Message Boards

Topic : A FRESH PERSPECTIVE TO ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS

Number of Replies: 11599
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, August 14, 2006, 07:09:04 am
Author : elpasolady
  • If you wish to seek and provide compassionate support to others on your weight loss journey, this is the board for you!
  • Three leaders of this board have been designated (BJ, Cathy, & Sharon) to prevent us from getting carried away with other subjects and focused on the 7 Keys.
  • Feel free to post about those positive events in your life to share with the friends here.
  • Post about those negative events that can hinder your progress and we will support you through it.
  • Please address everyone here with courtesy, dignity, and respect.  Keep in mind that we all have read Dr. Phil's book and know what must be done to lose weight, so we do not need to be told.  As Dr. Phil says, "this is not a one size fits all program".  Therefore, what work's for one person may not work for everyone.  We all have our own unique life circumstances and physical challenges that can affect results.  What is needed is the support and encouragement to do what needs to be done.
  • Opinions & suggestions are encouraged and always viewed as "Food for Thought".
  • Criticism, judgments, and ideas of dictatorship are best left outside our computer room doors.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 25, 2008, 11:24 pm CDT

Long term MIA

Hugs to all who remember me well and Hi to the new people on the board.  I'm returning after periodic absences with some big news the kind of explains the big black hole I dropped into a few months ago.

I've just been diagnosed with Adult AD/HD...  I'm nearly 37.  To say this came as a shock is putting it mildly.

At the moment I am learning, learning, learning all about why my life has been so chaotic for so long and also to use my strengths better.  This is a very exciting and powerful process... I'm learning how I have instinctively been self medicating with some things to help my brain function differently... one of these things was food.  Also why some exercises help me more than others to function well... 

I want to share this aspect of my learning curve with you as I move onwards towards my healthy weight and towards a better use of the alternative brain I'm blessed with.

Hugs and Spring sunshine,

Mary DownUnder

September 26, 2008, 2:57 am CDT

Mary DU

Quote From: mezneil

Hugs to all who remember me well and Hi to the new people on the board.  I'm returning after periodic absences with some big news the kind of explains the big black hole I dropped into a few months ago.

I've just been diagnosed with Adult AD/HD...  I'm nearly 37.  To say this came as a shock is putting it mildly.

At the moment I am learning, learning, learning all about why my life has been so chaotic for so long and also to use my strengths better.  This is a very exciting and powerful process... I'm learning how I have instinctively been self medicating with some things to help my brain function differently... one of these things was food.  Also why some exercises help me more than others to function well... 

I want to share this aspect of my learning curve with you as I move onwards towards my healthy weight and towards a better use of the alternative brain I'm blessed with.

Hugs and Spring sunshine,

Mary DownUnder

Mary, it is great to hear from you again.  I've been keeping you in my prayers, friend.

Wow.  That diagnosis would set you back.  But, what you know about you can deal with.  Just take it one step at a time.  I think most of us with life long issues with food have been self medicating for some reason.  It just takes a while to figure out the real reason in order to do something about it.

I've got to get moving, girl, but I send you some fall sunshine.  Life is wonderful, enjoy it while you can.  You will remain in my prayers and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Hugs,

Anita

September 26, 2008, 4:38 pm CDT

I'm happy

Quote From: cussmotor2

Mary, it is great to hear from you again.  I've been keeping you in my prayers, friend.

Wow.  That diagnosis would set you back.  But, what you know about you can deal with.  Just take it one step at a time.  I think most of us with life long issues with food have been self medicating for some reason.  It just takes a while to figure out the real reason in order to do something about it.

I've got to get moving, girl, but I send you some fall sunshine.  Life is wonderful, enjoy it while you can.  You will remain in my prayers and look forward to hearing from you again soon.

Hugs,

Anita

Thank-you for your welcome and your prayers Anita. 

I have moved through a lot of the grief of diagnosis now...  It was mainly tied up with the 'not knowing' for so long.  The shame and the guilt that resulted from behaviors and tendencies that I didn't understand left quite a legacy of self doubt and distrust.  If you can't trust yourself to be consistent and don't understand why you are brilliant under some circumstances and pathetic another time It is difficult not to internalize that.

I have spent the last few weeks learning all that I can about this brain and the theories surrounding AD/HD.  I've been reading books by world leaders on the subject...  So powerful!!  The news is all good.

