Message Boards

Topic : Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:58:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a baby is a major life change and postpartum depression can affect any woman who is pregnant, has had a baby, miscarried, or ended a pregnancy. Share advice and support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 7, 2007, 11:39 am CST

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

What is postpartum depression? I don't get what that is and the difference between Depression? Please let me know.

Whitney

February 7, 2007, 11:43 am CST

Msn messenger?

Does anyone have msn messanger? If so please let me know so I can add you. It's easier for me to talk on msn. But yeah my msn thing is

MacaroniAndCheese93@hotmail.com

Thanks

Whitney

February 8, 2007, 2:58 pm CST

Hi there, Whitney

Quote From: macaronicheese

What is postpartum depression? I don't get what that is and the difference between Depression? Please let me know.

Whitney

Post-Partum Depression, or in Australia it's called Post-Natal Depression, is what a woman can feel after the birth of a child.  Once it's properly diagnosed and treated, it generally goes away after the birth hormones have settled back to normal.  Which is why it's called PostPartum Depression.  There are exceptions, however, when a woman doesn't get proper treatment and the depression can spiral into psychosis.  I hope I've answered your question and not created more.

Has your new medication started to work yet?  Or are you still getting those side effects?  Take care.  See you back on the other board.  Bye for now.

Ruthieg

Australian Flag Hooroo Family Portrait 

February 17, 2007, 5:36 pm CST

Postpartum depression

About 2 years ago I was diagnosed with post partum depression.  It was the worst thing I have ever gone through.  I first started having symptoms right after my daughter was born.  I could not stop crying.  Everything started to get at me.  I just had this dark cloud of guilt over my head.  I put up with all of this for about 5 months. I don't know how I did and I don't know how my husband even put up with me.  Then I started getting panic attacks.  When that happend I knew something was wrong.  So I went to my doctor and told him what I was going through.  I was put on 20 mg of Prozac a day.  Which has helped me so much.  I am so glad that I got the help when I did.  Because if I hadn't got the help I needed, I know I would have just gotten worse.  My PPD got so bad that I even started having feelings of resentment towards my daughter.  I had horrible thoughts of even hurting her.  The only thing I remember telling myself is I would kill myself before I did anything that would hurt her.  I know now that is why I kept my depression a secret for so long.  I was afraid of telling anyone what I was going through.  I thought my husband would think badly of me.  And I thought others would think I was a bad mother.  I was afraid everyone would think I was crazy.  But the best thing I have ever done for myself is getting the help I needed.  PPD is a serious illness that should never be taken lightly.  If anyone is going through it they should get help.  I know there are so many women going through it and they don't even know it.  To this day I wonder why more doctors don't talk about this with their patients.  It's something every women should know about if they are expecting a child.  Because it can happen to any one.  Trust me if you have PPD or know someone who does I advise you to talk to your doctor.  Because just taking a pill a day will change your life dramatically.  It will not only help you but the others around you.  If anyone has any questions feel free to email me.  I don't know all the answers but I am willing to help anyone in any I can.- Anita  anitav2001@msn.com

February 20, 2007, 7:42 pm CST

post-natal depression

There were a series of precipitating events leading up to my 32wk pre-term labour. Amongst the father leaving me 5 months pregnant, my grandmother died and I had a face down fall in my lounge room. So why wouldn't I go early with all the stressors I experienced!

My son was strong and healthy despite his earliness, but remained in NICU for 4 wks. I was sent home on day two after my natural delivery so it was a daily 40 min bus ride alone to be with him. After bringing him home the slow spiral into PND crept up on me.

First I began isolating myself, keeping the curtains drawn, crying all day, barely wanting to interact with my newborn, struggling to eat and craving more sleep just to escape.

The hollowness deepened and soon I was aggitated by little things that fell outside my strict routine of control. I had a good, happy baby but If my son even squeeked I would become distressed, all things seemed over exaggerated in seriousness. I would boil up in anger and feel like hurting my baby, just for some rest.

I would recognise this and put him safely in his crib while I had anxiety attacks in my lounge.

Finally my health nurse gave me the Edinborough scale, a series of questions designed to highlight pre- cursurs to PND. I realised this was my chance to let someone know just how serious it was in the darkest folds of my mind. She reccommended seeing my GP for medication.

