Message Boards

Topic : 08/28 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later

Number of Replies: 127
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 25, 2006, 10:13:32 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil travels back to New Orleans, one year after Hurricane Katrina wiped out entire neighborhoods. He meets with FEMA director David Paulison to see first hand how the city is progressing. Touring the temporary housing in a trailer park, Dr. Phil and David hear from residents about their frustrations with FEMA. Then, Dr. Phil meets with a couple who says they had a picture perfect marriage, until Hurricane Katrina destroyed their lives. Brent and Stephanie relive the horror of what they witnessed a year ago. How is the stress of trying to rebuild their lives affecting their marriage and the health of their 2-year-old daughter? Then, Dr. Phil meets with Police Chief Warren Reilly in the Lower Ninth Ward, a neighborhood that was decimated when the levees broke. How is the rebuilding of the levees coming along? How is the mental and emotional health of the New Orleans police officers? Then, you’ve got the best seats in the house at a huge concert event to raise money for the first responders and their families. Brian McKnight, Brooks & Dunn, Jeff Foxworthy and Allen Toussaint come out to show New Orleans a good time in support of New Orleans Police Department, Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

September 1, 2006, 9:34 am CDT

you have your life that counts for something dosent it?

Quote From: linsijanna

Dr. Phil thank you for helping with the city of New Orleans.  I mad that you couldn't focus on a small town like Holly Beach in Cameron Parish.  Hurricane Rita deserves as much attention if not more then Hurricane Katrina.  We did what we were suppose to and we still got screwed by alot of people.  There hasn't been any account of someone raising their voice and complaining like in New Orleans.  Well you've met the one that ain't afraid of complaining about the lack of coverage, help, and support that we should have gotten!!!!!!!!!

We got flattened, and FEMA helped but nowhere good enough.  They give you this amount for your belongings and thats it.  Where am I suppose to but the belongings once I buy them---duh that money has to replace the place I lived in first and then whats left over goes for that.  I wasn't like some people I used that money for a down payment on a way to expensive place because my credit which is my own fault not blaming the Hurricane for that one, for my children to live in.  So nothing has been really replaced because of doing the first right thing.  Not getting a trailer from FEMA that I may or may not have to give back.  So doing the right thing still left us screwed.

So where is the help for the people doing the right thing and still have nothing.  At least trying to make it.  The ones that have to eat cereal with there kids for breakfast and dinner a couple of a week because we can't get any assistance for food because "we don't qualify" and still work everyday and still don't have.

My question to you is----Because we where smart enough to leave my home for the Hurricane and had nothing to come back to why are "people--big name people" not helping us.  Is it just because we haven't complained like the people of New Orleans have???

PLEASE answer that one for this TEXAS REDNECK, that you say you are.

Just like the people of New Orleans my marriage is ruff because of money, loss, and depression.  But again where is our help.  I said before my help is in the GULF with my stuff---long gone and not coming back. 

I love you to death but you have disappointed me.  Your show along with Oprah's have given to New Orleans and the people of New Orleans help, homes, money, counseling and etc.

Well I'm one to ask where is ours, why are we so different we need just as much as anyone in New Orleans.  So are you going to be the person I think you are and help the people that were devastated in Hurricane Rita the small towns the people who don't want to ever see the ocean again.  The ones that haven't complained so far and stood around waiting for hand outs.  As proud as I am now I was proud enough to ask where is MY help.  My children need things they need a mother who is not angry at everything that people are not doing.  Who can actually try to move on.  One step forward and pushed back to the end of the line.  Do I really need to write this for you to actually know how the OTHER small town people feel about all the people helping New Orleans out and not us.

I actually challenge you to do as much and help as much as you've done for New Orleans.  Now it really is time for someone to step us to say these things and ask where is our help we are no different except we actually try to help ourselves.

A VERY!!!!! PISSED OFF REDNECK IN LOUISANA

it is better to be pissed off than pissed on. !

September 2, 2006, 7:17 pm CDT

08/28 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later

Dr Phil is suppose to help people by giving them honest answers.  Where were those honest answers?   Brian Williams report was almost as nauseating.  Someone needs to tell Brian Williams that the levees broke on Tuesday morning and they were rescued on Friday...that is NOT a week.   He kept saying over and over how they had been there a week.      

1. Don't tell me that you did not have the money to evacuate when you have a 2 week old child in your arms and usually several more children running around.  If you had money to have children, then you have money to properly protect them from this storm by getting out of town.  If you are not that responsible, then no one can help someone who refuses to help themselves.    It is time to recognize that these were people on welfare for generations!   

