Message Boards

Topic : A FRESH PERSPECTIVE TO ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS

Number of Replies: 11599
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, August 14, 2006, 07:09:04 am
Author : elpasolady
  • If you wish to seek and provide compassionate support to others on your weight loss journey, this is the board for you!
  • Three leaders of this board have been designated (BJ, Cathy, & Sharon) to prevent us from getting carried away with other subjects and focused on the 7 Keys.
  • Feel free to post about those positive events in your life to share with the friends here.
  • Post about those negative events that can hinder your progress and we will support you through it.
  • Please address everyone here with courtesy, dignity, and respect.  Keep in mind that we all have read Dr. Phil's book and know what must be done to lose weight, so we do not need to be told.  As Dr. Phil says, "this is not a one size fits all program".  Therefore, what work's for one person may not work for everyone.  We all have our own unique life circumstances and physical challenges that can affect results.  What is needed is the support and encouragement to do what needs to be done.
  • Opinions & suggestions are encouraged and always viewed as "Food for Thought".
  • Criticism, judgments, and ideas of dictatorship are best left outside our computer room doors.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 15, 2006, 5:06 am CDT

Good Morning friends!

Wow, Sharon, I thought I'd sure I'd be the first one here this morning *LOL*!  Forgot what an early bird you are these days:).

Yes, yesterday was an awesome day and I awoke feeling good and at peace with my WLC this morning.  It's going to be another great day.

I have a couple of things to post and then off to get the new "do".

Barb, you asked what day discussion is.  What we are doing right now is, like many here and on other Boards, starting on Page 1 of the UWS and working forward.   Going back to basics.  There's so much valuable info in this first Chapter . .lots of food for thought:).   Until we reach the first Key Chapter, we are posting excerpts from the book, starting with Chapter one as I did yesterday and will do again today.  I posted my thoughts on it and would like to see others join in and say what it means to them.  So, please feel free to post anything that stands out to you, that has made you feel reconnected,  for discussion.

Once we hit the Key Chapters, we'll have to decide on what day works well for everyone for discussion. 

My menu for the day:   B - cereal,banana,ffmilk & turkey bacon

S (a.m.) - ff yogurt (will take this and my water bottle with me this morning)

L - salad made w/cukes, tomatoes & onions w/garbanzo beans, EVOO &

balsamic vinegar dressing

S - red,orange & yellow pepper strips w/lite ranch

D - lean boneless pork chop (grilled), green & yellow string beans & fresh

cuke slices

Off to post a little "book work" and will check in after I return home.

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 15, 2006, 5:07 am CDT

Sorry

I see that when I post first thing in the morning I need to use my spell check!  Sorry for the errors in my previous post.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 15, 2006, 5:13 am CDT

CATHY

Thanks for responding to Barbara's questions.  My brain saw it and then forgot to respond to it!  DUH!

I think that for right now since we have a small group here that we can just post on anything that strikes us as we read Dr. Phil's book.   I have read the book so many times, but every time I do, something different jumps out at me.  So, I was thinking that if we post whatever jumps out at us, it my be something that didn't jump out for another and therefore a discussion can start from there.

Keep up the posts on what's jumping out at you - I'm really enjoying them.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 15, 2006, 5:18 am CDT

From the good Doc . . . .

"there is no "one size fits all" solution (no pun intended!)  to responsible and permanent  weight control.  It just doesn't work that way.  Because you are a unique individual, your weight-control issues are unique, as well.  The strategies you require must be yours and yours alone.  Any plan that creates lasting for-life results is gong to have to be  designed specifically for you by you, with help from someone who has done his homework and has broken the code of what is truly required for you to lose weight and keep it off.  That someone is me.  ~ Dr. Phil

I love this!  Our circumstances are so diverse.  Many of us have physical restrictions that make certain types of IE impossible, however, that doesn't mean that there isn't some form of IE that is possible!  For some of us, gym memberships are just not within our budgets, but who says you have to pay out lots of $$$ to get in IE!  Be innovative!  Find something that works for you and do it to the best of your ability. 

The same goes for food choices.  If you really hate certain foods, it's pretty hard to talk your palate into loving them, so, go with what you do like and make it as healthy as you possibly can. Make the healthiest choices you can with what you do like.  We all know the difference between "healthy" and "junk".  Get rid of the junk!

We can do this ladies!  It's all up to us!  If we want it to work, we will find a way to make it work!   CHOOSE TO LOSE!