I've found that compulsive over-eating is a commonly reported behavior amongst woman with AD/HD, more so than any other eating disorder and also that when the AD/HD is treated effectively the food issues become much easier to deal with.  It's got to do with the impulsively.... I know that even at my best I make poor decisions when I am tired.  This is really when my frontal cortex isn't moderating decisions anymore and I am operating with the 'Lizard Brain', that ancient part of the brain that directly wires into the pleasure center that food stimulates so well.

Every piece of information I can tie into how I use the 7 keys...  I even discovered that I require protein in my breakfast because it makes my brain work more effectively...  It's so simple and works on so many levels...

My choice of ballet as my interest when I was growing up was actually one of the best things I could have done according to research on exercise and AD/HD by John Ratey... explains why things didn't really fall apart until 17 when I had to quit classical ballet after 10 year and hormones hit at the same time.  John recommends any martial art, ballet and gymnastics as his top 3 sports to assist the AD/HD individual's brain and life to operate at it's smoothest.

I love my Karate.... and I'm heading back into vigorous training.

I have much more support now... I'm seeing a therapist weekly.  My husband is getting help with treatment for his long-term depression and my rather difficult  DD16 is finally allowing us to get help for her too.

I'm spending much more of my day doing the things that light me up.  These are the interests that fire my brain and allow me to funnel energy into other things...

As I said, It's all good!

Enjoying the sunshine,

Mary DownUnder

September 28, 2008, 12:23 am CDT

Strategic Help

I'm having trouble at work with avoiding the biscuit and chocolates on display on the kitchen (where I'm often cleaning) or in the staffroom.  Our boss leaves bags of peanut-studded chocolate bars as thank yous for the staff periodically or if someone dies (I work in Aged Care atm) often their family will thank the staff with chocolate. 

Even thought I bring my own food for my meals at work (alone, in the middle of the night) and I tell myself I don't need those extra things it is very difficult. 

At home I have a environment without that rubbish and it doesn't bother me at all... I like healthy food.  I always have a soup or left-overs of a healthy meal my DH has cooked for me to heat up at work. I bring fruit and sometimes a low fat yogurt as well. I am getting enough to cover my energy requirements and to fill my stomach... This snacking is not about nutrition or hunger.

I need some strategies to beat this problem area...  I welcome any ideas or thoughts you lovely ladies have.

Yours with hugs,

Mary DownUnder

September 30, 2008, 5:33 pm CDT

A FRESH PERSPECTIVE TO ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS

Hi everyone

I'm glad to see some posters here.  It's been a little while since I have been here.

Jeanne welcome to the club.  I have done the rsp a few time and always seemed to lose 10 to 14 lbs during the 2 weeks.  I followed the plan but I didn't eat what was on the menu.  Somethings I couldn't find.  I think you should try and weigh yourself once a week.  I found that when I weighed myself everyday it was too frustrating if I didn't lose 20lbs each time I looked. lol  It was always an excuse for me to give up.  Hang in there though.

Anita, sorry to hear about your rough few months.  I am glad to hear that you are past the grieving part of it and onto dealing with how to deal with it and make life better.  Sounds like you are doing great at it.  So do you mind me asking what your symptoms were for you to be diagnosed with it?  I have heard of kids being diagnosed with it and have a hard time concentrating on things, acting out in school.  Is it similar to that.  I really don't know too much about it.  Be strong around those treats.  You have already shown that you are a strong woman by the way you are dealing with the adhd.  Those treats are so minor when it comes to what you have overcome so far.

Brenda, good to see you are still swimming.  I haven't been to aquasize classes for a while.  I really need a new bathing suit.  Mine is stretched terribly.  I am also very cheap and don't want to spend too much money on one until I can buy a sexy bikini. lol

As for me, I have been doing really well.  I have been pretty strict with my eating.  But for the most part, no snacks after supper, 10 glasses of water a day, lots of walking.  DH and I have been going for hikes.  We did a 2.5km tonight and we did a 5km on Sunday.  It is so pretty out right now with all the crunchy leaves on the ground.

Does anyone snowshoe?  I told dh that would be a really good exercise.  I need to find something to do in the winter or I am miserable and bored.

Well I am watching Biggest Loser right now but not paying too much attention so I had better go.

Take care everyone.

Keep posting.

Sheree

October 1, 2008, 1:04 pm CDT

Quote From: elpasolady

Hey friend!  We may be ahead of you at this hour, but I've no doubt you will catch up with us.

The hour that we get it done is not nearly as important as making sure we do what we must at some point during the day.

It feels good to have a new beginning here, doesn't it?

