Message Boards

Topic : Coping with STDs

Number of Replies: 231
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:50:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you or a loved one have, or suspect you may have an STD? Share support and advice with others dealing with a sexually transmitted disease.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 30, 2007, 1:28 pm CDT

meds

Quote From: chantel2

Thanks. I have taken it when I have had outbreaks.  My outbreaks are so far and few between that I don't take it daily because of the expense.  Do you know of any other medications that aren't as expensive?
In regards to a couple of ya here.  I know how all you feel.  I just became divorced only after 5 years.  I take Valtrex, not on a daily basis, If I feel an outbreak starting, I take two a day.  My husband told me he had Herpes before we became intimate and serious, I accepted him for who he was...but then I transferred with my job and he stayed...which then later turned into a divorce.  I had no idea I had it until I became pregnant and the dr tested my blood for everything...it came up positive, talk about freaked, devistated, pissed, hurt..all the above, the biggest scare was passing it onto my baby.  Needless to say, they took her C section at 30 weeks.  She is now 14 months and healthy! No sign!  However, being military...I don't know of any other meds either...my plan covers mine.  Talk to your GYN Dr, about a different med, that is who talked to me about the whole case.  Don't worry about what others think of you..life is too short...and to be honest, there are way more people in this world who have Herpes than who don't and they either don't or won't admit it or they don't know!  Keep smiling your still here with us!

September 9, 2007, 4:56 am CDT

cheaper meds

Quote From: doris2day

Lysine does very little for herpes.  The only dose that showed any difference at all in studies was 1 gm 3 times a day - it reduced ob's by 2 a year. There were no studies on it for any effects on viral shedding.  It's actually more expensive to use lysine than it is to use generic acyclovir for most people.  Acyclovir is proven to reduce ob's significantly and reduce shedding which is terrific for helping to keep a partner hsv negative for as long as possible.

Acyclovir is available as a generic and is far cheaper than valtrex.  If you can't find it cheaper elsewhere - the herpes homepage has a deal with drugplace.com to offer 6 weeks worth of suppressive therapy for under $25. Many insurances make acyclovir very cheap so it's well worth looking into. Also if you have insurance - get your prescription filled for 3 months worth at a time - that's usually cheapest.  If you use valtrex or famvir - check out their websites for coupons!

The herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com is a terrific resource to learn about all the basics of herpes - testing, treatment , talking about it and how to reduce the chances of transmitting it to a partner.   There is also a terrific patient counseling video on the website you can watch too - it's especially helpful if you are newly diagnosed and wondering what knowing you have genital herpes means for you. 

The thing about herpes simplex is - no symptoms does not mean no infection.  The vast majority of folks who have hsv1 and/or hsv2 have no idea they are infected. That's why type specific herpes igg blood testing is useful. Knowing a partner's status helps you to decide what precautions, if any, are needed in your relationship. You absolutely can not assume that no symptoms means no herpes - either orally or genitally. Herpes simplex is incredibly common - over 60% of adults have hsv1 orally and 25% of adults have hsv2 genitally.  Hsv1 can also be transmitted to the genital area - mainly thru oral sex. It's the cause of 30% of all new genital herpes infections.  Knowing what type you have is important so if your doctor has diagnosed you as having genital herpes further testing is in your best interest to determine which type it is.

clinicaltrials.gov lists all the current hsv studies going on - there are many to participate in whether you are completely hsv negative ( and female between the ages of 18-30 ) to if you are newly diagnosed with genital herpes to if you've had hsv2 for > 10 years for studies.

Is herpes a big deal?  No it's not but society has put unfair stigma's on it - especially genital herpes.  It's a nuisance virus for the most part but it can cause health problems especially in babies.  I totally agree with the poster that said dr phil should do a show on herpes - too many people let an incredibly common virus control their life instead of controling it!!

grace

acyclovir is now available as one of walmart's $4 prescriptions...have your dr. write the script for a month's worth of pills with refills (if you take it twice daily, it must be written for 60 pills and that will be $4...if the prescription isn't specific, you will only get 30 pills for the price). 
Has anyone else had bad side affects from acyclovir?  It made me extremely jittery and interrupted sleep. 
Valtrex had no side affects on me, but it's way too expensive.  I've seen it for much less thru online mexico pharmacies, but that scares me.  Anyone  tried it?

September 9, 2007, 5:23 am CDT

judgemental & uninformed

Quote From: artamis_1982

AMEN!!!
i too was raised in the church & taught to wait until married...but your statement is judgemental and condescending.  Read the blog, there are plenty of people who were virgins and caught this from their husbands or were raped.  Yes it is a sexually transmitted disease...so if you've ever had sex with ANYONE even just your husband, YOU very well may have one too and just not know it.  The Bible teaches love, which is what the victims of an STD are looking for.  The shame is out there because of uninformed assuming judgemental attitudes like yours.

