Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 30, 2005, 12:05 am CDT

No milk for this baby!

Hello, I have a 10 month old baby girl. I breast fed her from the day she was born, but in the beginnig I needed to give her formula as well.  This continued until she was 7 and half months old.  She suddenly went off milk altogether. I changed formulas, but still she would not drink it.  I then added flavour to her milk e.g strawberry etc.. but still she refused.  I then started giving her just breast milk.  About  month ago she did want breast milk either. Does any one have any advice?  do babies have to drink milk? She drink s about 1litre of juice a day so she gets enough liquid.  She eats very well as well.

September 30, 2005, 11:15 am CDT

stop giving in

Quote From: mom_of_dk

My daughter is 20 months old, and still takes her pacifier. She actually seems more depedent on it now than she did before.. :( I don't mind her having it for nap/bedtime, but I am trying to get her off it during the day. She walks around saying "pacy" until I give it to her. My doctor recommended at her 18 month checkup for me to work on taking her off, but advised not to go "cold turkey" . I feel guilty if she asks for it and I tell her no. She starts to cry and I just give in. Does anyone have any really great tricks for this? ? this is my first child and I have no idea how to handle.. :( She also goes to daycare 4days a week, so i need a strategy that i can work with them on as well. .. HELP .. : )
 There are no tricks here. I think first and foremost before you try taking anything away you need to commit to stop giving in.  This is extremly important now and down the road.  She only will scream, louder, longer and harder as the years go on.  Stop it now while you still have some control.  Start teaching her that you are not going to give in with little things like turning the tv off after 1 show (if she watches it) or going to the park and leave when you say it's time to go.  whatever interests her.  set limits and stick to them.  you will be sorry later if you don't do something about it now!  discover why you feel guilty and let it go. crying will not hurt her she has learned to do it because that is how she will get her way.  Look for tears, i'd bet there aren't any.  Don't get me wrong it is alot of hard work.  I have been teaching my son this from day one but you know what when I say stop if he's going near the street, he stops.  If he really wants a toy, I tell him no, there's little or no arguing.  He knows what I say I mean.  As for day care only let them give it to her at naptime.  That's it.  If you want bring in a book or teddy bear for her to have when it is not nap time.  You can do the same at home.  They need to do what you are doing and visa versa or this will not work.  Sounds like tough love I know but it will only benefit her down the road and she won't be one of those out of control kids on dr phil.  Those kids aren't born that way they were taught that way and don't have any other tools but screaming to handle situations.  This will not change over night  It took 20 months to get here so give it 3-5 weeks to change as long as you and your spouse are commited. best of luck
karen

September 30, 2005, 11:20 am CDT

your baby needs the fat in milk

Quote From: vanessa1

Hello, I have a 10 month old baby girl. I breast fed her from the day she was born, but in the beginnig I needed to give her formula as well.  This continued until she was 7 and half months old.  She suddenly went off milk altogether. I changed formulas, but still she would not drink it.  I then added flavour to her milk e.g strawberry etc.. but still she refused.  I then started giving her just breast milk.  About  month ago she did want breast milk either. Does any one have any advice?  do babies have to drink milk? She drink s about 1litre of juice a day so she gets enough liquid.  She eats very well as well.
 babies need milk for the fat and calcium to help them and their brains grow. She can get this from cheese, yogurt, pudding, calcium fortified butter, cereal etc. my son loves these drinkable yogurts. put a straw in one and give it a shot.   a sippy cup may not be a bad idea either. Take a break and try milk in a week or so.  It's probably becoming a source of power and control for the two of you.  I would suggest to limit her juice.  water is better and of course she would want something sweet over milk.  It also fills them up faster.  give it a try. you never know.
Karen

September 30, 2005, 6:19 pm CDT

General Advice

Quote From: vanessa1

Though I was giving my children breast milk, I started giving them whole milk at about a year old. I also agree with the other post to you, they definetly need milk........

October 1, 2005, 10:15 am CDT

7 month old changed sleeping habits

Hi, 

My 7 month old started doing something new the other day. She's always been such an easy baby and a great sleeper. Well about a week ago she started standing up in her crib and now never wants to sleep! I used to put her down for a nap and she'd go right to sleep.  Now she is so tired and keeping herself awake by standing up and screaming. Is this a teething syptom? SHe already has her bottom two teeth.... I need help because nothing is getting done around the house and she's so cranky because she's not getting the sleep and naps she needs. 

Thanks, 

Stephanie  

October 1, 2005, 6:08 pm CDT

HI THERE, STEPHANIE...

Quote From: 1stbabydue

Hi, 

My 7 month old started doing something new the other day. She's always been such an easy baby and a great sleeper. Well about a week ago she started standing up in her crib and now never wants to sleep! I used to put her down for a nap and she'd go right to sleep.  Now she is so tired and keeping herself awake by standing up and screaming. Is this a teething syptom? SHe already has her bottom two teeth.... I need help because nothing is getting done around the house and she's so cranky because she's not getting the sleep and naps she needs. 

