Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 17, 2007, 9:53 am CDT

favortisim

Quote From: tiffany_2007

You could tell her to cut down how long her son is around his grandparents. Tell her to not be scared or feel bad if she takes control of how long they seem them. Its unhealthy to have a visit disturb her life and her oldest sons life which is sounds like that is what is happening. Plus maybe talk to her in laws about the problems, maybe they don't even realize what they are doing. Good luck

Thanks for your advice, I pretty much told her the same thing in a letter. I'm praying a meeting will change things for the better. I'll let ya know!!

Take care.

- Sherrie

October 3, 2007, 12:44 pm CDT

TRUST UR INSTICTS!

I have a three year old son. i had contacted the dr.phil show a number of times. The producer called me and wated to help beacuse no one else would.I had gone to my family doctor so many times in tears woundering what to do. my child wouldn't sleep couldn't play by himself, always in my face screaming, it would take me most times 7ral hours to get him to sleep.i was emotionaly spent. i did everything i knew how to do. no doctor would listen.i would cry myself to sleep, and even thought about packing my stuff and going!i knew something was wrong but the only answers i got that he was a kid or i had post partum depression. i finally got a pedeitrician, and after meeting a few times discoverd my son sufferd from severe adhd. we have him on medication, and my lfe is so much better the tention in our life is gone me and my husband get along so much better with our son. Please if u think there is something wrong don't give up someone will listen.The most important thing is my son is a very happy child!I would just like to thank beth thompson the producer for trying to help

October 10, 2007, 9:27 am CDT

14 mo old Tantrums

Hello,

My 14 month old son has temper tantrums the size of a 2 or 3 year old tantrums.  He's had bad tantrums like this since he was just a baby, probably 5 or 6 months old.  I never knew a baby that young could actually have bon-a-fide temper tantrums.  I always thought  that was supposed to start around 2 years old.  If he doesn't get what he wants, he throws himself onto the ground and kicks, screams and rolls around the floor.  All of the books that I have say to ignore the behavior until it stops, so I do, but sometimes his tantrums go on for almost an hour.  Is that too long to let him have it out like that?  My husband and I have been ignoring his tantrums from the beginning, but he hasn't let up yet.  I thought if you ignored the behavior, it would stop.  Now I'm wondering if it will stop or if we're just doing more harm than good.  I can't find any advice about tantrums in a child this young.  Everything I read seems to pertain to 2 and 3 year-olds. All of my friends that have children seem very surprised when they see how bad his tantrums are.  My niece is older than him and still does't throw tantrums like this.  My pediatrician told me that I should reward him with something when the behavior finally does stop, but I've tried that and it doesn't seem to work.  Usually, when he's done throwing his tantrum, I give him a hug and sit down with him to read a book or something.  Once he's quiet for a few minutes, I give him some juice and a cookie, but then he goes right back into tantrum mode.  He goes to  a private, Christian daycare and I've talked to his daycare teachers about it and they were shocked.  They've never seen him throw a tantrum at school.  And I beleive it.  Every time I go to pick him up or just check on him, he's having a great time.  But as soon as we get home, he goes straight into tantrum mode.  What should I do???? 

October 10, 2007, 2:50 pm CDT

Tantrums

Quote From: proudtexasmom

Hello,

My 14 month old son has temper tantrums the size of a 2 or 3 year old tantrums.  He's had bad tantrums like this since he was just a baby, probably 5 or 6 months old.  I never knew a baby that young could actually have bon-a-fide temper tantrums.  I always thought  that was supposed to start around 2 years old.  If he doesn't get what he wants, he throws himself onto the ground and kicks, screams and rolls around the floor.  All of the books that I have say to ignore the behavior until it stops, so I do, but sometimes his tantrums go on for almost an hour.  Is that too long to let him have it out like that?  My husband and I have been ignoring his tantrums from the beginning, but he hasn't let up yet.  I thought if you ignored the behavior, it would stop.  Now I'm wondering if it will stop or if we're just doing more harm than good.  I can't find any advice about tantrums in a child this young.  Everything I read seems to pertain to 2 and 3 year-olds. All of my friends that have children seem very surprised when they see how bad his tantrums are.  My niece is older than him and still does't throw tantrums like this.  My pediatrician told me that I should reward him with something when the behavior finally does stop, but I've tried that and it doesn't seem to work.  Usually, when he's done throwing his tantrum, I give him a hug and sit down with him to read a book or something.  Once he's quiet for a few minutes, I give him some juice and a cookie, but then he goes right back into tantrum mode.  He goes to  a private, Christian daycare and I've talked to his daycare teachers about it and they were shocked.  They've never seen him throw a tantrum at school.  And I beleive it.  Every time I go to pick him up or just check on him, he's having a great time.  But as soon as we get home, he goes straight into tantrum mode.  What should I do???? 

