Message Boards

Topic : Coping with STDs

Number of Replies: 231
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:50:08 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Do you or a loved one have, or suspect you may have an STD? Share support and advice with others dealing with a sexually transmitted disease.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 17, 2006, 8:46 am CDT

STD GO ME

Well just to start off i was married for 3 year then me and my wife seperated and i had sex out side the married and the we got back togather i went got test came back negative and then couple mounth later we broke up again i have 3 partners i found out cause my ex girlfriend had went to the doctor and told me she had chlamita and herpys either i got them from one of the othere chick cause one of the chick i was with had hpv after i had to find out afterwareds but it really stressfull dealing with this i never had it before

August 27, 2006, 9:43 pm CDT

MEOW

August 28, 2006, 2:42 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: manbot

MEOW

Meow?????

August 28, 2006, 6:25 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: burlinray

Well just to start off i was married for 3 year then me and my wife seperated and i had sex out side the married and the we got back togather i went got test came back negative and then couple mounth later we broke up again i have 3 partners i found out cause my ex girlfriend had went to the doctor and told me she had chlamita and herpys either i got them from one of the othere chick cause one of the chick i was with had hpv after i had to find out afterwareds but it really stressfull dealing with this i never had it before

Didn't you know this would most likely happen by sleeping with multiple people? I'm sorry to hear that you are going through this, but am also baffled at the fact that you let your health go just for pleasure. Are you getting treatment for it now? STDS are not fun. I don't know from personal experience, but my cousin has a multitude of them and I have seen what she is going through. I wish you the best of luck. Keep getting treatment to help lessen the symptoms.

August 28, 2006, 6:30 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: chantel2

Thanks. I have taken it when I have had outbreaks.  My outbreaks are so far and few between that I don't take it daily because of the expense.  Do you know of any other medications that aren't as expensive?

You should talk to your doctor to see which is the best medicine for you. Tell your doctor that you are looking for an affordable medicine that will help you with your outbreaks. There are cheaper medicines out there, but you should discuss all of the options with a medical professional first.

August 29, 2006, 2:40 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: rayoflight

You should talk to your doctor to see which is the best medicine for you. Tell your doctor that you are looking for an affordable medicine that will help you with your outbreaks. There are cheaper medicines out there, but you should discuss all of the options with a medical professional first.

I have talked to my medical professional before.  There never seems to be much of a discussion on medication.  It is here....take this and let me know if it works.  I have recently changed doctors, so maybe I will try it again.  I also recommend to my partners that before we continue a relationship that they consult their physician.  Some never call back and others do.  I often wondered what their physicians tell them.  It would be nice to know.

September 2, 2006, 8:08 am CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: chantel2

I have talked to my medical professional before.  There never seems to be much of a discussion on medication.  It is here....take this and let me know if it works.  I have recently changed doctors, so maybe I will try it again.  I also recommend to my partners that before we continue a relationship that they consult their physician.  Some never call back and others do.  I often wondered what their physicians tell them.  It would be nice to know.

You obviously didn't have a good doctor. I hope your new one works out. You need to tell them what you want in a medicine so that they can find the best option for you. Don't let them give you something without having them explain it first.

I am happy to hear that you discuss this with your partners. Even though some ran, you made the right decision by being honest with them.

September 2, 2006, 3:48 pm CDT

Coping with STDs

Quote From: rayoflight

You obviously didn't have a good doctor. I hope your new one works out. You need to tell them what you want in a medicine so that they can find the best option for you. Don't let them give you something without having them explain it first.

I am happy to hear that you discuss this with your partners. Even though some ran, you made the right decision by being honest with them.

When I spoke withmy medical provider, she recommended Valtrex.  I asked her if there was another Medication not so expensive.  Yes there is, but it does not work as good and you have to take more often.  With Valtrex, you take one daily.  It works ok at least for the itching.  As far as the outbreaks, I still have them.  But she gave me a cream Denavir 1% that works really great.  It is just as expensive. Having Herpes is really a life changing experience.  I really get down when I have these outbreaks.  I don't know which is worse, the outbreak or the itching.  But, I am hanging in there because I know that God allows you to go thru things to strengthen your spritual growth.  He takes you thru to get you to something better.  It could be a testimony to help someone else.  Stay strong all that has the disease.

September 11, 2006, 10:52 am CDT

Telling prospective partners

Quote From: mantoine

When I spoke withmy medical provider, she recommended Valtrex.  I asked her if there was another Medication not so expensive.  Yes there is, but it does not work as good and you have to take more often.  With Valtrex, you take one daily.  It works ok at least for the itching.  As far as the outbreaks, I still have them.  But she gave me a cream Denavir 1% that works really great.  It is just as expensive. Having Herpes is really a life changing experience.  I really get down when I have these outbreaks.  I don't know which is worse, the outbreak or the itching.  But, I am hanging in there because I know that God allows you to go thru things to strengthen your spritual growth.  He takes you thru to get you to something better.  It could be a testimony to help someone else.  Stay strong all that has the disease.

When is the right time to tell a prospective partner, after the 1st date, the 3rd date or when the petting gets serious.  I have not dated much after finding out I had herpes, got it in a long relationship and found out afterward he cheated on me and condoms weren't used.  I used condoms every time with other parteners in between me finding out and the relationship so I feel better there.  But how do you date again, one person said if they really like you they won't run but it beats you down emotionally after a while when the negative reactions keep coming out.  I'm not sure what to do, should I stop dating all together. I have found that the std websites aren't very good, ad's, responses, etc.  I guess it will be in the back of my mind with the dates util I tell them so I can't really relax and have a good time because I know eventually i have to tell them, I don' t want to get hurt and I don' t want them to get hurt either.  What do you do?

September 13, 2006, 9:26 am CDT

When to tell

Quote From: cooperc50

When is the right time to tell a prospective partner, after the 1st date, the 3rd date or when the petting gets serious.  I have not dated much after finding out I had herpes, got it in a long relationship and found out afterward he cheated on me and condoms weren't used.  I used condoms every time with other parteners in between me finding out and the relationship so I feel better there.  But how do you date again, one person said if they really like you they won't run but it beats you down emotionally after a while when the negative reactions keep coming out.  I'm not sure what to do, should I stop dating all together. I have found that the std websites aren't very good, ad's, responses, etc.  I guess it will be in the back of my mind with the dates util I tell them so I can't really relax and have a good time because I know eventually i have to tell them, I don' t want to get hurt and I don' t want them to get hurt either.  What do you do?

In my opinion, if you think the relationship is going somplace, you should be up front as soon as possible.  Put yourself in the other person's place.  When would you like to know.  How important would it be for you to find out.  If this person really cares for you and want a relationship with you, then he/she should be ok using condoms.  This disease is no joke, it takes an emotionally toll on you.  I don't know where your relatiionship is with God, but you have to constantly be in prayer.  You feel so down a lot of time. Everytime you get a outbreak especially, you just want to kick yourself.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last