Message Boards

Topic : Are You Afraid to Age?

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:53:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They say age is just a number, but many people will do just about anything to stay young. Are you afraid to age? How do you stay young in mind and body?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 22, 2008, 1:54 pm CDT

yes...

i'm only 21and i like the way i look, but i am a little afraid of loosing it and looking older one day.  realistically, i know all i can really do is try to take care of myself the best i can and save up for cosmetic surgery! (lol)  so, i try not to dwell on it...

May 1, 2008, 1:31 pm CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: diannak

i'm only 21and i like the way i look, but i am a little afraid of loosing it and looking older one day.  realistically, i know all i can really do is try to take care of myself the best i can and save up for cosmetic surgery! (lol)  so, i try not to dwell on it...

who is not my friend...

all have to afraid of that

but I am worry about even think

about that I am 20 years old male and really worry about

get aging and have some problems after that in bones and memory

and finally kiss your life bye bye after that

but I guess we could save our bodies and minds

by having the good sport habbit and good diet especially anti oxidant agent

we shold foucus on them and many othe agent only in diet and by the way

if these pic is urs u should not use cosmetic surgery I am very sure of that

I hope u accept me as new friend

;)

kudo

May 1, 2008, 2:20 pm CDT

Only as old as you feel....

We're all going to age and die, as all organic matter decomposes.  One adage that helps put it into perspective:  Dream as if you'll live forever, live as though you'll die today".  I think living up to that keeps you young.  At least (IMO) youre entertaining God, He won't be bored watching you! 

Exercise and diet are the "no brainers", but also vitamins/supplements, staying out of the sun, eating organic, drinking coffee/green teas/red wines, don't stress about everything and learn to say no (life's too short to be a martyr and continue doing something that makes you unhappy).

May 2, 2008, 6:16 am CDT

I forgot to add....

I forgot to add something.  Make your own bucket list of things you want to do before you die.  It could be "go to Europe, climb Mt. Everest, go skydiving, learn to surf, go to Israel, build a house, write a book, start a business, get out of a job you hate...whatever.

I heard a quote (don't know where) that summarizes it, "Life is about minimizing regrets".  Then when you eventually age, you won't feel like you wasted your youth and getting older won't seem so scary.

May 23, 2008, 12:37 pm CDT

I totally agree . . .

Quote From: valoren

I'm 45 and lucky to be alive.  I was a bit of a wild child in my youth and much of what I did should have killed me, but I'm still here.  I'm struggling with many issues, but age isn't one of them.

When I was growing up, the older you were, the more respect you commanded.  I'm a Southern farm kid and was raised to be quiet and listen to my elders.  There are times when that isn't really the appropriate way to treat a child - I was molested for about 14 years and no one would listen or believe because I was a child - but all things considered, it really was better for me to be "seen and not heard".  Had I been a loudmouth, I'd have missed the most wonderful stories, so much family history, and so much laughter from the adults around me.  By keeping quiet and listening, I learned that older people really were wiser than the rest of us and if I really wanted to learn (I wanted to know everything as a child) then I'd listen to my elders.  I'm glad I was raised that way.

Now, that having been said, I wanted nothing more as a child than to get old.  I wanted to be one of the wise people, one who was respected.  I knew that I'd only get respect if I got old and wise.  I wanted to be someone others turned to for advice, someone who had, if not all the answers, then at least a lot of them.

The older I get, the more respect I get from young people, though not nearly as much as older people got when I was a child.  Still, it's better than what I got when I was a kid.  Young people actually listen to me now.  I'm grateful for that, and grateful that the idiot stunts I tried as a kid didn't kill me.  Every additional year means just a little bit more respect, just a little more knowledge, and a little more wisdom.

I still want to know everything, I want to learn learn learn.....I have more books than the law should allow.  Looks be damned, I want to know more about the world, about life.  I don't care about gray hair, wrinkles or saggy boobs, I care what's in my head and my heart.  The rest is just window dressing and almost completely irrelevent to WHO I am. 

I'm grateful for every birthday because it means I'm still alive, and as long as I'm alive, I still have a chance to learn and maybe even to grow.  The "growing" part is why I came here.  :-)

Maybe that's trite, I don't know.  I do know that it's true.  I want to keep getting older, and I hope someday I'll be as respected as old people were when I was growing up.

Valoren

Valoren -

I just have to tell you that I totally agree with everything you have said in the above message.  I just happened by chance to read it.  This is the first time I have ever been on Dr. Phil's website.   Unlike you, I do sometime worry about my appearance.  Although, I wish that I didn't.  The other statements you made about how our generation was raised is so accurate.  I just wish this generation thought the way that we do but I have accepted the fact that they do not.  I just hope and pray that my husband and I have raised our children in such a way that they do think this way.  Thanks, you did an excellent job in stating how you feel and hopefully some of the younger generation will read it to see what the "older" generation was like in case they have lost touch.

Nancy

June 25, 2008, 12:32 pm CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Not afraid to age...just afraid to look my age or older.....I'm 36...I've worked on losing weight...have lost 30 pounds so far...still working on it....but it is difficult...my clothing is stuck in a time warp...I'm a mom of 3 children...2 girls ages 11, and 6..my son is 4...I don't have much time to shop...and when I do,  I find myself always looking for the kids...I would love Robin's help on becoming more hip...I'm a part-time christian school teacher, a taxi driver for the kids and all their activities, to name just a few...HELP ME!...I NEED TO COME OUT OF MY BOX!!!

June 25, 2008, 1:47 pm CDT

Are you afraid to age?

I look at myself and I worry about getting older.  I do dress in style.  I have gainned wieght and I hate it.

I wear make - up to high my age.  I try to look my best but so stressed out of getting and looking my age.  I need help.

June 28, 2008, 12:24 am CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: tamiharold

I look at myself and I worry about getting older.  I do dress in style.  I have gainned wieght and I hate it.

I wear make - up to high my age.  I try to look my best but so stressed out of getting and looking my age.  I need help.

Losing weight and getting some new clothes always seem to help me!

July 1, 2008, 8:37 pm CDT

Not really

It certainly beats the alternative. I think life is a series of changes tyou have to adjust you and embracing change makes it easy to find the positives in any situation imo.

May 11, 2009, 7:59 pm CDT

I agree three!

Quote From: wkudeltmom

Valoren -

I just have to tell you that I totally agree with everything you have said in the above message.  I just happened by chance to read it.  This is the first time I have ever been on Dr. Phil's website.   Unlike you, I do sometime worry about my appearance.  Although, I wish that I didn't.  The other statements you made about how our generation was raised is so accurate.  I just wish this generation thought the way that we do but I have accepted the fact that they do not.  I just hope and pray that my husband and I have raised our children in such a way that they do think this way.  Thanks, you did an excellent job in stating how you feel and hopefully some of the younger generation will read it to see what the "older" generation was like in case they have lost touch.

Nancy

I also agree with what you had to say. A lot of women in their 30s 40s   think they are getting too old so they do plastic surgery, stretch their faces all the time. This tells me that they aren't happy with who they are. The losing the weight thing might be ok in a healthy way, but other than that they should be happy they are alive and healthy. Health is what they should be worrying about not Age or how they look like. What you just said is totally understanding and I hope that every person who worries about their age should definitely consider reading your message.

First | Prev | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last