Hugs,

Sharon

It's good to know that I'm not the only one on this adventure.  I'm on my 3rd week on my adventure.  I have dedicated the next year to myself and my health.  I'm looking forward to the new found energy and looking and feeling good about myself.  I've let myself go for the past 5-6 years, but now I'm thinking sensibly.  I can't wait to go back home and let my family see me.  I'm going back to California in June.  I'm not saying a word about what i'm doing.  So, it'll be a surprise to them.  I can't wait to see their expressions.

October 2, 2008, 5:25 am CDT

Hi Jeanne

Quote From: jeannedeps

Hi Bren,

My name is Jeanne and I'm a newbie, I read your message and it sounds like you are on the board a lot.

So any words of encouragement will be appreciated, I'm on my 1st week of the rapid response program, not seeing anything yet, but, I'm plugging along. Keeping my eye on the Target. Hoping to unstick my scale.    Hugs  Jeanne

Hi Jeanne!  I am on the message board a lot.  It is my circle of support--Dr. Phil's 7th Key.  I really try to follow all the 7 Keys.  It takes some time to incorporate all the keys into your life.  I thought the scale wouldn't move for me at first either.  It takes persistence.  The Rapid Response program usually works for most people.  I have never done the Rapid Response program, just the regular program.  Keep posting here and asking any questions that you have.  Good luck to you.  Take care! :) Bren

October 2, 2008, 7:28 pm CDT

Hi everyone.

I got thinking about the post I left the other day and realized that I mixed up Anita and Mary's names.  Sorry about that, but I'm sure you guys knew what I meant.

My week is going well but I have the munchies like crazy.  As soon as I get home from work and start supper I am nibbling.  I have been doing this for 2 days.  Not junk food which is good but still not great.

I forgot to mention that I am walking to work as well.  Gas is so expensive here.  I am in canada and I pay 1.35/liter which would be 5.29 a gallon.  Yikes.  It's about a 15minute walk each way.  Hopefully I don't wimp out too much in the winter.  I'm sure you guys have heard how cold our winters are.  Especially Manitoba which is where I am.

It's suprising how losing 5 pounds can make a difference in how we feel about ourselves.  I feel so much better and have only lost about that much...so far.  I have a long way to go but atleast I am moving in the right direction.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Sheree

October 3, 2008, 8:30 am CDT

Sheree

Quote From: shelog

Hi everyone.

I got thinking about the post I left the other day and realized that I mixed up Anita and Mary's names.  Sorry about that, but I'm sure you guys knew what I meant.

My week is going well but I have the munchies like crazy.  As soon as I get home from work and start supper I am nibbling.  I have been doing this for 2 days.  Not junk food which is good but still not great.

I forgot to mention that I am walking to work as well.  Gas is so expensive here.  I am in canada and I pay 1.35/liter which would be 5.29 a gallon.  Yikes.  It's about a 15minute walk each way.  Hopefully I don't wimp out too much in the winter.  I'm sure you guys have heard how cold our winters are.  Especially Manitoba which is where I am.

It's suprising how losing 5 pounds can make a difference in how we feel about ourselves.  I feel so much better and have only lost about that much...so far.  I have a long way to go but atleast I am moving in the right direction.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Sheree

Sheree, It is great that you have lost 5 pounds!  It is also great that you are walking to and from work!  Keep up the good work!  Take care! :) Bren

October 3, 2008, 5:56 pm CDT

Jeanne

Quote From: jeannedeps

Hi Bren,

My name is Jeanne and I'm a newbie, I read your message and it sounds like you are on the board a lot.

So any words of encouragement will be appreciated, I'm on my 1st week of the rapid response program, not seeing anything yet, but, I'm plugging along. Keeping my eye on the Target. Hoping to unstick my scale.    Hugs  Jeanne

Hi and welcome to the board.  I've been MIA for a couple of days.  My youngest son and his best girl got to town Thursday and we have been going and visiting.  They are sometimes on my computer so I don't always have a chance to get on before we are off and running some more.

From your other e-mails, you are doing all that you should be doing.  Stay off that scale, though, so much.  It can get discouraging when the numbers don't go down.  We don't want you to get frustrated.  The weight will come off.

When I first started working out, my metabolism was so slow that it took me three months before I lost any significant weight--even with my trainer programming my food.  However, after 13 years, I just eat sp ,icj better/  I have a slow metabolism and the weight comes off slowly.  But we walk one step at a time, so I'm happy if the numbers keep getting smaller.

Hope to see you again soon.

Hugs,

Anita

First | Prev | 1153 | 1154 | 1155 | 1156 | 1157 | 1158 | 1159 | Next | Last