Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

October 24, 2005, 2:34 pm CDT

Anger Issues

My son is 17 months old and seems to be very angry now that we are so busy and can't spend too much time with him.  My husband works two jobs and I am going to school full time and working part time...we still can't afford the daycare costs (even after DSHS assistance).  We have no family or friends that can or will watch him even though he is normally a very pleasant and well behaved child.  Recently he started banging his head on anything that can do damage to get attention when he is mad.  I try to stop and comfort him, or sometimes I just let him be and walk away.  I have tried so many different methods WHAT DO I DO?  We both can't just quit our jobs and I can't give up my only opportunity at school.  Please email me with ANY feedback!!! RasmussenRLS@yahoo.com

October 25, 2005, 8:09 pm CDT

showering w/kids

Hello all, I am a military wife and mother of three.  I would like some input.  I am curious at what age it is inappropriate to shower with your kids.  I usually have my hands full and on occasion i will shower with one of our girls to save time when we are running late.  She is only 19 months and is more intersted in blowing bubbles than my private parts.  I would appreciate some feedback.  Right now I don't really see a problem with it, but when are kids too old to do this. 

October 29, 2005, 12:22 pm CDT

When to move to a big-girl bed

Quote From: nicoleao

My daughter is 2 yrs. old and still sleeping in her crib. Friends have told me to keep her in it until she starts to climb out, then get a toddler bed for her. I don't want her to be 3 yrs. old and still in her crib. When is usually the best time/ age to transition her to a more "grown up" bed?
We moved our daughter to a queen-size bed when she was 2 1/2.  She just looked too big for her crib.  She never climbed out of it, so that advice may not apply to your daughter either.  I skipped the toddler bed and went straight to her last-for-a-while-bed since we already had it in our guest room.  She loves sleeping in her big bed now, and it was a completely smooth transition.  You just have to make the decision, and try it when you think the time is right.  Best wishes!

October 29, 2005, 12:32 pm CDT

Quality time

Quote From: latisha

My son is 17 months old and seems to be very angry now that we are so busy and can't spend too much time with him.  My husband works two jobs and I am going to school full time and working part time...we still can't afford the daycare costs (even after DSHS assistance).  We have no family or friends that can or will watch him even though he is normally a very pleasant and well behaved child.  Recently he started banging his head on anything that can do damage to get attention when he is mad.  I try to stop and comfort him, or sometimes I just let him be and walk away.  I have tried so many different methods WHAT DO I DO?  We both can't just quit our jobs and I can't give up my only opportunity at school.  Please email me with ANY feedback!!! RasmussenRLS@yahoo.com

The ideal scenario would involve one of you giving up one of your commitments to spend more time with your son.  It sounds as though he is acting out because of an inconsistent schedule, and lack of security.  Children thrive when their lives are predictable and structured.  You'll want to make sure that the time you spend with him is not hurried, stressful, or distracted(such as TV all the time).  Since you do recognize that the problem is his needing of attention from mom & dad, maybe you & your husband could sit down and weigh the benefits vs. the harm being done as a result of your busy lives.  Daycare costs are expensive, and maybe if you were able to quit your part-time job you could make more time with your son work (If you're working just to afford daycare costs, then is it really necessary?).  Try to think of the long-term goals you have for your family:  In 10 years, your son won't remember the money you're making to stay afloat, but he will be able to look back and see that mom & dad spent time with him on a regular, consistent basis.  You'll be teaching him that he is important and loved by making time for him.  Best wishes, I know it's a hard situation! 

October 29, 2005, 8:46 pm CDT

Frustrations with Dell Corporation

So I bought a Dell computer, great computer.  But I don't know if I'll ever buy anything else from Dell again.  I feel I'm being harassed by the collections department on a daily basis.  I'm not too pleased buy the fact that 90% of the people that call from collections mispronounce my four letter last name. 

I understand that when I'm late on a payment that a "reminder" call is sometimes necessary.  But to place around 20 of these "reminder" calls almost daily?  That's way too much even for me. When I can get a straight answer out of anyone, they say that they only call "no more than three times a day".  Sure, and I rule the world. 

Tonight (10/29/05) I went wandering around the Dell homepage trying to find information about the policy in place for the collections department.  I didn't find anything, but I did find a message board where a couple people had posted comments about harassing phone calls from collections.  When I clicked on the link, there was no message, just a note saying that what I was looking for had been deleted.  That makes me start to wonder.  Why was the message deleted?  Was the message really posted?  What is Dell trying to hide?  Why was I denied my request to talk to a supervisor of one particularly harassing caller? 

Yeah, so those are my thoughts on that matter. 

November 1, 2005, 7:45 am CST

Searching for Me

I am the mother to a great 2 1/2 year old and I'm pregnant with a boy due in March 06. I stay home and at times I just feel so lonely. We live about 20 miles from the nearest town and my friends all work. And of course, my husband works and is gone from 7-6 every day. Any advice on how to do more for me? I feel like if I'm not giving my son all of my attention I am failing him somehow even though I know intellectually this is not true.

