Message Boards

Topic : Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Number of Replies: 84
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 02:17:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you or a loved one had gastric bypass surgery? Share the pros and cons with others contemplating this procedure.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

May 16, 2007, 2:08 pm CDT

Hi......

Quote From: tootalltexan

I just had my GP surgery.Four weeks ago. I made a very impulsive decision. I mentioned it to my husband and boy did he jump on board. I was 305 and 6ft 3in tall. I found out that my insurance covered the surgery and two weeks later I did it. I didn't tell anyone, just my husband so I didn't have a voice of desention to reason with me. I'm embarassed about needing it. I gained 100 lbs after my hysterectomy in 2003 and after always being an athelete, the weight gain was very hard to take. I haven't had sex in almost a year because my normally wonderful supportive great husband told me that I just wasn't sexy anymore and he missed my old curves. I guess fat rolls aren't the curves he wanted me to have. He always talked about the way I use to look. The hysterectomy was accompanied by some post-traumatic stress regarding incest I suffered for many years so I was dealing with depression. The medication for depression contributed to the weight gain too just lots of stuff to deal with. Anyway, these first two weeks I lost 15 pounds and found myself upset that I hadn't lost more after living on soup and jello for two weeks. I can't believe I wasn't satisfyed with the weight loss. I thought it would be quicker. What diet can boost 15 pds off in two weeks. None. I can't say I'm happy or sad about it yet, its too soon. The tube down the nose sucked, the partially inflated lung sucks, eating is such a damn chore. Trying to find enough protein in my diet is work. I can see why malnutrition is a problem associated with GP. Eating is not enjoyable nor will it ever be. But I tell you, having a can of soup last 3 meals instead of one sure is saving on the grocery bill. Once I'm skinny again I'll have a better idea if its all worth it. You know being 6'3" tall (up to 6'6" if I where heels) I get stared and pointed at all the time. Strangers just have to ask me how tall I am and when I tell them they don't believe me. Its happened my whole life but less so since I'm fat. Many years ago my aunt who was 6'5" always told me they are staring because I'm beautiful not because I'm tall. I guess she might have been right, nah. Guess I better get use to all the gawking cause I'm going to be beautiful again, if I ever was.

Its just the beginning.....The weight will start dropping off of you trust me....Be good to yourself!

If I can answer any questions for for I will be happy to do so!

I am now 8 years past the surgery!

Sue

May 23, 2007, 11:01 am CDT

Worried

I am 31 yr old wife mother of 2 daughters 9 and 3. I have been seriously considering having this done but am really worried about complications. I have heard some people have done living wills and made sure there life insurance policies are in place. Does anyone suggest that too?

May 29, 2007, 10:49 pm CDT

Serious Complications

I had the GBS on April 1977, I was told by the drs. that I was the smallest patient they had 250LBS and that it would be easy for me. My surgery took about 3hrs, I was in the hospital for about 5 days. When I got home I started throwing up and I had to use the bathroom about 20 to 30 times a day and when I had a bowel movement no one could go to the bathroom after I did because it smelled like someone had died. I threw up so much that I lost 75 pounds in 90 days, I was so weak that I needed help for everything. On July 4th I was rush to the Er and admitted, they ran test and found out my liver had been affected and all my electrolytes  was screwed up. The dr told my husband that if I did not get the GBS undone that I would die. So they operated  and it took them 7 1/2 hrs to reconnect everything. I was in the hospital for 21 days and on the 5th day I started throwing up again....this time I had a bowel obstruction. I had to keep the tube up my nose but at  least  I did not have to have surgery then.

Six months later I started throwing up bile, I was not having a baby so what was it....another bowel obstruction. I had a bowel obstruction every six months for  the next 10 years, it has been about 20 yrs since my last operation which I was told,  if  I ever have another bowel obstruction I will probably need a bag because I don't have much of my small intestine left. I am now 56yrs old and last year I needed a knee replacement, I had been in so much pain before and after the surgery that I didn't eat much and lost 70 lbs. I also have suffered with FM and had been on oxy and methodone so this March I decided to do "cold turkey" and get off my med, well I didn't know that I would go  to Hell and back. I did not sleep for 8 weeks and did not eat much BUT I ate anything and everything that was sweet. I called a drug center and they said this was common and it would go away.  After everything was done I got on the scale and I gained  30lbs now I have the pain back in my legs and back.  I just thought that now my life was going great, I had lost weight, I was off my med, I even kicked the smoking habit years ago, but now my weight is up and I really don't want to go back on my meds...will the saga ever end??????  Margie

Dr Phil will this ever end for me??All I want is a life with my 8 1/2 grandchildren and my husband of 40yrs or is  it too late for me?

