Message Boards

Topic : A FRESH PERSPECTIVE TO ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS

Number of Replies: 11599
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, August 14, 2006, 07:09:04 am
Author : elpasolady
  • If you wish to seek and provide compassionate support to others on your weight loss journey, this is the board for you!
  • Three leaders of this board have been designated (BJ, Cathy, & Sharon) to prevent us from getting carried away with other subjects and focused on the 7 Keys.
  • Feel free to post about those positive events in your life to share with the friends here.
  • Post about those negative events that can hinder your progress and we will support you through it.
  • Please address everyone here with courtesy, dignity, and respect.  Keep in mind that we all have read Dr. Phil's book and know what must be done to lose weight, so we do not need to be told.  As Dr. Phil says, "this is not a one size fits all program".  Therefore, what work's for one person may not work for everyone.  We all have our own unique life circumstances and physical challenges that can affect results.  What is needed is the support and encouragement to do what needs to be done.
  • Opinions & suggestions are encouraged and always viewed as "Food for Thought".
  • Criticism, judgments, and ideas of dictatorship are best left outside our computer room doors.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 14, 2006, 7:28 am CDT

Sharon,

Quote From: elpasolady

We've already grasped the right attitude, which is the first step.  Now we are here to help encourage each other to put it into our daily lives.

I too have my checklist ready for today and my meals and snacks are planned out.  I'll be planning tomorrow sometime later today.

You're not alone, my friend!  I wasn't very happy with the number on the scale this morning either.  But, the good news is that it is on its way down!

DH and I decided last night that for us to really help motivate each other, I need to drag myself out of bed early and exercise together.  Otherwise, it's too easy to put it off until it doesn't get done.  Since I'm not an early riser, this will be a bit of a sacrifice for me, but I've decided it is something I MUST do, for us both.

I'm happy to have you here with me.  You have always been a fantastic source of support and encouragement to me!

Big Hug,

Sharon

Thanks my friend and the feeling is mutual.

My plan is much as yours, I will have my next day planned (including a back up plan) before my head hits the pillow each night.  I will not only plan my meals, I will plan IE and how I intend to get my water in, etc., etc.  The one thing I know for sure is that aside from a "can-do" attitude, planning is everything!

It's great that you DH is doing this with you.  It would be so much easier if mine did not work the schedule he does.  Nonetheless, he loves eating healthy so that will not be a challenge.

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 7:30 am CDT

BJ,

Quote From: chimocats

Kashi Good Friends cereal/skim milk/blueberries, 2 slices turkey bacon, coffee,  1 water

I made myself a check off list a long time ago and when I used it it really helped, so I need to dig it out again and put it to use.

I also measured myself this morning, so I have a starting point there too.

Hugs

BJ

Measuring, yes, thank you for the reminder.  I've never been very good at that.  I don't even own a tape measure:(.  Guess I'd better hit the Dollar Tree, next to the grocery store, and pick one up.  I know it's important because this time, that IE will not escape me . .or maybe I was escaping it???? *LOL*  Regardless, it's important and I am important and I will not shove this Key under the door mat this time!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 7:31 am CDT

CATHY & BJ

Your breakfast and snack sounds great.  I love peaches.

Since I did not have my protein for breakfast, I plan to have a hard boiled egg for snack.  I boiled them last night so they would be ready to go today.  I realize that it is recommended that we have a protein with every meal, but I have a real hard time combining a protein with my cereal.  So, I'm trying to tweak it just a bit, still getting in all the requirements, just scattering them out a bit differently.  If it reaches a point that it doesn't work for me, then I'll just tweak it again - LOL!

BJ - you've started your day off with a good breakfast as well!  We are all on a roll and doing good!

Hugs,

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 7:35 am CDT

CATHY

Quote From: catlyninvt

"This decision you are mulling over in your head is not whether to start yet another "diet".  You have made that well intentioned but misguided choice dozens of times.  And through it all, your weight just keeps creeping up or maybe even shooting sky high, and it is getting harder to control with each passing year."