Thanks, 

Stephanie  

Yes it could be her teething. Teething can effect babies very differently. My daughter, who by the way is named Stephanie, sailed through the teething quite well. Even when she had about 5 teeth coming through at the same time the only thing she had was very messy nappies. And yes she ended up with a red raw bum but that didn't seem to worry her at all. 

Where as other babies go through hell and back when they are teething. This is what might be happening with your little girl. Have you tried giving her something to help with the pain. Or do you have some stuff that you can put on her gums to sooth the pain.  Or even one of those teething rings that you can put in the freezer. 

And please remember that if any time you don't feel right about your little girl then please take her to your Doctor.  You will learn to pick up any signs about wheather she is well or not.  

In the meantime so that you can get some sleep maybe you could ask your hubby/boyfriend if he is there to give you a break once in awhile or even if you could ask your parents to give you a break once in awhile. 

And please don't worry about the housework, it can wait. TAKE CARE, LOVE KELLY. 

October 7, 2005, 12:34 pm CDT

mamma's girl

I need some help!...My 6 mo. old daughter is sooo attached to me that she won't let anyone, sometimes not even my husband, hold her or care for her.  She will just scream and cry until I come and get her and then she's all smiles again.  I know it's normal for babies to be attached to their mommy but this is getting insane!  I  am totally drained and tired all the time because even though I have lots of family and my husband to help I feel  like I'm the only one who she will let care for her.  I just never get to take a break.  I 've tried to just let her cry but she will not stop and cries so hard she starts coughing and choking.  Plus, I feel bad for whoever is trying to hold her because she is just crying and crying so I eventually take her from them.  My older daughter was attached to me as a baby but not nearly like this one is.  It's really sucking the life out of me.  

Any advice on how to wean her off of me a little so I can get a much needed break? 

Thanks, Natalie 

October 12, 2005, 1:12 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: madi2ava

I need some help!...My 6 mo. old daughter is sooo attached to me that she won't let anyone, sometimes not even my husband, hold her or care for her.  She will just scream and cry until I come and get her and then she's all smiles again.  I know it's normal for babies to be attached to their mommy but this is getting insane!  I  am totally drained and tired all the time because even though I have lots of family and my husband to help I feel  like I'm the only one who she will let care for her.  I just never get to take a break.  I 've tried to just let her cry but she will not stop and cries so hard she starts coughing and choking.  Plus, I feel bad for whoever is trying to hold her because she is just crying and crying so I eventually take her from them.  My older daughter was attached to me as a baby but not nearly like this one is.  It's really sucking the life out of me.  

Any advice on how to wean her off of me a little so I can get a much needed break? 

Thanks, Natalie 

Hello Natalie, My daughter who is now 10 and half months old was the same.  I stayed at home with her until she was 8 months old and then I had to go back to work.  I got a maid to look after her, but she would scream the minute the women came near her. I to could not leave her with anyone. I then tried a creche (day care) I unfortunetly had no other choice and every time I left her there she would scream and cry - it absolutely broke my heart! For the first two weeks I don't know who cried more - her or me!  I felt very guilty for leaving her there and going to work.  I eventually could not handle it any more and took her out of the creche!  My maid then said she wanted to look after her and surprise - surprise - she stopped crying!  She learnt that if I was not there she would need to trust some one else. She was in her own environment, with her own toys, and was quite happy.  Now when the maid comes in the mornings she takes her from me and I go to work. At the age of about 6 months they do start getting attached to their caregivers and I am sure it is quite traumatic for these little people to be taken away from their mommy - they have been with us from the moment of conception after all!  When we go visit people, I like my little one to first get used to her new surrowndings and the new faces and she will then start to interact with them on her own - call it "getting room temperature".  I must say as they get closer to 12 months it does seem to be easier.  Another good idea is to go to a play group where moms and their babies get together - that way you can meet new moms and she can play with other babies.

October 14, 2005, 12:47 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: 1stbabydue

Hi, 

Thanks, 

Stephanie  

Hi!  I have a 12month old daughter who also  is a wonderful sleeper.  But every so often she will go through a phase where she will test me to see if i will give in and get her up if she cries. I dont give in and she goes back to going to sleep on her own.  Babies may be little but they are smart. Maybe yours is just testing you.  Let her cry awhile and she will realize your not giving in. She will go back to her routine.  Also moms know if theres really something wrong. So definitely listen to your instincts.   I hope everything gets better. Times like this are hard but they pass. Good luck!   - melissa-  OKC

October 14, 2005, 8:08 pm CDT

stripping

hi, i need some advice on how i can get my 2 year old to leave her cloths on when i put her to sleep.she not only takes off her pj's but her diaper too.right now i have to put her pj's on backwards so she can't reach the zipper.this has been going on for at least 5 months.i'm hoping this is something she will just grow out of,but it's been a while.anyone will any advice please. thanks gina

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next | Last