Message Boards

Topic : General Advice

Number of Replies: 2034
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, July 01, 2005, 04:46:09 pm
Author : dataimport
Have a question or problem concerning your child? Share advice and support with other parents.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 9, 2008, 3:04 pm CDT

child caught cheating at school

My boyfriend's son, whose age is 7, always acts out at the beginning of the school year, "states his father" This year has been no different. He has gotten into trouble for clogging up toilets, interrupting in class, and last week he got caught cheating on his spelling test.  His father went over his spelling test with him beforehand and his son knew every word.  He's tried to discipline him by spanking, taking away privileges but nothing seems to work for him. Just when he thinks his son is finally on track, he does something to get himself into trouble again.  My boyfriend is a single father, who lost his wife to cancer, anyway he is stuck and doesn't know what else to do.  Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

September 10, 2008, 9:14 am CDT

General Advice

I have a 6 year old daughter from a previous relationship who is bi- racial. I;m white and her dad is african american. I also have been in a serious relationship with a great guy for almost 5 years... who loves her very much as does his entire family. My boyfriend is white also. My daughters dad is not in the picture at all and has really never known him. my question is how can I deal with my daughters questions about her real dad and her questions about race when she does start asking? I want to make sure that she never feels that she is different that us and always know that everyone loves her.

September 11, 2008, 8:26 pm CDT

feelings

My daughter is in the 5th grade she has many friends but the problem is  that we moved out to the country and she no longer is able to be with her friends like she did before we moved   and is now feeling left out, she is not being invited to birthday party's or to stay overnight anymore, they are still her friends its just not as convenient .  I need the right words to say to her to build her self esteem back up.  Thanks for the help!!

September 12, 2008, 9:19 am CDT

Step sons crying.

My stepson has been through a lot in his life and he is only 5. More than any 5 yr old should. First off he cries all the time. I can say "why did you put that toy there?" and he would replie "I dont know" then cry. If the teacher corrects him he cries. Doing is homework is a chore for me, he is learning letters and I will correct him on how to make a letter but then he will just do it wrong again so I correct him again..which he then cries. Its like anything we say good or bad he wants to cry. Its so bad his teachers say its dirupting class. And last year he almost got removed from pre-k due to cring.

So heres his background, Im not sure if this is playing a part or not. His mother is a drug abuser and has abandoned him twice now. Once at a few months old and another at 4 yrs. She just leaves and come when she pleases leaving him when anyone thats willing to take him. My step son can tell me what drugs look like and how you use them. He tells me about cops running in the house with guns. He has done Sexual  postions to a huge teddy bear, and Im not talking just missionary but also "from behind". His mother just recently married a random guy after knowing him a few weeks which my S-son spend all summer with. Just recently this guy died from a drug overdose, which we had to explane to our child about death. She has had human services called out alot for cutting herself in front of her child. Which my s-son has showed me what he calls "the right way to cut".

My step son is very smart and very respectful. I want nothing more than for him to be happy. I beleive his mother does love him very much she just make the wrong choices in her life. We want custady of him but we dont have the money for the lawyer. We have taken him to a thyrpist (sp?) but she wasnt much of a help. Anyone have any Idea why he does this or just some advice to help him stop crying

September 13, 2008, 6:47 pm CDT

Can you help me?

Hi Moms and Dads, 

I'm in the process of finishing up a book and could really use your help. 

I need to know from you....
1. Why you use social parent sites or forums?
2. What you like about social parenting sites and forums? (meet other moms, learn answers to important questions)
3. What you don't like about them? (hard to use, addictive.)
4. And your age (demographics) 

If you would like to have your name in my book leave first, last and how many children you have.  

I am forever grateful for any input, it really makes a difference. 

Ashley 

September 16, 2008, 12:18 pm CDT

not a regular case of bed wetting this time

Hi everyone my name is melissa. Im a 25 yr old mother of 3 and one on the way, and I need help.......BAD!
My 7 yr old son has a problem with peeing everywhere! He was potty trained at 3, and at about 5 he started wetting the bed we took him to a neurologist to determine if he just had problems with his bladder and he didnt. he hasnt wet the bed in about a year but he has now for a yr been peeing everywhere he will stand in front of his bed and pee along side of the box spring or against the wall or in a corner and a few weeks ago he pee'd in an electrical outlet we lost power in our apartment and sparks did come out. I'm worried my other kids are at risk now along with the other people living in the apartment complex. we have shampooed the carpets so many times the carpet fibers are wearing out and not to mention Im embarresed to have people over. we has talked to a therapist and he cant even figure anything out. does anyone else know what I can do? please

September 23, 2008, 11:01 am CDT

General Advice

Quote From: brittini

My stepson has been through a lot in his life and he is only 5. More than any 5 yr old should. First off he cries all the time. I can say "why did you put that toy there?" and he would replie "I dont know" then cry. If the teacher corrects him he cries. Doing is homework is a chore for me, he is learning letters and I will correct him on how to make a letter but then he will just do it wrong again so I correct him again..which he then cries. Its like anything we say good or bad he wants to cry. Its so bad his teachers say its dirupting class. And last year he almost got removed from pre-k due to cring.

