Message Boards

Topic : Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Number of Replies: 84
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Tuesday, August 08, 2006, 02:17:36 pm
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Have you or a loved one had gastric bypass surgery? Share the pros and cons with others contemplating this procedure.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 3, 2008, 7:08 am CST

Not Sure

Quote From: ama7088

Hi.  I after been considering gastric bypass surgery for a while.  The only thing that is keeping me from going through with it is my insurance does not cover any of it.  I am so uncomfortable in my body and I am also scared that health problems are just around the corner.  I take care of my mother and do everything from house work, cooking, cleaning, all shopping that needs to be done, including working my full time job.  I know there are many woman that do the same thing but I have a very very small income supporting me and my mother.  No extra money to pay for surgery.  Does anyone have any suggestions or information on places to check out that would help in paying for the surgery?  Insurance companies should be ashamed for not covering medical necessities.  Any help would be appreciated.

What state you live in, but here in Michigan my insurance covered it for me 5 yrs ago. I had my typical copays for office calls and scripts, but because I had medical necessity they paid for the entire surgery. Have you considered the lapband procedure? Would your insurance cover that? Have you contacted your insurance company yourself or been through the process to get denied? If you go with a reputable surgeon they will go to war for you with your insurance company to GET it covered! Have you contacted the American Red Cross? If they can't help you they may have other resources you can look into. Good luck, and I wish all the best Sweetie!

Hugs, Debra

February 6, 2008, 4:27 pm CST

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: debra232006

What state you live in, but here in Michigan my insurance covered it for me 5 yrs ago. I had my typical copays for office calls and scripts, but because I had medical necessity they paid for the entire surgery. Have you considered the lapband procedure? Would your insurance cover that? Have you contacted your insurance company yourself or been through the process to get denied? If you go with a reputable surgeon they will go to war for you with your insurance company to GET it covered! Have you contacted the American Red Cross? If they can't help you they may have other resources you can look into. Good luck, and I wish all the best Sweetie!

Hugs, Debra

Hi Debra.

I live in NC.  I have checked with my insurance company and they do not cover any part of the surgery.  I will have to contact the surgeon again to see what they can do for me.  How have you done since your surgery? 

Thanks,

Alice

February 7, 2008, 12:59 pm CST

Hi Alice

Hi Debra.

I live in NC.  I have checked with my insurance company and they do not cover any part of the surgery.  I will have to contact the surgeon again to see what they can do for me.  How have you done since your surgery? 

Thanks,

Alice

I have done wonderful since my surgery! I have even had a baby since then too. If I had to do it all over again, I would in a heart beat! The only side affects I have experienced is the not tolerating sugar, which is not THAT good for you anyways, and I had an incisional hernia. Hernia's happen 1 out 2 people for whatever reason. It will be 5 years for me on March 10 and I am only 20lbs from where I want to be. That 20 lbs is from the the hormones I had to take to get pregnant, hormones I have had to take in the last year because of hormonal problems. I WILL get that off. The surgery has definately been a positive experience for me.

Did you ask your insurance company if they will cover the lapband? I have heard great things about that procedure!

Keep in touch, Debra

February 27, 2008, 7:15 pm CST

Things can and do go wrong

Hi

I am from Australia and I dont have the insurance problems a lot of you seem to have.  If you are privately insured over here you are covered for most of the operation. Even if you dont have private health insurance you can be covered for a lot of the cost of the operation through the public insurance system. Sometimes it will just take a little longer before you can be done due to the over crowding in the public system.

I was totally covered by insurance when I had my first GBS back in 2001. I have had to have it done twice more due to weak collegen in my system and my stoma (not stomach punch) stretching. The final op that was done in 2005 my surgeon bypassed a lot more of my small intestine because of the stretched stoma was creating increadible hunger as my tummy was never getting any food in it to fill it, it was going straight into my intestine. So by shorting the small bowel I was now mal-absorbing what I did eat and if I was to eat a little too much due to the undying hunger I would not put weight on.

The problem is though I have been really very unwell since 2005. I just can not eat enough to stay healthy. I take all the suppliments and I eat from sun up to sun down and beyond but I still can not stay healthy. I have had to have several trips back to hospital to be fed through an IV with TPN and I am basically now fighting to stay alive.

