Message Boards

Topic : A FRESH PERSPECTIVE TO ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS

Number of Replies: 11599
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, August 14, 2006, 07:09:04 am
Author : elpasolady
  • If you wish to seek and provide compassionate support to others on your weight loss journey, this is the board for you!
  • Three leaders of this board have been designated (BJ, Cathy, & Sharon) to prevent us from getting carried away with other subjects and focused on the 7 Keys.
  • Feel free to post about those positive events in your life to share with the friends here.
  • Post about those negative events that can hinder your progress and we will support you through it.
  • Please address everyone here with courtesy, dignity, and respect.  Keep in mind that we all have read Dr. Phil's book and know what must be done to lose weight, so we do not need to be told.  As Dr. Phil says, "this is not a one size fits all program".  Therefore, what work's for one person may not work for everyone.  We all have our own unique life circumstances and physical challenges that can affect results.  What is needed is the support and encouragement to do what needs to be done.
  • Opinions & suggestions are encouraged and always viewed as "Food for Thought".
  • Criticism, judgments, and ideas of dictatorship are best left outside our computer room doors.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 14, 2006, 8:05 am CDT

The journey

We are on the greatest adventure of our lives and certainly the most important!! What could be better than sharing with each other!! Journalling it all, the good, the bad, the ugly, will give us something to look back on as we travel the road to good health, and we will be proud of the changes we have made.

Hugs

BJ

August 14, 2006, 8:06 am CDT

Water . .

One thing I am doing is to fill a 2 quart pitcher just before I go to bed at night so it's nice and cold in the a.m.  When that's gone, I know I've had my 8 glasses and it saves me having to stop and think now did I or didn't I??? Even when I get back to school, I can start by filling my water bottle from it to start my day.  Which reminds me, I need to get a new water bottle before heading back to school.  I want a new water bottle and some neat little dishes to pack my lunch & snacks in:). 

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 8:08 am CDT

BJ,

Quote From: chimocats

We are on the greatest adventure of our lives and certainly the most important!! What could be better than sharing with each other!! Journalling it all, the good, the bad, the ugly, will give us something to look back on as we travel the road to good health, and we will be proud of the changes we have made.

Hugs

BJ

I couldn't agree more!  And, when the 3 of us reach goal, we've just got to find a way to meet!  Wouldn't that just be great?  We're so spread out across the country we'd have to find a place to meet in the middle.  Something to ponder as we journey along.

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 8:10 am CDT

Weigh-IN

What do you gals want to do as far as weigh-ins?  Do you want weigh-ins and, if so, weekly and on what day?  As far as I'm concerned, the only challenge we need is to be accountable to ourselves and each other?  Thoughts please!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 8:11 am CDT

ME TOO

I'm a big greedy too when it comes to wanting success, so I'm definately going to pick up a package of stickers of some sort. 

Cathy - I bet they have some stickers at the dollar store and you can pick those up when you get the tape measure.

Isn't it nice to no longer have that sense of urgency anymore?   On other boards (and I've even initiated them myself) we have had "challenges".  They are often great motivators when our enthusiasm begins to dwindle.  However, my thoughts have begun to change about a challenge for me.  I was thinking about this last night and I came to the conclusion that I really must view each and every day as a challenge to achieve what I need to do for that day to achieve my weight loss.  For me, making the challenge any longer than one day at a time is too overwhelming, but I feel I can at least make it though one day at a time.

So, if either of you want to initiate a challenge at any time in the future, that's fine and I'll participate, but I'll really be viewing it as a "one day at a time challenge".  I think that will work best for me.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 8:13 am CDT

Okay you two . . .

either you're posting big long posts or you've gone and left me!

Truthfully, I have to get my body in motion soon by going for my walk, having my lunch and running to the grocery.

Lunch will be a tossed salad:  romaine lettuce, radishes, cukes, tomatos, red/orange & yellow peppers w/grilled chicken breast strips!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 8:16 am CDT

*LOL*

Quote From: elpasolady

I'm a big greedy too when it comes to wanting success, so I'm definately going to pick up a package of stickers of some sort. 

