Message Boards

Topic : Sleep Issues

Number of Replies: 119
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:21:39 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child afraid of monsters under the bed? Do you have a hard time getting them to stay in their bed at night or setting a regular bedtime? Do you have a bedwetter? Share advice and support with other parents of children with sleep issues.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 18, 2005, 12:59 pm CST

Sleep Issues

Quote From: mahalo

My 2 year old was also getting out of bed several times (at nap time and night time).She had so many excuses it was rediculous. I was even to the point where I was ready to put her in the car , go for a ride until she fell asleep then take her in a put her in bed. I had second thoughts when gas prices went through the roof. A friend ask me if I had a bed time routine. I did have wind down time. Where for 1/2 an hour we would sit and watch a short winnie the pooh movie together. But, that didn't seem to be enough. My friend suggested a lullaby tape or cd to play for her. There are no words just soft music. It took a few nights of reminding her to go back to bed or tucking her in again to help her adjust to a new routine. i still have the wind down time before bed so that her mind and body are willing to accept it is time for bed.  I am relieved to say it works. The cd is about an hour long. I let the whole thing play even if she has fallen asleep. This helps herto have time to fall into a deeper sleep peacefully since she also suffered from night terrors and night mares. Good Luck hope this works for you.   

Thanks for the help.  We will try the cd thing tonight!

November 18, 2005, 3:27 pm CST

Find her currency

Quote From: jkmeyer98

Our daughter was climbing out of her crib, so we put her in a toddler bed shortly after she turned 2.  Since then, when we first put her to bed she gets up a few times for this or that, until we end up locking her in her room, which she doesn't like and neither do we.  Now she's progressed to waking up two or three times a night and wants to get in bed with us, which we don't want.  We are all sleep deprived and on the verge of getting sick.  Please offer me some advice so I don't have to use locking her in her room as a last resort.  It's something we don't want to do, but we have no idea what to do to get a good nights' sleep for everyone!   HELP!

My daughter is 3 1/2 and we have gone though this.  My daughter has all the excuses in the book, "I am hungry", "I need to go potty", "I need this or that" so first off we made a routine of making sure she got everything she needed before bed.  Then, we found her currency: a special teddy bear. And she is told, "If you get out of bed, special teddy sleeps with Mommy."  And we follow through.  Never make a statement you won't back up. 

Also, my husband is a 7 on 7 off shift worker.  So there were some tough transition times.  The biggest thing is getting her back into bed EVERY time.  If you give in just once you are doomed.  The first time she gets out, she get a hug and kiss and tucked back in.  But if she does it a second time or more, there is no talking at all, she gets put back to bed with nothing. 

Really the most important thing is to do the EXACT same thing every time, so your child knows exactly what will happen if she gets out of bed. 

Good luck. 

November 20, 2005, 8:16 pm CST

Hours of sleep

Remember, different people need different amounts of sleep. My sisters kids always slept a lot- took naps, went to bed at 7:30 got up at 7am. My daughter came home from the hospital and  never napped. 1 week old, and she was getting up at 5am with me and going to bed at 8pm- (I go to bed about midnight, 1am) My son also came home and while he took a nap on occasion, he has never taken a daily nap. They are now 2 and 4, they get up between 5-6am and go to bed around 9:30pm with no naps. These are active kids, outside for hours a day and although I wished they would watch an entire 1/2 hour tv show, they don't. The Dr said they just don;'t need as much sleep as other kids. Believe me, I wish they would sleep more but they don't, and getting all worked up about it isn;t going to make it better. As the pediatrician said "when they aren't sleeping, they are learning"

November 21, 2005, 6:57 am CST

Sleep Issues

Quote From: queentween

Remember, different people need different amounts of sleep. My sisters kids always slept a lot- took naps, went to bed at 7:30 got up at 7am. My daughter came home from the hospital and  never napped. 1 week old, and she was getting up at 5am with me and going to bed at 8pm- (I go to bed about midnight, 1am) My son also came home and while he took a nap on occasion, he has never taken a daily nap. They are now 2 and 4, they get up between 5-6am and go to bed around 9:30pm with no naps. These are active kids, outside for hours a day and although I wished they would watch an entire 1/2 hour tv show, they don't. The Dr said they just don;'t need as much sleep as other kids. Believe me, I wish they would sleep more but they don't, and getting all worked up about it isn;t going to make it better. As the pediatrician said "when they aren't sleeping, they are learning"
My children do not nap either for they are definetly night owls which of course it comes honestly. Without a nap, they go to bed at 10 and with a nap they will be up til at leat 1 in the morning. They sleep til 8 and are just as happy as can be. We do have a routine but the routine set has been set according to them, their bodies and I don't have problems with them going to bed, they will usually tell me when they are ready for bed which is a nice. I remember when my first was born, I THOUGHT she NEEDED to nap becasue it seemed that is what every one thinks, she did take naps when she was real young but as she grew older, sometimes it was a fight to get her to lay down and then one day, My eyes were opened and I realized, the child ISN"T tired so why should she have to sleep? So, as parents, we need to get to know our kids and see what works for them and go with it, it sure does make life easier.