((((HUGS))))

Cathy

August 15, 2006, 5:21 am CDT

Good Morning Sharon!

Quote From: elpasolady

Thanks for responding to Barbara's questions.  My brain saw it and then forgot to respond to it!  DUH!

I think that for right now since we have a small group here that we can just post on anything that strikes us as we read Dr. Phil's book.   I have read the book so many times, but every time I do, something different jumps out at me.  So, I was thinking that if we post whatever jumps out at us, it my be something that didn't jump out for another and therefore a discussion can start from there.

Keep up the posts on what's jumping out at you - I'm really enjoying them.

Hugs,

Sharon

Yes, that's exactly it!   Everyone just jump right in there and post and share your thoughts.  I love hearing everyone's interpretations because someone else might see something that I've entirely missed that I really needed to hear.

I'm off to hit the shower my friend as I have my hair appointment at 9:30! 

Am going to start posting a "Salad-A-Day" and will do that upon my return.

I'm feeling skinny today!!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 15, 2006, 5:23 am CDT

I MAY DISAPPEAR AGAIN

I've just learned that we are under a flash flood watch until tomorrow morning, so there may be times when I will have to disappear if a storm starts here.

Yesterday was a bit of a funny day.  By the time lunch rolld around, I felt as if I was starving.  The salad I had for lunch was the best ever!  LOL!  So, knowing that my DH had not left for lunch yet, I had to call him to see if he was starving too.  He was, but had to wait a bit longer before he could leave.  If I had to wait like he did, I'm afraid I'd have ordered everything on the menu.  LOL!  But he did good and I was proud of him.

Then, he doesn't get home until about 6:30 in the evening, so I made sure dinner was ready when he walked in the door.  I'm generally not big on fish, but that was the best tasting fish I'd ever eaten!  LOL!    (I baked talipia with mushrooms and steamed brocolli on the side)

My point in all this is that I realized  I must have been doing a lot more mindless munching throughout the day (prior to yesterday) and didn't know it - otherwise I would not have been so hungry for the meals yesterday.  That was my eye opener for me.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 15, 2006, 5:49 am CDT

CATHY

Quote From: catlyninvt

"there is no "one size fits all" solution (no pun intended!)  to responsible and permanent  weight control.  It just doesn't work that way.  Because you are a unique individual, your weight-control issues are unique, as well.  The strategies you require must be yours and yours alone.  Any plan that creates lasting for-life results is gong to have to be  designed specifically for you by you, with help from someone who has done his homework and has broken the code of what is truly required for you to lose weight and keep it off.  That someone is me.  Dr. Phil

I love this!  Our circumstances are so diverse.  Many of us have physical restrictions that make certain types of IE impossible, however, that doesn't mean that there isn't some form of IE that is possible!  For some of us, gym memberships are just not within our budgets, but who says you have to pay out lots of $$$ to get in IE!  Be innovative!  Find something that works for you and do it to the best of your ability. 

The same goes for food choices.  If you really hate certain foods, it's pretty hard to talk your palate into loving them, so, go with what you do like and make it as healthy as you possibly can. Make the healthiest choices you can with what you do like.  We all know the difference between "healthy" and "junk".  Get rid of the junk!

We can do this ladies!  It's all up to us!  If we want it to work, we will find a way to make it work!   CHOOSE TO LOSE!

((((HUGS))))

Cathy

That's a great quote from Dr. Phil.

You are so right - we all have different circumstances and must always keep that in mind when we offer our support to each other.  Sometimes it's difficult to remember that everyone is not like ourselves.  You are not like me and neither is BJ or Barbara, or anyone else who posts on this board.  We are each individuals and must take the GUIDELINES provided by Dr. Phil and devise our own individual program.  

Like you said, if we don't like a particular food, then I don't think we should force ourselves to eat it.  If I did that, I am certain I would not stick with the program.