June 2, 2007, 4:07 pm CDT

Lap Band Surgery

I had Lap Band Surgery Nov 2006.  I wouldn't change a thing.  I am losing slow which is okay, since I know that the weight will never come back.  I still have a problem of seeing myself heavier than I really am.  Of course I never saw myself as fat as I was either.

June 4, 2007, 9:30 pm CDT

Considering Lapbanding

Quote From: llydat

I had Lap Band Surgery Nov 2006.  I wouldn't change a thing.  I am losing slow which is okay, since I know that the weight will never come back.  I still have a problem of seeing myself heavier than I really am.  Of course I never saw myself as fat as I was either.

I am looking to talk with people that has had LapBand surgery. I am considering this and have my first appt. on Thursday.

I would like to know more about post-op. were you a true "FOODIE", did you mourn the foods you could not have? 

How did you handle the first weeks of post-op with liquids, soft foods and then advancing onto regular foods.

Problems you may had had too. The good and the bad. Pleasse inform me.

Thanks

June 5, 2007, 12:10 pm CDT

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: lynn2574

Nearly 5 years ago, I was 28 years old, and weighed over 400# (I'm only 5'5").  I had a duodenal switch gastric bypass surgery.  I did great with recovery, and the weight started to melt off.  My diabetes and malignant hypertension disapeared.  I thought I was on my way to a new, healthy me.  After about 1 year, and 130# weight loss, I started having "fainting spells".  My dr. ran every test in the book - including a stress test for my heart.  Everything was normal.  Out of desperation, he ordered an EEG to rule out seizure activity.  Surprise!  It was positive for seizure activity.  I started on medication for them, but they continued to be unstable.  At the same time, I noticed a large, painful bulge in my stomach area.  I had a ventral hernia.  I was scheduled for and had surgery, with a large mesh sewn into my abdominal wall.  The seizures continued, but I thought the hernia was repaired.  A year and 1/2 later, and the hernia recurred.  My weight loss had stopped with me at 240#, but not gaining anything.  I had surgery again in 6/06.  The seizures continued.  Then, my neorologist did a blood test to measure the Vitamin B12 in my system.  It was so low she was surprised I was still functional.  I went on Vit B12 injections daily for a while, then weekly for months, now every 2 weeks forever.  My seizures have stabled out as we explore the malnutrition problems.  Then, My hernia recurred.  I had surgery again on 2/1/07, with a 13 1/2 inch incision, and a large mesh put in.  I thought I was done.  I was wrong.  The hernia has recurred, and I am scheduled for surgery (yet again!) on Tuesday (5/1/07).  Would I do it again?  I dont know.  I just know that I have paid a very high price for my poor eating habits and binging that got me into this situation.  I am frustrated when people talk about WLS being the "easy way out".... there is NOTHING easy about it!    Take if for someone facing major surgery #5 in that many years.  Only the 1st (the WLS) was elective.  Now we just keep trying to put my body back together again.  Not to mention that since my surgery, I fell in love and got married.  And now the complications from my surgery will likely prohibit me from having a child.  I certainly didn't know that was a price I'd have to pay for this surgery!
I had the roux-en Y bypass seven months ago.  I am very happy so far, and have had no problems really.  I thank God for that.  Anyways, I am curious,  what is the specific reason that you no longer will be able to have children? 

July 11, 2007, 2:43 pm CDT

What's your opinion?

Hi, my name is Kayla and I am 16 about to be 17 in August 2007.  I'm 5'9 and weigh about 315. 

I have been overweight my whole entire life, and can't seem to find anything that will work.  I will be a senior and I'm just extremely tired of missing out on numerous things becuase of my weight.  I would like to get the Gastric Bypass Surgery done.  I do not know anyone who has gotten the Gastric Bypass Surgery at such a young age.  What's your opinion?  If the doctors approve me, should I follow through with it?  This is truely something that *I* want.  Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

July 20, 2007, 11:05 am CDT

Hello

Quote From: kaylav7

Hi, my name is Kayla and I am 16 about to be 17 in August 2007.  I'm 5'9 and weigh about 315. 