I have a 8 month old and if I stop him from getting a item he wants he does this scream and crying thing, and gets pretty angry at me, I smile at him and tell him NO honey its harmful and I just try to change his attention. I have a feeling there is really nothing he is crying about right, its not like you have told him no or kept him from something right? If there is no reason for this behavior then I was suggest a mental issue and keep pushing on your doctor tell him this isn't normal and that there is no trigger for these and you feel they might be something else. Plus write a list of everything he does, even have the care takers at the daycare watch him and find out if there is other things out of the norm that he does. I have seen something like this in my niece she was, feel bad for saying this, was a terror to be around, I would baby sit her for my sister but I hated it, plus I was 16 at the time and not great with children so I thought this was normal and I was just doing something wrong. Turns out she did have a mental issues she has aspergers autism which we all at first thougth it was going to be ADHD, for 5 years she was a terror, would run around and hit people with pots, would not listen to anyone, lie all the time, make fun of people, and then just cry for no reason, she was like this wild child did as she please and you would have to grab her hold her and try and talk to her and she would be moving to get out of your arms, she would run and run without a thought like a baby that just learns to walk yet she was 5-7 which she should be able to understand. She is now 10 years old and is very calm, she is on drugs, you can talk to her and she stopped the lying (not sure if thats part of it but its nice she stopped).

Your child may not have this but its good to find out what is wrong, ignoring only goes so far. My sister was told to ignore the start of these sign, my niece at 1 years old would hit her head over and over against the wall. Good luck and don't give up trying to find out how to stop this. He cant be very happy doing this.

November 26, 2007, 12:35 am CST

I have a problem

My ex g/f just had my son almost two months ago, due to events out of my control, I was unable to be put on the Birth Certificate. She insists it is illegal for her to have me put on the BC, therefore she keeps refusing to establish paternity, there is one hitch in that though, she recieves "Family First", and one of the requirements to recieve that is to establish paternity and set up child support, so how can it be illegal but a requirement for a state run program? She thinks its fair that I only get to see him a few hours every other month. But now, she has decided she "wants me back". I'm afraid to go back to her, due to the abuse and hostility I endured from her and her family. But I'm also afriad this may be the only way I can estabilish paternity and therefore gain my rights to my son. I just don't know what to do, I'm beside myself. Even though I'm now almost 300 miles away from her, I'm still frightened of making her mad. I miss my son desperately, and I really need help. All I want to do is take care of my son, but she and her sister, especially her sister, are hindering my efforts.

November 29, 2007, 10:31 pm CST

seizures

i  have a 22 month old who since he turned 1 has had seizures. we have been to the emergency room several times and to several doctors. we were told the same thing that it is comon at this age and it is his body reacting to his crying., and he should grow out of it by 5. i cannot think of what it is called right now, i just wanted to see if there was other out there that are having this same problem.
the seizures have finally slowed down for now, we were up to 3 a day. doctors where just telling us to not to make him mad or cry. (lol) I don't want my son runing around like he rules untill he is 5. i have an older boy too which makes this dificult because he doesn't understand that when the seizure hits we have to pay attention to his brother,but is very patient about it too. i have been told that this is extremely comon now days and just want to see if there are others out there and what they are doing or did do to keep order in the house?

December 7, 2007, 10:06 pm CST

need help

I have been having several issues with my children. They are almost three and two. My girls are 11 months apart. Lately I have been feeling as if they are out of control. The whine for everything they want. They say No when I ask the to do something as simple as helo me pick up. I work full time and go to school as well. I am at the end of the rope with them. Any sugesstions or ideas are welcomed. Thanks

December 7, 2007, 10:08 pm CST

General Advice

Quote From: sagespirit

i  have a 22 month old who since he turned 1 has had seizures. we have been to the emergency room several times and to several doctors. we were told the same thing that it is comon at this age and it is his body reacting to his crying., and he should grow out of it by 5. i cannot think of what it is called right now, i just wanted to see if there was other out there that are having this same problem.
the seizures have finally slowed down for now, we were up to 3 a day. doctors where just telling us to not to make him mad or cry. (lol) I don't want my son runing around like he rules untill he is 5. i have an older boy too which makes this dificult because he doesn't understand that when the seizure hits we have to pay attention to his brother,but is very patient about it too. i have been told that this is extremely comon now days and just want to see if there are others out there and what they are doing or did do to keep order in the house?
Did the do an EEG? I have had the problem with my oldest and it was onset by teething issues and a pain issue. She's fine now. However it was super rough for a while. Being a Nurse I'd ask your child's doctor to run an EEG and that wil let you know about bain activity. Good Luck.

January 16, 2008, 2:12 pm CST

Not sure what to do?!?

Not real sure whats the best way to handle my 3 year old son playing with himself. My moms advice was to tell him it was ok as long as he did it in his room by himself. I tired that and it kinda works, alot of times he does he doesn't even seem to notice he is doing it. He will be totally paying attention to something else and he just kinda does it. Not sure if I should just tell him no, or just try to ingore it. Anyone know the answer please let me know. thanks

January 25, 2008, 8:09 am CST

waking up

I need some help.  My 2 year old daughter has been waking up every night at 2:30 am EXACTLY.  When I go to her room to see what is wrong she is trembling and terrified!  This has been going on for at least 3 months now.  Any idea what could be causing this?

We put holy water in her room and that helped for a few days.

First | Prev | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | Next | Last