I am a student of Holistic Counselling and opted for natural medicine to aid my recovery. This consisted of weekly counselling sessions, weekly Traditional Chinese Medicine treatment inc massage and herbs that addressed my anxiety and monthly homeopathy treatment.

My son was 6 mths before I got help and extremely lucky my post natal psychotic thoughts of harming him never saw light. I was very close several times but a higher force was protecting us both.

We are both healthy now, he's a rambunctious 2 yr old with great spirit, humour and inventiveness and I along for the best ride of my life!

February 27, 2007, 6:36 pm CST

Baby blues? I don't know

Hi, I'm a 29 year old married mom of 2, my oldest is 17 months and I have a 7 week old as well.  I'm about to go back to work after maternity leave and for the past few days I have been feeling very, well, I guess the best word to describe it is flat and hopeless.  It only seems to hit me at night, after the kids are asleep and my husband and I are watching TV at night. Then it feels like this black cloud just rolls in over me and then I start to panic because I can't shake the feeling off.  I am by nature a very upbeat, happy person and it freaks me out to have these hopeless feelings and not be able to "snap out of it".  After I get some sleep and as long as I keep busy, it seems to go away but then like clockwork it comes back every night.  I miss being happy most of the time!  I guess I have a lot of contributing factors to this, I'm active duty military stationed overseas away from all of my family and friends so it feels very isolating sometimes but STILL, we've been here almost 2 years and I haven't felt this way before.  Any ideas on how to shake this?  I'm getting a little desperate here.  And is this PPD or just a moderate case of baby blues?  I don't know....I am reluctant to go to the doctor about it because I don't want to just be thrown on some medication to deal with this that I may not need....any tips from other moms who have felt like this?  I have a loving husband and two BEAUTIFUL children and I am very blessed, I know this, but that hopeless feeling really bothers me when it comes.   I think it will probably get better when I go back to work and the gym and keep busy...sometimes just venting helps.  Anyway, thanks for the input anybody!

February 28, 2007, 1:35 pm CST

You are a wonderful asset to your country

Quote From: activedutymom

Hi, I'm a 29 year old married mom of 2, my oldest is 17 months and I have a 7 week old as well.  I'm about to go back to work after maternity leave and for the past few days I have been feeling very, well, I guess the best word to describe it is flat and hopeless.  It only seems to hit me at night, after the kids are asleep and my husband and I are watching TV at night. Then it feels like this black cloud just rolls in over me and then I start to panic because I can't shake the feeling off.  I am by nature a very upbeat, happy person and it freaks me out to have these hopeless feelings and not be able to "snap out of it".  After I get some sleep and as long as I keep busy, it seems to go away but then like clockwork it comes back every night.  I miss being happy most of the time!  I guess I have a lot of contributing factors to this, I'm active duty military stationed overseas away from all of my family and friends so it feels very isolating sometimes but STILL, we've been here almost 2 years and I haven't felt this way before.  Any ideas on how to shake this?  I'm getting a little desperate here.  And is this PPD or just a moderate case of baby blues?  I don't know....I am reluctant to go to the doctor about it because I don't want to just be thrown on some medication to deal with this that I may not need....any tips from other moms who have felt like this?  I have a loving husband and two BEAUTIFUL children and I am very blessed, I know this, but that hopeless feeling really bothers me when it comes.   I think it will probably get better when I go back to work and the gym and keep busy...sometimes just venting helps.  Anyway, thanks for the input anybody!

Congratulations for the work you're doing.  Your children are very close together in age, so it's really no wonder you feel like that at the end of a day.  You are completely exhausted and away from your extended family and friends.  Do you have a support network set up where you're working?  Are you able to leave the kids and go for a walk on your own for a little while?

I would suggest you go to a doctor and tell them how you're feeling.  You might not need medicating, but wouldn't you rather know for sure?  You owe it to yourself to make sure you're okay.  The feelings do pass.  I had Post-Natal Depression 6 years ago with my first child.  I also recovered after about 12 months.  It's possible that once you go back to your paid job, your feelings will change, without the need for medication.

He is a wonderful, precocious boy who started his first year at Grade School this year.  I also have two other children, a girl who's 3 and a baby boy who's 6 months old.  They are the light of my life and keep me going when my eldest is driving me up the wall, lolz.

Here's something else that was suggested to me, but I couldn't do it.  Lock yourself in the bathroom for an hour with your favourite music and some aromatherapy oils, and have a bath to relax(that is, of course, if  you have a bathtub).  Leave your children in the care of a capable adult, if your husband is unavailable, and just unwind.  Pamper yourself for a change.  You deserve it.

