Message Boards

Topic : Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Number of Replies: 84
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 02:17:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you or a loved one had gastric bypass surgery? Share the pros and cons with others contemplating this procedure.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 6, 2007, 9:43 am CST

RNY Gastric Bypass-WHEE!!!!

Quote From: justheather

I have type 1 diabetes.  I am 34 and have had diabetes for 26 years.  I want this surgery and am sure insurance will cover it; however I'm not sure of the risks for diabetics.  I know I should research this; however I just wonder if anyone diabetic has had this surgery and been happy with the results or ran into any medical issues with it?  Also once having the surgery, is the sagging skin something that you must take care of with a tummy tuck to not feel strange about it.  I am 205 lbs and 5'1".  The doctors say my goal weight should be 110-120 lbs due to my small frame and height.  With my blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes this surgery could prolong my life.  Please advise if you are diabetic with good or bad experiences with the gastric bypass surgery.

Thank you

I had the surgery in 1999 and lost nearly 200 pounds. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself! I have gained some weight back, but I am ALIVE and still doing so much better than I was before the surgery...I was a size 32+, went down to a 14 and am now at a happy, seemingly semi-permanent 20. I am very tall, so it works fairly okay on me...I plan to get back to a 16/18 this year though and, thanks to everything I have been through, I know it is possible!

I spent nearly a year after the surgery rebuilding my life and eating habits. I didn't follow every rule, but the weight came off so fast that I could barely keep up- thank goodness for elastic waist pants! It was a bit of a trauma at first- I lost quite a bit of hair and had some problems getting back into eating solid food, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. I had a lot of medical problems that simply disappeared- asthma, diabetes symptoms, etc. My back problems all but went away. I was able to do things and go places I had all but given up.  I had strange heart things happening that disappeared. I felt simply FAT before. Yuck.

One downside (really the only one of any consequence) is this: I did not lose weight and suddenly become able to wear a sexy swimsuit...I had rolls of loose skin that were pretty gross- arms, legs, breasts, stomach. That's a major reason why I don't mind having gained back a little bit...it filled it out a little and I don't feel quite so gross and alien-like. Fortunately, my husband couldn't care less and respects the surgery so much that he is not nearly as bothered as I have been at times. I'd lose the gained weight a LOT faster if I knew there was a possibility of liposuction...but we can't afford it. All in all, I  look at it in context: I would rather be alive than svelte.

February 6, 2007, 7:27 pm CST

lap band

Quote From: bettyschild

Medicaid does not pay for lapband surgery but will pay for other types of gastric bypass surgery. You need to seek advice of her MD to see what you need to do to qualify. In the long run, your mother needs to want this for herself as it is not an easy or quick solution.

I think Medicaid in NY will pay for lap band.  Only thing is I don't live in NY anymore.  I live in FL., I talked to FL Medicaid about the lapband, they directed me to a surgeon to do it,  they said, but I'd have to get prior approval from Medicaid.  So I guess depending on the case if they pay for it or not here in FL, IF you can find a doctor to take Medicaid!

've been seriously thinking on having the lap band.  I am too leary on having the bypass done.  I have too many health issues for that.  I need something less invassive.  I desperatly need to do something, diets don;t keep working, that and when my health issues gets in the way don't help either. It's just one continuos circle. 

The health problems started mainly from being over weight and my health issues aid in putting on the weight or at least keeping the weight.  Over the past two year, I had been in the hospital 4 times.  3 times in 05 for TIA's and heart problems, and then for heart problem once in 06.  I've had the heart problems for 7 to 8 years.

I've also have degenerative disk disease with Siatica, that has caused stenosis and other problems with the spine, that I can't spell :o /..  My physician and the radiologist are saying I need to see a neurosurgeon,.  Only thing is, there is none in the state of FL that takes medicaid. And my PA wants me to take care of the back first , before the lapband.  

I'd rather have the lap band first, so I might not need the back surgery or at least it will make the surgery easier.  I am also afraid if I don't get my weight down soon, I may not be around to worry about having back surgery!  : o (   I'm tire of being in pain!

So Dr. Phil if you read this I could sure use your help!  I want my life back,  I want to get off the disabled role, I want to be able to work again like a human being.  I get tired of being on Medicaid, and being treated like a second class citizen that they don't believe have real problems and being turned down by doctors just because the only insuranc eI have is Medicaid!

I want to be on the employment role like a regular person!

February 7, 2007, 9:29 am CST

lap band - Help, Dr. Phil

Quote From: dabny1957

I think Medicaid in NY will pay for lap band.  Only thing is I don't live in NY anymore.  I live in FL., I talked to FL Medicaid about the lapband, they directed me to a surgeon to do it,  they said, but I'd have to get prior approval from Medicaid.  So I guess depending on the case if they pay for it or not here in FL, IF you can find a doctor to take Medicaid!

