Message Boards

Topic : Dealing with Postpartum Depression

Number of Replies: 188
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 01:58:37 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Having a baby is a major life change and postpartum depression can affect any woman who is pregnant, has had a baby, miscarried, or ended a pregnancy. Share advice and support here.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 10, 2006, 6:38 pm CDT

PPD

I knew from the begining when I gave birth to my 2 year old daughter that something wasn't right.  I knew all the signs, read all the info.....but was determined to "fix" myself. I mean...I had everything I ever wanted: A loving husband, beautiful baby, nice house, a stayathome mom....My daughter was 9 months old before I broke down and went to see my doctor.  I actually scheduled the visit as a "physical" because I was too embarassed to say "I think i have PPD".  Keep in mind this is at the height of the Brooke Sheilds/Tom Cruise debate!  When I became pregnant again, I was smarter and started  taking the meds as a precaution the 2nd time around.  Eventhough my OB essentially laughed at me for "pretreating" something that may not even be an issue this time.  I'm feeling great now.  Love to talk to anyone else with this problem.

August 11, 2006, 10:46 am CDT

RE

Good to hear things are going fine. Most women keep things to themselves because they are embarrassed and there is no need to feel embarressed. Those things just happen and if you want to, you can 'fix' it.

Grtz

August 16, 2006, 11:50 am CDT

RE: PPD

Quote From: m_catgirl

I knew from the begining when I gave birth to my 2 year old daughter that something wasn't right.  I knew all the signs, read all the info.....but was determined to "fix" myself. I mean...I had everything I ever wanted: A loving husband, beautiful baby, nice house, a stayathome mom....My daughter was 9 months old before I broke down and went to see my doctor.  I actually scheduled the visit as a "physical" because I was too embarassed to say "I think i have PPD".  Keep in mind this is at the height of the Brooke Sheilds/Tom Cruise debate!  When I became pregnant again, I was smarter and started  taking the meds as a precaution the 2nd time around.  Eventhough my OB essentially laughed at me for "pretreating" something that may not even be an issue this time.  I'm feeling great now.  Love to talk to anyone else with this problem.

Hello.  I totally understand the embarrassment that goes with feeling PPD.  Everyone watches me being SO happy during my first pregnancy - and then they all assume I'm enjoying my baby and being a new mom.  Like you, I wasn't.  Of course there were some factors like not getting any sleep, being unable to breast-feed right, the baby crying at most everything I did (bathing, lotion).  I suddenly stopped working and feeling like an individual.  Fortunately, we got our newborn daughter some help with gas and improved her eating schedule.  By the time she was 3 months, I was better.  Looks like both of us were sane enough to know we had an innocent baby who needed our care and love.  It's great that you recognized the symptoms and began treatment immediately.  I question your OB's attitude toward your concerns - PPD is not to be ignored or dismissed.  So glad you are standing up yourself and your children.  That first daughter of mine, Alyson, is 18 now; and we have a second daughter, Hayley, now 13.

I continue to struggle with depression symptoms and am in the process of getting more treatment.  Although I am 50 now, I still remember lots about those first years.

Your friend, Susanpear

August 26, 2006, 6:10 am CDT

Dealing with Postpartum Depression

I had severe PPD, and even though my daughter was born 19 years ago, I still struggle with it every day.  There have been several times in my life where I have been suicidal, and I still have those episodes.

August 27, 2006, 12:45 pm CDT

It isn't too late

Quote From: kwindshawn

I had severe PPD, and even though my daughter was born 19 years ago, I still struggle with it every day.  There have been several times in my life where I have been suicidal, and I still have those episodes.
    I like you suffer with depression.  My question for you is:  Why don't you reach out for help?  Icould not emagine what you are faced with daily.  I totaly feel for you and want you to know that.  I would say give yourself time to get over it .  But hay its been 19 years.  Don't you think its time?

August 28, 2006, 3:26 am CDT

Quote From: katherinep

I like you suffer with depression.  My question for you is:  Why don't you reach out for help?  Icould not emagine what you are faced with daily.  I totaly feel for you and want you to know that.  I would say give yourself time to get over it .  But hay its been 19 years.  Don't you think its time?
It is tough to feel this way day in and day out-there are days now where living is just a burden.  Especially here lately-my daughter has been a handful lately and there are days I just don't want to deal with it anymore.  I have been through years of counseling and medication and tried to be happy, but sometimes I think there's more to it than just having kids.  I would love to feel good-I don't know how that feels anymore-and the damage this has done to my daughter as well.  Most days, I don't feel this burden will ever be lifted off my shoulders-and the feedback I get from family doesn't help-to them, it is my fault.  So I do the best I can with what I have-but there are many days especially here lately that I pray for this to be over-I can't see the point of living if I am going to be miserable the rest of my life.  I don' t know what happened-having kids has totally and permanently thrown my body out of whack-and some of these "experts" should know that for some of us it never ends.

August 28, 2006, 3:30 am CDT

Post Partum Depression

Hi!

