Message Boards

Topic : Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Number of Replies: 84
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 02:17:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you or a loved one had gastric bypass surgery? Share the pros and cons with others contemplating this procedure.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 28, 2007, 5:32 pm CDT

Worst Case Scenario Besides Death

My husband had gastric bypass back in 2004.  His highest weight was 780 lbs.  Needless to say the gave him a 50/50 chance of making it.  The doctor said the surgery went well he stayed in the hospital about a week.  He came home and 2 days later green infection and puss started squirting out of his stomach like something out of a horror movie.  They rushed him back to the ER and he stayed in the hospital for 4 more months due to severe infection.  They had to leave his stomach open and take him to the OR weekly to scrap out his infection.  The had to paralyze him because his insides were so swollen & infected.  He couldn't do anything for a longtime eat, move, or breath on his own.  At one point they (THE DR.) gave up on him.  With GOD in control he slowly came around.  The had to send him to rehab to learn how to walk all over again from not being able to use his legs. His stomach is severly deformed, he no longer has a visible naval due to the infection and how they had to treat it.   They said it was the worst case scenario besides death that they had ever seen.  We thought the worst was over when they released him from rehab.  Aparently all the infection wasn't gone and it caused him to have seizures which he never had before and he now has short -term memory loss from the seizures.  It has helped his quality of life but he had to go through hell to get it.  It is not a decision to make over night.  He is now down to 340 lbs. without the surgery he wouldn't be here, but the surgery itself almost caused him not to be here.  It is not easy by any means just remember that.  My prayers are with all those who wish to take this route and go down that road.  Please feel free to email me at secretbutterfly2@aol.com

November 16, 2007, 4:03 am CST

GB Surgery

Quote From: kaylav7

Hi, my name is Kayla and I am 16 about to be 17 in August 2007.  I'm 5'9 and weigh about 315. 

I have been overweight my whole entire life, and can't seem to find anything that will work.  I will be a senior and I'm just extremely tired of missing out on numerous things becuase of my weight.  I would like to get the Gastric Bypass Surgery done.  I do not know anyone who has gotten the Gastric Bypass Surgery at such a young age.  What's your opinion?  If the doctors approve me, should I follow through with it?  This is truely something that *I* want.  Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Hey, Kayla.  I had a Roux-en-Y gastric bypass in August 2007.  I've lost 51 lbs. so far.  Like you, I've been overweight all of my life.  Junior high and high school were especially tough for me, too.

It's been a so-so experience.  I had my surgery through Surgical Associates in Grinnell, Iowa.  They're one of the best in the country.  They have really taken care of me before, during, and after the surgery.  I had to wait six months before I was able to have th surgery.  It was on account of my depression.  They wanted to make sure that I was mentally ready for the surgery.  It's quite a challenge not to be able to rely on food when I'm depressed.

I actually practiced eating and drinking before I had the surgery.  Like not drinking while eating and waiting 30 to 45 minutes before drinking after a meal.  I made myself eat pureed food for two weeks.  It's also a good idea to find a protein powder you like.  I suggest the Unjury brand.  It's the best tasting brand, in my opinion.  Also, don't forget to start taking a pre-natal vitamin two to three months before surgery.

I hope that helps. :)

November 26, 2007, 6:47 pm CST

gastric bypass surgery options please help.

as i write this im running out of options to weigh and really dont know where else to turn, my older brother had a beneign brain tumor as a kid and had surgery to remove it however he gained weight at a rapid pace, and now at 23 he is about 6 ft and over 400 pounds, he has type two diabetes and has many other complications as a result, my heart bleeds for him everytime i see him,everythings a struggle for him, and exercise and dieting wont work, im afraid at the risks of this surgery if he could even come out of it alive.if he were to take it as he has so many health problems already any input or information where we could find more info on this surgery and or talk to any doctors regarding it i would greatly appriciate, it might just save his life. thanks for your time and any help will be insanely greatly appriciated!

November 29, 2007, 3:49 am CST

Surgery in 1974

Hi I'm Claude and one thing that concerns me is so many i don't feel are informed about not only the long term health issues , similar to what I'm dealing with now and is most likely going to kill me in the long run, but the Mental health issues that go with this and what happens after the weight loss, you can read my blog at www.officialwls.com about my life and the Jejunoileal bypass or J.I.B. in 1974 where all but 12 to 18 inches of the small bowel was taken down, not removed but set to the side where it now is, for more detail on what i had i wrote with reference material a wiki addition at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jejunoileal_bypass

i have big issue with young children having weight loss surgery , it should NEVER be done unless it was really a life and death situation at that point

November 29, 2007, 3:53 am CST

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: kaylav7

Hi, my name is Kayla and I am 16 about to be 17 in August 2007.  I'm 5'9 and weigh about 315. 

I have been overweight my whole entire life, and can't seem to find anything that will work.  I will be a senior and I'm just extremely tired of missing out on numerous things becuase of my weight.  I would like to get the Gastric Bypass Surgery done.  I do not know anyone who has gotten the Gastric Bypass Surgery at such a young age.  What's your opinion?  If the doctors approve me, should I follow through with it?  This is truely something that *I* want.  Any opinions or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

i really think you need to get some counseling hon i had weight loss surgery at a young age, in my opinion you need to wait until you can and can make a better informed decision along with getting good counseling

December 11, 2007, 1:48 pm CST

scared

hello everyone my name is SueEllen and I am a 27 yo mother of 2 and wife of a marine. I am currently getting ready to get the lap rny surgery here in the next 6 months. I will be getting mine done through the Naval Hospital in San Diego. I cannot help but be extremely nervous about the whole thing. I have a major fear of being put to sleep.

