Message Boards

Topic : Are You Afraid to Age?

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:53:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They say age is just a number, but many people will do just about anything to stay young. Are you afraid to age? How do you stay young in mind and body?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

April 5, 2007, 1:00 pm CDT

ps

and too add to my earlier statement, from my experience of working in nursing homes, I have noticed that age really is all in your mind (mostly). I once knew a lady who would visit her best friend at the nursing home.  The lady would be basically running down the hall, and had more energy than I had at 20 something.  The friend she was there to visit did not talk anymore, and had to be fed, basically did nothing for herself.  I asked the lady with the energy how she did it, and she just simply said, keep your mind young and excersize and you will stay young in your mind.  I know there are circumstances and illnesses that we cannot help, but if you think you are old and wrinkley, then you will be, if you think you are young and beautiful and believe it, then you will be!  our mind is a powerful thing!!!

April 7, 2007, 5:39 am CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: sunshine303

I used to work in Nursing homes and love the elderly with all my heart.  I have worked on an alzheimers unit as well.  What little people know about this disease!  they may not know what they ate for breakfast, or recognize faces, and sometimes their bladder and bowels loose control, but they can feel love!  i know this for a fact, and that is why i loved working with them.  the mean ones and the ones who spit and threw things, they all need love.  My main theory behind the way i think of them is this... they have lived obviously alot longer than us, they have every right to feel the way they do, or act the way they want.  i worked there to make the last few years of their life enjoyable and hopefully they felt some love when i cared for them, because i loved them all as if they were my own grandparents.  they may have forgotten who i even was the next day but i loved them and cared for them just the same.  sometimes it is a relief when they do pass, because we do not want to see them suffer.  do not feel sorry for yourself, just do everything in your power to make the last years of any elderly person their best!!!  They deserve it no matter what.  i no longer work in a nursing home because i cannot afford to take care of my family with what i was being paid, but i do love them all with all my heart and will stand up for them for the rest of my life!!!

sorry for any grammer or spelling, but sometimes i get upset thinking about the way the elderly are treated.

Wow, what a response. You have a special gift !!! A kind heart, and compassion, and wise for your years.To be so understanding of our "elderly". Wish they could bottle up some of what you have inside, in pill form and give out to others. I too have been to the nursing homes to visit, (actually when my own mom was there temporary there, she's not now). The look on their faces, this is not what they thought life would turn out to be. How did they get dealt these cards !!!

To see a kind face, and a warm gesture makes it a little more bearable.

You really have a special gift, maybe there was another position you could check into that would pay more, "Activity Coordinator"? There is so few people that have what you have, true compassion. Maybe that is your true calling "working with the elderly"??????

April 25, 2007, 4:08 pm CDT

Afraid to age.

Not me, I like me ! I am 68 and have never wasted my time worrying about aging.   There are a lot of women my age out there like me  who has aged gracefully. As far as I am aware that was what we were suppose to do. 

It is very hard sometimes to keep a positive nature though, I am single and the men my age want a 'much younger' woman. So I am doomed to stay alone, gee-whiz.. I understand completely why the young women are trying to stay 'young' today and fear the aging process, I think it is mostly the fear of being alone.

Thank You,

cjjehn

April 25, 2007, 6:08 pm CDT

Prepared for the Aging Process

Well, I am 50 and back when I was 21 I started exercising by doing aerobic classes and some weights.  I actually was a smoker back then and traded my smoking in for exercise so I quit cold turkey when I reached my late 20's because exercise and smoking just did not work and I liked exercising better.  In any event to this day I continue to exercise probably harder than ever as I have had a trainer for the past 3 years making sure I lift the heaviest possible.  I have always made sure I went to the gym 4 - 5 x week and never missed more than 2 weeks due to maybe a vacation here or there but even then would find a place to work out here and there.  I have to say being 50 I truly believe all my exercise has paid off as I still wear junior jeans (and yes I am a mother so I was pregnant but exercised during my whole pregnancy).  I have always been aware of what I eat and more so as I have gotten older because the secret is adjusting your caloric intake to much lower as we get older.  Not many people do this and wonder why the pounds add on.  Not only am I in a size 5 jr. jean at 5'6", 128 lbs. but very very rarely do I get sick nor do I have any aches and pains that keep me away from the gym.  I have taken bone density tests and it shows my bones of a young adult (which I am sure is due to weight bearing exercise) and my blood pressure is 110/70 which I believe my cardio workouts helped keeping it in check.  Cholesterol is perfect and such good numbers that my doctor feels it is not imperative for me to take cholestoral tests each year but may every other year.  I had my first child at 38 and had a wonderful pregnancy.  I do not have any education or degree in fitness but have read so much over the years in health and exercise that I have found it is very simple to keep your weight down.  There is no diet all one must remember is a calorie is a calorie and do not go over your caloric intake each day.  One must write what they eat down but when I tell people this they really don't get it.  There is no magic pill, fat free foods and low carb foods can really put on the weight because although they may be low in fat and carbs look at the calories!  So many calories.  In any event since I have worked hard all these years I have also had a few procedures here and there but don't require major stuff like lipo and/or tummy tucks although yes it would be nice but I can live with a little cellulite here and there.  So in the end I have to say that the best way to deal with aging is to start very young and the rewards will pay off by the time you are ready for a AARP membership!