Cathy - I bet they have some stickers at the dollar store and you can pick those up when you get the tape measure.

Isn't it nice to no longer have that sense of urgency anymore?   On other boards (and I've even initiated them myself) we have had "challenges".  They are often great motivators when our enthusiasm begins to dwindle.  However, my thoughts have begun to change about a challenge for me.  I was thinking about this last night and I came to the conclusion that I really must view each and every day as a challenge to achieve what I need to do for that day to achieve my weight loss.  For me, making the challenge any longer than one day at a time is too overwhelming, but I feel I can at least make it though one day at a time.

So, if either of you want to initiate a challenge at any time in the future, that's fine and I'll participate, but I'll really be viewing it as a "one day at a time challenge".  I think that will work best for me.

Hugs,

Sharon

We really are on the same wave-length, us three.  See my last post. I most definitely am back to babysteps, one meal at a time, one snack at a time, one day at a time.  Doing that successfully is all the challenge I need.  Besides, I have all the motivation I need right now!

Yes, the Dollar Tree has a ton of stickers!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 8:16 am CDT

Water, weigh ins,etc!

Water - I do the same Cathy. I refill my 2 qt jug each night after making note of how much I drank. I was drinking it all for a long time, but have got off track the last few weeks.

Weigh-ins - I still prefer Monday weigh ins for myself b/c it keeps me more accountable on the weekend and I don't intend to change it!! Weighing before the weekend so I can indulge and then work like crazy Mon to Fri is something I used to do when "dieting" and it so unproductive for me. Everyone is different and if a different day works better for you that's fine!!

Travel - OMG wouldn't that be awesome!! I think that would be the perfect reward for reaching goal!!

Hugs

BJ

August 14, 2006, 8:19 am CDT

CATHY & BJ

Quote From: catlyninvt

What do you gals want to do as far as weigh-ins?  Do you want weigh-ins and, if so, weekly and on what day?  As far as I'm concerned, the only challenge we need is to be accountable to ourselves and each other?  Thoughts please!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

Since we started this board together today and we all weighed this morning, why don't we just continue to use Mondays as our weigh in day?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter to me.  I just thought that since we all already weighed this morning and will be measuring ourselves today, and today is Monday, that we could just carry that on.

If either of you prefer a different day, I'm flexible and have no problem with whatever day you prefer.

I already posted about the challenge idea, but again, I can be flexible about that too if either of you prefer something a bit different. 

What are your thoughts about being accountable to each other?  Shall we post our accountability at the end of each day, or should we do it first thing in the morning about the previous day?  I imagine either way would be fine.  I personally plan to go over my checklist at the end of the day and see if there are any adjustments I need to make for the following day, so posting about it at the end of the day works for me.

How about posting our meal plan?  Does anyone feel that's necessary?  Or do you have a preference about that?  Or should we just leave it up to each other as individuals.  If it helps, post it and if it doesn't matter, it's not necessary?

Questions, Questions, Questions!!!

Hugs,

Sharon

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 8:19 am CDT

Mondays . . .

Quote From: chimocats

Water - I do the same Cathy. I refill my 2 qt jug each night after making note of how much I drank. I was drinking it all for a long time, but have got off track the last few weeks.

Weigh-ins - I still prefer Monday weigh ins for myself b/c it keeps me more accountable on the weekend and I don't intend to change it!! Weighing before the weekend so I can indulge and then work like crazy Mon to Fri is something I used to do when "dieting" and it so unproductive for me. Everyone is different and if a different day works better for you that's fine!!

Travel - OMG wouldn't that be awesome!! I think that would be the perfect reward for reaching goal!!

Hugs

BJ

are good for me too.  Years ago I belonged to a weightloss club and weighin and meeting was on Wednesday.  Everyone, myself included, would eat whatever they wanted over the weekend and then starve themselves from Monday to Wednesday.  Now that is "diet" mentality!!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | Next | Last