Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

June 21, 2008, 8:44 am CDT

Dealing with Grandma

Everytime my  almost two year old goes to her grandmas house (my mom)  she comes back with stained up clothes. I pack bibs which come back perfectly clean, imagine that.  I have had discussions with my mother about this issue and she always says something about "this is meme's house and at meme's house they can get dirty."  I am not wealthy by no means at all and I cant afford to constantly be replacing clothes.  I just think this issue is a matter of respect.  So, again this morning I talked to my mom about this because yet another time her brand new t shirt came back covered in mac a roni.  Her response was... I dont know why you even bother telling me this it isnt like anything is going to change.  Then she says it is just a t shirt anyway.  To me it is waisted money out of my pocket.  I understand accidents happen but these are no accidents.  Someone please HELP I need advice bad.  I feel so dis respected.

July 16, 2008, 3:43 pm CDT

General Advice

I have a beautiful 3 mnth old son and my sister in law has a 2 year old son. Me and my husband lives with his parents because of my father in laws' health. My sister in law lives on her own with her husband and they stop by many times a week to visit my father in law. They seem to let their 2 year old son get away with anything. Her 2 year old son would hit my son and she thinks it's funny/cute. One day when I put my son in the bouncer so I could go make a bottle, I heard him cry and saw that my sister in law's son had slapped my son. That was the first time, so I didn't make such a big deal out of it, thinking it was just a mistake. But then it just kept on happening and she would just laugh about it. I told her to keep her son away but she'd argue with me saying "he's mad that's why he did that..." as if that's an excuse for her son. She also would let her son slap her until he's happy when he's angry. My baby has gotten bruised from her son's bite and yet she hasn't disciplined her son. She laughs about it. I want to say something to her but I don't want to come off as rude and bitchy.

August 21, 2008, 9:38 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: aris_mommy

I have a almost 13 month old and I can not get her to sleep in her own crib for anything. She has been sleeping in the bed with her dad and me for about the past 5 months. I am starting to deeply regret ever letting her to start to sleep with us. I am also 5 months pregnant and my belly is getting bigger so I need more space to sleep. I have tried putting her in her crib during the day to take her nap but she starts screaming. I have tried just leaving her in there to see if she would cry herself to sleep. But she just cries and screams until she actually makes herself throw up. She will fall asleep on the couch if I'm holding her  or sitting next to her but once she wakes up and realizes i am not next to her she starts screaming. I am really desperate at this point, I don't know what to do. I need to get her to sleep in her own bed before the baby comes but I have no idea how to make that happen. If anyone has any suggestions or ideas that worked for them I would greatly appreciate it, thank you.
the first thing that i would do if i was in your situation would want to call your pediatrician. He or she will have the best answers hopefully. my daughter did sleep with me until she was 12 months. I would wake up and put her back in her bed every time until she started sleeping on her own. She would also cry a lot but i always gave her a bottle. i sometimes rocked her until she started to fall asleep then put her in her bed. Then i started her on whole milk and she didn't get up anymore. i learned with  my second one not to have him sleep with me.

September 4, 2008, 3:02 am CDT

Toddler erection

I have a 4 year old son who has erections all the time, especially if he sees his mom naked. He then just wants to touch me, I don't make a big issue of it, just try to tell him it's not very nice to do. Is this normal?

September 13, 2008, 4:28 am CDT

bitting

How do you get your 17 month old son/daughter to STOP bitting everyone? I have been dealing with this for awhile now and I don't know what else to do. His doctor says that all kids that bit grow out of it, I don't believe him, IS IT TRUE?

September 17, 2008, 10:47 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: lgossett07

How do you get your 17 month old son/daughter to STOP bitting everyone? I have been dealing with this for awhile now and I don't know what else to do. His doctor says that all kids that bit grow out of it, I don't believe him, IS IT TRUE?
I have had two children grow out of bitting. I know it's frusterating but they won't bite forever. one thing you can try is say OHUH in a singsong voice take them away from the situation. good luck and it will end.

September 17, 2008, 12:51 pm CDT

drugs - 9/17/08

Our daughter goes from one addiction after another.  She lives with her husband and 3-1/2 year old son and has abused pain drugs for more that 4 years.  Two years ago she had a seizure and that is when we found out.  She was buying drugs over the internet and in debt of about $25,000.  She is somewhat better, but we still are not sure how she really is.  She swears she's not on any more drugs, and she says she has to have a pain patch due to her back pain and Topomax due to the seizure and who knows what else.  She talks like a zombie half the time.  Her husband believes her and she is suppose to have back surgery in November.  I think she needs outside help, but she says she is okay.  What can we do???

October 2, 2008, 2:22 pm CDT

Bottle Breaking!!!???

I have a 17 month old, who should be off the bottle according to my pediatircian(and everyone else I have spoken to).  I made the mistake several months ago of letting her go to bed with a bottle and now I can't get it away from her at bedtime.  She drinks out of a sippy the rest of the time.  I have tried letting her cry, but after 30 min, I can't handle it anymore.  My older two didn't have to be "broke" of the bottle.  They just quit wanting it at around a year. 

Does anyone have any advice?

October 2, 2008, 2:29 pm CDT

General Advice

Quote From: xklorx

I have a beautiful 3 mnth old son and my sister in law has a 2 year old son. Me and my husband lives with his parents because of my father in laws' health. My sister in law lives on her own with her husband and they stop by many times a week to visit my father in law. They seem to let their 2 year old son get away with anything. Her 2 year old son would hit my son and she thinks it's funny/cute. One day when I put my son in the bouncer so I could go make a bottle, I heard him cry and saw that my sister in law's son had slapped my son. That was the first time, so I didn't make such a big deal out of it, thinking it was just a mistake. But then it just kept on happening and she would just laugh about it. I told her to keep her son away but she'd argue with me saying "he's mad that's why he did that..." as if that's an excuse for her son. She also would let her son slap her until he's happy when he's angry. My baby has gotten bruised from her son's bite and yet she hasn't disciplined her son. She laughs about it. I want to say something to her but I don't want to come off as rude and bitchy.

Honestly, I wouldn't care how it came off.  By letting that 2 yr old hit, bite or whatever, your 3 month old your sister in law is putting your baby's safety at risk.  It doesn't take much from what I understand to cause brain damage if a child is hit just right.  So for the safety of you child, I would say something and stand my ground.  Anyone who does not understand that this is not a laughing matter and it is a safety concern needs to re-evaluate the situation.  I hope it works for you and the little boy gets into trouble and is taught respect for others.  It is never too soon to teach that lesson.

October 2, 2008, 2:34 pm CDT

General Advice

Quote From: nar1468

I have a 4 year old son who has erections all the time, especially if he sees his mom naked. He then just wants to touch me, I don't make a big issue of it, just try to tell him it's not very nice to do. Is this normal?

My boy did the same thing.  I didn't mention what was happening, but I did quit letting him see me naked.  Now the only time I see anything like that is in the mornings when he has to go "pee". 

First | Prev | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | Next | Last