2.  Why didn't Dr Phi ask about the 60 MILLION dollars that were suppose to be spent on those levees over the years only to learn that it has been "redirected"  (that is  the Louisiana word for stolen)?   Everyone knows the generations of corruption in Louisiana in general and New Orleans specifically.  It is the thing that books and movies are made about.  Don't sit there and blame the Corp of Engineers when you allowed your own state and local government to steal you blind!

3.    I had 37 family members affected ( most of them total destruction) and not one of them needed as much as a bottle of water from the government.  They did not need a FEMA trailer or any help whatsoever.  They were all properly insured because they are responsible adults.   And yet, I know of others who were sitting in a FEMA trailer and TAKING CRUISES!!   Here again, if they can afford to take cruises (I know one person who has been on 3 cruises just since Katrina)  then they don't need a FEMA trailer from the government.   You know this is not an isolated incident.  The multiple reports of Louis Vuitton purses and lap dances being purchase with those $2,000 FEMA cards. 

4.  Local 1st responders (cities, countries and the state) should be responsible for  emergency shelters.     There were 46,000 MREs delivered to the Superdome by the federal government before Katrina ever hit.   Did Mayor Nagin or Gov. Blockhead ordered them?    NOPE  The mean ole federal government said we think you are going to need these.   Those people went without water for those 3 days because Governor Blockhead would not let the American Red Cross in.  The Redcross was there and ready and Governor Blockhead said NO!    

5.  But the most telling of the kind of individual you are dealing with in this situation was the FACT that there was a group of Vietnamese at the Convention Center that Friday.    This group has been completely ignored by Dr Phil or Brian Williams or FOX or anyone else.       We saw them by accident.  But their actions spoke VOLUMES.    There they sat.  They had no help from anyone  (just like all those ungrateful welfare magots that were screaming and threatening to burn the Convention Center).   No one gave them water...no one gave them food.  But there they sat.    They were in a circle to one side of the Convention Center and the minute the TV panned them....their story told it all.  The circle they sat in was orderly and neat.  No one was deficating where they sat.  The children were inside the circle quietly playing.  No one was hollaring for help or  threatening others.  In their little circle, there was no chaos.  They had brought enough water and food with them to last several days.  They had actually PREPARED even though they did not know the levees would collapse.  There they sat.  And finally, when the helicopters arrived...they did not rush the gates.  There they sat.  Finally, a TV cameraman  caught them as a National Guard asked them if they were ready to leave...and their response was..."get everyone else out first, we don't want to get in the way."    They had elderly.  They had children.   And they properly cared for both.  In this horrible situation,  they were calm.    What a huge black eye they gave the New Orleans welfare community!!!

The bottom line is that people think that hurricanes are the only thing that happens to people.  Tell that to folks whose entire towns have been destroyed by a tornado (which happens more than hurricanes)  or  wildfires  (which happens more than hurricanes)  or earthquakes  or floods.  

And yet all these people manage to rebuild.   This country was built on individuals who understand personal responsibility and it will be destroyed by individuals who has no accountability whatsoever.     If a person can not afford flood insurance, than they should not be allowed to rebuild in New Orleans (below sea level) period!     It is no accident that New Orleans went 6 weeks without one murder and Houston's crime skyrocketed after the Katrina crud hit their streets.   These are facts and I sick and tired of everyone ignoring them.

I lived on the coast for years and went through many hurricanes.  It is time that people start using their hands to work instead of looking for a hand out!!  Just like I did.

September 4, 2006, 5:51 am CDT

Quote From: inhymn

Dr Phil is suppose to help people by giving them honest answers.  Where were those honest answers?   Brian Williams report was almost as nauseating.  Someone needs to tell Brian Williams that the levees broke on Tuesday morning and they were rescued on Friday...that is NOT a week.   He kept saying over and over how they had been there a week.      

1. Don't tell me that you did not have the money to evacuate when you have a 2 week old child in your arms and usually several more children running around.  If you had money to have children, then you have money to properly protect them from this storm by getting out of town.  If you are not that responsible, then no one can help someone who refuses to help themselves.    It is time to recognize that these were people on welfare for generations!   

2.  Why didn't Dr Phi ask about the 60 MILLION dollars that were suppose to be spent on those levees over the years only to learn that it has been "redirected"  (that is  the Louisiana word for stolen)?   Everyone knows the generations of corruption in Louisiana in general and New Orleans specifically.  It is the thing that books and movies are made about.  Don't sit there and blame the Corp of Engineers when you allowed your own state and local government to steal you blind!

