Message Boards

Topic : Struggling with Sleep Issues?

Number of Replies: 184
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:43:09 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Millions of people suffer from sleep issues such as insomnia, sleep apnea, narcolepsy, sleep walking, sleep terrors, or restless leg syndrome. Share your stories and offer advice and support to others facing similar conditions.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 7, 2007, 2:58 am CDT

tryptizol

Quote From: linda12k

You can drink Tonic Water, it has Quinine in it. My father-n-law has terrible leg cramps. He drinks the tonic water and eats a banana before bed time, it really helped him.

As for the not sleeping that has been my problem and I have taken alot of different meds for it.  But have come across Trazodone 150mg, that  has been a miracle pill for me for sleeping. And to wake up really feeling rested, that I have struggle with for years. It is prescription only. You can start out taking half a pill at first then after a couple weeks increase to the whole pill if need to. Let me know if any of this works for you.

I have used a tricyclic antidepressant in low dose (25-50 mg) with very good effect on sleep quality. It does not make it easier to get to sleep but once you are there you have a much improved sleep.  The pharmaceutical name of  the drug is amitriptyline (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tryptizol). I have heard that also trimipramine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimipramine) should be effective.

One interesting aspect is that  the latter is claimed to be only a moderate reuptake inhibitor of norepinephrine, and a weak reuptake inhibitor of serotonin and dopamine. At the same time it should be a dopamine 2-receptor antagonist (blocker). Requip which I have used with some dramatic effect on restless legs has this complex effect on brain receptors:

Requip is a non-ergoline dopamine agonist with high relative in vitro specificity and full intrinsic activity at the D2 and D3 dopamine receptor subtypes, binding with higher affinity to D3 than to D2 or D4 receptor subtypes.

Ropinirole has moderate in vitro affinity for opioid receptors. Ropinirole and its metabolites have negligible in vitro affinity for dopamine D1, 5-HT1, 5-HT2, benzodiazepine, GABA, muscarinic, alpha1-, alpha2-, and beta-adrenoreceptors.   

It should thus be rather a dopamine 2 stimulator (agonist) rather than antagonist !! Anyway apart from affecting the legs Requip gave me a good sleep with the "same feeling" I got from  tryptizol .  I now read  that  trimipramin gives you excessive dreaming or "nightmares". That is exactly the same I experienced with Requip !!!

June 12, 2007, 3:46 am CDT

suffering from insomnia.

for years i've struggling with this problem. i am on medication for the past year. my friends dont think its good, but it helps. is there anything else i can use or do to help myself. i am working also on changing my life style. i am starting to hate my bedroom.

June 18, 2007, 11:58 am CDT

I'm so sorry for your hard times

Quote From: dimpels

for years i've struggling with this problem. i am on medication for the past year. my friends dont think its good, but it helps. is there anything else i can use or do to help myself. i am working also on changing my life style. i am starting to hate my bedroom.

If your meds help you with your insomnia, great!   Ask your "friends" if you were diabetic, would they discourage you from taking your insulin?  I am sorry that you are starting to hate your bedroom.  Do you like the appearance of your bedroom?  Is it neat and tidy?  Or a catch all room for everything?  (there's a reason why I am asking you these questions)  Do you make your bed every day?  What lifestyle changes are you working at?  I have been having sleep troubles myself because of extremely high stress levels and sever depression.  I have 2 things that greatly help me.  Well actually 3.  I have a microplush blanket, otherwise known as a "fluffy".  I also have one of those goofy sleep masks, since I used to work 3rd shift.  I have started using it as a sleep aid.  I put it on, and say, "O.K., I have the mask on, everything else is blocked outside of it, so I can't think anything but pleasant thoughts since the problems are out there and I am in here."  Strange, but it works!  Also I like my bedroom's appearance.  It's a bit cluttered and that bothers me, because pre-mask days, I would lay there and beat myself up over not cleaning it or get up and clean it.   I hope we can talk more about this.

Good luck!!

Sunshine

June 18, 2007, 12:00 pm CDT

Your image is beautiful

Quote From: wolfweeps

I guess I'm the odd one out these days. I can't seem to fall or stay asleep. For the last 5 years its been hell, and I had hopes that now that we've completed our final move, and staying put would at least help me to fall asleep much easier. Instead, I can't get to sleep earlier than 1:30 am , and I gotta get up for work at 5:00 am.

