Message Boards

Topic : Struggling with Sleep Issues?

Number of Replies: 184
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:43:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Millions of people suffer from sleep issues such as insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, sleep walking, sleep terrors, or restless leg syndrome. Share your stories and offer advice and support to others facing similar conditions.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 9, 2006, 9:11 pm CST

I also can never get enough sleep

Wow, I really identify with Simbah317.  No matter how many hours I sleep, I always have a terrible time trying to wake up in the morning.  My whole life I've required lots of sleep.  I remember as a child that my favorite Saturday morning cartoon was Super Friends (I'm also 34), but it came on at 7:00 am and that was just too early for me to get up.

I've also had a problem with chronic lateness.  I remember in high school trying all kinds of things to make me wake up in the morning, including setting up my alarm (set 15 minutes ahead of course) across the room so that I would have to actually get out of bed to turn it off.  Well, it took me a couple of mornings to be able to sleep right through it and a couple more days before I didn't even hear it anymore.

I've been fired from jobs for lateness and one year I took my child to school late almost every day.  Even letters from the teacher and the principal didn't work.  This is very embarrassing, but I don't know why I can't get up early like everyone else.

To this day I have 2 alarms and I hit the snooze buttons several times.  My alarms are set about an hour before I actually get up.  I know I am losing more sleep this way, but I need all that time with all the alarms going off in order to semi-wake up and get out of bed.  When I do wake up I look like a zombie walking to the bathroom with my eyes closed.  I've actually fallen asleep on the toilet and dozed off in the shower.

I can fall asleep any time, any place, given the opportunity, even when I shouldn't be sleeping.  This does improve some when I have gotten plenty of sleep. 

Waking up in the morning is the hardest thing for me to do all day.  The only difference between me and Simbah 317 is that I don't have a problem falling asleep.  I knock out almost immediately after I get in bed.

Does anyone know if there is an actual reason for this or am I really just lazy?

December 10, 2006, 2:43 am CST

sleep disorders

Quote From: mustbecrazy

I, too, have Bipolar Disorder.  Fortunately, I am on a good set of meds (finally).  I have just entered surgical menopause, due to hysterectomy with ovary removal (because of breast cancer...couldn't take the antihormone drug due to a heart arrhythmia...sounds like a soap, doesn't it?)

Sleep problems and Bipolar go hand in hand.  Sleep problems because of menopause go hand in hand.  Mood swings and menopause go hand in hand.  Unfortunately, I cannot take hormone therapy because the cancer had estrogen receptors.  My doc says I will be more succeptible to mood swings and depression for a couple of years.  We will adjust my meds as needed.

I take temazepam for sleep.  My sleep doc has me empty the capsule under my tongue and hold it there.  The mucosal tissue absorbs the chemicals faster than my stomache.  I have been able to cut my dose in half.  However, because I'm not getting any Delta sleep, we are researching meds to find one that will help.

Hey, have you checked out Dr. Phil's posting board for Bipolar Disorder?  Go to the message boards prompt.  Then go to "Mental Health", Then go to Bipolar Disorder.  There are a lot of people sharing their stories and offering encouragement to each other. 

Glad to hear from you.

femhrt.  is  that  not  hormone  replace ment?  i  have  a  hard  time  sleeping  through  the  night   and   wake  up  [tired]  every  morning.    i   am   looking  for  natural  sleep  aids.  i  was   taking  estrace  which  is  a  hormone  to  help  with  all  the  symptons  of  sleepless  ness.  however  the   pharmacys  are  running  [short]  on  this  med.   what   now? i    sure   could   use  some  answers,sleepless  .

December 10, 2006, 8:23 am CST

struggling with sleppdisorders

I went for the first time to read the message board  concerning sleepdisorders.I live in Norway so I guess that show has not been shown here yet.Nevertheless I had to answer and my answer refers to all the sleepdisorders,restless legs ,ADD ,sweatting at night due to menopause,snoring .I have gotten tremendous help by investing in NIKKEN`s sleepsystem,that is matress,comforter and pillow..

You can learn more about NIKKEN at www.NIKKEN.com.

I have learned that he sleepsystem is recommended by the World chiropractic Association,even though they get less patients.and this really impresses me.

Think to see your heavly medicated ADD child with no friends and low grades due to asleepsystem and a pair of insoles become drugfree getting topgrades and having friends?

To sleep the night without getting up to change your bedclothes.Using the insoles and having energy and no legcramps.

The sleepsystem  gives you a long restful renewing sleep,the deep sleeping phases get longer and deeper eventually you need less sleep.you are getting your batteries loaded while you are sleeping I hope you really will take this seriously and not dismiss it without really cheking it.

Hanne   haroiver@start.no

December 11, 2006, 9:28 am CST

my 14 year old son is narcopletic

and we find our biggest challenge is getting him the help he needs at school.

he take 500 ml of provigil a day. 300 in the morning and 200 at lunch.

Right now...the school is using fear tactics in keeping our son from getting any help at school. The lastest is they say if we get him a formal IEP at school...it will leave a paper trail that if our son is ever responsible for hurting someone because he fell asleep while at the hands of a wheel....they will come back on us with a law suit.