I have been overweight my whole entire life, and can't seem to find anything that will work.  I will be a senior and I'm just extremely tired of missing out on numerous things becuase of my weight.  I would like to get the Gastric Bypass Surgery done.  I do not know anyone who has gotten the Gastric Bypass Surgery at such a young age.  What's your opinion?  If the doctors approve me, should I follow through with it?  This is truely something that *I* want.  Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hi Kayla I'm 42 and had gastric bypass 6 yrs ago i have lost 327 pounds i feel great if you have any questions please feel free to ask i will help you any way i can

July 24, 2007, 5:29 pm CDT

Lap Banding Apr 2007

Quote From: lmwicker

I am looking to talk with people that has had LapBand surgery. I am considering this and have my first appt. on Thursday.

I would like to know more about post-op. were you a true "FOODIE", did you mourn the foods you could not have? 

How did you handle the first weeks of post-op with liquids, soft foods and then advancing onto regular foods.

Problems you may had had too. The good and the bad. Pleasse inform me.

Thanks

I had the lap banding this spring. When I went in I was 248lbs. Today I am now 224lbs. So far I say it was well worth it. Sometimes I wish I could loose faster but then I know it is better to loose it slowly. By next summer I plan to be where ai was before having kids. 155 lbs is my goal. I do know that I will need surgery to remove the extra skin. But that will be worth waiting for.

As for post-op. I did morn a few things but then I think of what I am getting in return. Better health, a better body, nicer cloths that i can fit in and look good. Plus people treat you differently when your not so big. his I have already noticed.

I was only really on liquids while I was in the hosp. When i got out I had half cup of mashed potatoes.....that was to much but felt ok. You can slowly start to introduce solids but just remember you must chew lots and smaller bits. And you  MUST always remember to drinks your fluids. DO NOT neglect this. I did. and collapsed at work. They had to take me to the hosp for an IV to rehydrate. Now I make sure I drink a minimum of a half a cup of fluids every half an hour.

The band will not be tighten until 4 to 6 weeks after surgery because your tummy is sensitive and will be swoolen for the first couple. They like to wait 4 to 6 weeks so the swelling go down. After that they will inflate the band a little. This doesn't hurt. I didn't even feel it. They filled mine with 4.5 cc's of saline and now it is good.

Keep in mind you may have problems with bread. I switched to totila wraps for sandwiches and this seems to work. And do not drink anything carbinated. it is hard to get the gas out if you do.....lol I tried...

I also noticed that when i do eat and drink I burp more now than ever. I am guessing that is because as the food goes down the air has to come up....

I highly recogmend this lap banding. Listen to you dietician and doctor and everything will go well..

Good Luck

October 5, 2007, 10:01 am CDT

RNY GASTRIC BYPASS SURGERY -2004

I am new here, and just wanted to jump in and say hello!  I had this surgery back on 10-6-2004.  I started at 288lbs and within a year or so, I was down to 158.  Losing the weight was awesome, as I had pretty much always been heavy.  I would do it over again, too.  I have had some complications.  I did have to have a few endoscopies (widening of the opening to the new pouch/stomach).  And I've had an ulcer twice now ... which has caused me to become dehydrated due to lots of vomiting.  I can only eat small portions, and try to eat several times a day.  I even ended up becoming pregnant for the first time (at age 40!!), and although the pregnancy was rough, I had a healthy baby boy on 5/10/07.  If you are considering this surgery, make sure you are emotionally ready.  You will go through a period of depression the first few months from giving up your "best friend" which is food.  I also ended up getting divorced.  Yes, the relationship was somewhat rocky before the surgery, but surgery and its aftereffects pretty much took care of it all.  I thought I had changed for the better - but he told me I changed for the worse.  This is not a magic cure for weight problems - just a tool to help you get going with weight loss.  It is a total lifestyle change, and really isnt for everyone, even if it looks tempting.  Be sure to do alot of research, and even research your surgeon too.  Find out what their stats are, and be sure you are ready to commit to the life change.  Good luck, and if anyone has questions, let me know.  Thanks!

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last