Message Boards

Topic : A FRESH PERSPECTIVE TO ACHIEVE WEIGHT LOSS SUCCESS

Number of Replies: 11599
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Monday, August 14, 2006, 07:09:04 am
Author : elpasolady
  • If you wish to seek and provide compassionate support to others on your weight loss journey, this is the board for you!
  • Three leaders of this board have been designated (BJ, Cathy, & Sharon) to prevent us from getting carried away with other subjects and focused on the 7 Keys.
  • Feel free to post about those positive events in your life to share with the friends here.
  • Post about those negative events that can hinder your progress and we will support you through it.
  • Please address everyone here with courtesy, dignity, and respect.  Keep in mind that we all have read Dr. Phil's book and know what must be done to lose weight, so we do not need to be told.  As Dr. Phil says, "this is not a one size fits all program".  Therefore, what work's for one person may not work for everyone.  We all have our own unique life circumstances and physical challenges that can affect results.  What is needed is the support and encouragement to do what needs to be done.
  • Opinions & suggestions are encouraged and always viewed as "Food for Thought".
  • Criticism, judgments, and ideas of dictatorship are best left outside our computer room doors.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 14, 2006, 7:47 am CDT

BJ & Sharon

Quote From: chimocats

"When there is so much at stake - your weight, your health, your self-esteem - you've got to something about it now."  Dr. Phil

Yes, yes, yes!!  There is so much at stake.  I often ask myself, "do you want to make this change because you want to or do you want to make this change because you have to because you're laying in a hospital bed and the doctor is telling you your life depends on it!"

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 7:48 am CDT

CATHY

Quote From: catlyninvt

We all have learned that diets don't work.  That's not even a consideration anymore.  As Dr. Phil says, I have made that well-intentioned attempt more times than I care to remember.  It just sounds so good to hear those words that you're guaranteed to lose 35 lbs. in 8 weeks.  It's that desire for a quick fix and it's like searching for the fountain of youth . . .just ain't no such animal!

A friend's son recently took up horseback riding . .he's 12.  He saw his older cousins, galloping and jumping and roping calves and it looked so exciting to him, the prospect of doing that himself.  Problem is, he doesn't want to start at the beginning.  He wants to skip all the stuff in the middle and be right at the galloping, jumping, roping.  As she told me about his feelings, I couldn't help but think, wow, that's me when it comes to weightloss.  He's 12 and I'm 48 and I don't want all that "stuff" in the middle.  I should rephrase that to say, I didn't want that in my past efforts, before Dr. Phil produced the UWLS.   I think it's safe  to say that's how many of us felt once upon a time.  I wanted  that immediate gratification, I wanted instant results, I wanted to go from looking at myself in the mirror one day and seeing the fat to looking at myself the next day and magically overnight, I had reached my "get real weight".  I'm only fooling myself.  Good health and the end result will only come with focus, determination and, yes, hard work.   You can't ignore the "stuff" in the middle!

So, that's my take on this passage.  I've seen and felt the results of the "quick fixes" and I have no intention of going down that road again.  The good news is, we have the KEYS to unlock the doors that will make sure that never happens!  This is a lifestyle change. 

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

Yep, I've traveled that same road many times myself.  The road dead ends when I gain the weight back.  I'm looking for that road that continues on and never dead ends again. 

Also, for the very first time in my life, I am actually looking forward to the journey and not just the end result.  I want to journal how I feel now and be able to look at that in a week, a month, a year and see how far I've come and how much better I feel (both physically and emotionally).  I think that for me to embark on this fresh start, I'm using the fresh perspective of seeing the journey as just as rewarding as the end result of success will be.

Hugs,

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 7:52 am CDT

Sharon,

Quote From: elpasolady

I'm interested in how you two have set up your checklist.  After hearing what you two do, I may want to change mine a bit.

At this point, I have a spiral notebook.  I put the date at the top of the page.  Then I have a column on the left where I list, Weight, Breakfast, Snack, Lunch, Snack, Dinner, Water, and Exercise.  I plan to use the back of the page for any journaling or any emotional key work that I feel I need to do.