I guess what I am saying is that surgery can help but you do need councilling as well as surgery as you lose weight and you have to know that things will and do go wrong. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place now and my life is much worse healthwise now that I am the way I am. I am nauseous 24/7 and that makes eatting very hard. I have been back to lots and lots of speciallists but no one has any answers for me about the symptons I have. My whole body is suffering from the mal nutritian and I am very depressed. I have been offered yet another major operation to partically reverse it all but they are usure that that will change my health state. I am not willing to put myself back under the knife for a maybe.

Please be careful when chosing surgery for weightloss and reseach and make sure its right for you. It isnt for everyone. I hope no one has to suffer what I am right now. Life is pure hell.

Take care

May 4, 2008, 10:52 am CDT

lap band

Hi Debra.

Thanks,

Alice

Hi, I am wanting to do the lab band surgery, however my insurance will only pay 1,000 out 16,700 dollars..the fact is here I am going to die if I don't do something here. I contacted Care Credit and they turned me down to help pay for this...does anyone has any idea's on how to get help....Lap band sent me to care credit.. right now I,m 5'5 and 292 pounds.. I am a full time in home caregiver..and love my job, and I worry I won't beable to keep it up..I have dieted for so many years...I lose and gain back plus..any idea's?

Thanks,Cindy

June 10, 2008, 3:08 pm CDT

Medicad Will Cover Lapband

Quote From: bettyschild

Medicaid does not pay for lapband surgery but will pay for other types of gastric bypass surgery. You need to seek advice of her MD to see what you need to do to qualify. In the long run, your mother needs to want this for herself as it is not an easy or quick solution.
I read your comments about Medicad not covering the Lapband procedure, and wanted to let you know that in most states, they will cover the surgery now.  It took them a couple of years to figure out the cost is about half of the normal gastric surgery, so now they will cover it.

July 18, 2008, 1:25 pm CDT

Is gastric bypass surgery right for me?

Is gastric bypass surgery the right option for me? I've been trying to lose weight for about a year now, and can't seem to get anywhere.

July 25, 2008, 12:28 pm CDT

Pros and Cons of Gastric Bypass Surgery

Quote From: amandajane617

Is gastric bypass surgery the right option for me? I've been trying to lose weight for about a year now, and can't seem to get anywhere.

Hi,

I had Gastric Bypass 3 years ago June 12, it was the best decision I could ever have made. I followed all

the prerequisites needed, the only real problem I have encountered was severe anemia, and once it was diagnosed and treated I'm much better, there are still days when I can't eat much, and then days when i can eat normal, but I've become accustomed to it, and will gladly live with these problems, as to the ones when I was heavy (high blood pressure, sweating, back pain, low self esteem). I lost a total of 125 lbs, have no need of plastic surgery (thank god), I think I was one of the results not typical, most people when they find out I had it done are amazed and can't picture me heavy. As long as you find a reputable surgeon, go for it, my insurance did cover it, but I had to write about all the other things I had tried and failed at.

August 31, 2008, 7:35 am CDT

gastric bypass at 18 years old

well I had gastric bypass on june 30,2008. i was very excited about getting this surgery because i knew this woould change my life forever.I had to stay in the hospital for 3 days and then returned home.i was fine for the first 2 weeks after surgery but then i couldn't keep anything down ..not even liquids.I was admitted at the hospital again for 1 week then had an endoscopy done and ct scans.I was found to have an ulcer in my stomach which caused me to throw up and become dehydrated.i wasa given medication for naseau and to treat the ulcer.i was still not keeping anything down. my doctor decided to put me on IV home therapy because i was dehydrated and not eating i lost 52 pounds in 1 month and 2 weeks.I am still on IV home therapy but feel much better and can eat finally.My IV picc line will get removed in 2 days ..Thank God .i am very grateful to be alive because i was in really bad condition.I know God gave me this 2nd chance to better my self.

September 8, 2008, 2:15 pm CDT

I had it done 2007

I was 701 lbs and I had my bypass in May 2007. I am now at 250 lbs and just went thru a tummy tuck. I have had some ups and downs but it sure beats the other option "DEATH" I would do it again. If you keep on the path the doctors want you to and eat correctly you can have a successfully outcome. Some people think they won't gain weight so they start stuffing sweets and carbs into their mouth and they have depression when they gain weight. If you go back to the bypass eating basics you can fix it and catch the weight gain before it gets out of line.

First | Prev | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last