've been seriously thinking on having the lap band.  I am too leary on having the bypass done.  I have too many health issues for that.  I need something less invassive.  I desperatly need to do something, diets don;t keep working, that and when my health issues gets in the way don't help either. It's just one continuos circle. 

The health problems started mainly from being over weight and my health issues aid in putting on the weight or at least keeping the weight.  Over the past two year, I had been in the hospital 4 times.  3 times in 05 for TIA's and heart problems, and then for heart problem once in 06.  I've had the heart problems for 7 to 8 years.

I've also have degenerative disk disease with Siatica, that has caused stenosis and other problems with the spine, that I can't spell :o /..  My physician and the radiologist are saying I need to see a neurosurgeon,.  Only thing is, there is none in the state of FL that takes medicaid. And my PA wants me to take care of the back first , before the lapband.  

I'd rather have the lap band first, so I might not need the back surgery or at least it will make the surgery easier.  I am also afraid if I don't get my weight down soon, I may not be around to worry about having back surgery!  : o (   I'm tire of being in pain!

So Dr. Phil if you read this I could sure use your help!  I want my life back,  I want to get off the disabled role, I want to be able to work again like a human being.  I get tired of being on Medicaid, and being treated like a second class citizen that they don't believe have real problems and being turned down by doctors just because the only insuranc eI have is Medicaid!

I want to be on the employment role like a regular person!

Dr. Phil help would be greatly appreciated  Please?

February 8, 2007, 8:10 am CST

Surgery - Problems w/Insurance

I have a letter from my dr. going to MedMutual Predetermination dept.    I've asked the Exeuctive Director of my place of employment to see if he would talk with our insurance company.  I understand MedMutual will pay for it BUT it is included 'within' our company (sigh).   Yesterday I emailed OSU Medical (Ohio State) for the paperwork to possibly get it all started and the pretty much said since my insurance won't pay there's not sense in sending me the paperwork UNLESS I wanted to pay for it myself.

What I really want to do - is get back on track with Dr Phil and get my life back ... it just isn't falling into place (sigh)

Sher/Ohio

February 8, 2007, 3:19 pm CST

IMHO

I don't think one should do this if they do not intend on keeping a healthy diet. My mother and my sister had the surgery. My brother's ex-wife also had the surgery. My sister weighed about 264 (a guess) and she now weighs 170 she did weigh less but she went back to eating the unhealthy food without keeping routine exercise. My mother weighed 300 or more (don't know) and after surgery she lost down to 170 but now she's 200 something because she too went back to eating unhealthy food without routine exercise. Thank heavens I lost weigh without pills or surgery. I weighed 214 and (with diet and exercise), lost down to 140. I've gained 15 pounds since when I stopped excercising but at least I haven't completely stopped eating junk food. I mean I don't get carried away of course. I'm not sure of the exact effects on weigh loss from natural diet and exercise vs bypass. I suppose it's all about how much food you consume.

Pros: The bypass surgery sort of takes away that need to eat so much, thus helping you refrain from over-consumption of food when your body is already full. A small stomach doesn't need much to be full.

Cons: I saw that at times my sister cried and my mother complained because they wanted to eat what they were use to but when they tried, their stomachs could not tolerate it. They threw up a lot, had gas a lot. And in the end, after all that suffering, you're left with a lot of loose skin (if you don't exercise regularly) and when your body tries to adjust to the food that you were use to eating, your sugery becomes a waste of time, money and pain because you gain the weight back. (This is only from what I've seen in relatives who were not on a daily exercise routine).

My opinion: If you do not intend to stick with a healthy diet and exercise, don't waste your money. At least try to do it on your own first. It takes willpower no matter which route you go.

I'm now back to my diet and exercise and has not gained anymore weight. (without bypass).

February 8, 2007, 8:48 pm CST

Help, Dr. Phil

Dr. Phil help would be greatly appreciated  Please?

I'm so lost.  I want to live and be healthy enough to travel to PA to see my new grandbabies.  I have a grandaughter a year and a half, and a grandson born just this year, Jan 10th.

I weighed in at the doctors today at 234 and I'm only 5'2.5".  My BP was 150/100, and all the PA did was ask if there was anything else he could do for me.  I said what about the BP, he said this is only once, he don't think it;s anything serious.  I know it's been up priviously, but not that bad, just borderline high, then it goes down and back up.  Today's was highest in a great while and I felt real tired and sleepy and it was a sunny day. Usually on sunny days I rarely feel that way unless something is wrong.

With my weight, height and my medical problems (heart, back, etc) I should keep considering one of the weight loss surgeries (IIFcan get my insurance to help or the doctors to take my insurance (Medipass), or what? 

