Message Boards

Topic : Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:58:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a baby is a major life change and postpartum depression can affect any woman who is pregnant, has had a baby, miscarried, or ended a pregnancy. Share advice and support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

July 11, 2007, 10:10 am CDT

How do you cope?

How do you cope with postpartum depression? What works best for you, a walk, talking to someone, writing in a journal, seeing a counselor, or something else? Ive had to deal with a lot during my pregnancy (from hyperemesis, no family support, financial trouble and getting my condo taken away and kicked out of my mother-in-laws house) and after (my baby had a life threatening condition, chronic lung disease). I try to deal with my depression but sometimes its hard to bear especially with no one really to talk to about it. What would you recomend i try?

July 22, 2007, 7:52 pm CDT

Getting help

Quote From: ekhaase

How do you cope with postpartum depression? What works best for you, a walk, talking to someone, writing in a journal, seeing a counselor, or something else? Ive had to deal with a lot during my pregnancy (from hyperemesis, no family support, financial trouble and getting my condo taken away and kicked out of my mother-in-laws house) and after (my baby had a life threatening condition, chronic lung disease). I try to deal with my depression but sometimes its hard to bear especially with no one really to talk to about it. What would you recomend i try?

I think you should talk to someone.  If you have no one to talk to then see a counselor at Unioned Counseloring Service in your town.  Writting in a journal helps get the feelings out of you to help you understand and to help you to deal with what is borthering you.  Write how you feel and what is wrong.  Say anything because you are the only one that will read it. 

I will listen to you if you ever need to talk. 

July 23, 2007, 8:09 am CDT

help

Quote From: m_catgirl

I knew from the begining when I gave birth to my 2 year old daughter that something wasn't right.  I knew all the signs, read all the info.....but was determined to "fix" myself. I mean...I had everything I ever wanted: A loving husband, beautiful baby, nice house, a stayathome mom....My daughter was 9 months old before I broke down and went to see my doctor.  I actually scheduled the visit as a "physical" because I was too embarassed to say "I think i have PPD".  Keep in mind this is at the height of the Brooke Sheilds/Tom Cruise debate!  When I became pregnant again, I was smarter and started  taking the meds as a precaution the 2nd time around.  Eventhough my OB essentially laughed at me for "pretreating" something that may not even be an issue this time.  I'm feeling great now.  Love to talk to anyone else with this problem.
I am 21 yrs. old, and I just gave birth 5mths. ago to my first baby, Gage.  I know I have ppd, but when I asked my doctor about it he said that most younger women go through it and it should go away before the 6th month. Well, it hasn't.  He told me to come back if I felt as if I would hurt my child, or if I felt I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning... Well, first, I have to get up in the morning I have a baby to take care of....my fiance works midnight shift......Now, I'm scared to ask my dr. again because he blew me off the first time.....I'm just sooooo unhappy.

July 23, 2007, 6:37 pm CDT

HI

I WASN'T TOLD I HAD BIPOLOR UNTIL A FEW YEARS AGO ! I'M 36 , NOW LOOKING BACK I CAN SEE IT . I HAVE MY UPS AND DOWN AND TRY MY HARDEST TO GET THROUGH EACH DAY , AND TRYING TO TAKE CARE OF MY 4 YEAR OLD SON . WHEN I SEE OTHER SINGLE MOMS THAT HAVE 3 AND 4 KIDS I DON'T KNOW HOW THEY DO IT . I KNOW I CAN'T DO IT , MY SON IS ENOUGH .

July 24, 2007, 8:37 pm CDT

First thing, Congratulations

Quote From: gagesmomma

I am 21 yrs. old, and I just gave birth 5mths. ago to my first baby, Gage.  I know I have ppd, but when I asked my doctor about it he said that most younger women go through it and it should go away before the 6th month. Well, it hasn't.  He told me to come back if I felt as if I would hurt my child, or if I felt I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning... Well, first, I have to get up in the morning I have a baby to take care of....my fiance works midnight shift......Now, I'm scared to ask my dr. again because he blew me off the first time.....I'm just sooooo unhappy.