Keep up the good work, wherever you are.  Take care.  Bye from Australia

Ruthieg

Hooroo Australian Flag Family Portrait Military 

February 28, 2007, 1:46 pm CST

Quote From: activedutymom

I'm glad you mentioned the gym. You sound like you were probably a very active person before having this baby. Your brain was quite possibly very used to the hormones and chemicals that exercise releases.  And pregnancy can knock those things all out of balance and that easily causes these feelings.

I had PPD too...I took Lexepro (sp) for a while, but when I was well enough I started walking everyday again and that really helped...it got easier each day once I started getting consistent exercise.

This might not be true for all, but it's just a thought I have on this.

February 28, 2007, 2:57 pm CST

Quote From: ruthieg

Congratulations for the work you're doing.  Your children are very close together in age, so it's really no wonder you feel like that at the end of a day.  You are completely exhausted and away from your extended family and friends.  Do you have a support network set up where you're working?  Are you able to leave the kids and go for a walk on your own for a little while?

I would suggest you go to a doctor and tell them how you're feeling.  You might not need medicating, but wouldn't you rather know for sure?  You owe it to yourself to make sure you're okay.  The feelings do pass.  I had Post-Natal Depression 6 years ago with my first child.  I also recovered after about 12 months.  It's possible that once you go back to your paid job, your feelings will change, without the need for medication.

He is a wonderful, precocious boy who started his first year at Grade School this year.  I also have two other children, a girl who's 3 and a baby boy who's 6 months old.  They are the light of my life and keep me going when my eldest is driving me up the wall, lolz.

Here's something else that was suggested to me, but I couldn't do it.  Lock yourself in the bathroom for an hour with your favourite music and some aromatherapy oils, and have a bath to relax(that is, of course, if  you have a bathtub).  Leave your children in the care of a capable adult, if your husband is unavailable, and just unwind.  Pamper yourself for a change.  You deserve it.

Keep up the good work, wherever you are.  Take care.  Bye from Australia

Ruthieg

Hooroo Australian Flag Family Portrait Military 

Thanks for the tips, I just called and made an appointment with my doctor after reading your post.

I DO have somewhat of a support network here but it's kind of wierd because I don't feel like I can ask people for things (like watching the kids) that I would if I were back home.  Most of my friends here are wives of active duty members and have their hands full with their own kids.   I guess I'm lucky that I'm active duty too and once I go back to work the kids be in daycare here on base and I can just go straight to the gym after work and not feel guilty about leaving them.  As much as I miss my kids when I'm at work, that is one benefit that I get, consistent daycare for them.

Good idea on the bath, I think I'll make my husband watch them when he gets home tonight and pamper myself a bit if I can shut out the noise of the kids.  I kind of feel guilty about needing time to myself, is that wierd? 

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions.  By the way, I'm stationed in Japan, a long way from home in Missouri.  My guess is that's a big part of my problem.  It's nice to have this as an outlet though. 

Take care, and congrats on the beautiful kids.  I would never change it, I do love being a mom.  In fact, my little girl Madison is walking around in my shoes right now and that always makes me smile.  I think I'll go play with her, she always cheers me up.  The baby (a boy, Brady) is actually sleeping right now so that's kind of nice for me to get to spend time alone with my big girl, she needs some exclusive mommy time.  I guess sometimes I need to step back and count my blessings.

February 28, 2007, 3:01 pm CST

Quote From: penny_lady

I'm glad you mentioned the gym. You sound like you were probably a very active person before having this baby. Your brain was quite possibly very used to the hormones and chemicals that exercise releases.  And pregnancy can knock those things all out of balance and that easily causes these feelings.

I had PPD too...I took Lexepro (sp) for a while, but when I was well enough I started walking everyday again and that really helped...it got easier each day once I started getting consistent exercise.

This might not be true for all, but it's just a thought I have on this.

Thanks, I agree. I think exercise will make me feel better, in fact, I'm just itching to get back into a normal routine but it hasn't quite been possible yet.  I think it will as soon as I go back to work and the kids are in daycare and I'll have a chance to get to the gym.

I try to put them in the (very heavy) double stroller  and take them for walks as often as possible but it is still pretty cold out so we don't get out much yet. 

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next | Last