April 25, 2007, 7:23 pm CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

This is way sad but I am 23 and I am already reaking out about getting older!! I am SO insane! I wish I could just forget about aging. I mean I am only 23.

May 10, 2007, 3:13 pm CDT

I'm going to be 50 next Friday and I've been dreading the day for a year or more. Some people just say it's a number and I was thinking today life is becoming more numbers, numbers that I didn't used to concern myself about like my cholestrol numbers, my blood pressure numbers, the numbers on the scale, although that is one that started years ago. I used to be young, free of those numbers and healthy automatically. I'm turning into my parents and in-laws. Oh-h

May 10, 2007, 3:14 pm CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: bethsheb

Well, I am 50 and back when I was 21 I started exercising by doing aerobic classes and some weights.  I actually was a smoker back then and traded my smoking in for exercise so I quit cold turkey when I reached my late 20's because exercise and smoking just did not work and I liked exercising better.  In any event to this day I continue to exercise probably harder than ever as I have had a trainer for the past 3 years making sure I lift the heaviest possible.  I have always made sure I went to the gym 4 - 5 x week and never missed more than 2 weeks due to maybe a vacation here or there but even then would find a place to work out here and there.  I have to say being 50 I truly believe all my exercise has paid off as I still wear junior jeans (and yes I am a mother so I was pregnant but exercised during my whole pregnancy).  I have always been aware of what I eat and more so as I have gotten older because the secret is adjusting your caloric intake to much lower as we get older.  Not many people do this and wonder why the pounds add on.  Not only am I in a size 5 jr. jean at 5'6", 128 lbs. but very very rarely do I get sick nor do I have any aches and pains that keep me away from the gym.  I have taken bone density tests and it shows my bones of a young adult (which I am sure is due to weight bearing exercise) and my blood pressure is 110/70 which I believe my cardio workouts helped keeping it in check.  Cholesterol is perfect and such good numbers that my doctor feels it is not imperative for me to take cholestoral tests each year but may every other year.  I had my first child at 38 and had a wonderful pregnancy.  I do not have any education or degree in fitness but have read so much over the years in health and exercise that I have found it is very simple to keep your weight down.  There is no diet all one must remember is a calorie is a calorie and do not go over your caloric intake each day.  One must write what they eat down but when I tell people this they really don't get it.  There is no magic pill, fat free foods and low carb foods can really put on the weight because although they may be low in fat and carbs look at the calories!  So many calories.  In any event since I have worked hard all these years I have also had a few procedures here and there but don't require major stuff like lipo and/or tummy tucks although yes it would be nice but I can live with a little cellulite here and there.  So in the end I have to say that the best way to deal with aging is to start very young and the rewards will pay off by the time you are ready for a AARP membership!
You must be blessed with good genes also. Count your blessings!

May 24, 2007, 9:29 am CDT

Going through menopauwe

Hi

I am going through menopause, I am 51 years old, and getting the hot flashes, that just won't go away!  Robin was on the  Rachel Ray show, and mentioned that she took Natural Progestrone in a vitamin form 1000mg, but I have looked all over the health stores and can not find this in vitamin form, Progestrone only comes in cream form.  I would like to know if this works the same way, or where I can get the vitamin form of Progestrone. Would appreciate your response!

Thank You

Sarah

June 22, 2007, 2:13 pm CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

I despirately want plastic surgery. Not because I am afraid to age, but because I want to be able to enjoy my life now, at this time.  I have lost over 150 lbs. I hated my body when I was obese and I hid myself away.  Now that I have lost this weight, it is no different. I have so much loose skin that I look deformed, There is no way that I can where shorts or a bathing suit. I cannot even where short sleeved clothes without getting disgusted looks from passerbys. There are many short sleeved clothes that I cannot even fit into because there is too much skin on my upper arms.  I will never be able to afford plastic surgery. What I need is just way too extensive and I can barely make it on my own as is. This is just plain not fair. I lost all that weight, why canI not enjoy my life without it? I don't even know how I will ever find a man that I can be intimate with. I am just disgusting without clothes.

June 24, 2007, 2:18 pm CDT

I am scared to death

Aging may not be that bad if our lives leading to aging has been good years. However, when a husband leaves a wife of 32 years, age 55, nothing prepares her for a new life as a single woman. Everything in my life changed and not for the better. Twelve years since my divorce and Iam still suffering the financial mistakes by my lawyers.  I have wasted years and in the meatime, grown old, now 67.  Finding another man is nearly impossible.  I have been rejected by 77 year old men, who are in far worse shape and looks than I.   Whoever invented the term 'golden year' had to be severely mentally challenged.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last