Congratulations on the birth of your baby.

Next thing, as a young mum what you could be suffering is the "baby blues".  It is a little milder than the full-blown depression.  Having said that though, talk to another doctor.  Get a second opinion, and talk to a woman doctor if you can.  Tell them what you are feeling.  I found I had a good result when I said I wasn't coping as well as I thought I should, and the doctor got me a referral to a psychiatrist straight away.

Having a baby, as you now know, is exhausting and that just makes your feelings stronger.  But, trust in your instincts and if you feel it could be more, then do something about it.  It would be a great tragedy if you hurt yourself or your baby.  Find a doctor who's more willing to help you, and stand up for your rights as a patient.  You deserve a second opinion.

Take care.  Get some rest when the baby sleeps.  That does help, trust me.  I've been there.  It amazed me how a good night's sleep made me feel. 

Bye from Australia.

Ruthieg

July 25, 2007, 12:15 pm CDT

me too!

Hello everyone, I'm 26 yrs old, married, and have three kids and during and after my pregnancies I had depression panic attacks and anxiety. my youngest son has 5 months and I still sometimes feel like before sometimes I have to hide from my children so they don't see me crying or scared.

September 5, 2007, 4:45 pm CDT

My Babies

It has been almost 11 years since I had my first baby. I am not ure what all the emotions were that I went through. But I had my second baby 15 months ago and let me tell u it was bad. I waited it out though. I knew what I was feeling and why so I figured it had to go away. But when she was 25 weeks I found out I was 8 weeks pegnant again. So now my third is 3 months old and we have went through a lot with her. I didnt get to bring her home until she was 11 days old and then back in the hospital again for surgery. I feel guilty that I have the feelings again towards her. I love my girls dearly so I just keep thinking things will get better. It is hard when you are the only person they are with all day. Dad works from 7:30am-7:30pm and since he wrecked his car he drives mine for work. So now we just stay home day in and day out with hardly any visitors. My oldest just started middle school shes a big help but I cant rely on her to much. But I just keep telling myself things will get better.

September 7, 2007, 10:08 am CDT

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Quote From: sashi3000

Hello everyone, I'm 26 yrs old, married, and have three kids and during and after my pregnancies I had depression panic attacks and anxiety. my youngest son has 5 months and I still sometimes feel like before sometimes I have to hide from my children so they don't see me crying or scared.

Hi!  I am pregnant for the first time, and I'm going through the same thing.  Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with it.  I'm taking medication for depression, but I don't know if it is helping.

September 7, 2007, 10:12 am CDT

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Quote From: m_catgirl

I knew from the begining when I gave birth to my 2 year old daughter that something wasn't right.  I knew all the signs, read all the info.....but was determined to "fix" myself. I mean...I had everything I ever wanted: A loving husband, beautiful baby, nice house, a stayathome mom....My daughter was 9 months old before I broke down and went to see my doctor.  I actually scheduled the visit as a "physical" because I was too embarassed to say "I think i have PPD".  Keep in mind this is at the height of the Brooke Sheilds/Tom Cruise debate!  When I became pregnant again, I was smarter and started  taking the meds as a precaution the 2nd time around.  Eventhough my OB essentially laughed at me for "pretreating" something that may not even be an issue this time.  I'm feeling great now.  Love to talk to anyone else with this problem.

Do you have any pointers on getting through this?  I'm pregnant with my first baby, and I can't eat or sleep.  I am seeing my doctor - I was already on meds for depression - but I feel like it will never get better!  I'm so scared that I'll never come out of this.

September 11, 2007, 3:29 am CDT

Depresion :(

Hi

I am a 25 year old girl from Norway ... And i look at drphil every day.. after i gave birth to my daughter i got depresions, and i have now gone to treatmrnt in 3 years.. I m really sick at times, an sometimes is hard even go to the mailbox out side the door..

So if anyone want to talk about depresions or anything at all.. so just write :)

First | Prev | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | Next | Last