November 1, 2005, 10:39 am CST

AZ mom

I am a young mother of 2 wonderful kids. My daughter is 2 1/2 and my son just turned one. When I was pregnant with my son my ex (their sperm donor) tried to kill me. If I hadn't droped my daughter off at the babysitters I know in my heart he would of killed her. After that happened I moved to a different state and lived with a friend of mine. Because of all of the court dates, I unfortunitly had to move back. After everything was done I moved some 2000 miles away. I'm now with a new guy and both of my kids call him dad. He's a really great guy and he's very caring. But that's not what I need advice on. When I take my daughter to day care, she is terrified to stay their. She has gone to 3 babysitters and 1daycare (where she is now). The first babysitter locked her in a room and left her there all day. The second one said she couldn't watch the kids anymore because they weren't there full time. The third one hit my daughter and left marks (no, the cops didn't do anything). Where she is now is a Christian daycare. The people are super nice and would do anything for anybody. The thing is every morning when I drop her off she just cries and cries and cries. She's been going there for 6 weeks now and it's getting out of hand with her crying. I'm afraid the daycare won't keep taking her if she's keeps crying. How can I get my daughter to stop crying and realize the people there aren't going to hurt her? The poor girl has been through way too much BS in her life and I just want her to feel safe and happy.  

November 1, 2005, 10:56 am CST

Need Help!

I am a stay at home mother of a 2 yr. old son.  I also do daycare for my two nephews who are 3 and 4 months.  I started watching my 3 yr. old nephew when he was 1yr and my son was just a newborn.  My problem is, as they get older, they fight more.  It's non-stop!!  They fight over everything from toys to who's going to talk to me!  I know it sounds crazy but it's true.  My main form of discipline is the time-out strategy when they are aggressive (hitting, biting etc).  I'm not joking when I say this, they would both be in time out from the time they arrive at our house until they leave if I put them in time out each time they fought.  I've tried talking with them, roll playing etc.  I've run out of ideas and am growing increasingly impatient.  I don't know if the fighting stems from them being so close in age (only 10 months apart) or if it's something I'm doing.   

Now that I have a 4 month old nephew to also watch after it's increasingly difficult to keep the toddlers busy and not fighting.  I'm due with our second son in Feb. '06 and it's freaking me out because I just don't know how I'm going to handle it once I have 4 boys under the age of 4, in the house.  Does anyone have any advice for helping my son and his cousin get along throughout the day?  Thanks for your help! 

November 1, 2005, 6:13 pm CST

Outsourcing

Quote From: rayvinfive

So I bought a Dell computer, great computer.  But I don't know if I'll ever buy anything else from Dell again.  I feel I'm being harassed by the collections department on a daily basis.  I'm not too pleased buy the fact that 90% of the people that call from collections mispronounce my four letter last name. 

I understand that when I'm late on a payment that a "reminder" call is sometimes necessary.  But to place around 20 of these "reminder" calls almost daily?  That's way too much even for me. When I can get a straight answer out of anyone, they say that they only call "no more than three times a day".  Sure, and I rule the world. 

Tonight (10/29/05) I went wandering around the Dell homepage trying to find information about the policy in place for the collections department.  I didn't find anything, but I did find a message board where a couple people had posted comments about harassing phone calls from collections.  When I clicked on the link, there was no message, just a note saying that what I was looking for had been deleted.  That makes me start to wonder.  Why was the message deleted?  Was the message really posted?  What is Dell trying to hide?  Why was I denied my request to talk to a supervisor of one particularly harassing caller? 

Yeah, so those are my thoughts on that matter. 

Welcome to the world of outsourcing! These companies hire people in India and other countries at very low wages to perform jobs Americans used to.....it keeps costs down and keeps our citizens in even lower paying jobs...... 

While I've never dealt with Dells' collections dept, I have called about billing errors- for instance, one time they charged me 113% interest on the remainder of my balance (balance was $47.50). After many many calls, it was finally corrected, but despite the fact the people on the other end of the phone insisted they were in Indiana USA, they sure had funny accents and didn't sound anything like David Letterman. And how often do you say, when someone asks where you are from, you would say "Florida   USA" ???Good luck-  Next time, get a gateway- I love mine..... 

November 1, 2005, 6:18 pm CST

Showers

Quote From: ambitiousj

Hello all, I am a military wife and mother of three.  I would like some input.  I am curious at what age it is inappropriate to shower with your kids.  I usually have my hands full and on occasion i will shower with one of our girls to save time when we are running late.  She is only 19 months and is more intersted in blowing bubbles than my private parts.  I would appreciate some feedback.  Right now I don't really see a problem with it, but when are kids too old to do this. 
They will tell you when they don't want to take a shower with you- "MOMMM- I want to take my shower ALOOOOOOOOOOONE" My kids (2 and 4) are naked about half the time, and no one cares- we do live out in the country, so you probably couldn't get away with it in the city.....Whatever you feel comfortable with is the perfect time.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next | Last