Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 2, 2005, 10:17 am CST

General Advice

Quote From: misskanell

Thank you for you advice. I am trying the back pack thing, but she refuses to take it off, even for a nap. I will try the key and the picture idea, maybe even the blanket idea. Anything to help her adjust.  

After I picked my daughter up the teacher told me that she had been crying all day. I asked her if this was the first time she had cried all day and she told me no it was not. I left it at that and talked a little bit with my daughter. She told me that she had been getting hurt by 2 boys. Then she pointed to her arm. She had teeth marks on her arm. I said something to the director of the school and she said she would do something. When I got her home I took her to the potty and I just happened to look at her panties and they were filled with poop. I don't know what the deal is but I am going to get to the bottom of this. I feel as if know one cares about my daughter. My son on the other had is doing great. He loves going and has acctually stoped crying when I'm home, but that's a whole nother topic. Is there a hotline or website that someone can go to to report a child care center?? misskanell@yahoo.com 

try jobs and family services in your area.

November 2, 2005, 7:10 pm CST

General Advice

Quote From: misskanell

Thank you for you advice. I am trying the back pack thing, but she refuses to take it off, even for a nap. I will try the key and the picture idea, maybe even the blanket idea. Anything to help her adjust.  

After I picked my daughter up the teacher told me that she had been crying all day. I asked her if this was the first time she had cried all day and she told me no it was not. I left it at that and talked a little bit with my daughter. She told me that she had been getting hurt by 2 boys. Then she pointed to her arm. She had teeth marks on her arm. I said something to the director of the school and she said she would do something. When I got her home I took her to the potty and I just happened to look at her panties and they were filled with poop. I don't know what the deal is but I am going to get to the bottom of this. I feel as if know one cares about my daughter. My son on the other had is doing great. He loves going and has acctually stoped crying when I'm home, but that's a whole nother topic. Is there a hotline or website that someone can go to to report a child care center?? misskanell@yahoo.com 

ooh I'm soo sorry to hear that.  I really feel for you.  If she feels comfortable with the back pack let her keep it on.  After a while, let her lay with it, then next to hear.  slowly wean her from it if you feel the need.  There is action you can take against a center.  first I would contact your local state agency and see if they have had any complaints against them. write down their license # it should be posted.  I will get some web sites for you and e-mail them to you.  keep fighting for your daughter.  You are doing the right thing.
Karen

November 2, 2005, 11:55 pm CST

unhappy baby?

Quote From: smile0998

My normally happy 2 month old has started screaming & yelling... This past weekend we went away. While we were driving she was fine. She played for a little while & then fell asleep. When she woke up she started crying. But then it turned into screaming & yelling. She sounded scared & mad. I was sitting in the back seat next her & tried to comfort her. Well nothing seemed to console her. Finally we pulled over & I held her for a little while to calm her down. She fell back to sleep in my arms. Then I put her back down & she cried a little but finally fell back to sleep. Well that was most of our weekend. She would suddenly start screaming for no apparent reason. Well now that is her daily routine.. there seems to be no reason why. It's not constant but it just starts all of a sudden. This morning she was in a great mood. She woke up happy, she ate & was playing. She fell back to sleep while I got ready for work. I woke her up to change her & get her dressed. She was fine. Then in the middle of me dressing her she started screaming again. I calmed her down & then tried to put her in the car seat & she flipped out & wouldn't stop. She just sweats so much when she cries. Finally I took her out & she fell asleep on me. After about 10 minutes I put her back in the car seat & she was fine. She made a few little cries but nothing like before.  We drove to my in-laws & she was fine. I am going to the doctors next week for her 2 month check up. I was hoping that someone would have some advice for me. Please!  

I would like to ask this somewhat personal question, are you breastfeeding her? if so have you recently eaten something that you don't normally eat or drink? are you feeding her anything other than breastmilk or formula? if so I reccomend that if you start her on solid foods you stick with the same food for at least seven days and if there is a reaction then you know what caused it. The Dr. should have some good input. I would pay close attention to the things that you have changed recently, even diapers make a difference! soap, lotion, powder, all sorts of things could be making her upset, also check her mouth, my son started getting the bumpies on his gums where his teeth would cut through at 2 months. There are homeopathic tablets for teething if you are not comfortable with giving her lidocaine or any other caine product, as many ppl are allergic to caine products. I used the teething tablets and rubbed whiskey on my sons gums. another thing to try that worked for us is getting the nipples for the bottles that use bags(the nipples are large) and put a small ice cube in the nipple hold it in with your finger and let her suck on it. Hope this was helpful.

