Message Boards

Topic : Are You Afraid to Age?

Number of Replies: 121
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:53:05 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
They say age is just a number, but many people will do just about anything to stay young. Are you afraid to age? How do you stay young in mind and body?

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2006, 7:41 am CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: dsutton

You say that you "feel" old. Unless you have serious health issues, taking control of your life means taking control of your emotions and not buying into what the media is trying to sell you. Youth and beauty is not what creates a sense of happiness or balance. When you visit a hospital where patients are on their death bed, you don't go thinking when you walk on your two feet out that hospital door to the outside world and think "poor me". You think "Thank you God!" for giving me a sound mind and body...and somehow you need to think that what is your "worst" feeling day might just be someone's bliss....what would you rather have - tonnes of wrinkles and sagging or a chronic fatal disease where the last thing on your mind is "How do I look....?" but instead "Will I live another day to see the sunshine, or have my kids hug me or eat my favorite dessert? It's ok to feel down and bad some days, we're only human, but you live in a free country where opportunity is all around you, fresh water, food, resources to make your life better. Listen to your favorite song, look through old photos, go bowling, pick up a dry old leaf off the sidewalk and stare at it like you would if you were little again. Just being happy and trying to make other people that are feeling the same way you are will lift your heart - and you won't care about a "face lift" once you get a "spirit lift!" You are a beautiful person and worthy of just experiencing every day like it's a gift....so just take time to enjoy that yummy smell of popcorn while your family watches a movie together and realize....gee I don't have to worry if someone is going to bomb outside of my house - you can relax and give back to the world something special...because I belive you are more then just a person with worries, empower yourself to not buying in....THAT is free and you have access to it 24/7....from someone who thought the same until she stopped living "what if" and started living "why not?"
I DONT FEEL WELL AT ALL I HAVE ALOT OF HEALTH ISSUES THAT I TRY TO FIGHT ON MY OWN I SAY IM GONNA GET OUT OF BED AND WALK AND THE LEGS JUST DONT MOVE I HAVE SOME MENTAL ISSUES ALSO YOU HAVE TO UNDERSTAND I AM BASICALLY HOMELESS AND THAT DOESNT HELP MY MENTAL EITHER I DONT HAVE CLOTHES TO MAKE ME FEEL GOOD ABOUT MYSELF GOODWILL DOESNT ALWAYS HAVE A SIZE FIT FOR ME AND BF OF 5 YEARS JUST DUMPED ME CAUSE HE HAS A JOB AND A PLACE AND I DONT (17 YEARS YOUNGER THAN ME)

October 25, 2006, 1:59 am CDT

Are You Afraid to Age?

Quote From: mimaof2brats1

growing up i though 40 was old now im 52  been depressed all my life and at times wish i would go to sleep and not wake up the pain in my body is so bad  i wish they had a fountain of youth that i could swim in or a vitamin that makes u get younger and look better

If you have been depressed all of your life then no amount of vitamins or a fountain of youth is going to make you feel better.  You say that you are homeless in Dayton at the YWCA.  They have many resources available to you to get the help you need, (case management, individual and group counseling, educational support, goal planning, referals, etc.)  In order for you to begin to heal you need to start with the inside.  You still have many good years left but you have to want to make a difference in your life. 

I speak from experience.  I do understand the hardships of life and I have lived them most of my 43 years.  And unfortunately my children lived them with me.  But I refused to give up.  You have to do it for no one else but you.  And if your BF dumped you for the reason you say he did then he is not a nice person and does not love you unconditionally.  Therefore, he did you a favor and hopefully down the road you will see that you deserve better.  You are living with a group of women that are in the same situation as yours, and some possibly worse.  You need to embrace them and their friendship.  They are your most valuable asset right now.  There is nothing wrong with reaching out and asking for help.  Please do something wonderful for YOURSELF.......reach out, it could save your life.

Your sister in spirit,

Tammy

October 25, 2006, 12:46 pm CDT

fear of aging

I do not fear aging...I fear I will not ever be finacially independent.. I have been blessed with beauty but cursed with anxiety, I try each day to look at the positive ,health and on my way to happiness .I think the more I age the happier I become...Thank You so much for your show.If you ever do a show on anxiety and deppresion holding you back and how someone can help themself please!!!!!! call me

November 13, 2006, 5:29 pm CST

Positive thoughts of aging

Ever since I was a child, I have always looked forward to getting "old". I remember the elderly couples that I used to visit when I was a child, and the beautifut rose gardens which they often tended. To me, as a child, they always seemed so happy and contented, and I thought, I can't wait to be like that one day. It stands to reason then I suppose, that I am an aged care worker, doing Diversional Therapy, and I enjoy being around these wonderful and interesting people, that I at age 53, am not too far away from being. Duskie

December 8, 2006, 10:49 pm CST

teeth

Quote From: faerigal

I can relate as I have gum problems and am not yet 40

I have nightmares about my teeth falling out

Go to a periodontists. Trust me it can save a lot of your teeth

December 9, 2006, 11:53 pm CST

with regards to getting old

At 38, single parent and never married, I felt nobody would take care of me when I reach my old age. Although I’m not afraid but somehow anxious if my son or even my siblings would take care of me. I got my own house but a relative of mine is the one taking care of it since I’m working overseas.

I thought of settling down but I guess women don’t like me. I got 3 failed relationships and the current one is in a verge of loosing it. I think I got the looks that a woman is looking for. I am educated, and currently working in a petrochemical company. I can’t see any problem with me.

I’ll be turning 39 next year but still positive that I could be able to find the woman I’ve been waiting. I'm troubled now that no one would accept me when i reach 40!      

