Message Boards

Topic : Sleep Issues

Number of Replies: 119
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:21:39 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child afraid of monsters under the bed? Do you have a hard time getting them to stay in their bed at night or setting a regular bedtime? Do you have a bedwetter? Share advice and support with other parents of children with sleep issues.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 17, 2006, 7:36 pm CDT

Bedtime is a Nightmare

This is in regard to my 5 year old granddaughter.  She has a 1 year old brother who she loves, but resents the time that her parents need to give to her brother.  After getting her back into her own bed (the reason she wasn't in her own bed is another story), her parents take turns putting her to bed and reading books which worked for awhile.  She wants the parent to stay in bed with her until she falls asleep.  The parents explain to her that she is a big girl and doesn't need someone in bed with her until she falls asleep.  It has gotten so bad lately that she is calling out to them several times a night for one of them to come upstairs and sleep with her.  First, it was because there were bugs in her room.  Now she admits that she just wants one of her parents to sleep with her and she knows that will happen if she calls out to them enough.  In other words, she is working them.  The parents have thought of letting her cry but if she cries too hard, she vomits, not to mention the fact that she wakes her brother up.  Needless to say nobody is getting much sleep at night and she is falling asleep on the way to school.  HELP!!!!

June 20, 2006, 9:51 am CDT

KIDS WONT SLEEP AT NIGHT

I NEED SOME ADVICE I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL THINGS. I HAVE 3 KIDS THAT WONT GO TO BED AT NIGHT WE TRIYED SITTIN IN HALL TIL THEY WERE ASLEEP, WE HAVE GIVIN BATHES, WE HAVE READ BOOKS TO THEM AND I DONT NO WHAT ELSE TO DO. ALSO THEY WONT MIND THEY PUT HOLES IN THE WALLS AND WONT CLEAN THERE MESSES UP. PLEASE HELP

July 6, 2006, 2:06 pm CDT

Help I have a four year old who sleeps with us

I have four kids and they all have slept with us. I didn't have any problems with getting the other 3 out of our bed. But my last child we are having a hard time getting her out of our bed. When it first started out I was breast feeding and it was easier for me to feed her in our room to keep from waking up the other children. Well my husband would always so just keep her in here let her sleep with us. So I would have to get up as much and keep him up. Against my better judgement i went along with it. Now I regret it because I'm have a trerrible time tring to get her out of  our bed. She will be starting pre-k this year and I feel like she needs to be in her own bed or in the bed with her sister. I have tried everything I could think of to get her to sleep by herself or with her sister. But she will still whined up in my bed. I just don't now what to do Help me Please.  

July 19, 2006, 5:32 am CDT

Sleep problems

Quote From: angie79us

I NEED SOME ADVICE I HAVE TRIED SEVERAL THINGS. I HAVE 3 KIDS THAT WONT GO TO BED AT NIGHT WE TRIYED SITTIN IN HALL TIL THEY WERE ASLEEP, WE HAVE GIVIN BATHES, WE HAVE READ BOOKS TO THEM AND I DONT NO WHAT ELSE TO DO. ALSO THEY WONT MIND THEY PUT HOLES IN THE WALLS AND WONT CLEAN THERE MESSES UP. PLEASE HELP

I'm not sure about the dynmacs of your family. But sometimes children refuse to go to bed at night because at night is when they feel they can get the most attention from their parents. Parents...including myself...are busy people and if kids feel their not getting the attention they need...they will find a way to do it regardless of whether or not it's negative attention. This is not to say you are a bad parent in any way whatsoever...again I don't know the dynamics of your family. Children often express their needs through actions because they don't have the mature verbal skills to state what the problem is so they wind up acting out. I'm not sure how old your children are. 

When you say they put holes in the walls and don't mind...that tell me there might be some anger there in your children...do you have any idea why they might be angry? There's a lot I don't know about your family so I can only assume things as a result. 

What is the evening like in your family? How do your kids behave before bedtime?  

July 19, 2006, 5:37 am CDT

Sleep Problems

Quote From: missame98

I have four kids and they all have slept with us. I didn't have any problems with getting the other 3 out of our bed. But my last child we are having a hard time getting her out of our bed. When it first started out I was breast feeding and it was easier for me to feed her in our room to keep from waking up the other children. Well my husband would always so just keep her in here let her sleep with us. So I would have to get up as much and keep him up. Against my better judgement i went along with it. Now I regret it because I'm have a trerrible time tring to get her out of  our bed. She will be starting pre-k this year and I feel like she needs to be in her own bed or in the bed with her sister. I have tried everything I could think of to get her to sleep by herself or with her sister. But she will still whined up in my bed. I just don't now what to do Help me Please.  

It is very difficult to break the habit of having your children sleep with. Perhaps you could compromise so to speak though she doesn't understand what that is. 

Perhaps you could make a deal where she sleeps with you one night...and the other night she sleeps on her own and switch off that way. Maybe a ritual could be established...children love repetition and maybe a bath and reading time before sleeping alone might entice her. Find out what she might enjoy as a before bed ritual and maybe start doing that right before bedtime on the nights she sleeps alone. Maybe that will jump start her desire to sleep alone if she has something she really enjoys to look forward to. 

