Message Boards

Topic : Sleep Issues

Number of Replies: 119
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 01:21:39 pm
Author : dataimport
Is your child afraid of monsters under the bed? Do you have a hard time getting them to stay in their bed at night or setting a regular bedtime? Do you have a bedwetter? Share advice and support with other parents of children with sleep issues.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

March 8, 2006, 5:56 am CST

5 month old sleeps in 1-2 hour increments

My darling Katie falls asleep alright, sometimes by herself, sometimes with breast, sometimes with pacifier, sometimes crying (5-15 minutes). She doesn't have as much trouble going to sleep as she does staying asleep. She is regularly cantankerous at 7:00pm and I usually nurse her to help her become drowsy. If she falls asleep I place her in bed. If she is cantankerous (kicking) I place her in bed and let her cry. She is awake anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour and will awaken all night long either every 1-2 hours. Her pediatrician says to let her cry it out. If I do that all 5 of us will be up every 1-2 hours. I start her out in her own bed and for the sake of sleep nurse her in bed with me. Every time she wakes I switch sides and this is the best way for me and my household to get sleep. Even her dr. said that when he was training his daughter to "cry it out" he had to leave the house because he couldn't bare to hear the sadness. (I'll bet his wife did) When he said you could do that for up to an hour and a half I told him that sounded like a big bad time out. I will not let her cry past 15 minutes. I do not want a sad baby. I do not feel that letting her cry all night will teach her to sleep longer than 1-2 hours at a time. I think that's all she's naturally capable of doing. Can I die of not sleeping?

March 8, 2006, 11:01 am CST

Narcolepsy

My daughter has Narcolepsy with catalepsy. She is 14. We have tried meds and they have failed. Too many harsh side effects. We have been in counseling but she seems so hopeless about her life and future. She is afraid to laugh and has no close friends. She gets angry when we try to make her laugh because she feels we are doing it on purpose to see her fall down but its not true. I want to see her smile and laugh again. I dont know how to help her. Any advice would be great! I have looked and called around in Oregon for support groups and there are none!   

I cant stand hearing my daughter say she just wants to die. She says if she could kill herself and know she would still go to heaven she would. So maybe she will die in a car accident. She never buckles up either! I always have to say are you buckled? and she will say no. But then of course i make her. I want to help her but i just dont know how.  

Advice welcome!! 

March 8, 2006, 11:50 am CST

my 2 year old has never slept a night in his life

It wasn't until he was about 4 months old we started to think there was a problem. He would sleep for 3 hours without a sound then it would start he would wake up every half hour for a half hour just screaming, we tried feeding him and that wasn't it we tried holding him didn't help, we gave him tylenol thinking he had pain somewhere, we gave him gripe water still no help tried orajel on his gums still nothing. We tried changing the way he slept and nothing, we tried swaddling that was the only thing that help. But it took 15 minutes to settle him down. Basically from the time he was 4 months till 11 months we tried everything we could think of. At every doctors appt. we told them about his issue. Finally after months of me running on anywhere form 45 minutes to 2 hours of sleep a night,   they finally sent him to a pediatrician who gave him a strong antihistimne to help keep him asleep.  All it did was lesson the amount of times he would get up. Then a 6 months after that they took him off of it. And where still doing the same fight after 3 hours he starts getting up, not every half hour now about every hour and it could be a down right fight to get him to stay in bed and sleep. He kicks, screams, crys, yells, throws everything, and we end up loosing our cool and making things worse.We called the pediatrician and told him this was still going on and  that it was affecting everyone in the house especially me. And he told me it wasn't a medical issue.  My parents take our kids 1 night a week only because he doesn't sleep and there not use to it. I now only sleep 3 hours a night at most and I'm constantley yelling and frustrated. My 10 yr old and husband get the most of it.  I need help with this now or else we're going to try and medicate him ourselves. We've already tried giving him gravol and it isn't helping and  there isn't a antihistimine on the shelves for kids that we haven't tried and there no good. I'm sick of being told theres nothing that can be done about this.  There has to be something. 