3.    I had 37 family members affected ( most of them total destruction) and not one of them needed as much as a bottle of water from the government.  They did not need a FEMA trailer or any help whatsoever.  They were all properly insured because they are responsible adults.   And yet, I know of others who were sitting in a FEMA trailer and TAKING CRUISES!!   Here again, if they can afford to take cruises (I know one person who has been on 3 cruises just since Katrina)  then they don't need a FEMA trailer from the government.   You know this is not an isolated incident.  The multiple reports of Louis Vuitton purses and lap dances being purchase with those $2,000 FEMA cards. 

4.  Local 1st responders (cities, countries and the state) should be responsible for  emergency shelters.     There were 46,000 MREs delivered to the Superdome by the federal government before Katrina ever hit.   Did Mayor Nagin or Gov. Blockhead ordered them?    NOPE  The mean ole federal government said we think you are going to need these.   Those people went without water for those 3 days because Governor Blockhead would not let the American Red Cross in.  The Redcross was there and ready and Governor Blockhead said NO!    

5.  But the most telling of the kind of individual you are dealing with in this situation was the FACT that there was a group of Vietnamese at the Convention Center that Friday.    This group has been completely ignored by Dr Phil or Brian Williams or FOX or anyone else.       We saw them by accident.  But their actions spoke VOLUMES.    There they sat.  They had no help from anyone  (just like all those ungrateful welfare magots that were screaming and threatening to burn the Convention Center).   No one gave them water...no one gave them food.  But there they sat.    They were in a circle to one side of the Convention Center and the minute the TV panned them....their story told it all.  The circle they sat in was orderly and neat.  No one was deficating where they sat.  The children were inside the circle quietly playing.  No one was hollaring for help or  threatening others.  In their little circle, there was no chaos.  They had brought enough water and food with them to last several days.  They had actually PREPARED even though they did not know the levees would collapse.  There they sat.  And finally, when the helicopters arrived...they did not rush the gates.  There they sat.  Finally, a TV cameraman  caught them as a National Guard asked them if they were ready to leave...and their response was..."get everyone else out first, we don't want to get in the way."    They had elderly.  They had children.   And they properly cared for both.  In this horrible situation,  they were calm.    What a huge black eye they gave the New Orleans welfare community!!!

The bottom line is that people think that hurricanes are the only thing that happens to people.  Tell that to folks whose entire towns have been destroyed by a tornado (which happens more than hurricanes)  or  wildfires  (which happens more than hurricanes)  or earthquakes  or floods.  

And yet all these people manage to rebuild.   This country was built on individuals who understand personal responsibility and it will be destroyed by individuals who has no accountability whatsoever.     If a person can not afford flood insurance, than they should not be allowed to rebuild in New Orleans (below sea level) period!     It is no accident that New Orleans went 6 weeks without one murder and Houston's crime skyrocketed after the Katrina crud hit their streets.   These are facts and I sick and tired of everyone ignoring them.

I lived on the coast for years and went through many hurricanes.  It is time that people start using their hands to work instead of looking for a hand out!!  Just like I did.

I agree with your statement here. I see on the news that they are starting to acknowledge the rising crime rate in other states because of the influx of people from New Orleans. People these days seem to be afraid of a little hard work. If something like the depression hit again I wonder how many could survive. The false reports of suicide when wall street fell would probably become a fact if it were to happen today. What if something happened to the electrical grid where if it went down could not be repaired for a year or more how many could survive? This is the laziest bunch of Americans I think has ever been. There was a dictator I think it was Stalin who said Give the Americans time they will become so fat and lazy it will be easy to take over their country. Looks to me like his words held a lot of truth.

September 6, 2006, 7:56 pm CDT

Creole/Cajun Community post-Katrina

Theres other ethnic groups in N.O. other than trailer park whites and blacks living in a project-get the real news affecting the French-Creole/Cajun community post-Katrina.

http://www.creoleneworleans.typepad.com

September 7, 2006, 3:09 am CDT

Quote From: creoleguy32

Theres other ethnic groups in N.O. other than trailer park whites and blacks living in a project-get the real news affecting the French-Creole/Cajun community post-Katrina.

http://www.creoleneworleans.typepad.com

Yes I am sure there are but the old expression one bad apple spoils the bunch does seem to apply. Because of all the crimes that are being committed by the bad ones it really puts a black eye on those who come from that area who are good law abiding citizens.

October 24, 2006, 2:01 pm CDT

other town affected

Just felt like I need to say this. There were other towns and people affected by Katrina but no one seems to care about them. All that you hear is about N.O., I know that they were hit very bad but they were told to get out soon enough. There are alot of towns on the coast of Mississippi that are competely gone and also in Louisiana. But you never hear about those towns in the news. Anyway that is all that I wanted to say.

October 24, 2006, 2:09 pm CDT

Quote From: inhymn

just wanted to say thanks for saying what you did.It is something that needed to be said

First | Prev | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | Next Page | Last Page