Message Boards

Topic : 08/28 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later

Number of Replies: 127
New Messages This Week: 0
Last Reply On:
Created on : Friday, August 25, 2006, 10:13:32 am
Author : DrPhilBoard1
Dr. Phil travels back to New Orleans, one year after Hurricane Katrina wiped out entire neighborhoods. He meets with FEMA director David Paulison to see first hand how the city is progressing. Touring the temporary housing in a trailer park, Dr. Phil and David hear from residents about their frustrations with FEMA. Then, Dr. Phil meets with a couple who says they had a picture perfect marriage, until Hurricane Katrina destroyed their lives. Brent and Stephanie relive the horror of what they witnessed a year ago. How is the stress of trying to rebuild their lives affecting their marriage and the health of their 2-year-old daughter? Then, Dr. Phil meets with Police Chief Warren Reilly in the Lower Ninth Ward, a neighborhood that was decimated when the levees broke. How is the rebuilding of the levees coming along? How is the mental and emotional health of the New Orleans police officers? Then, you’ve got the best seats in the house at a huge concert event to raise money for the first responders and their families. Brian McKnight, Brooks & Dunn, Jeff Foxworthy and Allen Toussaint come out to show New Orleans a good time in support of New Orleans Police Department, Fire Department and Emergency Medical Services. Talk about the show here.

Find out what happened on the show.

More August 2006 Show Boards.

As of January, 2009, this message board will become "Read Only" and will be closed to further posting. Please join the NEW Dr. Phil Community to continue your discussions, personalize your message board experience, start a blog and meet new friends.

August 27, 2006, 8:08 am CDT

whatajerk

Shame on Nagin for his insensitive remarks about New York's "Hole In The Ground" when he referred to the WTC site.  Unfortunately, he seems to have very little recollection about the many New Yorkers and others around the country (still mourning the loss of their brothers and sisters in arms and loved ones)  who dug deep into their own personal pockets and forwarded donations of time, money, talent, expertise, knowledge and materials.  These people went to New Orleans, leaving their own families behind to help with the devastation there. Nagin owes New York and the rest of the Country an apology.  Without an apology forthcoming, should their be a repetition of the storm event of 2004; how many people does Nagin think will respond? 

'm worried that Nagin is still in office and that the people of New Orleans reelected him.  He seems to have a penchant for blaming others for his lack of leadership.  His vision seems to be hindsight.  In that regard, it's 20-20 all the way.  If he could be so callous as to refer to what the Country regards as the "sacred ground" of the World Trade Center site, where thousands of Americans lost their lives, as a "hole in the ground"; what could he possibly have to say to redeem himself with the people of New Orleans.

August 27, 2006, 8:24 am CDT

08/28 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later

Quote From: cathypritc

I just returned from New Orleans on a mission trip with my church.  We stayed in the French Quarter which was not affected by Katrina.  We did tour the area of devastation which was awful but we had to look hard to find it. 

It seems half the people of NO are removed and have no desire to return. The people who are there are dealing as best they can.  We had many people tell us that as bad as the worst area tooked, Mississippi had it a lot worse. These are the people in the French Quarter who now have rajor wire around their homes.

It really frustrates me that everyone focuses on New Orleans when Mississippi had the worst part of Katrina.  New Orleans was spared except for the levees breaking. and the people with their hands out waiting for the government to bail them out. 

Apparently Houston has twice the crime rate it had before Katrina (murders are up 18% which Houston police have atrtributed to evacuees from NO) while New Orleans has half the crime rate it had.  Although the night our church group pulled out from Vieux Carre Baptist Church,  there were  eight people murdered no more than 2 blocks away.  The National Guard had been obvious everywhere we went.  Apparently they had been called out the week before we arrived because of previous murders. 

So...if half the people have left and now live in elsewhere and are committing crime there - what does that tell you?  Of course. with a mayor like they have - who can't even see the difference between September 11th and the levees breaking in New Orleans and doesn't know how to MAKE the people leave, what could we expect?

Those people are accustomed to staying in bars and partying whenever a hurricane hits so they disregard what anyone says.  Then when their rental property is flooded they expect someone to bail them out.

I had never been to New Orleans before the last week of July (although I voluneered with the Salvation Army and the American Red Cross after Katrina hit) the architecturet impressed me,  and  I saw the areas of devastation, I still see no reason for the hoopla especially when here are people in Mississippi who have not received the attention and help they deserved althogh they were more devastated than NO.  They helped themselves and didn't beg. That's the differemce betweem the mentalities of the two states and  the people who run them..

Thanks!

Cathy Pritchett

Your church group??  Perhaps it would have been better for you to have stayed home and just watched the media coverage.  I think that most of the volunteers were there to help out, not to judge.  EVERYONE in the region was affected; however, the concentration of Citizens and the economic impact to the city (and our Nation)- not to mention the atrocity of ignorance on the part of the leaders and planners - were of such an impact that it merited most of the attention.  If you didn't see much devastation it  is obvious you didn't get out of your French Quarter hotel much; I drove through the City a few times and saw plenty of devastation.  And no, my demolished home in Slidell isn't mentioned much either, but I don't cry about the lack of noteriety.  I'm glad that you have had the opportunity to return to your pristeen life, and I hope you don't have to ever again suffer the indignity of being called to an area that's "not so bad".

