2007, 8:26 pm CDT

my 7 year old is afraid of everything

HELP! I am a mother of 3. All of my children have diferent personalities. My 7 year old son occupies much of my time due to his fears of bugs, dark, sleeping upstairs, his own room ect. i am finding my 5 year old daughter doing her own bath and putting herself to bed and much of the time falling asleep waiting for me. its so unfair. my 12 yr old daughter too. I am recently divorced and have moved residences, however this is not a new problem at all. I wonder if I am encouraging this because I feel like he has more fears and emotional needs than they do or if theres a way to handle this while meeting the needs of all 3 children and not losing my mind. I feel desperate and guilty right now for the things i said tonight. i lost it and told him he was killing me and that I was going to talk to his dad and see if hed feel safer living with him. i could never live with out my son. I adore him, and how hurtful of me to put a weight on his shoulders as if he has any control over how long I live. Please help me I am desperate.          

Normally, the best mom I know

Tonight, completely lost patience and sanity

August 30, 2007, 8:19 am CDT

Sleep Issues

Quote From: amandaber

HELP! I am a mother of 3. All of my children have diferent personalities. My 7 year old son occupies much of my time due to his fears of bugs, dark, sleeping upstairs, his own room ect. i am finding my 5 year old daughter doing her own bath and putting herself to bed and much of the time falling asleep waiting for me. its so unfair. my 12 yr old daughter too. I am recently divorced and have moved residences, however this is not a new problem at all. I wonder if I am encouraging this because I feel like he has more fears and emotional needs than they do or if theres a way to handle this while meeting the needs of all 3 children and not losing my mind. I feel desperate and guilty right now for the things i said tonight. i lost it and told him he was killing me and that I was going to talk to his dad and see if hed feel safer living with him. i could never live with out my son. I adore him, and how hurtful of me to put a weight on his shoulders as if he has any control over how long I live. Please help me I am desperate.          

Normally, the best mom I know

Tonight, completely lost patience and sanity

you probably allready have a small light in his room, if not, put it in there. i don't know if you have a music box for him, or a cd with calm music, but that sometimes helps kids too. my advice for a bed ritual is, first put your five year old in bath, and get her to bed with a story, or something you like to do with her, maybe talk with her about her day. while your doing that, you seven year old can play a bit downstairs, or whatever he wants, but he has to do something on his own, you have to make sure that it is time for your five year old ONLY, then put the seven year old in bath, put him to bed, read him a story too, or talk to him, and turn the cd or the music box on. explain to him, that you have to go do something in the house, and that you will be back in five minutes, and that he has to stay in bed. leave his night light on, and leave the cd on, but close the door. if he comes out, just say it is bed time, put him in bed, don't go into any discussions with him, and tell him that you will be back in whatever time there was left. if he does stay in bed, check on him, see how he is, and give him a kiss, or a hug, but don't talk to him, or do anything to make him active. if he is still awake, you can say i'll be back in five minutes. if this goes well, you can make it ten minutes the next week, and longer every time, untill he goes to bed normally. while your seven year old is in bed, you can of course spend time with your twelve year old, i think they will all appreciate their alone time with there mom in the evening. for his other fears just confront him with it. go catching bugs with him, and study them under a magnifying glass. and let him draw pictures of them. also get books for him about them, where they come from, what they eat, what there use is. maybe it's better to start with the books. but if you make it an object of study, instead of something creepy, he might be less afraid of them.

good luck with everything.

annemiek

September 29, 2007, 4:20 pm CDT

Amandaber

Sounds like you should bring your son to a therapist, it might help.

October 8, 2007, 10:52 am CDT

six year old afriad of the dark or deeper issue

I am a mother of a six year old little girl. she has been through alot in the past year, I have gotten remarried, I am expecting and her father is in Iraq. Here lately she is refusing to sleep in her own bed. I dont know what to do. I tried talking to her to find out what the problem is. She just cries and refuses to sleep in her own bed. My husband is wonderful with her and usually he can get her to talk to him but he is even is stumped. I also recently went back to work after having HG with my pregnancy. Does anyone have any advice for me? I just want to help my little girl cope with whatever is bothering her. Thanks