Anyway, that's how I've set up mine.

Sharon

That's pretty much the same as my set up except I've added 7 boxes and numbered them 1 - 7 for each Key and at the end of the day, I will check each off.  If I have one without a check (bad me!), I will journal as to why I did not implement this Key into my day.

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 7:52 am CDT

Checklist

My check list is a chart I made on the computer.  The first column is the #'s 1-31. Then I have columns for IE, water, Meals, affirmations, reading UWS,journalling, 8 pm cut off.  Sometimes I change them a bit depending on what I need to work on!!

I will use one per month and I'm going to hang it where I see it and put stars or stickers for each one I accomplish each day.

Hugs

BJ

August 14, 2006, 7:55 am CDT

BJ,

Sharon you are so fortunate that your hubby wants to do IE with you, and Cathy you are so fortunate that your hubby wants to eat healthy!! Mine doesn't want to do either of those!!

Hugs

BJ

As you know, my DH has Type II Diabetes and high blood pressure (salts everything!), so the healthier he eats, the better he feels. 

He had his 6 month check up last week and the doc was very happy with the bloodwork.  His Diabetes is very under control with only 1 oral med a day.  Now, if I could just get him out walking or some form of IE, he probably could come off them compeletely.  His blood pressure is another story.  I am picking up some salt substitute today and he will use it and I will hide the real thing.  He'll go along with as he knows I just want to take care of him:)!

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 7:58 am CDT

CHECKLISTS

I like your ideas.

I will incorporate into my checklist a way to check off the 7 Keys to make sure I am working them all. 

I also like the idea of the little stickers.  I think I will pick up a package of those stars and if I have a really good day, I can put a star at the top of my page.  Haven't done that sort of thing since I was a young girl, but it was fun then and I'm sure it will be fun now.

Thanks,

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 8:00 am CDT

Sharon,

Quote From: elpasolady

Yep, I've traveled that same road many times myself.  The road dead ends when I gain the weight back.  I'm looking for that road that continues on and never dead ends again. 

Also, for the very first time in my life, I am actually looking forward to the journey and not just the end result.  I want to journal how I feel now and be able to look at that in a week, a month, a year and see how far I've come and how much better I feel (both physically and emotionally).  I think that for me to embark on this fresh start, I'm using the fresh perspective of seeing the journey as just as rewarding as the end result of success will be.

Hugs,

Sharon

I think that for me to embark on this fresh start, I'm using the fresh perspective of seeing the journey as just as rewarding as the end result of success will be.

I know what you mean.  I think that I have lost that sense of "urgency" that Dr. Phil talks about.  I feel relaxed, ready for a lifetime commitment as it's mean't to be.  I didn't put the weight on overnight or in 6 months time or even a year, so why should I think it's going to come off any quicker than I put it on . .in fact, as we all know . . .it usually comes off much slower, at least if we're doing it right and plan to keep it off for a lifetime.

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

August 14, 2006, 8:00 am CDT

Stickers

For me they are a visual that remind I AM working towards my lifestyle changes, and I'm greedy, I want to see more and more of them!!

Hugs

BJ

August 14, 2006, 8:01 am CDT

DID IT

I just added the seven keys to my checklist and the first one I checked is #7!    There's certainly no problem with that Key when I have you two here with me!

Kiss, kiss, smooch, smooch - LOL!

Hugs,

Sharon

August 14, 2006, 8:02 am CDT

BJ,

My check list is a chart I made on the computer.  The first column is the #'s 1-31. Then I have columns for IE, water, Meals, affirmations, reading UWS,journalling, 8 pm cut off.  Sometimes I change them a bit depending on what I need to work on!!

I will use one per month and I'm going to hang it where I see it and put stars or stickers for each one I accomplish each day.

Hugs

BJ

Sounds great.  Maybe I need something more visual as well.

(((HUGS)))

Cathy

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last