In addition, there are some who may have the $ to join a gym, but just don't want to.   I'm always hearing stories about people who join the gyms, pay out the $ every month, but never go.  I fear I would be like that, so I've chosen to invest in a few machines for my home.  And yes, sometimes I allow them to collect dust, but I know they are there and I will get on them again.  On the other hand, another person may tell me that the only way they will get their I.E. done is by having to go to a gym and working out with other people there.  If that is what works best for them, that is exactly what they should do.  Others like to get outside and do their I.E. and they should do just that, if that's what works for them.  I'm not one of those people either.  I'm very much a home body and prefer to do what I need to do right in my home. I also tend to become annoyed with people who will say we have to do a certain amount of exercise per day.  If I'd told I have to exercise 2 hours a day, I can tell you right now that isn't going to happen.  At this point in my life, not only does my physical weight not allow that, but neither does my motivation.  I personally do not like to exercise and I doubt I ever will.  That doesn't mean that I won't do it because I will. knowing that I must in order to achieve my goals.   But because I don't like exercise, I'm going to do only what I have to do.  Yet others may start getting into a routine and find that they really enjoy it.  I envy those people, but am also happy for them because it won't be as much as a struggle.    I've gone on and on a bit much here, but it's to remind myself, as well as the rest of us, that these are examples of tailoring the program so that it works best for us as individuals. 

So, I think the best we can do for each other here on the board is to be as open-minded as we can with each other and allow each other to work their own individual programs, providing the encouragement we need.  I don't believe in pushing anyone to do what they either are not ready to do or don't want to do. 

Rather than my 2 cents that was long enough to say it was more like a $1.00's worth of opinion.  I hope you ladies all know me well enough by now to know that yes, I am an opinionated person.  That said, I don't expect you to always agree with me.  In fact, I welcome a different opinion because even if I continue to disagree, you've given me something to think about - a fresh perspective.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 15, 2006, 5:54 am CDT

Good Morning Friends!!

Wow Sharon you sure are turning into an early bird!! Flash floods!! That's scary!! Hope that doesn't happen.

Good Morning Cathy!! You will be heading off for your "do" soon. Enjoy every minute of the pampering!

My food day went quite well till supper time and due to time constraints I made mac/cheese and poor man's stroganoff ( lean ground beef/mushrooms/mushroom soup). I just had small portions and 2 cobs of corn.  I was still hungry and knew I wouldn't get to sleep so along with some water I had toast. That's a habit I've fallen back into and will have to break again.

Breakfast I posted yesterday. Lunch was a salad with leftover rotisserie chicken added and yogourt. Snacks were cherries and a plum.

Water only 2 glasses due to bathroom being out of commission.

I went to bed a little earlier than I've been getting there and woke up at 6:30 ready to get up, so that was nice!

Yesterday was a great day on board and I feel so excited and "free", We are going to do it!!

Barbara, sorry I didn't reply about the discussions. By the time I typed what I did, I'd forgotten you asked!! Just jump in with any quotes that are pertinent to you, or any questions that you have. I remember how you used to post sections from the book before and it was great.

Have a great day all!

Hugs

BJ

August 15, 2006, 6:10 am CDT

Sharon and Cathy

Love your posts about individualizing our programs!! That's the way it has to be, because this is a lifestyle change, not something we are doing till we get the weight off. Therefore we have to build an IE program that will work in our individual lives and circumstances. I would love to have a home gym but live in a small house with no basement so that's not an option. Right now, I'm fighting to have my gazelle back in the living room. I can't walk far so the gazelle is a good option for me right now. 

Hugs

BJ

August 15, 2006, 6:22 am CDT

BJ

Quote From: chimocats

Love your posts about individualizing our programs!! That's the way it has to be, because this is a lifestyle change, not something we are doing till we get the weight off. Therefore we have to build an IE program that will work in our individual lives and circumstances. I would love to have a home gym but live in a small house with no basement so that's not an option. Right now, I'm fighting to have my gazelle back in the living room. I can't walk far so the gazelle is a good option for me right now. 

Hugs

BJ

I've not been on a gazelle, but hear that many really like it.  It's my understanding that it is very low impact on the joints.  I'm seeing more and more of that from equipment manufacturers.  So, if you can't walk far, you won't get a good workout if you do, yet the gazelle will give you a better workout and I think you've made a wise choice with it.

My favorite machine is my Pilates machine because although the exercises are not easy, I can do them and get through an entire routine.  DH has a Health Rider and I just don't have the stamina to do a routine on it long enough to gain any benefit.  And, if I am going to exercise, I certainly want to be able to gain some benefit from it.  The only problem with my Pilates machine is it is more strength training than it is aerobic.  So, I have to incorporate other things, (generally some sort of workout video) to include aerobic exercising.  I used to switch off days, one with the Pilates and the other aerobic, but right now my Pilates machine is folded up and resting against the wall.  Since I put my quilt in the frame to work on it, I don't have room for the Pilates machine.  I guess I'm just going to have to do some rearranging here because my exercise routine has now become more of a priority.

Hugs,

Sharon

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last