November 22, 2005, 6:47 pm CST

sleeping issues

my two keds sleep well a l went to a slep school to tesh me how to get them to slep better and it worked. i injoy them every day.

November 26, 2005, 8:21 am CST

never sleeps

I have a 31/2 boy. for about six months he never sleeps(so it seems). I do have a bed time routine. dinner at  5:30 pm, bath at 6:00pm, movie at  6:30- 7:30, and a bed story from 7:30-8:00pm.  He seems to go to bed without a problem , but at around mid-night he wakes up. He does't talk very well so i don't know what he wants when he comes out. I play the game of putting him back in bed from mid-night until aroud 3am. He never goes back to sleep. If i don't here him come out he tears everything out of the frige, floods the bathroom, goes outside, everything the is dangerous he does. I took him to the doc. and they put him on aderul( an adhd med.) it does't help at all. He never naps either. I work alot.  I have to get everyone up at 5:30am just to get out the door at 7:00am to start the day. I am not getting enough sleep to do well at my job, and i get  craby from the lack of sleep.  I cant countinue to sleep on the couch. How do i get this 3 yearold to sleep and stay aslpeep? I am at wits end.

November 26, 2005, 1:23 pm CST

Sleep Issues

Quote From: thumper23

I have a 31/2 boy. for about six months he never sleeps(so it seems). I do have a bed time routine. dinner at  5:30 pm, bath at 6:00pm, movie at  6:30- 7:30, and a bed story from 7:30-8:00pm.  He seems to go to bed without a problem , but at around mid-night he wakes up. He does't talk very well so i don't know what he wants when he comes out. I play the game of putting him back in bed from mid-night until aroud 3am. He never goes back to sleep. If i don't here him come out he tears everything out of the frige, floods the bathroom, goes outside, everything the is dangerous he does. I took him to the doc. and they put him on aderul( an adhd med.) it does't help at all. He never naps either. I work alot.  I have to get everyone up at 5:30am just to get out the door at 7:00am to start the day. I am not getting enough sleep to do well at my job, and i get  craby from the lack of sleep.  I cant countinue to sleep on the couch. How do i get this 3 yearold to sleep and stay aslpeep? I am at wits end.
Maybe try putting him to bed a little later and see what happens. I do not put my girls to bed before 9 or they will be up way earlier then need to. They are 2 and 4.

January 2, 2006, 8:45 pm CST

Re: Sleep Issues

Quote From: beauty22

I'm at my witts end with my eight year old!  I just have sooo much trouble getting him out of bed for school in the morning.It's just a huge fight,, every morning! ive tried getting him to bed earlier,and thats even harder to do. anyone with any advice?? please help..   

thank-you..frustrated in nanaimo bc 

What time is he going to bed? What time are you going to bed? Either there may be a reason he doesn't want to go to school (being picked on is usually the reason or being made fun of.) Or he has figured out just when you are asleep and knows when to get back up & turn on the TV until late hours of the night. Maybe he is listening to music with a head set or reading with a flashlight. What ever it is-he's certainly not going to tell you if you ask. You'll have to catch him at it. If it's a problem at school-when he talks to you or any one else-you'll have to read between the lines and try to pick up on little hints that he says without realizing what he's doing. He's at the right age for this problem. I have 3 grown kids & 6 grandkids & almost all of them have been through this. Remember-if you start asking questions-they won't tell and if they think you're being pushy-they will clam-up and you'll never find out!

January 5, 2006, 1:14 pm CST

Night Terrors

recently our 3 year old has been waking up crying uncontrollably. It doesn't seem to matter what we do to calm her, she will just scream then all at once she says she wants to go  back to sleep. I think that is what has caused her to start getting out of bed every night, ALOT.

January 11, 2006, 8:43 am CST

My 7yr old daugther won't sleep alone!

I have a 7yr old daugher who refuses and panics if she is asked to sleep alone.  A little history...Her father and I divorced when she was 1 yr old.  Since then and even before we divorced she has been attached to me.  She slept in my bed till she was 3.  I since moved in with this guy whom we've lived together for 4 years.  The first two years we lived with his parents (money issues on their side) so we shared a room but she had her own bed.  She would sleep with us, but as soon as she was sleep i would put her in her bed and sometime at night she would end up in mine sometimes.  We moved out two years ago, she has her own room but she refuses to sleep unless i sleep with her.  Sooo, i sleep with her but when she falls asleep i go to my bed, sure enough at least 5 times out of the week she ends up in our bed.  I usually end up going to my room after 12 sometimes after she is in a deep sleep.  This is causing problems in my current relationship because he is fed up with me sleeping in my daughters room and then going to my room like a zombie...But when i tell my daughter that she has to sleep by herself she panics badly, and if I tell her that i'll be there till she falls asleep she wont be able to sleep and she'll panic when i leave.  Please HELP!!!!! I feel alone at this, because he is not helping me solve the problem, and i dont think i do much to solve it because i seee the panic in her face and i dont know what to do.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last