September 9, 2007, 5:24 am CDT

judgemental & uninformed

Quote From: purplerose11

If people would not have sex with everyone they go out with and stop paying to just get sex! People would not be getting stds or anything  else! Should wait until you are married to have sex!
i too was raised in the church & taught to wait until married...but your statement is judgemental and condescending.  Read the blog, there are plenty of people who were virgins and caught this from their husbands or were raped.  Yes it is a sexually transmitted disease...so if you've ever had sex with ANYONE even just your husband, YOU very well may have one too and just not know it.  The Bible teaches love, which is what the victims of an STD are looking for.  The shame is out there because of uninformed assuming judgemental attitudes like yours.

September 9, 2007, 7:28 am CDT

new to this

hi,

i am new to this and just thought i would see if this sight had some people to talk to that are going through the same kind of thing. I too can't say for sure where this came from, i have had 3 partners including my husband and he has had several. i guess the reality is, it doesn't matter who is at fault it is something we will have to deal with. Right now i am more scared then anything. i was just told that i had herpes last week. i went to one doctor after excrutiating pain last weekend, he said it wae s a bad yeast infection and 80.00 in meds later and 4 days later i was still in so much pain i went to my regular doctor. before she even looked at me she said man that really sounds like herpes to which i started crying, how could i have gotten that? from a toilet seat? she said not likely, i was just devastated. its so painful and this never goes away?? i dont know how people deal with these outbreaks especially if they happen all the time. my job is sitting all day i couldn't sit i had to take the week off. i can't take a week off everytime this occurs. how do you know when these symptoms are coming?> i have read alot of websites on the subject to try and get informed. my husband thankfully has been very supportive and says he will go get tested next week. he has since informed me that he always had cold sores as a kid , perhaps he gave it to me mouth to genital and didn't know it. i have never heard that the first kind can transfer to the second kind. i guess im still in the depressed and ashamed stage. im ashamed b/c my two former partners i didn't use anything b/c im allergic to condoms. i never even thought about std i dont know why,. i guess i assumed they would have said something if they had somethihng,. but then people can have it and not know it themselves so i guess i cant really find blame in anything maybe thats the hardest part not knowing why or where this came from. but what would that help anyways?? how do you deal with the idea that this will keep happening im so scared of this pain again. thanks for listening,.

September 14, 2007, 9:44 am CDT

Sex

Quote From: purplerose11

If people would not have sex with everyone they go out with and stop paying to just get sex! People would not be getting stds or anything  else! Should wait until you are married to have sex!

With the way this world is going, sex is going to happen.  People from teens to elderly will have sex. Married or not, it's going to happen.  It kind of got grown into our nature.  There's nothing we can do to stop it, besides say what the effects are.  I'm 18, and I know that even that doesn't help until it happens to you.  Religion is something in the past for us, there are a lot of teens that never even heard of the bible. 

I'm Catholic, but I don't follow the religion.  It's just teen are filled with all this media, and we listen to it, because we are growing, and our minds are deveolping, so they breed these things into our undecided minds, and we just live off that.  I know that drinking is bad.  I know that cigarettes is the leading cause of cancer in the USA.  I know that sex should be saved for marriage.  But I still do all those things, even though I know I shouldn't.  

September 18, 2007, 3:32 pm CDT

Husband swears that he wasn't unfaithful.....

In January- I had the flu really bad for two days.  In the beginning of February I was having a discharge, and was itchy and all that good stuff.  I also noticed a lump by my lip, and I went in to my doctor thinking it was a strain or pulled something.  I was told to go to the gyny....right away, the next day.  I went and had a pap which came back bad and was told I had a couple of std's and I was on medicine for a month.  First to cure Trich, then bacterial vaginitis, and g. vaginitis and hpv- no cure, and then for a yeast infection.  After all the infections, I had a leep and cone procedure done in May.  I went back for my pap in August and even though I've used condoms, I have bacterial vaginitis and the pap was bad again...asgus?  Anyways, my question is could I have gotten the trich and hpv and had it for over a year and then had symptoms?  I know I haven't been with anyone else and I really thought my husband was faithful, but I won't let him near me now.  My doctor told me to not have sex with him unless we use condoms.  The doctor seemed to think I got it from my husband?  What is the likelyhood that he didn't give this to me recently?  My doctor prescribed Flagyl again and for both of us again.  I never tested positive for the hpv either , but I had pre-cancerous cells removed.  Can you test negative for hpv even though you have it?How do I know if he gave this to me for sure, or how can I trust him, when my doctor is telling me otherwise?