December 17, 2007, 2:48 pm CST

in same boat

Quote From: jaimie1974

First, forgive yourself for saying those hurtful words to your son; they came from desperation and exhaustion. It is important that you talk with your son about what you said, and that you apologize. Those hurtful words have enough power to affect his whole life, apologizing to him and talking about it ASAP is so important.
 It is also important that you find a way to give your other children the time and attention that they need and deserve, too.
My youngest child has also had irrational fears and phobias (as well as sleepwalking and very scary dreams.) ever since I can remember, and having to deal with those issues has taken away from my other children, also. The best thing I did was to seek help from a homeopathic Dr., and I suggest that you give it a try, also. The homeopathic Dr. was able to diagnose and treat her without drugs, the treatment is all-natural, and it has helped a lot. It hasnt totally taken away the phobias, etc., but it has helped so much! The other thing that helped a lot was taking my daughter to hypnotherapy. This was something I put off for a long time because of the cost- but when we had the extra money and were able to do it, I have never regretted it. (It was $100.) During the hypnotherapy, the professional made a CD for my child to listen to at night while she is falling to sleep. (I wonder if someone makes a generalized relaxation-type of CD for kids? You should google it and find out; it is worth the money!)
You said that you wonder if you are encouraging your childs behavior- it is possible that by providing him with extra attention, etc., that you are encouraging it- but it is understandable that you do this because you arent sure what else to do. You are only human- you dont have all of the answers.
My other advice to you is sit down with your children and tell them that from this day on, you are spending X amount of time with each them at bedtime, to be fair, and if they need extra time, you are willing to give it but they will have to wait until you are done with their siblings. Meaning your son will have to wait for you to come back after you read to your 5 year old and tuck her in. Other things that have helped us deal with my childs irrational fears/phobias are talking out all of the what ifs with her. Example, shell say, what if we have a thunder storm tonight while Im asleep? I will say, well, what if we do? How do you feel about it? she will say something like, Im worried and scared that thunder will wake me up. Me: if we have thunder tonight, and you wake up, you can come to my bed and wake me any time. And so on.
I wish you the best! One last piece of advice to you is this: the sooner you seek professional guidance, the better off you will all be. I wish you the best.
i also have three children same ages my seven year old son though is scared of the dark does not have a fear of bugs but he does expect a lot more attention and is very exhausting and draining do forgive your self though i am doing it with a partner and i that is hard enough but to do it on your own but to do it on your own must be terribly hard what i do when my partner is working late and have to get all the kids ready and of to bed myself ia get my olders to help with my middle child most time it works but you need to a friend who might be able to by giving you some time to yourself it does help

January 10, 2008, 5:26 pm CST

bedtime/naptime terror

My daughter, which is 2 1/2 cries and screams during sleep time . We have a routine at night, which we read in her room, and then she gets into her bed.  The minute I leave the room, she is at the door screaming and crying.  It goes on for at least 30 minutes unti my husband or I go into her room, and either sit with her or displine her by popping her leg.  What can we try that works!  For nap time too - the same thing happens.  And by the way, she is no longer in a crib b/c she was climbing out, she is in a toddler bed, and we have baby gates up so she can't come down the steps.

January 19, 2008, 5:35 pm CST

Mother having trouble putting daughter to bed!!!

I have a 2 1/2 daughter who has trouble going to sleep. We changed from a crib to a single bed three months ago and since then it's been...hard! When I put her to bed after her routine - bath - massage -lullabies - she gets up maybe 10 times in 1/2 hour! I go nuts! And during the night she wakes 2 to 3 times.

We tried many different methods: locking her door, ignoring her, warning her verbally and now (it's been a week) we're trying the passive method - bringing her back to bed without talking to her or even looking at her.

It worked fine for my husband! But not for me, why??? I went out one evening and she didn't wake once with her Dad. With me it's a WHOLE different story.

I work three days a week. She goes to daycare three days a week ( 9 to 3) and the rest of the time I spend it with her. I do plenty of activities: seeing my family, going to coffee places, parks, playing, etc. Her father works from home and doesn't spend a lot of time with her. He's mainly in front of his computer. He keeps telling me I should change my attitude towards her. So what should I change? What am I doing wrong? I need help.

January 31, 2008, 4:28 pm CST

Problems with 3 year old.

i am having a huge problem it has been going on for 2 years he does not sleep at all.  If he does it is not until 2:00 am or later it is almost like insomnia it is insane I have no idea what I am suppose to do anymore.

February 12, 2008, 5:23 pm CST

explosive bedtime behavior

I am in desperate need of help/advice etc. I am the mother of 3 beautiful girls; almost 4, 2 and 4 months. We're busy to say the least. The problem I have is my 4 year old daughter tends to have some of the explosive behaviors I've been reading about. The smallest things will set her off, for example; putting on her socks, if it is twisted, instead of trying once or twice she immediately explodes into this grunting/moaning/whining thing that escalates into screaming and crying. My husband and I are usually pretty calm and explain that she should take the sock off and try again. Immediately that suggestion is met with 'I can't...I just can't!" Often we'll walk away and let her be frustrated. She will most times continue with her loud frustrations, but will end up putting on her own sock.

The bigger problem is bedtime. Since she was born she has had difficulty self-soothing, waking every 45 minutes to 2 hours as an infant and even beyond into toddlerhood. We have the exact same routine at the exact same time every night since she was 18 months old. She has dinner, bath, book and yogurt, prayers and bed. She's typically in bed by 7:00-7:30 at the latest. What happens is she will get up to go potty (AGAIN), but since she usually does go...we let her. Then after that she has been sneaking into her sister's room often waking her up. She is always ushered back to bed. She screams, kicks and cries at this point. We continue on down the hall in the living room and after a short period of time she's up again...this can occur up to 12-14-20 times a night all the time escalating into screaming from us, spankings, etc. (none of which have helped). She also wakes 8-10 times a night coming into our room to disturb us, disturbing the 2 year old sister, screaming and crying and carrying on all over again.

We've tried sticker charts for going to bed, stickers for staying in bed, taking her toys away, taking movies away, offering a dollar for each successful night so she can earn a new something. We've tried babygates to keep her from wandering at night (she climbs them), locking her door - extreme i know...but she kicks the door for hours at a time, even if i'm sitting outside the door.

Her diet mainly consists of fruits and vegetables and meat, no significant sugar, no caffeine, no soda or koolaid..etc.

Please help!! We're desperate. Her acting out is really hurting our relationship...we're mad, she's mad and it's just not much fun.

First | Prev | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last