Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 584
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:42:49 pm
Author : dataimport
Share advice and support with other parents of infants and toddlers.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

February 5, 2008, 10:54 am CST

sleeping troubles

About a week ago I went to Florida for a job interview,  while away my wife was playing with our daughter when she hit her head and split her ear open. She ended up getting stitches that night. My wife returned home late from the ER and decided it would be best to have her sleep in bed with her. It has been a little over a week now and she still wants to sleep in our bed. I watch her throughout the day due to unemployment and never have a problem putting her down for a nap in the afternoon, but when bed time comes she throws a fit and refuses to sleep in her be. Note.... She has been sleeping in a toddler bed for quite a while now with no problems whatsoever. She always has been a good sleeper since the begining. Any advice on getting her to sleep in her own bed would be fantastic, I am soooooo tired, as is my wife. Thanks Aaron

February 6, 2008, 4:02 am CST

h my almost 3 yr old son is a potty mouth

My son, Storm will be turning 3 on 5th April this year & already he has the foulest language I've ever seen or heard from someone his age.

I know as a parent this is both distressing and very embarrassing. Nothing I do or say seems to be working to correct this disgraceful behavior and was hoping there would be someone out there that has a "Wonder Cure" for me.

So your probably going to ask how did this happen or when did it start, so the truth is coming out now

* am i innocent- no i do swear and have myself to partly blame

* have i stopped yes i try my hardest to not swear or have people that swear around him

* is swearing second nature in this house- well according to me it is but others no there perfect.

* i try so hard to reason with him, tried the naughty corner, everything. and all i seem to get back "f you mummy" or "f off"

i feel I'm at my wits end and feel he just looks at me laughs or that I'm some big bad mum

so if there is someone out there that could offer advice ect please feel free to drop me a line stormb545@optusnet.com.au

Cheers from a frustrated aussie mum

Lauren

February 28, 2008, 7:17 am CST

Vacation advice !!!

My husband is going back home to PA for two weeks and he wants to take our daughter with him.

That's perfectly fine with me....we used to live there, we moved this past Aug to FL....well, long story short, is two weeks to long for her to be away from mommy ? Even though she lived around his family for almost two years and she's going with her dad, I'm still alittle nervous about i9t being so long...I've never spent a day with out her...let alone two weeks !!!

Think she'll be ok????

February 28, 2008, 8:38 am CST

Vacation Advice....

I forgot to add that our daughter is only 2 years old and I can't get time off to go.

I'm just concerned that maybe two weeks is too long for a 2yr old's mind to cope with not being arnd mom or home, for that matter.  Although she's been arnd his side of the family since birth until this past Aug....I;m not sure if she'll remember who they are and that may scare her or...she may end up having tons of fun with all of her cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents , and of course Daddy!!!

What do you all think?

Thanks for the info!

March 5, 2008, 7:18 am CST

19 Year Old Stepmom

I'm 19. my boyfriend has a two year old son with a girl much younger than me, and some one I had problems with in high school. I need help dealing with my anger towards him, my hate for her and I really do not want to resent this child. It's not his fault a one night stand resulted in a really complicated situation. She has since dropped out of school, has no job and lives a life I do not understand adding to my concern for the kid and anger towards her. I feel like the only sane one in the situation but my label as his girl friend is not respected and neither is my opinion.

March 13, 2008, 1:42 pm CDT

Advice???

I don't know if this is going to the right place but I can only hope someone with any bit of knowledge in this issue will read this and be of some help! I have a 3 year old son whom I have raised by myself since he was 5 months old. He is my entire world and the love of my life honestly, we have this wonderful relationship that bears the true meaning of unconditional love! Everything i have done for the last 3 years has been because of him, I struggled through school as a single mother so I could provide better for him on top of tons of other things to make things better for him! He saved my life when I found out I was pregnent and has continued to do so on a daily basis! Aside from that I am also a soldier in the National Guard and got the horrible news that my unit is deploying to Iraq in August with training begginning in early June.

So of course the gut wrenching feeling of how I was going to survive without my son for that long is the first thing that came to my mind and secondly where is the best place for him to go..... I still don't know the answer to my first problem and cry everytime i have to think about managing that for that matter. The second one I had figured out until none other than his dead beat father comes back and wants to have him while I'm gone. When we divorced I gave him joint custody because he said he wanted to be there for our son and i wanted that too, well obviosuly that didn't happen and now having gone since Christmas of 2006 without seeing him he wants to keep him! I am not feeling good about this for many reasons and the biggest one being I don't trust the man to take care of my son the way I do. Well let me be honest, I don't trust anyone to take care of him the way I do, I think every mother feels that way. Then there is the infancy amnesia factor, he will not make a point to make sure that my son remembers me while I am gone! I have no idea what to do or if I am just maybe over reacting but I need help! I am losing sleep and getting ill over this! Anything will do, thank for your time! live4love12134@yahoo.com

March 16, 2008, 7:56 pm CDT

Separation anxiety ??

