Message Boards

Topic : Are You Afraid to Age?

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:53:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They say age is just a number, but many people will do just about anything to stay young. Are you afraid to age? How do you stay young in mind and body?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 20, 2007, 1:38 pm CDT

Linda, Linda, Linda

Quote From: oneangelplease

• I am 57 y/o/f/. I have Fibro and therefore I am constantly in pain. I have always looked 20 years younger but due to so much pain I am ageing past my 57 now. I want a face lift and tummy tuck. After two children, my stomach just hangs. I am not ugly by any means, but my husband hasn't touched me intimately in 21/2 years. Talk about insecure!!! I don't want anyone else, I am too afraid to even think of being alone. I am so confused! Linda
Linda,

Why are you allowing yourself to be treated so poorly. You do not deserve to have a husband that does not show you affection. I know of what I speak. I have not had physical contact with my husband for years. I am afraid of divorce since he is sick so I keep going. Please look at your options.

I live in chronic pain with bad knees, bad back and other woes. But, I have learned that sometimes there are things that you can do to make it better. You have to give yourself permission to love yourself first. A tummy tuck and face lift won't help if you do not feel better about yourself. You need an outlet. Do you have any hobbies?

Live life. Love life. You only get one.

September 8, 2007, 7:56 am CDT

you look so happy

Quote From: windsong95

At 56 the only thing I would wish for is a cure for my husbands incurable brain disease. We are very much in love, have 5 grown children, all of whom we are proud of. We make sure we have a yearly get together and the rest of the time my husband and I travel as soon he will no longer be able to. Our lives have had many ups and downs, and has even gone sideways at times. That is life and we have always found ways to overcome our problems. Even now we continue to live life to its fullest and keep searching for a possible cure.
It is clear to see the love you have for each other I am sure that whatever time you have left to be together will not be waisted on self pity. I just pray that after he leaves you will find joy still very much a part of your life. That beautiful face just would not be the same without that smile that almost laughs out loud.

September 8, 2007, 8:08 am CDT

the whole point of aging is...

When I turned 50 my grandmother was 93. She said something to me that I will never forget. She looked at me and said "when I turned 50 I decided that I was old. Honey, that is an awfully long time to be old."

We all reach old at different ages but if we live long enough we all get there. I am beginning to think the whole reason we were built to fall apart, get painful illnesses, look so awful and move so slowly is so that when our time comes we are past ready for death to take us away from it all.

September 9, 2007, 7:53 am CDT

Iam not too young as most of you think

I think that getting older is not so bad as many people thing> Because the more we get older, the more we get experiance.Factuly I thought too much in that and I didnt find any more good things in getting old. you will be surpriesed because Iam still 15. and I feel that I have got over youth age. I dont want to be older. as I have to follow more rules and be more responsable. Iam very jealous of my sister because she is still a child can do many things with out rules and responsibility. I hope to return a child again and Iam very annoyed of being a teenager because Iam getting in many sychological problems which became unpearable. and many times I hope to die to kill all of these fairs and sadness inside me.

September 9, 2007, 1:10 pm CDT

GETTING OLDER IS BAD

I am afraid to age because my life has not what i thought  it would be and i am getting older have not traveled, dont have a great job , terrible marriage . i dont look old or wrinkled life is just passing me by so fast  I am afraid to die because i have not done any thing with my life . thank goodness for my dog he keeps me happy but getting old and he is sick. but he is always happy i take him everywhere with me. i feel like i would like to start over again but i think its to late. by the time i turn around i will be 50 yrs old. and still the same. i afraid of wrinkles, darkness under my eyes, crowfeet, and just feeling old.

October 4, 2007, 12:25 pm CDT

I hate looking in the mirror!

Just seems like yesterday that people were telling me how young I look.  Not any more!  I am 43 and I look 43.  I don't want to look my age!  I have always looked at least 5-10 years younger than my age.  Now when I look in the mirror all I see is puffy eyes, discoloring of the skin and some wrinkles.  I have spent a lot of evenings looking in that mirror and watch the tears roll down my face.  I just don't know how to deal with getting older.  I really don't!

The sad thing is that the men I chose to be by my side are always 14-20 years older.  They are good men. I just don't know whether I actually like them or its because standing next to them is suppose to make me look years younger.  An extremely stupid idea.

I have also lied about my age.  If I don't know the person and they ask, I will tell them that I am 48 so they will be impressed at how young I look.

Someone tell me how I can change my attitude towards growing older!!!

December 18, 2007, 11:09 am CST

I'm going to live to be 100.

I want to live to be 100 because I have this fear that one day, in the future, I'll die on a Tuesday, and E.T. will contact Earth on a Wednesday.  In other words, the world is an amazing place, and I want to hang around as long as I can to see it all.  So I exercise an hour a day; I swim, lift weights, and walk everywhere.  I try to laugh and smile and help others do the same.  I don't smoke, drink, or eat (much) junk food.  I'm male, 44 years old, with arthritis in my right foot, some aches and pains in my back, and some stress at work.  But I look and feel great (most of the time), and most people can't believe that I'm not 10 years younger than my "real age". 

People can choose either to do things that make them healthy and happy, or choose the opposite (animals can't do that!) ... so I choose to be healthy and happy.  Why? (1) Who wants to be unhealthy and unhappy?  (2) I'm going to live to be 100, and maybe see E.T.!  Hope to see you there...

December 18, 2007, 11:41 am CST

100 years old...

P.S.

...and I'm gonna live to be 100, even if it kills me!

December 21, 2007, 3:18 pm CST

Are You Afraid to Age?

I don't think about it. I just try to enjoy life as it is .. worry about the wrinkles later :)

December 21, 2007, 3:25 pm CST

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: peculiarpeople

I don't think about it. I just try to enjoy life as it is .. worry about the wrinkles later :)
great outlook!

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last