I have to lose 20 lbs before I can get the surgery and I am having problems doing so. I changed my eating habits around and I still didn't lose a pound. Can anyone tell me what they did to lose that extra weight?

December 13, 2007, 4:52 pm CST

KUDOS!

Quote From: greeneyegurl

hello everyone my name is SueEllen and I am a 27 yo mother of 2 and wife of a marine. I am currently getting ready to get the lap rny surgery here in the next 6 months. I will be getting mine done through the Naval Hospital in San Diego. I cannot help but be extremely nervous about the whole thing. I have a major fear of being put to sleep.

I have to lose 20 lbs before I can get the surgery and I am having problems doing so. I changed my eating habits around and I still didn't lose a pound. Can anyone tell me what they did to lose that extra weight?

To you for making such a life changing decision!

Start walking, walking, walking.... It is easy, free and you can do it anywhere!!

I had gastric bypass surgery almost 5 years ago, and walking worked for me!

January 22, 2008, 1:21 pm CST

you'll be ok

Quote From: greeneyegurl

hello, oh my goodness I remember having the same feelings and fears your having right now. I had gastric bypass 5 years ago. I have lost 155 lbs and have kept it off. Like you, I was a military wife when I had it done. Being put to sleep is a hard thing to do! You probably fear that you will not wake up??? I felt the same way. I asked my surgeon to give me something to help with the anxiety, and he did. He put it in my IV, and I relaxed instantly. I actualy fell asleep on my own, before they "put me to sleep". Before you have the surgery, try to be vocal about your fears to the people in your family and to your doctors. It realy helps if they know. I also went as far as writing secret letters to everyone. Kind of a "if your reading this i'm dead" it sounds horrible, but it really helped put my mind at ease. I dont think we worry so much about not pulling thru, but did we say everything we wanted to. Does everyone know that you love them? I find that losing weight is hard. Before my surgery I was a strict vegan, and I went to an all womans gym 5 days a week. Plus I was a bartender at one of the busiest restaurants in Central California. The weight would not come off. But, I gained muscle. I went from 40% body fat to 25% in about 30 days. I actually got heavier. I would ask your surgeon about that. Swimming is good. Lots of protein. After your surgery, and after you can eat solids again, protein will be your best friend.

I would also suggest finding a support group. These meetings are amazing. I had a emotional breakdown after my surgery, I had lost 40 lbs in less than 30 days, I couldnt eat, drink or smoke. All the crutches I had used in the past we not an option anymore. I actualy ran my car out on to the flight line at the base we were stationed at. My best friend found this group, and made me go to the meeting. There were women there that had been where I was and knew how I was feeling. Some, it had been 5 years, and others were getting ready to have the surgery. I had to stand up, say my name, how long it had been since my procedure and if I would do it again if I had the chance. I told them 30 days, 40 lbs and HELL NO!  I wanted a smoke, and a bowl of chili!! They thought this was the funniest thing ever. But, I meant it. They gave me the best advise ever, "If you want chili, Amanda, have chili. But one bean at a time, see how your new stomach will react, and if you want a smoke, have one. You know its gonna kill you eventually" I came out of that meeting feeling like I had spent the last month over re-acting. I needed to relax, Its like feeding your baby real food for the first time. Pea's for a week, yams for a week. See how your gonna react to it.

Anyhow, the base your stationed at should have a gym, and a dietician. And its free! Go for walks, eat right. Dont stand infront of the fridge cause your bored! I still do that.....and I shouldnt. When you eat dinner, use a saucer plate, put all the food on there that you want to eat, without over filling it. This will prepare you for the future. Most post-patients over eat because they dont want to missout on food. Its all a visual thing, if your plate is full, you will be full. By using a smaller plate now, will get you ready for the future.

Lots of water, post surgery, you will have to drink more than eight 8oz glasses a day. More for circulation health, but it also washes out the system.

Oh,my there is so much, I could go on and on........ but I wont. If you want to know more let me know. I promise I wont suger coat it. It will be hard on everyone around you. Try to get all the information you can handle, than you will be able to handle the change.

Good luck.

January 26, 2008, 9:17 pm CST

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: reginanteens

HI, I am Gina (reginanteens)

It seems i may never get it though

Recently i became ineligible for California Med-I-cal

I do work but to cover my kids and I through work insurance it would be 450 bucks a month

One coworker pays 500 amonth for her husband herself and three daughters

Is this amount outrageous or what? Every month?

I would love to have this surgery 

Gina

Gina I would be so happy to find health Insurance for 500.00 a month I have worked all my life and when I was working it was 360.00 every two weeks. now I am retired because of my knees at 51 and Heath insurance would cost me 900.00 keep your insurance .good deal kaye

February 2, 2008, 3:12 pm CST

Suggestion for Financial Help

Hi.  I after been considering gastric bypass surgery for a while.  The only thing that is keeping me from going through with it is my insurance does not cover any of it.  I am so uncomfortable in my body and I am also scared that health problems are just around the corner.  I take care of my mother and do everything from house work, cooking, cleaning, all shopping that needs to be done, including working my full time job.  I know there are many woman that do the same thing but I have a very very small income supporting me and my mother.  No extra money to pay for surgery.  Does anyone have any suggestions or information on places to check out that would help in paying for the surgery?  Insurance companies should be ashamed for not covering medical necessities.  Any help would be appreciated.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last