And before anyone asks about the routine its very strict 8 pm sitting on the couch for wind down time 830pm is story in bed then lights out and off to sleep he goes. 

Help us get some sleep 

PLEASE 

ca 

March 8, 2006, 9:48 pm CST

Sleep Issues

My 4 year old son has been sleeping with my husband and I since he was a few weeks old.  My husband has always worked nights and I was nursing for a year so it was the only way I knew to get sleep.  We also lived with my in-laws for the first 9 months and then a 1 bedroom apt for another year, so he didn't have his own room until @ age2.  He does not start the night in our bed, but he wakes up in the middle of the night and comes in.  It's been going on for so long that we don't even know he's there sometimes. We wake up if he's NOT there as a matter of fact and we wonder if he is ok.  I don't mind him sleeping with us half the night, but I would like to get him sleeping all night before kindergarten (which won't be until he turns 6 due to the birhtday cutoff).  I am afraid that because I didn't know that I had to TEACH him to sleep on his own then, that he may take awhile to learn.  I know it's going to be very difficult and I wonder if I should wait or deal with it soon... 

The funny thing is we have a 14 month old who also slept with us half the night (because I would nurse her at night), but a few weeks after her 1st birthday, she got her 1st cold and lost her voice.  Since we couldn't hear her cry in the middle of the night, she learned to fall back to sleep on her own!!  When she got her voice back, I new better than to start bringing her to bed with me again.  That was the end of me nursing and the end of her sleeping in my bed... 

At least I've learned something. 

March 9, 2006, 10:25 pm CST

your son

Quote From: c_a_w_mom

It wasn't until he was about 4 months old we started to think there was a problem. He would sleep for 3 hours without a sound then it would start he would wake up every half hour for a half hour just screaming, we tried feeding him and that wasn't it we tried holding him didn't help, we gave him tylenol thinking he had pain somewhere, we gave him gripe water still no help tried orajel on his gums still nothing. We tried changing the way he slept and nothing, we tried swaddling that was the only thing that help. But it took 15 minutes to settle him down. Basically from the time he was 4 months till 11 months we tried everything we could think of. At every doctors appt. we told them about his issue. Finally after months of me running on anywhere form 45 minutes to 2 hours of sleep a night,   they finally sent him to a pediatrician who gave him a strong antihistimne to help keep him asleep.  All it did was lesson the amount of times he would get up. Then a 6 months after that they took him off of it. And where still doing the same fight after 3 hours he starts getting up, not every half hour now about every hour and it could be a down right fight to get him to stay in bed and sleep. He kicks, screams, crys, yells, throws everything, and we end up loosing our cool and making things worse.We called the pediatrician and told him this was still going on and  that it was affecting everyone in the house especially me. And he told me it wasn't a medical issue.  My parents take our kids 1 night a week only because he doesn't sleep and there not use to it. I now only sleep 3 hours a night at most and I'm constantley yelling and frustrated. My 10 yr old and husband get the most of it.  I need help with this now or else we're going to try and medicate him ourselves. We've already tried giving him gravol and it isn't helping and  there isn't a antihistimine on the shelves for kids that we haven't tried and there no good. I'm sick of being told theres nothing that can be done about this.  There has to be something. 

And before anyone asks about the routine its very strict 8 pm sitting on the couch for wind down time 830pm is story in bed then lights out and off to sleep he goes. 

Help us get some sleep 

PLEASE 

ca 

Have you thought about taking him to a sleep disorders clinic? 

You might find something there........ maybe he has sleep apena which causes him to wake up?  

March 15, 2006, 12:58 pm CST

my son

Quote From: creative6

Have you thought about taking him to a sleep disorders clinic? 

You might find something there........ maybe he has sleep apena which causes him to wake up?  