November 3, 2005, 7:40 am CST

Thanks

Quote From: dcfroggy

I would like to ask this somewhat personal question, are you breastfeeding her? if so have you recently eaten something that you don't normally eat or drink? are you feeding her anything other than breastmilk or formula? if so I reccomend that if you start her on solid foods you stick with the same food for at least seven days and if there is a reaction then you know what caused it. The Dr. should have some good input. I would pay close attention to the things that you have changed recently, even diapers make a difference! soap, lotion, powder, all sorts of things could be making her upset, also check her mouth, my son started getting the bumpies on his gums where his teeth would cut through at 2 months. There are homeopathic tablets for teething if you are not comfortable with giving her lidocaine or any other caine product, as many ppl are allergic to caine products. I used the teething tablets and rubbed whiskey on my sons gums. another thing to try that worked for us is getting the nipples for the bottles that use bags(the nipples are large) and put a small ice cube in the nipple hold it in with your finger and let her suck on it. Hope this was helpful.
I am not breastfeeding. For the last month, I have been giving her cereal in her last bottle at night. But I haven't changed the cereal or anything. She also has been having watery bowel movements for a few days. She doesn't have a fever. She does seem to have a diaper rash but it doesn't seem to bother her too much. I noticed it yesterday. Someone else mentioned that she might be teething. I have a list of things to ask the doctor on Tuesday. She was great this morning. She was smiling & talking like crazy. She even giggled last night for the first time! She has been laughing in her sleep for a while but last night she actually giggled while awake!!! It was so cute. Thank you for your advice. It is just so frustrating because everyone (including my husband) expects me to have all the answers! That's just not possible!  

November 4, 2005, 12:17 am CST

General Advice

Quote From: ambitiousj

Hello all, I am a military wife and mother of three.  I would like some input.  I am curious at what age it is inappropriate to shower with your kids.  I usually have my hands full and on occasion i will shower with one of our girls to save time when we are running late.  She is only 19 months and is more intersted in blowing bubbles than my private parts.  I would appreciate some feedback.  Right now I don't really see a problem with it, but when are kids too old to do this. 
There is no appropriate age to stop showering with them, there is just how comfortable you are with it. When it starts feeling uncomfortable or you run out of room in the tub for both of you, then stop.

November 4, 2005, 8:06 am CST

General Advice

Quote From: smile0998

My normally happy 2 month old has started screaming & yelling... This past weekend we went away. While we were driving she was fine. She played for a little while & then fell asleep. When she woke up she started crying. But then it turned into screaming & yelling. She sounded scared & mad. I was sitting in the back seat next her & tried to comfort her. Well nothing seemed to console her. Finally we pulled over & I held her for a little while to calm her down. She fell back to sleep in my arms. Then I put her back down & she cried a little but finally fell back to sleep. Well that was most of our weekend. She would suddenly start screaming for no apparent reason. Well now that is her daily routine.. there seems to be no reason why. It's not constant but it just starts all of a sudden. This morning she was in a great mood. She woke up happy, she ate & was playing. She fell back to sleep while I got ready for work. I woke her up to change her & get her dressed. She was fine. Then in the middle of me dressing her she started screaming again. I calmed her down & then tried to put her in the car seat & she flipped out & wouldn't stop. She just sweats so much when she cries. Finally I took her out & she fell asleep on me. After about 10 minutes I put her back in the car seat & she was fine. She made a few little cries but nothing like before.  We drove to my in-laws & she was fine. I am going to the doctors next week for her 2 month check up. I was hoping that someone would have some advice for me. Please!  

Sounds like what my daughter went through with teething. I got her those teething rings you can put in the fridge or freezer and let her play with them. It helped a whole lot. Also have you gone back to work lately and have changed her routine? This could be another sign she's just having problems adjusting.. I wish you luck and I promise if it's the teething thing it get's much better.

November 4, 2005, 2:32 pm CST

General Advice

Hi.  I'm new here.  Just seeing what your all about.  i have 2 small kids, ages 2 years and 10 months.  What do you all talk about on here? 

November 5, 2005, 6:55 am CST

please give me advice

I was wondering, my little girl is 2 years old and her counsin that is 5 yeras old showed her his private parts. I had a talk with her but I'm still worried about it. Can someone please help. Thanks

November 5, 2005, 8:12 am CST

General Advice

Quote From: tcghbroome

Hi.  I'm new here.  Just seeing what your all about.  i have 2 small kids, ages 2 years and 10 months.  What do you all talk about on here? 

We talk about basically anything about parenting, questions, advice, opinions anything, just pop in and give us what you think or whatever you want. I think it is cool to have a place where paretns can come and seek out advice or whatever.

November 5, 2005, 8:15 am CST

General Advice

Quote From: khiasdad

I was wondering, my little girl is 2 years old and her counsin that is 5 yeras old showed her his private parts. I had a talk with her but I'm still worried about it. Can someone please help. Thanks
if it were me, I would just talk to her and explain that the parts that our clothes covered up is not for any one to see and tell her that if it happens again to telll the little boy that she does not want to see because those are his private part and tell her to let him know that the next time he shows her she is going to tell you or his mommy. Maybe that will get him to stop.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next | Last