August 27, 2006, 8:35 am CDT

hurrican Katrina

What happened to Mississippi, Alabama,and Louisana, one year ago was devistating everyone living in these area were hit hard though flooding and tornados ect. My heart goes out to all the survivors. these States will need out financal help for years . The most touching was a man serving our counrty in Iraq, who went home to nothing. He went back to Iraq and continue serving for our country.  What will happen to him when he returns home? he has nothing  to come home to.We need to continue to give to all charitys who are continuing to rebulid those lives.To our servicemen and women who were serving for our country and were effected we need to help them too. American Red Cross, Religious affiliates and Habitat for Humanity need our help now.   Also Salute American Hero's ,Paralyzed  American Veterans,The Salvation Army and Samaritan's Purse need our help mark your check" KatrinaHelp" to go and help our fellow Americans out. Like I said This will effect everyone and everyone needs to give to help rebulid American families. God Bless All who survied. I know my checks are in the mail as we speak to help my fellow Americans.May God bless you all....

August 27, 2006, 8:57 am CDT

08/28 Hurricane Katrina: One Year Later

Quote From: taylorsville

I agree with you 100% this is not right that all you ever hear about is New Orleans I grew up in Biloxi/Ocean Springs Mississippi area and they were hit VERY VERY BAD and no one is talking them up they have not winned and cried they have rebuilt and still rebuilding they want to put the town back to gether and NO ONE is writing stories about them. I ABSOLUTLY think it is B.S.!!!!!!!! Dr. Phil or staff if you read this open your eyes go do a story on the other people that was hit a lot harder than New Orleans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have to say I am with you on this, I live about 1 hour from New Orleans, and yes I was effected from the storm but to be honest if the leeves would have not broke New Orleans would have only got damage. Last month my family and I went to Florida and went thru Mississippi and my heart goes out to all those people. There was nothing left along the gulf homes flatten, business gone, I feel that they got the worst damage but you never hear about Mississippi all you here if poor old New Orleans

August 27, 2006, 9:05 am CDT

What about Rita?

I'm tired of all of the focus being on Hurricane Katrina and New Orleans.  I live in Lake Charles, LA and we were hit by Rita a month after Katrina.  We lost homes and are still trying to get our lives back together, but you never hear anything about Hurricane Rita on the news.  We were forgotten....it seems New Orleans is all you hear about.   And now, although we are still in devastation from when Rita hit, almost 11 months ago, we are now watching a new storm, Ernesto, to see if it is going to come our direction.  Please focus on other areas besides New Orleans for a change!

August 27, 2006, 9:09 am CDT

Can't forget

It is so important that we not forget the people who suffered great loss during Hurican Katrina. The rest of us can go on with our lives. They are still dealing with the devitation both physically and emotionally. We still need to help!

August 27, 2006, 9:35 am CDT

Right on the mark

Quote From: taylorsville

I agree with you 100% this is not right that all you ever hear about is New Orleans I grew up in Biloxi/Ocean Springs Mississippi area and they were hit VERY VERY BAD and no one is talking them up they have not winned and cried they have rebuilt and still rebuilding they want to put the town back to gether and NO ONE is writing stories about them. I ABSOLUTLY think it is B.S.!!!!!!!! Dr. Phil or staff if you read this open your eyes go do a story on the other people that was hit a lot harder than New Orleans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I couln't agree more !!  My husband and I served with the Red Cross at a shelter in Biloxi for 10 days last September.  So many homes there were wiped completely off the map-there was NOTHING but a cement slab left!! The focus was on New Orleans because the water was still covering the homes but the devastation in the Gulfport-Biloxi area was so much more!!! . Not only were so many homes COMPLETELY gone but so many more homes were uninhabitable. We drove the whole area wtih the sheriff and until you have seen the devastation in PERSON you can NEVER comprehend the whole picture. I cried then and I still cry today. I have so much compassion for everyone that was hit by Hurricane Katrina and Wilma but the public needs to know how many people were affected in other areas. Also KUDOS TO THE RED CROSS!! That fantastic orginazation  helped so many people-and are still helping so many today in every flood, tornado, fire, hurricane etc.The experience of helping and serving another human being was the most gratifying and rewarding experience that we have ever had and THIS chganged our lives forever! My hubby and I have decided to continue as volunteers and we are updated and ready to go but I truly hope there won't be another season like last year. Pray that Ernesto fizzles out!! 

August 27, 2006, 9:35 am CDT

PBS special

Quote From: gottacha

I viewed a Special Report on Chn. 20 PBS last night (Friday Aug. 25th) Featured was the Lindy Hospital and its Staff during the crisis.  The physician in charge equated it to the Holocost when

having to determine who gets saved (when help finally arrived days later) by having to write "A" on their foreheads for ambulatory, B wheelchair bound and C...critical and those, of course. were the last to be rescued .

As the doctor put it best, he couldn't believe he was in the US of A..".where was the calvary to help

them as the days passed, this isn't a third world country we live in."

We can only hope they (FEMA-government) has learned a valuable lesson, but as Nader put it so uneloquently, our government can't even fix a hole in the ground.

I also saw that same report on the Lindy Hospital and really could not believe the decisions etc. that the Dr. and staff had to make regarding who could leave and who could not. I really respect that when called on, sope special call be called up to the plate and do the job. I am looking forward to Dr. Phil's follow ups this week.

August 27, 2006, 10:41 am CDT

It is just awful

I am so saddened by the way these victims of the hurricane have been forgotten, can you imagine being without your home for more than a year ?? I can't how can a child comprehend such a loss let alone an adult. As americans we need to step up to the plate and do so much more. The Army Corps of Engineers needs to take responsibility for there mistake.

August 27, 2006, 10:54 am CDT

Clean Up

My husband has been in Plaquemines Parish Louisana doing clean up work for a month all I can say is the clean up crews are doing the best they can to get the job done.

First | Prev | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next | Last