Unfortunately we can't take him to a sleep clinic without a doctors referal. We've asked and been told  there's no need, he's fine.   We're going for a fourth oppinion next week , hopefully they'll listen to us.
thanks anyway. Any other Ideas? I'm listening.
ca

March 22, 2006, 6:08 am CST

can't get my 4 year old out of bed to go to bathroom at night

Help! 

We successfully potty-trained my 4 year old son during daytime around Christmas time, but now we have a problem at night.  He NEVER gets out of bed on his own, not even when he wakes up in the morning!  He wakes up and stays in bed, talking to himself, or at the most he'll call out to me and once he hears me tell him to get up, he will.  Once he's in bed, he doesn't get up again until someone comes to get him, even though I have told him over and over that it's ok to get up, especially to go to the bathroom!  Even as a baby, he never once tried to climb out of his crib or anything!  I used to think I was lucky, but now it has become a problem because he won't get up to go to the bathroom at night, and he is such a sound sleeper that he sometimes even has a bm overnight and it does not wake him up!  Has anyone else ever experienced this problem?  If so, please share your wisdom;  I'm 37 weeks pregnant with our second child and want to know how to handle this for the second one before it becomes a problem like it is with our first! 

Thanks! 

April 8, 2006, 4:29 am CDT

Sleep Issues

I am a single mom of two kids aged two and almost seven. I am on my own and don't have partner at present. My six soon to be seven year old son won't sleep in his own room at all! I have had him in his own room for two weeks then his father took him to the home he shares with his girlfriend and her two kids. They left my son sleep out in the lounge alone and during the night the child awoke with a bad nightmare and he was so frightened that when he came home he would not let me out of his sight and i have never been able to convince him to sleep in his own room again he just screams and totally panics he needs a night lamp to sleep and when he is at his fathers home he sleeps with him. He has his bed in my room as does the two year old. I am so looking forward to the day that he mover into his own room but I am at a lose as to know how to convince him.  

April 9, 2006, 9:27 am CDT

sleeping and your child

My daughter has slept in her crib from the day we brought her home from the hospital. She slept for about 6 hours from the get go, and up until recently, she has been a gret sleeper. She has taken to coming into our bedroom and laying on the floor and going back to sleep. IF we notice she is in the room we tell her to go back to her bed, which she will and she will stay there for the remainder of the night. It doens't happen often, but we know what to do when it does happen. I REFUSE to be one of those parents who have a child sleeping into between them. It will ruin any marriage. Children need a sense of security and having them sleep in bed with you and your spouse doesn't help.

April 9, 2006, 9:31 am CDT

Sleep Issues

Quote From: bigboob

My darling Katie falls asleep alright, sometimes by herself, sometimes with breast, sometimes with pacifier, sometimes crying (5-15 minutes). She doesn't have as much trouble going to sleep as she does staying asleep. She is regularly cantankerous at 7:00pm and I usually nurse her to help her become drowsy. If she falls asleep I place her in bed. If she is cantankerous (kicking) I place her in bed and let her cry. She is awake anywhere from 1/2 hour to 1 hour and will awaken all night long either every 1-2 hours. Her pediatrician says to let her cry it out. If I do that all 5 of us will be up every 1-2 hours. I start her out in her own bed and for the sake of sleep nurse her in bed with me. Every time she wakes I switch sides and this is the best way for me and my household to get sleep. Even her dr. said that when he was training his daughter to "cry it out" he had to leave the house because he couldn't bare to hear the sadness. (I'll bet his wife did) When he said you could do that for up to an hour and a half I told him that sounded like a big bad time out. I will not let her cry past 15 minutes. I do not want a sad baby. I do not feel that letting her cry all night will teach her to sleep longer than 1-2 hours at a time. I think that's all she's naturally capable of doing. Can I die of not sleeping?
I know it's hard, but you should just let her cry it out. It is hard to hear your baby crying knowing that there is something you can do about it. But, for you and your spouses peace of mind, let her cry it out. You don't want a 10 year oold sleeping in bed with you, do you?

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last