July 19, 2006, 6:04 am CDT

Sleep Problems

Quote From: mimiyoder

I have a seven year old daughter that has adhd and never has gone to sleep peacefully in a day in her life! I am at the end of my rope with her! She fights me until she cries her self to sleep! She is very demanding and very strong willed! Is there any hope for my peaceful nights?
If your daughter has been diagnosed with ADHD, the Dr. might have suggested medication...is she currently on any? I've suggested on this board a ritual at night that a child might enjoy, it could be a variety of things...something that might help her to calm down...reading, a bath, or both. I'm not sure what you've tried however. Has your Dr. helped you with any suggestions?

July 19, 2006, 6:07 am CDT

Any input/advice appreciated

Hi there.  

Lowdown is as follows:  

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years. He has a very sweet, bright and loving 8 year old. We have kept this little guy in the forefront of any and all plans and actions we've done-years after meeting, and getting the go-ahead from the wee one, I'm happy to say we're moving in as a family.  My boyfriend has little guy every other week, and he goes out of his way to make sure the little one is healthy, happy and well adjusted, especially in light of him and the little guy's Mom not being together. The little one has always crept into his Dad's bed at night and slept in there, and still does so with the two of us, which is totally fine-we would never take his comfort zones away from him in any shape or form. We're actually investing in a king size so that we can all fit-kind of tight right now! Anyways, my question is this-is it normal for an 8 year old to always sneak into their parent's bed in the middle of the night? I don't recollect doing this when I was young, but that's just me, and I'm not too sure if this is sort of like a security blanket type thing.  I'm on unfamiliar ground, and I love these two, so I want to get my head around this sort of stuff.  

Any input, information, anecdotes, insight-anything!-on this sort of thing would be most appreciated. Thanks!  

July 19, 2006, 7:19 am CDT

Sleep Problems

Quote From: swirl101

Hi there.  

Lowdown is as follows:  

My boyfriend and I have been together for 2 years. He has a very sweet, bright and loving 8 year old. We have kept this little guy in the forefront of any and all plans and actions we've done-years after meeting, and getting the go-ahead from the wee one, I'm happy to say we're moving in as a family.  My boyfriend has little guy every other week, and he goes out of his way to make sure the little one is healthy, happy and well adjusted, especially in light of him and the little guy's Mom not being together. The little one has always crept into his Dad's bed at night and slept in there, and still does so with the two of us, which is totally fine-we would never take his comfort zones away from him in any shape or form. We're actually investing in a king size so that we can all fit-kind of tight right now! Anyways, my question is this-is it normal for an 8 year old to always sneak into their parent's bed in the middle of the night? I don't recollect doing this when I was young, but that's just me, and I'm not too sure if this is sort of like a security blanket type thing.  I'm on unfamiliar ground, and I love these two, so I want to get my head around this sort of stuff.  

Any input, information, anecdotes, insight-anything!-on this sort of thing would be most appreciated. Thanks!  

Children need to learn to sleep on their own. It's an important form of independence and self-soothing that if not learned, could lead to problems later on. 

The child is getting old enough that it would be deemed inappropriate for him to continue sleeping in your bed. A slow process of removal might help. Maybe every other night he sleeps on his own, or you can start out slower than that. 

It's important to teach children self-care and self-soothing is a part of that which should start in infancy. Allowing this 8 year-old to sleep in your bed makes him dependent which again will lead to bigger problems later of him not being able to handle being alone. 

Your boyfriend needs to realize that it's time he sleep in his own bed...it's what's best for the child. Try finding a ritual his son might enjoy. Reading is usually a pretty good tool. Something he can look forward to before bedtime. 

July 19, 2006, 10:40 am CDT

Sleep Issues

Quote From: azuil1

Children need to learn to sleep on their own. It's an important form of independence and self-soothing that if not learned, could lead to problems later on. 

The child is getting old enough that it would be deemed inappropriate for him to continue sleeping in your bed. A slow process of removal might help. Maybe every other night he sleeps on his own, or you can start out slower than that. 

It's important to teach children self-care and self-soothing is a part of that which should start in infancy. Allowing this 8 year-old to sleep in your bed makes him dependent which again will lead to bigger problems later of him not being able to handle being alone. 

Your boyfriend needs to realize that it's time he sleep in his own bed...it's what's best for the child. Try finding a ritual his son might enjoy. Reading is usually a pretty good tool. Something he can look forward to before bedtime. 

THANK YOU. 

I'm sure after the moving/dust has settled, this will be the approach that'll be taken. 

July 19, 2006, 10:44 am CDT

T.V at 4 am??

I have a 2 1/2 year old daughter.  She cried to move from her crib to a toddler bed when she was 1.  So we did.  She won't go to sleep if she feels confined.  The problem is she doesn't seem to need alot of sleep.  She doesn't go to bed until 10 p.m.  She is going full speed ahead until then. But then she wakes up at about 4a.m and decides to go out to the living room to watch dragon tales or barney.  She comes quietly into our room and gets her father to go out with her. Sometimes they watch t.v for a couple of hours and then she goes back to sleep in her room.  I have asked her father not to do this with her , but she is his only child and he is very over-indulgent. He also says that when he tries to put her back in her bed, she waits until he leaves and gets up again, sometimes going out to the living room to play quietly with toys. This has become a big issue for us.  My husband works very hard and is now deprived of sleep. I have tried to be the one to get up with her, but she is not having any of that.  Other than this, my daughter is a wonderful well behaved child.(and my husband usually has good judgment). My husband has begun to sneak around and close my door behind him just so I won't get angry.  Any advice on how to handle the child and the father!!!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last