But to top it all off, if I do get into a good restful sleep earlier than normal I get the most terrible charlie horses in both legs! It's a struggle not to fall out of the bed to get up and walk around to try walk the cramp out. But, nine times out of ten I have to get into the tub to take a hot shower and just pray that the cramp will leave me in blessed peace.

I have tried everything under the sun to prevent the charlie horses, exercise, stretching, and until month before last, Quinine. Now they aren't making Quinine which was cheaper, but some synthetic stuff that now I won't be able to afford for any length of time.....

Anyone have any ideas? I would sure appreciate it.  I thank you so much in advance....*S*

Namaste

P.S.-ask Becky to show off her rocks!!

June 19, 2007, 8:12 am CDT

thanxs sunshine 4 ur message

Quote From: sunshine80

If your meds help you with your insomnia, great!   Ask your "friends" if you were diabetic, would they discourage you from taking your insulin?  I am sorry that you are starting to hate your bedroom.  Do you like the appearance of your bedroom?  Is it neat and tidy?  Or a catch all room for everything?  (there's a reason why I am asking you these questions)  Do you make your bed every day?  What lifestyle changes are you working at?  I have been having sleep troubles myself because of extremely high stress levels and sever depression.  I have 2 things that greatly help me.  Well actually 3.  I have a microplush blanket, otherwise known as a "fluffy".  I also have one of those goofy sleep masks, since I used to work 3rd shift.  I have started using it as a sleep aid.  I put it on, and say, "O.K., I have the mask on, everything else is blocked outside of it, so I can't think anything but pleasant thoughts since the problems are out there and I am in here."  Strange, but it works!  Also I like my bedroom's appearance.  It's a bit cluttered and that bothers me, because pre-mask days, I would lay there and beat myself up over not cleaning it or get up and clean it.   I hope we can talk more about this.

Good luck!!

Sunshine

thanxs! well i have a beautiful bedroom suite but matress need 2 b changed a good pillow is also needed. i make up my room but still too little space. 2. hectic lifestyle although im a homemaker! 3. have a aftercare @ home. 4. three yr old girl restless @ night. 5. also other commitment which take alot frm me. trying 2 cut down on that. 6. my main problem is that i wanna pls everybody and 4get about myself. hope 2 hear frm u again

June 19, 2007, 8:53 am CDT

I know a site that will help you

thanxs! well i have a beautiful bedroom suite but matress need 2 b changed a good pillow is also needed. i make up my room but still too little space. 2. hectic lifestyle although im a homemaker! 3. have a aftercare @ home. 4. three yr old girl restless @ night. 5. also other commitment which take alot frm me. trying 2 cut down on that. 6. my main problem is that i wanna pls everybody and 4get about myself. hope 2 hear frm u again

Especially with your hectic stressful lifestyle.    I think being a homemaker is the toughest profession in the world!    Go to flylady.net.  she is awesome.  Let me know how you're doing pls?

Good Luck

Sunshine

June 20, 2007, 4:18 am CDT

thanxs!

Especially with your hectic stressful lifestyle.    I think being a homemaker is the toughest profession in the world!    Go to flylady.net.  she is awesome.  Let me know how you're doing pls?

Good Luck

Sunshine

thanxs! i'll keep in touch.

June 20, 2007, 10:15 pm CDT

I'm glad that you will write

For your restless 3 yr old, there is a book for that.  It's called "The Sleep Fairy".  My son had a sleep study, and his nurse practitioner said to buy it.  It works!

June 21, 2007, 7:39 am CDT

sleep fairy

For your restless 3 yr old, there is a book for that.  It's called "The Sleep Fairy".  My son had a sleep study, and his nurse practitioner said to buy it.  It works!
whats the name of the author of this book? maybe our library in SA has it

June 21, 2007, 7:48 am CDT

about the flylady.net

u r a star! eversince i've joined flylady.net i am hooked! i have learned alot! thanxs sunshine u have brought real sunshine in my life i am so greatful. i dont feel alone anymore!! i keep in touch.

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last