December 11, 2006, 2:21 am CST

Am I afraid to age

Quote From: samuelson2005

If you have been depressed all of your life then no amount of vitamins or a fountain of youth is going to make you feel better.  You say that you are homeless in Dayton at the YWCA.  They have many resources available to you to get the help you need, (case management, individual and group counseling, educational support, goal planning, referals, etc.)  In order for you to begin to heal you need to start with the inside.  You still have many good years left but you have to want to make a difference in your life. 

I speak from experience.  I do understand the hardships of life and I have lived them most of my 43 years.  And unfortunately my children lived them with me.  But I refused to give up.  You have to do it for no one else but you.  And if your BF dumped you for the reason you say he did then he is not a nice person and does not love you unconditionally.  Therefore, he did you a favor and hopefully down the road you will see that you deserve better.  You are living with a group of women that are in the same situation as yours, and some possibly worse.  You need to embrace them and their friendship.  They are your most valuable asset right now.  There is nothing wrong with reaching out and asking for help.  Please do something wonderful for YOURSELF.......reach out, it could save your life.

Your sister in spirit,

Tammy

I am afraid to age only because ageing means the end of the road, death. I was a very dedicated Christian and the thought of going to hell after death terrified me. I know that everyone has their own religious beliefs but i believed that Christianity is the only way to God. Now that I'm 55 and have a few physical chronic ailments death is staring at me right in the face. I dont mean that ageing is bad, because I am enjoying my middle age because of my Grandchildren and my girls growing wiser and wiser. It's the thought of dying. What if there is no Eternal Life to come, or Paradise where we can rest our souls beside the still waters. I guess my faith is not as strong as it used to be and I don't know why. I have suffered from clinical depression for years, maybe that had something to do to erode my faith. Maybe I was always a weak believer and now that I'm coming to the twilight years i have enormous worry about it.  I just hope that I wont go to hell.

Loredana   

December 11, 2006, 1:52 pm CST

HI

Quote From: jamiltri

At 38, single parent and never married, I felt nobody would take care of me when I reach my old age. Although Im not afraid but somehow anxious if my son or even my siblings would take care of me. I got my own house but a relative of mine is the one taking care of it since Im working overseas.

I thought of settling down but I guess women dont like me. I got 3 failed relationships and the current one is in a verge of loosing it. I think I got the looks that a woman is looking for. I am educated, and currently working in a petrochemical company. I cant see any problem with me.

Ill be turning 39 next year but still positive that I could be able to find the woman Ive been waiting. I'm troubled now that no one would accept me when i reach 40!      

Hi. I just read your message. Im a female 45, and I have been married 3 times and I do understand what you are going through. I always tell myself that I  must have the word SUCKER written on my forehead. All of my relationships did not work out, and I went looking for one online, trust me that was not a wise decision, cause this marriage is also failing, so I do know what your going through, but I honestly believe that we just have not found our soulmate yet and he and she is out there, and one day we will find them and be truly happy. If you would like to talk more I would be glad to speak to you. I have msn if you ever decide you want a friend to talk to. Do not give up ever, love is there for you, and the thing I say is it is there loss and our gain...

December 11, 2006, 10:58 pm CST

Thanks

Quote From: fancy1524

Hi. I just read your message. Im a female 45, and I have been married 3 times and I do understand what you are going through. I always tell myself that I  must have the word SUCKER written on my forehead. All of my relationships did not work out, and I went looking for one online, trust me that was not a wise decision, cause this marriage is also failing, so I do know what your going through, but I honestly believe that we just have not found our soulmate yet and he and she is out there, and one day we will find them and be truly happy. If you would like to talk more I would be glad to speak to you. I have msn if you ever decide you want a friend to talk to. Do not give up ever, love is there for you, and the thing I say is it is there loss and our gain...

Hey that was a cool message from a cool woman like you!

I asked myself many, many times “is there something wrong with me?” Do I really know how to handle relationship? My previous one was a distance relationship because she was in New York while I’m here in the Middle East. My current one (which is on the verge of breaking-up) is as well a distance relationship because she's in UK.

I should say that it was my fault of not telling her first & foremost that I got a 6 year old kid. My only purpose of not letting her know about it was so crystal clear that “she might reject” me because of me being a father to a 6 year old kid. I was just waiting for the right time (I told her) for me to be able to spill the beans BUT my “trusted friend” based in UK as well told her instead of I telling her.

That’s my dilemma now. I courted her for less than a month and i was able to win her heart two days before my holiday last August. 

She admitted during our phone conversation that she was indeed pressured when I asked her that I should be able to know her answer if I win her heart or not before my departure last August 15. She said YES on the 13th.  

My intention was clear of winning her heart. Since our last phone conversation, we talked of her holiday next year on May. It seems to me that BETRAYAL is the issue?

We have a lot of things in common and I thought she was the one that I’ve been waiting for. She’s 34 and I don’t know which way our relationship is going.

Do you think we still have a chance?

Thanks for your invitation, it's a good idea. I hope of talking to you soon. 

Thank you.

December 12, 2006, 1:03 am CST

Turning 40 and can't wait!

I will be turning 40 the last day of the year and I can't wait.  It has been a rough 30's.  I will turn 40 on Sunday and on Friday the 5th of Jan. I will be going in for the Gastric Bypass surgery that I have been planning and working on for over a year and a half.  I am ready to get it over with and move on with my life and be healthy.  So, as for the question, no it doesn't bother me right now to turn older.  It beats the alternative!

DJ

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last