Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

November 15, 2005, 10:49 am CST

Teething

I am at my wits end with my infant son! The teething is killing his dad and me. Its constant screaming and drooling ALL the time. I have done research on this like any parent and have tried all remedies to help him deal with the pain. The only thing I have not tried is whiskey on the gums and I want to know if there are other parents who have tried it and how it has worked. Everything I have read on the net says its Taboo, but I am in desperate need of help. He doesnt sleep any more than 6 hours at a time anyhow, but now it has gotten worse because he is in so much pain with the teeth. Please advise me if this has worked for you and how often you used it.

November 15, 2005, 11:31 am CST

Thumb Sucking

I am a lab tech in an orthodontic practice. I see the long term effects every day of thumb sucking or pacifier sucking too long and babies not being weaned off a bottle at an early enough age. A lot of these kids eventually develop an "open bite". This means when they bite together, there is a space in between their top and botoom teeth in the front, even though the back teeth are together. This space is usually big enough to stick a finger or two into. One thing you cna do for thumb sucking, short of going to the dentist/orthodontist to get a thumb habit appliance, is to tape a popsicle stick to the thumb that they suck. Tape one to both if they try to switch hands. This subtle reminder when they put their thumb to their mouth will hopefully break the habit over time. Hope this advice helps anyone struggling with this issue.

November 15, 2005, 11:59 am CST

Thoughts??

Quote From: elizainva

I am a lab tech in an orthodontic practice. I see the long term effects every day of thumb sucking or pacifier sucking too long and babies not being weaned off a bottle at an early enough age. A lot of these kids eventually develop an "open bite". This means when they bite together, there is a space in between their top and botoom teeth in the front, even though the back teeth are together. This space is usually big enough to stick a finger or two into. One thing you cna do for thumb sucking, short of going to the dentist/orthodontist to get a thumb habit appliance, is to tape a popsicle stick to the thumb that they suck. Tape one to both if they try to switch hands. This subtle reminder when they put their thumb to their mouth will hopefully break the habit over time. Hope this advice helps anyone struggling with this issue.
Will that also work if the child is sucking on their index finger?? My daughter will be 3 in January and she sucks on her index finger. She does it all night long. Can that cause open bite??

November 15, 2005, 5:17 pm CST

General Advice

Quote From: misskanell

Will that also work if the child is sucking on their index finger?? My daughter will be 3 in January and she sucks on her index finger. She does it all night long. Can that cause open bite??
Yes, it should. Granted, this remedy does not work for every child. They do eventually get wise to it and try to remove the popsicle stick when you are not looking. But anything being stuck in the mouth between the teeth will cause an open bite if it is there enough to force the teeth into a different growth pattern. If the popsicle stick doesnt work for your child, then I would suggest going to a dentist or an orthodontist and getting a fixed thumb habit appliance. It is very effective for that type of problem. It is basically 2 bands cemented to the back first molars and there is a "gate" that is attached to the bands that sits right behind the top teeth in the front. So, when they go to insert the finger or thumb, they hit the gate. Over time, hopefully, this breaks them of the habit. And I would try the popsicle stick first just because its much more inexpensive.

November 15, 2005, 9:54 pm CST

RE: THUMB SUCKING...

Yes, it should. Granted, this remedy does not work for every child. They do eventually get wise to it and try to remove the popsicle stick when you are not looking. But anything being stuck in the mouth between the teeth will cause an open bite if it is there enough to force the teeth into a different growth pattern. If the popsicle stick doesnt work for your child, then I would suggest going to a dentist or an orthodontist and getting a fixed thumb habit appliance. It is very effective for that type of problem. It is basically 2 bands cemented to the back first molars and there is a "gate" that is attached to the bands that sits right behind the top teeth in the front. So, when they go to insert the finger or thumb, they hit the gate. Over time, hopefully, this breaks them of the habit. And I would try the popsicle stick first just because its much more inexpensive.

Another idea that we have tried is to put a bandaid on the thumb(s) and or fingers that the child sucks. It does seem to work for awhile. Just a thought there. 

TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

November 16, 2005, 9:33 am CST

Bath time blues

I have a two year old daughter. She loves taking baths, except when it come time to wash her hair. She starts screamingn and leaning over the side of the tub, getting water everywhere. She hates it! My husband won't let me cut her hair(she has mid-back length hair) and I'm not even sure that would help. But I don't know what will. I also have a one year old son who has started doing the same. Which makes me think that maybe I am not doing something right. I work 10 hrs a day, and my husbnd works two jobs, so at night I am a single parent basically, and I do not have time to sit and let them play in the tub for three hours so that she will wet her own hair. I have tried those visors, they don't stay one. I have tried a washclothe over her face, she drops it in the water and then doesn't want to use it. It has gotton really bad. I loathe bath time. I end up angry and she is crying. Something has got to change. Someone please help!!

November 17, 2005, 5:03 am CST

Cry Baby

This is my first child and he is now 15months old. I have not really had any problems with him till now. All he does ALL day long is cry. He cries cause he wants up, and cries to get down, and around it goes. I don't understand what is wrong with him. When I leave the room he cries, when I come back in the room he cries. It seams like nothing makes him happy. What should I do?? 

November 19, 2005, 10:58 pm CST

General Advice

Quote From: kmayle1983

This is my first child and he is now 15months old. I have not really had any problems with him till now. All he does ALL day long is cry. He cries cause he wants up, and cries to get down, and around it goes. I don't understand what is wrong with him. When I leave the room he cries, when I come back in the room he cries. It seams like nothing makes him happy. What should I do?? 

Sounds like maybe an attachment problem....what is his childcare experience like? Do you stay at home with him? Anything new or tramatic happen in his life? Teething?

November 19, 2005, 11:00 pm CST

Ideas for Disciplining a 19 month old????

I have a 19 month old son, I am in need of advice.....I am at a loss for ideas for disciplining, he is getting into the terrible twos, throwing fits, pulling hair, throwing things and otherwise doing things he knows he's not supposed to do. He doesn't act up ALL the time, just sometimes, and when he does I had tried time out, first I started with a minute, set up a good time out place in his room.  

I was concerned about having to make him stay put (due to his age) so I set up an old playpen (that he never uses anymore) to use as time out, the first few times he would cry, then he stopped. I tried increasing the time to a minute and a half and that didn't work either. He doesn't have anything to do in there but yet it seems like its a game to him, sometimes I even go back in to get him and he doesnt want out!!!! What a punishment, huh.  

I have been trying spanking his butt, he can't really feel it since he has a diaper on, and that seems to work. He stops what he's doing, lays on the floor, throws his fit like he's upset because he was told no and I walk away. He normally doesn't go back to that behavior immediately. The problem I have with that is I don't want to teach him it's ok to "hit"  

Anyone have any other  ideas????   

November 19, 2005, 11:10 pm CST

General Advice

I am at my wits end with my infant son! The teething is killing his dad and me. Its constant screaming and drooling ALL the time. I have done research on this like any parent and have tried all remedies to help him deal with the pain. The only thing I have not tried is whiskey on the gums and I want to know if there are other parents who have tried it and how it has worked. Everything I have read on the net says its Taboo, but I am in desperate need of help. He doesnt sleep any more than 6 hours at a time anyhow, but now it has gotten worse because he is in so much pain with the teeth. Please advise me if this has worked for you and how often you used it.

I wouldn't try Whiskey....try Hylands Teething tablets....not sure where you live but a Fred Meyer, Walmart....most grocery stores sell them so just look around. They work wonders! And immediately, I think they must taste good too....I always used with my son these teething tablets, they are completely safe and natural (dissolve right in their mouths), then on his really bad days I would give him both the tablets and tylenol to relieve the pain.  

I know how frustrating it is when they are teething - I'm a single parent and it's really frustrating sometimes (my son is currently getting in his two yr molars, these are the worst so far) but I just remind myself of how I feel when I am in pain or don't feel good. It's not fun, imagine how it feels when you have a toothache, then try to think of a tooth breaking through your senstivie gums, ouch!  

You could also try numbing gel, if you haven't tried that already. How old is your son? 

HOPE THIS HELPS!!  

First | Prev | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next | Last