Message Boards

Topic : Are You Afraid to Age?

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:53:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They say age is just a number, but many people will do just about anything to stay young. Are you afraid to age? How do you stay young in mind and body?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

December 30, 2007, 6:45 am CST

Age is a state of mind

Quote From: amessofawoman

Just seems like yesterday that people were telling me how young I look.  Not any more!  I am 43 and I look 43.  I don't want to look my age!  I have always looked at least 5-10 years younger than my age.  Now when I look in the mirror all I see is puffy eyes, discoloring of the skin and some wrinkles.  I have spent a lot of evenings looking in that mirror and watch the tears roll down my face.  I just don't know how to deal with getting older.  I really don't!

The sad thing is that the men I chose to be by my side are always 14-20 years older.  They are good men. I just don't know whether I actually like them or its because standing next to them is suppose to make me look years younger.  An extremely stupid idea.

I have also lied about my age.  If I don't know the person and they ask, I will tell them that I am 48 so they will be impressed at how young I look.

Someone tell me how I can change my attitude towards growing older!!!

In our culture, youth and beauty is glorified, so it's not at all surprising that as we age, we are confronted with the realities of aging.  But you don't have to 'feel' old. 

I've known people in their 90's who are so 'young at heart' that they actually seem younger to me.  It's all in perspective.  Perspective is everything.

You just need to accept the aging process with grace.  Embrace the reality of aging with gratitude that you have lived this long, and continue to find ways of being young in your mind.

January 5, 2008, 11:33 pm CST

Are You Afraid to Age?

I just give Mother Nature a helping hand.  Sometimes she's a little slow on the rise.  It's called "Wake up to make-up."

Sure, the joints are sometimes a little creaky and gravity can be a pain but in the grand scheme of things, I always count my blessings and think that if aging is the worst thing in my life, then I've got it pretty damn good.

I love this quotation:

" Growing up is mandatory; growing old is optional."

And from my own still functioning mind, I have this as my signature on my emails:

"I'm secure enough to tell you my age but not my weight."

January 9, 2008, 5:05 pm CST

I am not afraid to age.

Hi!  I am 58 years old.  Up until I was about 40 I didn't give much thought to aging as I still looked youthful.  At that point I noticed creases and different things happening to my face.  At about 50 it started bothering me that I was aging.  I felt as if no one would want me or be attracted to me since I was gaining more and more grey hair etc.  I used to get looked at quite often but not much anymore.  I started dying my hair and wore minimal makeup.  This phase only lasted for a few years though.  Now, I really enjoy myself as I am.  I gave things much thought.  Women are "told" they do not look good enough unless they dye their hair and wear makeup.  But.....this is how I really look I thought!!  Is that a bad thing??!!  My answer was and is a resounding NO!!  It IS good enough!!  I LIKE my grey hair and I don't wear makeup!!  I have my hair in a nice style and my grey is salt and peppery.  I am in fairly good shape and have recently started going to the gym again to lift weights and am walking regularly and eating very well.  I am reading Mehmet Oz's book "You...Staying Young".  I love it and intend to do my utmost to be as healthy as possible for as long as I can.  We all age and eventually die and that is just the way it is.  I feel better mentally and emotionally than I have my entire l ife.  I like who I am and am proud of my age and weight.  My husband who is my best friend likes me just as I am.  Life is wonderful!!  Sincerely, Donna Smith

January 21, 2008, 2:28 pm CST

Wish to Remain Well-informed as I Age

I am not afraid to age, I do wish to remain well-informed, and age gracefully I might add!  After completing the recommended medical tests and screenings my doctor recommended, I ran across an excellent online memory screening website at: http://www.cognicheck.com.  Not only do I wish to remain well informed about my physical health as I age, but also my "cognitive" well-being and how my short-term memory processes are functioning.  I must admit that the possibility of dementia and Alzheimer's disease truly scares me!

January 23, 2008, 10:10 pm CST

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: amessofawoman

Just seems like yesterday that people were telling me how young I look.  Not any more!  I am 43 and I look 43.  I don't want to look my age!  I have always looked at least 5-10 years younger than my age.  Now when I look in the mirror all I see is puffy eyes, discoloring of the skin and some wrinkles.  I have spent a lot of evenings looking in that mirror and watch the tears roll down my face.  I just don't know how to deal with getting older.  I really don't!

The sad thing is that the men I chose to be by my side are always 14-20 years older.  They are good men. I just don't know whether I actually like them or its because standing next to them is suppose to make me look years younger.  An extremely stupid idea.

I have also lied about my age.  If I don't know the person and they ask, I will tell them that I am 48 so they will be impressed at how young I look.

Someone tell me how I can change my attitude towards growing older!!!

43 really isnt that old. you need to stop freaking out girl.

January 23, 2008, 10:12 pm CST

age should not matter.

As you get older you see certain ages differently than you use to. It happens to everyone. It just takes longer for some to realize it. Age is all about perception. What is old? How do you define old? It is such a subjective term. Americas perception of old has been magnified to the point of being ridiculous. To a teenager, 40 might seem old. To a elementary school kid, a teenager may be old. People say things like he looks good for 30, 40, 50 and on. What is 30, 40, or 50 suppose to look like, or feel like? There is some sort of instinctive need in us to discriminate everything from age, sex, race, height, financial status, education, disabilities, and the list goes on. These things I have a hard time understanding.

January 23, 2008, 10:19 pm CST

therapy anyone?

So many people on these message boards are so dam depressed! I lot of them seem to need some type of medication, or therapy. This is definitely not a site to go and feel good about life.

January 23, 2008, 10:24 pm CST

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: melissa450

The truth is I feel younger today than I did ten years ago. I was in bad health ten years ago and was suffering from depression. But there was a day where I took control of my life and I got my health back and I feel happy and hopeful again. Today, as I walked up my back stairs I thought to myself how I feel stronger today than two years ago. Sometimes i feel so young I can't believe it. Life is a challenge and it can be a struggle. But there are times when it can be so joyful and wonderful. I just lost my father a few months ago - it's very sad. We were really good friends and he was my dad.But my faith in God and a future helps me to go on. It is true, tutto e possible - everything is possible. You just don't know the surprises God has in store for you. Just believe he loves you. And believe in your dreams. God bless.
Wow that is one of the best posts i have read on here.  You are actually not depressing me.  I like it!

January 23, 2008, 10:25 pm CST

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: oneangelplease

• I am 57 y/o/f/. I have Fibro and therefore I am constantly in pain. I have always looked 20 years younger but due to so much pain I am ageing past my 57 now. I want a face lift and tummy tuck. After two children, my stomach just hangs. I am not ugly by any means, but my husband hasn't touched me intimately in 21/2 years. Talk about insecure!!! I don't want anyone else, I am too afraid to even think of being alone. I am so confused! Linda
from your picture you look pretty sexy!  you should put up some more.

January 23, 2008, 10:27 pm CST

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: minniemouse001

i am afriad of ageing and i am only 28 !

I feel like i wasted my life studying at a university to please my parents

When all i really want to do is act!

i feel like i have spent the last 8 years pleasing my parents and now

when it passed me

I feel depressed since i never did the things i wanted to when i was in my early

20's

its really depressing me like crazy lately

your only 28 stop freaking out!  i just turned 30 and it sucked for a while but then i thought hey i'm still young and so are you.  have you ever thought about talking to someone?

First | Prev | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last