Some day I'd love to be able to return to work, I want to buy a place of my own, as long as my weight and my health interfears and I have to stay on SSI, then that shoots all hopes of a quality of life.

I'm lost!

February 9, 2007, 6:35 am CST

hmm, wonder if?

I'm so lost.  I want to live and be healthy enough to travel to PA to see my new grandbabies.  I have a grandaughter a year and a half, and a grandson born just this year, Jan 10th.

I weighed in at the doctors today at 234 and I'm only 5'2.5".  My BP was 150/100, and all the PA did was ask if there was anything else he could do for me.  I said what about the BP, he said this is only once, he don't think it;s anything serious.  I know it's been up priviously, but not that bad, just borderline high, then it goes down and back up.  Today's was highest in a great while and I felt real tired and sleepy and it was a sunny day. Usually on sunny days I rarely feel that way unless something is wrong.

With my weight, height and my medical problems (heart, back, etc) I should keep considering one of the weight loss surgeries (IIFcan get my insurance to help or the doctors to take my insurance (Medipass), or what? 

Some day I'd love to be able to return to work, I want to buy a place of my own, as long as my weight and my health interfears and I have to stay on SSI, then that shoots all hopes of a quality of life.

I'm lost!

hmm, wonder if Dr. Phil doesn't help people on SSI and Medicaid or is he like the rest of the Doctors?  I wonder if watching his shows four to five days a week counts?

February 9, 2007, 12:05 pm CST

hmm wonder if

hmm, wonder if Dr. Phil doesn't help people on SSI and Medicaid or is he like the rest of the Doctors?  I wonder if watching his shows four to five days a week counts?

I guess I need to start previewing messages better.  I didn't word that just right!

I mean,  I wonder if Dr. Phil HELPS people on SSI / Medicaid, or is he like the other doctors?  I would hope he is not like the others, or at least I hope he isn't like the ones that don't care.

February 16, 2007, 9:11 am CST

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

I have been reading the negative aspects of gastric bypass posted on this site and I feel I have to respond.  I had RNY surgery almost 2 years ago now.  I was 364 lbs and climbing.  I have lost 191 lbs and I am exstatic about it.  I can live my life now instead of watching it pass me by.  I belong to a gym and excercise regularly as well.  In order for this surgery to be successful you have to be READY for it.  My surgeon told me right off the bat, that he would give me the first 6 months of weight loss, but I had to participate actively for the rest of my life to maintain my accomplishments.  It is not a miracle cure, but a tool to help you attain your goal.  I researched the subject thoroughly.  When I made my decision to have the surgery, I was prepared for the life style change.  I had my surgery done at a bariatric center where it is their Specialty, not just any surgeon who does the occasional by-pass.  They really do prepare you for the surgery and they assess whether you are capable of psycologically and physically being able to cope with the surgery.  They required me to have a sleep apnea test done prior to the surgery and I found out I did have sleep apnea.  I had no prior knowledge of this so I was set up with a CPAP machine.  They also required that I see a psychologist and I had to get approval from him that I could cope with the surgery.  This surgery is not something that you jump into and take for granted.  If you are not ready, do not have the surgery, because you will not be successful and you will not be happy.  You also need your support system in place.  If you are constantly being sabotaged by a family member or friend, you do not need this person in your circle.  This surgery was the best thing I ever did in my life and for my life.  You really can succeed if you are prepared.  You will miss the food at first but when you weigh the benefits of the surgery, the loss is well worth the gains you make in your life.  My life would have been shortened significantly if I had not gone for the surgery and I was getting to the point where I was not going to be able to do the daily activities of life much longer.  Life is wonderful, grasp it, enjoy it and run with it.  You only get one chance at living it, so take advantage of your choices and opportunities and do what is right for you!  Here is to a happy and healthy life!!

February 16, 2007, 10:27 am CST

Glad I had it done but need a new coping skill

I had the gastric bypass surgery in 2000.  I used to weigh close to 270 and went down to 170 and kept most of it off.  I have recently developed a bad habit. I thought I had my life under control. I was ready to lose weight at the time. I did it! I had a lot of very recent tragedies happen all at once that threw me off. I am drinking 3-6 alcoholic drinks 3-5X weekly at night time.  I don't like myself. I'm afraid to tell anyone. I am afraid for my children, for my husband and ultimately for myself. I am so ashamed I can barely write this email. I can't see the screen real well through the tears. I wish I had the courage to come forward and tell someone that could help me. I could lose my job if anyone found out. My job is very "image" oriented.  Even though I never drink and drive or drink alone I cannot take this anymore. I am a fraud. I am lonely and I am tired of my bad coping skill. Any words of encouragement are welcome. gastricbypassqueen@yahoo.com

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last