I have struggles with PPD for three and a half years now.  After my first daughter was born, I was diagnosed with PPD.  I took medications and was fine.  It took me 10 months to get the courage to go to the doctor. 

After my second daughter was born, I was back on the medication but it didn't work.  They even doubled the dose.  I have now been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (their births were both c-sections. There is more to the story but it is very long!).   I have no idea how to get over this.  I am trying!  I have weeks where I can't do anything.  I don't want to get out of bed.  I am having suicidal thoughts but wouldn't actually do it (I don't think).  I want to see my kids grow up.  Thanks for listening!

August 31, 2006, 9:55 pm CDT

Hang in there...

Quote From: kelly661

Hi!

I have struggles with PPD for three and a half years now.  After my first daughter was born, I was diagnosed with PPD.  I took medications and was fine.  It took me 10 months to get the courage to go to the doctor. 

After my second daughter was born, I was back on the medication but it didn't work.  They even doubled the dose.  I have now been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (their births were both c-sections. There is more to the story but it is very long!).   I have no idea how to get over this.  I am trying!  I have weeks where I can't do anything.  I don't want to get out of bed.  I am having suicidal thoughts but wouldn't actually do it (I don't think).  I want to see my kids grow up.  Thanks for listening!

I too have suffered from PPD after both my children were born. With both I had c-sections and bad recoveries with each surgery. At first my husband just thought "oh a few weeks and you'll snap out of it" but when I did not, and was depressed, wouldn't hold my firstborn, wouldn't eat (and I am an eater)...I went to seek help. I too am on medications and see a therapist every 2 weeks or so..maybe longer if I am feeling well.  I also have a great support system around me now. Those who know what I struggle with, who are there to listen, help or even learn about it so they can help me out.  It is a slow battle that does not just up and go away but it can be won!!

I agree that you should go to see a counselor. It is great to just get your feelings out in the open or to hear them out loud. Plus maybe join a local mom's group. We found one at meetup.com or yahoo.com in our local area and would meet with mom's once a week to let our kids play and discuss issues such as this.  I hope it works out. You will get through it!

September 3, 2006, 9:58 pm CDT

Quote From: smgrace

I too have suffered from PPD after both my children were born. With both I had c-sections and bad recoveries with each surgery. At first my husband just thought "oh a few weeks and you'll snap out of it" but when I did not, and was depressed, wouldn't hold my firstborn, wouldn't eat (and I am an eater)...I went to seek help. I too am on medications and see a therapist every 2 weeks or so..maybe longer if I am feeling well.  I also have a great support system around me now. Those who know what I struggle with, who are there to listen, help or even learn about it so they can help me out.  It is a slow battle that does not just up and go away but it can be won!!

I agree that you should go to see a counselor. It is great to just get your feelings out in the open or to hear them out loud. Plus maybe join a local mom's group. We found one at meetup.com or yahoo.com in our local area and would meet with mom's once a week to let our kids play and discuss issues such as this.  I hope it works out. You will get through it!

i did not know that depression runs in families. My mom was fine, but not my aunts. I thought I just had really bad PMS. I told my OBGYN that I just felt like one day driving off the edge of the freeway. He had his nurse walk me to the therapist office. He called ahead and they just opened the door and let me in.  After that episode I was sent to a psych(SP?) I have learned a lot since then and the most important thing I needed to realize is that mental illness is just like diabetes or high blood pressure. It's something wrong with the chemicals in your brain. Just like some have problems with thier blood. Go to a reputable Dr., I do take a pill everyday, but i feel pretty good. He also taught me an important lesson about we women....we must learn to take "Me Time". I think of it like a menu. Some days I only get an appetizer ( bath), sometimes and entree(dinner with the girls) Find out what works for you...but definitly talk to a Dr. Stay Cool

September 4, 2006, 8:30 pm CDT

Questions

Quote From: chardonnaykj

i did not know that depression runs in families. My mom was fine, but not my aunts. I thought I just had really bad PMS. I told my OBGYN that I just felt like one day driving off the edge of the freeway. He had his nurse walk me to the therapist office. He called ahead and they just opened the door and let me in.  After that episode I was sent to a psych(SP?) I have learned a lot since then and the most important thing I needed to realize is that mental illness is just like diabetes or high blood pressure. It's something wrong with the chemicals in your brain. Just like some have problems with thier blood. Go to a reputable Dr., I do take a pill everyday, but i feel pretty good. He also taught me an important lesson about we women....we must learn to take "Me Time". I think of it like a menu. Some days I only get an appetizer ( bath), sometimes and entree(dinner with the girls) Find out what works for you...but definitly talk to a Dr. Stay Cool
May I ask what your symptoms were associated with your PPD?  I am a new mom as well--he'll be 11 months here soon.  I am not sure what is "wrong" with me but I sometimes explode.  I feel as though my head spins like that of the Exocist.  I keep thinking that all I need is some alone time, but I'm beginning to wonder is there is something more to  it.  Thank you for sharing anything that may help me decide what "it" is.

First Page | Previous Page | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next | Last