We don't know whether or not our son will ever drive but know that he is much better now that he takes his medicine. However he does at times feel he needs the extra help at school because he lacks the focus he needs to get through class.

December 11, 2006, 9:29 am CST

have you had a sleep study done

Quote From: yvetteq

Wow, I really identify with Simbah317.  No matter how many hours I sleep, I always have a terrible time trying to wake up in the morning.  My whole life I've required lots of sleep.  I remember as a child that my favorite Saturday morning cartoon was Super Friends (I'm also 34), but it came on at 7:00 am and that was just too early for me to get up.

I've also had a problem with chronic lateness.  I remember in high school trying all kinds of things to make me wake up in the morning, including setting up my alarm (set 15 minutes ahead of course) across the room so that I would have to actually get out of bed to turn it off.  Well, it took me a couple of mornings to be able to sleep right through it and a couple more days before I didn't even hear it anymore.

I've been fired from jobs for lateness and one year I took my child to school late almost every day.  Even letters from the teacher and the principal didn't work.  This is very embarrassing, but I don't know why I can't get up early like everyone else.

To this day I have 2 alarms and I hit the snooze buttons several times.  My alarms are set about an hour before I actually get up.  I know I am losing more sleep this way, but I need all that time with all the alarms going off in order to semi-wake up and get out of bed.  When I do wake up I look like a zombie walking to the bathroom with my eyes closed.  I've actually fallen asleep on the toilet and dozed off in the shower.

I can fall asleep any time, any place, given the opportunity, even when I shouldn't be sleeping.  This does improve some when I have gotten plenty of sleep. 

Waking up in the morning is the hardest thing for me to do all day.  The only difference between me and Simbah 317 is that I don't have a problem falling asleep.  I knock out almost immediately after I get in bed.

Does anyone know if there is an actual reason for this or am I really just lazy?

on you?

i would start with that and see what results you get.

December 11, 2006, 1:10 pm CST

Snoring at My Desk

I have sleep apnea & I suffer from chronic sinusitis. I have survived on 4 hours sleep or less a night for my entire adult life & I am now 52 years old. That used to be sufficient, but long-term sleep deprivation has caught up with me & I just can't do this anymore.  I wake up every hour because my sinuses are draining. I cough violently all day long. I have tried medicine & surgery but thus far nothing has stopped the drainage. Becase of the persistent drainage I can't use the CPAP machine to alleve the sleep apnea.

I frequently fall asleep at my desk. My supervisor has had to come & wake me up because I'm snoring so loudly. I have a wonderful 8 year old daughter who is deprived of an active, fully functioning mother because I am too tired to move. I'm so tired i just cry at times.  I'd give almost anything for a full night's sleep. Does anyone out there Have any suggestions, please!

December 11, 2006, 2:05 pm CST

TIRED OF BEING TIRED ALL THE TIME

I have suffered with Narcolepsy for 2 years now.  I have been on Provigil that whole time.  Only recently have I noticed that it doesn't seem to be working anymore.  I am the only person in my family with this disorder too so that doesn't help.  No one understands it or seems to really care.  Everyone assumes that I'm just lazy... sometimes I even question that myself.  I am 31 years old... have a 12 year old son & 8 year old daughter... and I just have absolutely no energy.  I am currently on the verge of losing the job which I have had for almost almost 9 years.  Just can't seem to get enough sleep.  Some days are better than others.  I have noticed that if I am under a lot of stress it seems to trigger the sleep episods.  As I'm writing this right now I can barely keep my eyes open.  Just feel like my body is totally drained of all it's energy.  Arms and legs feel like they are getting heavier and heavier.  I hate this feeling!!  I hate being tired all the time!!!  I am just so tired ALL of it at this point.  Just want to be a normal person again. 

December 11, 2006, 9:02 pm CST

IEP

Quote From: darcylove

and we find our biggest challenge is getting him the help he needs at school.

he take 500 ml of provigil a day. 300 in the morning and 200 at lunch.

Right now...the school is using fear tactics in keeping our son from getting any help at school. The lastest is they say if we get him a formal IEP at school...it will leave a paper trail that if our son is ever responsible for hurting someone because he fell asleep while at the hands of a wheel....they will come back on us with a law suit.

We don't know whether or not our son will ever drive but know that he is much better now that he takes his medicine. However he does at times feel he needs the extra help at school because he lacks the focus he needs to get through class.

Our oldest son, age 18, has Narcolepsy, and he is on Provigil. 

Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that interferes with a person's ability to function.  Your son IS eligible for an IEP, and you need to make sure that he is getting what he needs.  It is illegal for the school NOT to set up an IEP for your son.  Since your son already has a diagnosis of Narcolepsy, there already IS a PAPER TRAIL in his medical records.  It sounds like the school is making excuses instead of finding ways to help your son.

Before you set up the IEP, go to school with your son for a week to get a feel for what the teachers are like and what their expectations are.  Just be a quiet observer in the back of the room.  Write down any problem areas that you see.  Going to school yourself will go a long way in getting cooperation from the teachers and counselor and principal.  After you have your list compiled, set an appointment with the school counselor and his teachers to set a plan that will help your son...that is the goal.