So heres his background, Im not sure if this is playing a part or not. His mother is a drug abuser and has abandoned him twice now. Once at a few months old and another at 4 yrs. She just leaves and come when she pleases leaving him when anyone thats willing to take him. My step son can tell me what drugs look like and how you use them. He tells me about cops running in the house with guns. He has done Sexual  postions to a huge teddy bear, and Im not talking just missionary but also "from behind". His mother just recently married a random guy after knowing him a few weeks which my S-son spend all summer with. Just recently this guy died from a drug overdose, which we had to explane to our child about death. She has had human services called out alot for cutting herself in front of her child. Which my s-son has showed me what he calls "the right way to cut".

My step son is very smart and very respectful. I want nothing more than for him to be happy. I beleive his mother does love him very much she just make the wrong choices in her life. We want custady of him but we dont have the money for the lawyer. We have taken him to a thyrpist (sp?) but she wasnt much of a help. Anyone have any Idea why he does this or just some advice to help him stop crying

well Im not a doctor but I know that most children with parents that are drug users if they did drugs while pregnant, can create a child to develope A.D.D. or A.D.H.D. I have read alot about it due to my 7 yr old having it. drugs of corse arent the only cause. Im not sure what he is like as far as actions or activity but I do know that children that develop these problems tend to cry alot, alot more than you would expect. my son cries at the drop of a hat and is now developing a case of lying over simple things.
This may not be your case but you know him best it sounds like, so I would just do alittle research and see if it meets his criteria. good luck in your findings.

September 26, 2008, 6:02 pm CDT

Letting kids quit sports

I have a 12 year old stepson and he has been playing tag football for 7 years. Since he began he had dreams of playing for a highschool tackle team. My husband and I put him on a tackle team and he has hated it from the beginning because it hurts( he has never been one for pain). I feel he should stay in and ride it out the season even if on the bench but our problem is it takes up a huge amount of time during the week for him to just sit, three 2 hour prac per week, three hour games on sat. My husband says let him quit. Any opinions?

September 27, 2008, 7:34 pm CDT

Am I a control freak ?

My 16 yr old daughter puts off doing "projects" for school until the week or even days and NIGHT before they are due .... how can I get her to begin researching or working on them and continue to work on them slowly until due date vs. doing all at once when due? It, for some reason, stresses me out to the max. She is my only child so maybe that is why, SHE is all I have to concentrate on... She tells me if I am so "into" her projects, maybe I need to go back to school...ha. She's right, I guess. It's her class, her grade, her life...but it falls back on us parents.... she is a B/C student (capable of better though). I am proud of her. She is a good, respectful, young lady. I guess if her waiting until last minute is my biggest concern with her I am doing alright...just wondering WHY it bothers me so much she doesn't work on them. I am sooooo afraid she is not going to get it done, always does thouhg, but just irritates me. After writing all this, I feel kinda silly... she's right...it's HER project. Maybe she needs to stop telling me what and when things are due...???Maybe it's the junk laying all around the house that frustrates me, I see bits and pieces of things and none of it is being pulled together to make a project... the dumb insect thing for Biology... I have pinned dead, spread-winged insects on a board waiting to be put in a shadow box and labeled...DO IT and get it off my counter....geez, I feel better now. The leaf project due MONDAY, it's Saturday night....HELLO???, the leaves are drying out on the kitchen table...they need to be identified and displayed...how, when? Drives me nuts. I am a control freak, aren't I?

Again, Why does it bother me? I think I have forgotten what is was to be 16, huh?

September 27, 2008, 8:08 pm CDT

General Advice

Quote From: avenflower

Hi Moms and Dads, 

I'm in the process of finishing up a book and could really use your help. 

I need to know from you....
1. Why you use social parent sites or forums?
2. What you like about social parenting sites and forums? (meet other moms, learn answers to important questions)
3. What you don't like about them? (hard to use, addictive.)
4. And your age (demographics) 

If you would like to have your name in my book leave first, last and how many children you have.  

I am forever grateful for any input, it really makes a difference. 

Ashley 

Besides hopefully getting a question answered... I find that I am NOT alone in my questions/concern re: my children...it helps to know others have had same issues and/or someone is out there to offer help.

Female and 40+

A source of comfort... for questions answered and/or a  "place to vent" even if you do not get a response... is best way to describe these forums.

Likes:      Informative venue, even if not my concern yet, it may be someday and this is a place to find  answers.

Dislikes: None yet.

Good luck with your book!

First | Prev | 195 | 196 | 197 | 198 | 199 | 200 | 201 | 202 | 203 | Next | Last