I have a 5 year old and a 7 month old and if challenges that they place before me are not hard enough, the young one is now showing very clear signs of what I think to be separation anxiety. She does not cry when my husband takes her to daycare or even when I have to drop her by there some (I work three days a week-12 hour shifts, so when I am off she does not go to daycare usually). She screams though, if I put her in the floor in the living room and began to clean the house (which requires me going from room to room). She is fine if I am in the same room as she is, but when I leave within seconds the crying starts. She recently started to cry when others held her even if I am standing there. This is hard because she does this with grandparents, cousins, friends, etc... I can't get anything done around the house and I don't know what to do about it. She won't even sleep in her crib (even if I get her to sleep first and lay her down, she instantly wakes up and cries). I need some help!! my first child did not do this.

should I let her just cry it out or will that cause her to have little trust in me if I don't meet her needs??

Any suggestions???

April 2, 2008, 6:32 pm CDT

I miss my step-son

I need help! 6 months ago i split up with my partner. we were together for 3 years and during that time i would mind his son with him for 4 days a week. My partner worked so i would have his son wile he was at work for 2 of them days. The little boy isn't even 4yo yet and recently my ex went and told the mother of his son that  i shouldn't see his son anymore and she agreed. I have started a new relationship and i know that this is all because of that and i dont agree on making that little boy that absolutly adores me suffer because of his own fathers spite. When we parted 6 months ago we all agreed that it would be in his sons best interest for him to still have contact with me 2 days a week. I havn't had a chance to say goodbye to my little boy because they told me over the phone and plus i dont know if i should do that because i know it would hurt him. What do i do? I wanna do the right thing , I love this little boy and i have done everything i could to make his life a happy one and now i have lost him. I know how much pain he would be feeling and i feel powerless cause i cant make it better for him.

April 2, 2008, 6:59 pm CDT

Goodluck!

Quote From: bensjem2

I'm 19. my boyfriend has a two year old son with a girl much younger than me, and some one I had problems with in high school. I need help dealing with my anger towards him, my hate for her and I really do not want to resent this child. It's not his fault a one night stand resulted in a really complicated situation. She has since dropped out of school, has no job and lives a life I do not understand adding to my concern for the kid and anger towards her. I feel like the only sane one in the situation but my label as his girl friend is not respected and neither is my opinion.
I really believe that there might be a little Jelousey from you because that girl got the most wonderful thing in the world out of your boyfriend. And because she probably isn't a very nice person you despise the fact that she was blessed in that way. To be honest with you, If i am right in what i say, the feelings you have are completely normal. Dont let what she does effect your relationship with that child. I know that at the start it will be hard, but eventually it will get easier and you might realise that this child is actualy a blessing for you too. The fact that the child is so young means that you could be a real positive infulence on this child. Just remember at the end of the day you have your boyfriend, she doesn't. You have all the time in the world to do what you want, she doesn't. And you have got this little boy too. So look at things this way and dont stop. YOU GOT THE BETTER PART OF THE DEAL HERE! Dont let your feelings effect that child let him be a happy kid for as long as possible and what ever you do don't let her effect your relationship with your boyfriend. Dont give her any more fuel to keep going.Goodluck!

April 21, 2008, 12:14 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: morrisgirls

I have a 5 year old and a 7 month old and if challenges that they place before me are not hard enough, the young one is now showing very clear signs of what I think to be separation anxiety. She does not cry when my husband takes her to daycare or even when I have to drop her by there some (I work three days a week-12 hour shifts, so when I am off she does not go to daycare usually). She screams though, if I put her in the floor in the living room and began to clean the house (which requires me going from room to room). She is fine if I am in the same room as she is, but when I leave within seconds the crying starts. She recently started to cry when others held her even if I am standing there. This is hard because she does this with grandparents, cousins, friends, etc... I can't get anything done around the house and I don't know what to do about it. She won't even sleep in her crib (even if I get her to sleep first and lay her down, she instantly wakes up and cries). I need some help!! my first child did not do this.

should I let her just cry it out or will that cause her to have little trust in me if I don't meet her needs??

Any suggestions???

I have four grown kids and I seem to remember that they all went through a stage of not wanting anyone but me. I can't remember how long this lasted though, possibly a year or so. I would suggest that you take her with you to each room. When she is older she will follow you. Talk to her and keep looking at her but let her amuse herself on the floor. Play with her some of the time but you don't need to do this constantly. As she gets older she will be able to entertain herself more and more. Your 5 y.o. could be encouraged to play with her when he/she is home for some of the time. If she cries when you put her down, tell her reassuringly that you will just do such and such and then do _ with her. You should be able to leave her for increasingly longer periods when she gets involved in her play. Try to rotate her toys and give her easy jobs to do as she gets older. She will love to help you.

If she won't sleep in her crib she needs to get used to you leaving her there for longer and longer periods. You could start by sitting in her room and then gradually moving further away. Tell her that you will be back to check on her in 5 mins, then 6 mins then 7 etc. When she wakes after a sleep you need to pick her up  and let her go with you.

Also you may have to relax your standards a little while she is so young. You will get more of a chance to do housework when she is older.

All the best

Musiclover7

First | Prev | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | Next | Last