September 19, 2007, 1:48 pm CDT

My partner Just told me

I have been seeing someone for a bit now, not to long, and he just informed me that he got Herpes from a partner about a year ago. He told me when his last outbreak was and talked to me about it. We have been intimate but never anything sexual. He told me he wanted to tell me and he did. I believe he was honest with me fully.

However I’m very confused and scared right now. I really like him, and I want to see where it will go. I’m scared for several reasons, I only know about the STD from searching the internet for days now, and reading everything I have found.

I know it’s a virus and I know I may or may not contract it with protected or unprotected sex. I know the stats.

I’m scared for several reasons, maybe it is just me, or maybe I’m still Ignorant toward the virus. I have questions for him, but I’m not sure what to ask. His exact words to me were he feels like a leper sometimes, I don’t want him to feel that way.

I have to add, that might add some light as to why I’m scared, is I have never had unprotected sex…and I mean NEVER. Oral or other wise. I was always nervous to catch an STD, because I am sexually promiscuous and I’m not ashamed to admit it, I like sex! I’ve protected myself and have had the test to make sure…call me kooky.

Now I feel like I have to make a decision as to whether I’m willing to contract it or not.

Anyone have any comments or statements for me in anyway!

September 19, 2007, 7:58 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: kimpossible

I have been seeing someone for a bit now, not to long, and he just informed me that he got Herpes from a partner about a year ago. He told me when his last outbreak was and talked to me about it. We have been intimate but never anything sexual. He told me he wanted to tell me and he did. I believe he was honest with me fully.

However Im very confused and scared right now. I really like him, and I want to see where it will go. Im scared for several reasons, I only know about the STD from searching the internet for days now, and reading everything I have found.

I know its a virus and I know I may or may not contract it with protected or unprotected sex. I know the stats.

Im scared for several reasons, maybe it is just me, or maybe Im still Ignorant toward the virus. I have questions for him, but Im not sure what to ask. His exact words to me were he feels like a leper sometimes, I dont want him to feel that way.

I have to add, that might add some light as to why Im scared, is I have never had unprotected sexand I mean NEVER. Oral or other wise. I was always nervous to catch an STD, because I am sexually promiscuous and Im not ashamed to admit it, I like sex! Ive protected myself and have had the test to make surecall me kooky.

Now I feel like I have to make a decision as to whether Im willing to contract it or not.

Anyone have any comments or statements for me in anyway!

HI there -

Please read the herpes handbook at www.westoverheights.com and check out the herpes home page at www.herpeshomepage.com .

There is lots of info I could give you, but my best advice would be to have your partner tested to find out what type he has, and talk to him about taking suppressive therapy.  That would cut your risk down to about  4% a year that you would get it, (meaning a 96% chance that you wouldn't).

I could go on, but please check out those sites.  :)

Jess

September 19, 2007, 8:03 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: patty1969

In January- I had the flu really bad for two days.  In the beginning of February I was having a discharge, and was itchy and all that good stuff.  I also noticed a lump by my lip, and I went in to my doctor thinking it was a strain or pulled something.  I was told to go to the gyny....right away, the next day.  I went and had a pap which came back bad and was told I had a couple of std's and I was on medicine for a month.  First to cure Trich, then bacterial vaginitis, and g. vaginitis and hpv- no cure, and then for a yeast infection.  After all the infections, I had a leep and cone procedure done in May.  I went back for my pap in August and even though I've used condoms, I have bacterial vaginitis and the pap was bad again...asgus?  Anyways, my question is could I have gotten the trich and hpv and had it for over a year and then had symptoms?  I know I haven't been with anyone else and I really thought my husband was faithful, but I won't let him near me now.  My doctor told me to not have sex with him unless we use condoms.  The doctor seemed to think I got it from my husband?  What is the likelyhood that he didn't give this to me recently?  My doctor prescribed Flagyl again and for both of us again.  I never tested positive for the hpv either , but I had pre-cancerous cells removed.  Can you test negative for hpv even though you have it?How do I know if he gave this to me for sure, or how can I trust him, when my doctor is telling me otherwise?

What kind of testing did you have done for the trich and bv?  (And bv and g. vaginitis are the same thing.)

The trich could have caused the bv - bv isn't an STD.  Its caused by an abnormal balance of the good and bad bacteria, and if you had trich, then your bacterias would have been all off kilter.

Yes, you could have had both trich and HPV for a year without knowing it, as could your husband.   And you can test negative for HPV without having it.  If the virus isn't active, your test will be negative.  An HPV infection is NOT a sign of cheating, if you have no other reason to believe that he cheated.

You should check out www.ashastd.org for more info on HPV and the test, etc.

Jess

First | Prev | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next | Last