"The decision you must make is whether or not you will quit concerning yourself and telling yourself what you so desperately wish were the truth:  that there is some hot new died out there, promising quick and easy results.  So decide:  do you want to keep fooling yourself or not?"

Dr. Phil, Chapter 1, Page 3 of the UWLS

I remember reading this some time ago.  And, as I read your post, it made me realize that, yes we have mulled over the idea of another "diet", but I can't allow this to be a diet.  It has to be a new way of eating and I can't allow myself to go back to the old way.  I've done that so many times in the past and it has done nothing but make me heavier.  I've finally reached the point in my life where I want and need to do what it takes to be healthier.  And, I'm determined to make this works as a lifestyle.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 7:35 am CDT

BJ

"When there is so much at stake - your weight, your health, your self-esteem - you've got to something about it now."  Dr. Phil

Exactly!

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 7:37 am CDT

BJ & CATHY

I remembered to weigh, but forgot to measure too.  Now I know I have a tape measure around here somewhere.  I'll be looking for that shortly and measure myself too, so that I will have that starting point to work with as well as the scale.  I've found that very often for me when the scales are not moving, the tape measure does.  It's good to have that as a motivating factor when the scales are being stubborn.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 7:37 am CDT

Cathy and Sharon

Sharon you are so fortunate that your hubby wants to do IE with you, and Cathy you are so fortunate that your hubby wants to eat healthy!! Mine doesn't want to do either of those!!

Hugs

BJ

August 14, 2006, 7:40 am CDT

CHECKLIST

I'm interested in how you two have set up your checklist.  After hearing what you two do, I may want to change mine a bit.

At this point, I have a spiral notebook.  I put the date at the top of the page.  Then I have a column on the left where I list, Weight, Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Water, and Exercise.  I plan to use the back of the page for any journaling or any emotional key work that I feel I need to do.

Anyway, that's how I've set up mine.

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 7:42 am CDT

Okay, My Thoughts on the passageway quoted . .

We all have learned that diets don't work.  That's not even a consideration anymore.  As Dr. Phil says, I have made that well-intentioned attempt more times than I care to remember.  It just sounds so good to hear those words that you're guaranteed to lose 35 lbs. in 8 weeks.  It's that desire for a quick fix and it's like searching for the fountain of youth . . .just ain't no such animal!

A friend's son recently took up horseback riding . .he's 12.  He saw his older cousins, galloping and jumping and roping calves and it looked so exciting to him, the prospect of doing that himself.  Problem is, he doesn't want to start at the beginning.  He wants to skip all the stuff in the middle and be right at the galloping, jumping, roping.  As she told me about his feelings, I couldn't help but think, wow, that's me when it comes to weightloss.  He's 12 and I'm 48 and I don't want all that "stuff" in the middle.  I should rephrase that to say, I didn't want that in my past efforts, before Dr. Phil produced the UWLS.   I think it's safe  to say that's how many of us felt once upon a time.  I wanted  that immediate gratification, I wanted instant results, I wanted to go from looking at myself in the mirror one day and seeing the fat to looking at myself the next day and magically overnight, I had reached my "get real weight".  I'm only fooling myself.  Good health and the end result will only come with focus, determination and, yes, hard work.   You can't ignore the "stuff" in the middle!

So, that's my take on this passage.  I've seen and felt the results of the "quick fixes" and I have no intention of going down that road again.  The good news is, we have the KEYS to unlock the doors that will make sure that never happens!  This is a lifestyle change. 

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 7:43 am CDT

BJ

Sharon you are so fortunate that your hubby wants to do IE with you, and Cathy you are so fortunate that your hubby wants to eat healthy!! Mine doesn't want to do either of those!!

Hugs

BJ

I know that I am fortunate that my DH wants to work this program with me (as far as the food and the exercise is concerned).  He's doing it because his doctor was not all that nice at his last visit and he wants to be thinner and healthier by his next visit in October.

Having a DH that does not want to do this with you will make it more of a challenge, but we are here for you to provide you with whatever support you need.   You've always been there for me, and the least I can do is return the favor.

Hugs,

Sharon

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last