Message Boards

Topic : Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:58:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a baby is a major life change and postpartum depression can affect any woman who is pregnant, has had a baby, miscarried, or ended a pregnancy. Share advice and support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 21, 2007, 6:23 pm CDT

alone

Hi everyone, I dont know where to start I have struggled with depression for about 15 yrs and anxiety and ptsd for about 7 yrs.  After the birth of my second child I had ppd, i am now preg wth num 3, im so worried, I am of course depressed as normal, not on meds and freaking out about after the baby is born.  Everyone says get in treatment, i have been in treatment nothing seems to help the symptoms just persist, i know that  I would never harm my children but I know they see how unhappy i am and that I know hurts them, which makes me more sad......

May 23, 2007, 9:42 am CDT

i had ppd with my3rd not 4th

Quote From: karminy

Hi everyone, I dont know where to start I have struggled with depression for about 15 yrs and anxiety and ptsd for about 7 yrs.  After the birth of my second child I had ppd, i am now preg wth num 3, im so worried, I am of course depressed as normal, not on meds and freaking out about after the baby is born.  Everyone says get in treatment, i have been in treatment nothing seems to help the symptoms just persist, i know that  I would never harm my children but I know they see how unhappy i am and that I know hurts them, which makes me more sad......
i had svere ppd with my 3rd baby and had none w/ my 4th but i was terrified i would feel free to email me i have a support group if you care to talk,imkays2003@yahoo.com

June 11, 2007, 8:16 pm CDT

Its ok to be sad

Quote From: karminy

I have suffered from depression since the birth of my 2nd child (12years ago). I have been on medication off medication on medication and so on.  I found that the best way to handle my depression was counselling, just talking and getting things off of you chest is better than any pills.  Your Gp is the best place to arrange counselling.  I am me and you are you be proud of who you are.

June 13, 2007, 11:26 am CDT

Men also can get postpartum depression

I actually read that in a new study, it is men that are also getting postpatrum depression and not just women, It is a very interesting article.

http://medsocial.com/blog.aspx?blogaction=viewblog&show=515

June 18, 2007, 10:07 am CDT

a problem! serious or normal?

Hello

I am a teacher in a daycare, and have about 20 3 and 4 year olds in my class.  There is this 1 little boy who has recently (within the last 5 months) been obbsessed with touching, licking and kissing other children.(boys and girls) He sometimes tells them to pull there pants down and other times he just sticks his hand down their pants. He still sleeps in his parents room, because they live in a 1 bedroom apartment and his uncle has moved in with them. The reason why I am asking for advice is because today he took a little girl under the table as we were getting ready for lunch and took her clothes off.  When we asked her if he had touched or licked her she said no, but who knows what he did.  Anyway if anyone has any suggestions on what his problem might be or if this is normal for a 4 year old, it would be appreciated.     Thanks!

June 21, 2007, 9:47 pm CDT

Severe PPD

I have been struggling with ppd for the last 13 months. I was hospitalized for 2 months for my ppd and while in there, my husband had said that he wanted a separation from me. Recently we have been arguing much more frequently and i can't stand it anymore. He doesn't want to come home from work and now he is working weekends. I need a break from the kids once in awhile to and he just can't understand that. I am with them all day long. By the time he gets home from work they are both in bed. I have gone and talked to my GP and have had my meds increased, but that doesn't seem to be working. I am constantly have bad thoughts of wanting to die. and i have even made a plan and everything. I have not told my GP about this plan because i am afraid that she will send me back to "ONE FLEW OVER THE COO-COO'S NEST" I can't go back there again. I attempted suicide 2 times while in the hospital. and i don't want to go back. If anyone has any methods on how to deal with this let me no. Thank you

June 23, 2007, 5:22 pm CDT

Not normal!

Quote From: njerseygirl

Hello

I am a teacher in a daycare, and have about 20 3 and 4 year olds in my class.  There is this 1 little boy who has recently (within the last 5 months) been obbsessed with touching, licking and kissing other children.(boys and girls) He sometimes tells them to pull there pants down and other times he just sticks his hand down their pants. He still sleeps in his parents room, because they live in a 1 bedroom apartment and his uncle has moved in with them. The reason why I am asking for advice is because today he took a little girl under the table as we were getting ready for lunch and took her clothes off.  When we asked her if he had touched or licked her she said no, but who knows what he did.  Anyway if anyone has any suggestions on what his problem might be or if this is normal for a 4 year old, it would be appreciated.     Thanks!

June 26, 2007, 7:55 am CDT

A matter of degree

Quote From: foobuzz

His behaviour, to me, seems beyond the normal exploration and curiosity typical to that age ( You show me yours, I'll show you mine, is a typical 4 year old's game). His behaviour stands out as a preoccupation, as if he is re-enacting adult behaviour he has witnessed.

Report his behaviour to CPS, and let them investigate. Meanwhile, gently correct the child in class - not with harsh words or rough treament, but with a matter of fact, " Charles, this is not a game we play in class" "Charles, we keep out hands to ourseleves" "charles, in class we wear our clothes"

No over-reactions or in-depth explanations are necessary, just a quiet statement of what the expectations for classroom behaviour are.

Let CPS investigate the family situation, and stay out of that except for asking for the investigation.

June 26, 2007, 8:03 am CDT

You need a break?

Quote From: annabear2003

I have been struggling with ppd for the last 13 months. I was hospitalized for 2 months for my ppd and while in there, my husband had said that he wanted a separation from me. Recently we have been arguing much more frequently and i can't stand it anymore. He doesn't want to come home from work and now he is working weekends. I need a break from the kids once in awhile to and he just can't understand that. I am with them all day long. By the time he gets home from work they are both in bed. I have gone and talked to my GP and have had my meds increased, but that doesn't seem to be working. I am constantly have bad thoughts of wanting to die. and i have even made a plan and everything. I have not told my GP about this plan because i am afraid that she will send me back to "ONE FLEW OVER THE COO-COO'S NEST" I can't go back there again. I attempted suicide 2 times while in the hospital. and i don't want to go back. If anyone has any methods on how to deal with this let me no. Thank you
Of course you need a break. Get a sitter and set out a plan for time to yourself.

It can be time every day, a day a week, or a few days a week, whatever suits your mood and budget.

Take that time. Take a class or leave the time unstructured. Take a NAP!

If hubby is so stressed out by your unhappiness that he can't face it, or admit your needs without having to face your unhappiness, you are going to have to care for yourself. He will probably be a better husband when he is not feeling so threateneds, despairing and inadequate to deal with the changes in you. If he knew better, he'd do better, but he doesn't. So acknowlege your needs and TAKE what you need.

A happier you is an investment not only in yourself but your whole family. Take that time, get that sitter. Recharge your batteries, mothering is hard, hard work. And take your vitamins in additions to your meds. Good nutritions will help you rebound and deal with all the stress and the feeling that you are at the end of your rope.

June 26, 2007, 11:21 am CDT

Misnomer

Quote From: johnnyoc

I actually read that in a new study, it is men that are also getting postpatrum depression and not just women, It is a very interesting article.

http://medsocial.com/blog.aspx?blogaction=viewblog&show=515

Men do not get postpartum depression. Men may be stressed and depressed after the arrival of a new baby, but this is an adult situational reaction, Men do not get pregnant and do not given birth. Women suffer depression from physical changes related to a physical condition.

Men may be stressed and tired, but do not suffer loss of blood or hormonal disruptions affecting brain function.

Men may require treatment, but it is not the same syndrome.

First | Prev | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last