Both of our older kids have IEPs for ADHD.  We had to fight for years for the school to give us any accomodations.  It got worse in junior high, when our boys went from one teacher to six. 

About driving, if your son is taking his meds and getting enough sleep, he shouldn't fall asleep at the wheel.   Hopefully, he will stay away from drugs and alcohol...be sure to talk with him about this, as alcohol will make the effects of Narcolepsy just that much worse.

December 11, 2006, 9:10 pm CST

Narcolepsy

Quote From: ttksb4

I have suffered with Narcolepsy for 2 years now.  I have been on Provigil that whole time.  Only recently have I noticed that it doesn't seem to be working anymore.  I am the only person in my family with this disorder too so that doesn't help.  No one understands it or seems to really care.  Everyone assumes that I'm just lazy... sometimes I even question that myself.  I am 31 years old... have a 12 year old son & 8 year old daughter... and I just have absolutely no energy.  I am currently on the verge of losing the job which I have had for almost almost 9 years.  Just can't seem to get enough sleep.  Some days are better than others.  I have noticed that if I am under a lot of stress it seems to trigger the sleep episods.  As I'm writing this right now I can barely keep my eyes open.  Just feel like my body is totally drained of all it's energy.  Arms and legs feel like they are getting heavier and heavier.  I hate this feeling!!  I hate being tired all the time!!!  I am just so tired ALL of it at this point.  Just want to be a normal person again. 

I have had Narcolepsy since I was a teenager, but it was only diagnosed a little over a year ago.  I have been on Provigil since the diagnosis.

In addition to the Narcolepsy, I also have some problems with my body's sleep clock...it is off schedule.  I am so tired in the morning, I can hardly move.  I am the same way in the late afternoon and evening.  Then, when bedtime rolls around, I am wide awake.

For the sleepiness, and for the time clock adjustment, my doctor prescribed a Feel Bright Light Visor.  They are about $200, and our insurance won't pay for it.  I don't have my light visor yet...saving up for it, but I am looking forward to getting it, and getting less tired.

The visor is worn at prescribed times of day...it is like a light box, only portable, so you don't have to sit there in front of it, doing nothing.  The light is supposed to help you feel more awake, and when used at the correct times of day, it is supposed to help your body's sleep rhythms get back into sync.

Also, with all of the stress and lack of energy, is it possible that you may be a little depressed?  Talk with your doctor about this...it just could be that you might need an antidepressant on top of the Provigil. 

I have bipolar disorder, and that messes with my moods and my sleep.  The right bipolar meds plus the provigil have made all the difference in the world.

December 12, 2006, 8:17 am CST

so far

Quote From: mustbecrazy

Our oldest son, age 18, has Narcolepsy, and he is on Provigil. 

Narcolepsy is a sleep disorder that interferes with a person's ability to function.  Your son IS eligible for an IEP, and you need to make sure that he is getting what he needs.  It is illegal for the school NOT to set up an IEP for your son.  Since your son already has a diagnosis of Narcolepsy, there already IS a PAPER TRAIL in his medical records.  It sounds like the school is making excuses instead of finding ways to help your son.

Before you set up the IEP, go to school with your son for a week to get a feel for what the teachers are like and what their expectations are.  Just be a quiet observer in the back of the room.  Write down any problem areas that you see.  Going to school yourself will go a long way in getting cooperation from the teachers and counselor and principal.  After you have your list compiled, set an appointment with the school counselor and his teachers to set a plan that will help your son...that is the goal.

Both of our older kids have IEPs for ADHD.  We had to fight for years for the school to give us any accomodations.  It got worse in junior high, when our boys went from one teacher to six. 

About driving, if your son is taking his meds and getting enough sleep, he shouldn't fall asleep at the wheel.   Hopefully, he will stay away from drugs and alcohol...be sure to talk with him about this, as alcohol will make the effects of Narcolepsy just that much worse.

the IEP we have for our 14 year old son really gives him nothing. We are hoping to get things like preprinted notes and having tests read to him. We also hope we can change his required number of books read each quarter to reading for a set amount of time each day. Quiet activities like reading is difficult for him. And having a test read to him allows him to interact with someone...thus keeping him alert. Also if getting notes allows him to put more focus on what is being said then on writing down notes. Focus is where he struggles the most with currently because often it takes a great deal of focus to stay alert and awake.

His provigil has made a signifcant change for him. Without it I am sure he would not be as alert as he is and probably suffering even more at school. He is a very good athlete and we tend to find the more activity he has...the more alert he is.

I am not sure how common it is for children to have narcolepsy but we did find it very difficult to find a doctor that works with children with sleep disorders. We did luckily find one.

I believe he has suffered with this for most of his life as he has never been a very good sleeper during the night and has always had the ability to fall asleep at the drop of a hat.

I will talk to him about about drugs and alcohol and how it effects narcoplepsy. This is new knowledge for me. We are concerned that the provigil medications would not interact with other drugs and alcohol too well. And so those discussions have already taken place. We also talk to him about staying free from those things because he wants to participate in sports in high school (and hopefully beyond).

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last